Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Teen Titans movies proved you can't really do Judas Contract in one movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought it'd be fun if they did a Dark Knight: Metal either as one movie or two, but then I realized it would suck if they didn't go balls out on the animation and most of the DTV movies look like crap

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

The Teen Titans movies proved you can't really do Judas Contract in one movie.

I think in general the DTV movies (and to a larger extent, the history of comic book movies, period (lookin at you, X-Men)) has proved that you cannot adapt any famous storyline into one movie without either doing multiple films (a la Infinity War/Endgame) or truncating the poo poo out of it to where it's basically its own thing with only superficial resemblance to the original story (Extremis in IM3, World War Hulk in Thor Ragnarok kinda sorta)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 9, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Episodic animation really is the best format for superhero comic adaptations

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Episodic animation really is the best format for superhero comic adaptations

Agreed but not when presented as a series of loosely connected films. I'm watching the first JLD film and it's worse than the final one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Agreed but not when presented as a series of loosely connected films. I'm watching the first JLD film and it's worse than the final one.

Yeah, I noped out of that one about half an hour in even though I love Matt Ryan as Constantine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I noped out of that one about half an hour in even though I love Matt Ryan as Constantine.

That's the only reason I was watching it. I'm curious about the overall loose narrative and how well it flows from film to film so I'm going to try watching them in order from the beginning. Maybe next week.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I still feel very weird about Raven having been de-aged enough to be a love interest for Damian Wayne of all characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

I still feel very weird about Raven having been de-aged enough to be a love interest for Damian Wayne of all characters.

I never read the Teen Titans comics, was she ever involved with anyone in the OG crew?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I never read the Teen Titans comics, was she ever involved with anyone in the OG crew?

She had a fling with Wally West and later Beast Boy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

She had a fling with Wally West and later Beast Boy.

That just reminded me I never finished the second season of Titans gently caress Batman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That just reminded me I never finished the second season of Titans gently caress Batman.

It was pretty fun at times!

But not a lot of times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So against my better judgement I'm watching the new Justice League Dark and Raven just dropped an F-bomb in front of Superman, I would have assumed if any one was gonna do it, it'd be John Constantine.

Is this the first time someone's dropped an f-bomb in front of Superman?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

So against my better judgement I'm watching the new Justice League Dark and Raven just dropped an F-bomb in front of Superman, I would have assumed if any one was gonna do it, it'd be John Constantine.

In animation probably, almost definitely has happened in the comics, if in a censored form

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, that's the scene that made me stop and rewind.

It was really weird and, after having watched a few clips of Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, it looks like DC just kind of lost their poo poo around that movie since it's just as gratuitously gory and edgy as JLD 2.

In fact, you get to see Count Vertigo's head explode in a pretty close-up shot. It's not as horrifying as hearing Mera's screams in JLD 2 when you get to see her head being ripped in two by Paradooms. But still stupid as gently caress.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

In animation probably, almost definitely has happened in the comics, if in a censored form

I'm talking uncensored. Obviously in universe the fictitious character of Clark Kent/Superman has heard the word before, he's a reporter and married to another reporter

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the Elite has some swearing in front of Superman scenes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Wally West at first, but it was a terrible relationship. Had a will they or won't they thing with Jericho for the rest of Marv Wolfman's run. Then Beast Boy in the Johns era. Most recent thing was with the new Wally West which just shows how weird the de-aging is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think the Elite has some swearing in front of Superman scenes.

It's been awhile since I've seen that one, but I don't think anyone says "gently caress."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's been awhile since I've seen that one, but I don't think anyone says "gently caress."

I could have sworn Black says it. But I'm not watching that one again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I could have sworn Black says it. But I'm not watching that one again.

I'm pretty sure he just uses British obscenities which aren't considered obscene by americans, "bugger," "wanker," that sort of thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I gotta say, Luthor being reduced to a put upon middle manager of hell on earth is pretty good. But then they do poo poo like have incredibly brutal on screen deaths of four different female characters who are in the film for literally no reason except to brutally die on screen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I actually kinda liked the new JLD but the ending was bullshit. Not even the really the ending, just the last 30 seconds or so

Just ending with Flash going back in time to fix everything, but not showing what he actually does in any way whatsoever, I knew it was getting reset because of this thread, and even if I didn't I would have assumed that would happen since they rescued Flash and all the green lanterns are dead and Wonder Woman is a cyborg monstrosity. The just should have shown at least a brief glimpse of how Flash would make it better, maybe just him whispering something to Superman or Batman right before the start of the movie happens.

Still, better than I expected from a movie that has Superman calling for a preemptive invasion of a planet in the first two minutes. I do hope if they keep making these they bring back Superman's red trunks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I actually kinda liked the new JLD but the ending was bullshit. Not even the really the ending, just the last 30 seconds or so

Just ending with Flash going back in time to fix everything, but not showing what he actually does in any way whatsoever, I knew it was getting reset because of this thread, and even if I didn't I would have assumed that would happen since they rescued Flash and all the green lanterns are dead and Wonder Woman is a cyborg monstrosity. The just should have shown at least a brief glimpse of how Flash would make it better, maybe just him whispering something to Superman or Batman right before the start of the movie happens.

Still, better than I expected from a movie that has Superman calling for a preemptive invasion of a planet in the first two minutes. I do hope if they keep making these they bring back Superman's red trunks.

Speaking of Supes...he's basically Jesus in this. He is the only person (aside from Constantine) that's completely fine at the end. No body mods, no nothing physical. He's just like he was at the beginning of the movie. He didn't even age.

Hell, Constantine almost broke his hand and that was a depowered Superman. That bothered me actually. If he's depowered, he shouldn't have invulnerable skin/bones.

