Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Warner Bros has put up a full Bugs Bunny short from the new series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Some of those jokes are amazing. Straight up laugh out loud funny.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cavelcade posted:

Some of those jokes are amazing. Straight up laugh out loud funny.

Sam hates liberals. Yeah I could see that. ahaha

Also Bugs' reality breaking was hilarious and caught me off guard.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Love to mindlessly reheat the same lovely transphobic tropes that Bugs Bunny has been serving up for literal decades.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
At least Bugs Bunny was unable to do what he planned to do in the Kongo. If he took the wrong direction in Luxemburg he probably came straight from Belgium.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Just blazed through the last 2 seasons of Stars vs. and holy poo poo. I convinced my wife to watch 6 episodes a day so she can see it all from the beginning before Disney+ expires.

Another question, I think I remember reading that Season 3 of Gargoyles was garbage except for certain episodes. If so, which ones? Or should I just skip The Goliath Chronicles completely?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...how? He seems like pretty much the complete opposite in every imaginable way.

It's mostly the voice, I think, along with a certain amount of unflappability.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 7, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Weisman worked on episode 1 of Goliath Chronicles and he still considers it canon. Everything else, you can throw out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Argue posted:

Weisman worked on episode 1 of Goliath Chronicles and he still considers it canon. Everything else, you can throw out.

Thanks! It took me a long time to get around to watching this and I'm enjoying it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beachcomber posted:

I still don't really see it at all, aside from having a kinda funny voice.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Does anyone know why you can't save kids videos to watch later? I get there's a stupid law, but how is that provision supposed to protect kids?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aside from the 20-year old law suddenly being threatened to be enforced, Youtube has had a history of not being able to deal with other creepy poo poo involving kids' content, so their grand idea for dealing with it was just to cut all the exploitable features.

Beachcomber posted:

Just blazed through the last 2 seasons of Stars vs. and holy poo poo. I convinced my wife to watch 6 episodes a day so she can see it all from the beginning before Disney+ expires.

Another question, I think I remember reading that Season 3 of Gargoyles was garbage except for certain episodes. If so, which ones? Or should I just skip The Goliath Chronicles completely?

I think Star vs. is still on Hulu, although I guess you've probably finished by now.

I've never watched Young Sheldon, but does he sound like a nasally 50-year old man? I love Weird Al to death, but he's not the best choice for playing a middleschooler.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTuUoeNNrB8

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Victor and Valentino keeps doing this thing where Victor is unambiguously the rear end in a top hat of an episode but the show treats it like both characters are in the wrong. It's very annoying and needs to stop.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

In memory of Little Richard, here's a clip from the best 90s kid show that doesn't get nearly enough love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2q42APfII

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Trapdoor also owned. Best episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlCD7GR2JI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love our homegrown British stuff where it was all made by 2 people and voiced by a single person (like the amazing Willie Rushton there). The 70s and 80s were such a great little time capsule for animation in the UK).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come And See posted:

In memory of Little Richard, here's a clip from the best 90s kid show that doesn't get nearly enough love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2q42APfII

I never saw that, but I recognize the green guy from ads. I think maybe it was on before I started watching on-air TV.

Anyways, this what I think of first with Little Richard, although this is probably much more relevant.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Love to mindlessly reheat the same lovely transphobic tropes that Bugs Bunny has been serving up for literal decades.

I'm really not sure if it was transphobic. Sam was only mad that a rabbit got on the rollercoaster, not that the rabbit was really a man.
It did feel weird as a joke to see in 2020 though.

The very last bit I laughed at. But I definitely don't like bugs new voice actor. With a lot of replacement voice actors you can't tell but this bugs doesn't sound much like Mel honestly

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Taear posted:

I'm really not sure if it was transphobic. Sam was only mad that a rabbit got on the rollercoaster, not that the rabbit was really a man.
It did feel weird as a joke to see in 2020 though.

The very last bit I laughed at. But I definitely don't like bugs new voice actor. With a lot of replacement voice actors you can't tell but this bugs doesn't sound much like Mel honestly

Yeah it threw me off incredibly badly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

One of my first exposures to his music that I remember!

SlothfulCobra posted:

although this is probably much more relevant.

No loving way... I NEVER realized this and I grew up with this show and watched every single episode. Holy poo poo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never saw that, but I recognize the green guy from ads. I think maybe it was on before I started watching on-air TV.

Anyways, this what I think of first with Little Richard, although this is probably much more relevant.

You know, the lyric "strap yourself into the seat" assumes a lot about school bus safety precautions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The_Doctor posted:

I love our homegrown British stuff where it was all made by 2 people and voiced by a single person (like the amazing Willie Rushton there). The 70s and 80s were such a great little time capsule for animation in the UK).

I got around to watching Captain Zed and the Zee Zone on youtube last year and it's great. It's just a shame that due to vhs degradation and no official releases on home video, only the first season is actually watchable, the later episodes have so much white noise the audio is basically silent. Which sucks because it had great satire and even expanded it's universe in some episodes.