Though Superman is basically Jesus in everything he's been in, this just kind of makes it more annoying somehow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of Supes...he's basically Jesus in this. He is the only person (aside from Constantine) that's completely fine at the end. No body mods, no nothing physical. He's just like he was at the beginning of the movie. He didn't even age.

Hell, Constantine almost broke his hand and that was a depowered Superman. That bothered me actually. If he's depowered, he shouldn't have invulnerable skin/bones.

Though Superman is basically Jesus in everything he's been in, this just kind of makes it more annoying somehow.

This is actually one of the things with Superman where he's the least like Jesus. Constantine is Jesus in this one, which is a sentence I never thought I'd type. Is tested morally, forced to doubt himself, betrayed by someone he loves after he kissed them, still does the right thing, dies, goes to heaven, comes back to save the rest of us sinners

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

Wally West at first, but it was a terrible relationship. Had a will they or won't they thing with Jericho for the rest of Marv Wolfman's run. Then Beast Boy in the Johns era. Most recent thing was with the new Wally West which just shows how weird the de-aging is.

It felt like much of Raven and Gar's relationship was truncated by One Year Later and that the whole thing was there as some sort of vague acknowledgment of the shipping in the cartoon. It's a shame as it would have been nice to have seen, say, Sean McKeever write it when he got on the book but as he says by the time he was a writer he was basically just doing dialogue for the editor.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

It felt like much of Raven and Gar's relationship was truncated by One Year Later and that the whole thing was there as some sort of vague acknowledgment of the shipping in the cartoon. It's a shame as it would have been nice to have seen, say, Sean McKeever write it when he got on the book but as he says by the time he was a writer he was basically just doing dialogue for the editor.

Essentially, yeah. It's a neat idea, and lord knows I read a lot of fanfics in middle school for the ship. But as it is in the comics, it's a very under developed. They have their relationship almost entirely off screen, and soens the rest of the era until the reboot doing tedious will they or won't they plots.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Roth posted:

Is that de-aging or is that the logarithmic aging of comic books where young characters can age at a faster rate, since all their stories will be about them aging while the closer to adulthood they get, the slower they age, because writers only want to write about characters who have been around for 80 years feeling old in alternate timelines.

Raven's only been around for 39 years, that's still whippersnapper territory in comic time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That doesn't make it not weird

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ThermoPhysical posted:

It was really weird and, after having watched a few clips of Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, it looks like DC just kind of lost their poo poo around that movie since it's just as gratuitously gory and edgy as JLD 2.

In fact, you get to see Count Vertigo's head explode in a pretty close-up shot. It's not as horrifying as hearing Mera's screams in JLD 2 when you get to see her head being ripped in two by Paradooms. But still stupid as gently caress.

This is my one issue with the Harley series. There's just so much unnecessary gore in every episode that it just loses all shock value. Which is a real shame because otherwise it's a really well written show, but falls in the trap a lot of adult cartoons do where they just go overboard with graphic violence and language.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

This is actually one of the things with Superman where he's the least like Jesus. Constantine is Jesus in this one, which is a sentence I never thought I'd type. Is tested morally, forced to doubt himself, betrayed by someone he loves after he kissed them, still does the right thing, dies, goes to heaven, comes back to save the rest of us sinners

Rereading my post, I think I more meant that he's like a god, not specifically Jesus. And yah, you're right, that more fits Constantine than Superman.

JT Smiley posted:

This is my one issue with the Harley series. There's just so much unnecessary gore in every episode that it just loses all shock value. Which is a real shame because otherwise it's a really well written show, but falls in the trap a lot of adult cartoons do where they just go overboard with graphic violence and language.

While I do like the Harley Quinn series, I do agree that there's a ton of gore in it. Especially the first episode.

Some scenes, okay, fine but... almost every fight is gory or graphic in some way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Rereading my post, I think I more meant that he's like a god, not specifically Jesus. And yah, you're right, that more fits Constantine than Superman.

I just thought it was funny because there is a lot of other stuff where Superman is a Jesus metaphor an I hadn't thought about applying that to Apocalypse War, and then when I did think about it that way it fit John loving Constantine better.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

While I do like the Harley Quinn series, I do agree that there's a ton of gore in it. Especially the first episode.

Some scenes, okay, fine but... almost every fight is gory or graphic in some way.

i like to think its realistic in a way DCAU shows never have been

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
like, its the only show where king shark bites people in half like a shark err.....would

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

scary ghost dog posted:

i like to think its realistic in a way DCAU shows never have been

It's a fantastic cartoon about relationships and the importance of a positive self-image. That says gently caress and has gore in it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I gotta say, Luthor being reduced to a put upon middle manager of hell on earth is pretty good. But then they do poo poo like have incredibly brutal on screen deaths of four different female characters who are in the film for literally no reason except to brutally die on screen.

One weird thing I noticed was Starfire being shown 100% dead in Damian's flashback, yet she still shows up as one of the new furies later on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vakal posted:

One weird thing I noticed was Starfire being shown 100% dead in Damian's flashback, yet she still shows up as one of the new furies later on.

C O M I C B O O K S

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, I meant to ask earlier, when did Luthor join the Justice League in the DTV continuity? The new Justice League Dark was the first one of the Justice League movies I was able to get more than half an hour into.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Stuff like that last sentence is why I have no interest in watching these movies. I don't really want to see stuff like that. Someone said it was like Ultimatum but for DC and seems like that includes all the gross death stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Stuff like that last sentence is why I have no interest in watching these movies. I don't really want to see stuff like that. Someone said it was like Ultimatum but for DC and seems like that includes all the gross death stuff too.

In a blink and you'll miss it cameo a Barbara Gordon Batgirl is dismembered by parademons. I'm just guessing it's Barbara, it's one of her costumes and she has red hair but no lines.