The best surviving episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwqcdOIIDTo&t=2s

There is a lot of character behind the main character too like he is so focused on work he neglects his own care so his ship is falling apart, and even when taking a break he finds ways to work, like vacationing in videogame dreams because he loves playing with children and that's a good way for him to do it with no danger around.

Also they have interesting rules, like they cannot intervene unless the child directly asks for help, until then they are stuck watching. There's a particularly unique episode where Zed gets trapped in a dream and can't escape it, with the big problem being that no one knows what will happen if the child wakes up and the Dream Patrol is still in there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never watched Young Sheldon, but does he sound like a nasally 50-year old man? I love Weird Al to death, but he's not the best choice for playing a middleschooler.

I've never watched it either, and I'm mostly over it anyway.

Milo got a little too real today. His parents have a dream board, but on the other side is a shattered dream board. #1 entry is "Lower insurance rates."

Later, Mom and Dad are about to do roller disco when dad says "I'm just going to dial 91 now to save time. (beat) That's my friend's number. He can drive us to the hospital."

Clearly, their insurance rates are so ruinous that they can't afford an ambulance. Like many Americans who don't have supernatural bad luck.

Biting social commentary.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's a similar joke in Mao Mao somewhere:

"Shouldn't we take him to see a doctor?"

"Doctor? What do you want with those whackadoos? We're magic!"

<beat>

"Okay, fine, so he doesn't have insurance."

"No one does! But is he gonna be okay?"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsi-7bndYU

She-Ra Season 5 Trailer. [The Final Season]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I noticed Infinity Train S1 on dvd in Target this evening, but it doesn’t seem to be on Blu-ray.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like Milo's parents. It's nice when the series protagonist has parents that are both A) alive B) not evil C) kind and supportive to their kids. The part where Milo's mom told him that it's fine if he can't decide on a career option now, and explaining how she herself bounced around a lot of careers before finding one that clicked for her, felt rather real to me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I like about it is that Milo isn't a pariah - he simply has a splash zone that people stay out of and he's fine with that because most people couldn't handle what he goes through. If someone is either stupid enough or brave enough to hang out with him, then he knows that he can rely on them. I also like characters like the girl who is obsessed with organisation and therefore initially hates when Milo comes along to things because of the chaos he brings, but after enough exposure to his bullshit she realises she actually likes having him around simply because anything that could go wrong can also be fixed by him. Even if he's not there something might break just out of bad luck, and at least if he's there someone will be prepped to fix it.

Also Cavendish and Dakota have a great relationship.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I also like characters like the girl who is obsessed with organisation and therefore initially hates when Milo comes along to things because of the chaos he brings, but after enough exposure to his bullshit she realises she actually likes having him around simply because anything that could go wrong can also be fixed by him. Even if he's not there something might break just out of bad luck, and at least if he's there someone will be prepped to fix it.

The other great thing about it is that when things went really wrong for Amanda in the opera and in the party, Milo doesn't help her out to improve his chances with her. He does it because it's the right thing to do and he knows how important those events are for her. The thing between them is built up over several episodes, so it feels natural when the two finally show attraction to one another. It's a stark contrast to Zack and Melissa's kiss in season 2's finale. Now that one came out of nowhere. I never even got the impression that the two liked each other as more than friends.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Cavendish and Dakota have a great relationship.

Season 3 needs to be greenlit, so these two can finally get married. :argh:

I like getting friends to watch this show with me (spoiler'd for the person watching the show) just to see their reaction to the reveal that Dakota's gone full Homura Akemi and keeps turning back time to save the person most important to him.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4IUKV1cV4I

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm watching season 2 of The Hollow on Netflix. I like that like Infinity Train it's a totally different story with completely different stakes. It's also got some frankly hilarious stuff like in the penultimate episode with Rumplestiltskin and the Three Little Pigs

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh hey, a new Owl House episode, and it has a Big Boss body pillow.

Hang on, go back. Where did this show up? Because I'm not seeing it.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

ThunderCats Roar has the best interpretation of Mumm-ra.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Xelkelvos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsi-7bndYU

She-Ra Season 5 Trailer. [The Final Season]
I guess that's fair, but it's really more like 4 seasons worth of episode.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe I'm just too old now at 32 for Looney Tunes but that just annoyed me? Bugs was funny but this was mean for literally no reason and I guess we were supposed to cheer for Daffy because...it's Daffy and it's ok that he's an rear end in a top hat because it's funny?

If we're supposed to cheer for Porky, that just made me sympathize with him and just be really annoyed that Daffy kept loving things up for no reason.

With Bugs, it was him just trying to have fun while Sam was an rear end in a top hat and you rooted for Bugs only because he wasn't trying to hurt anyone. Any pain or suffering was 100% on Sam.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

well the short does end with Daffy being buried under cement by Porky

also TIL one of the studios working on the upcoming Animaniacs Hulu show is Titmouse

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

well the short does end with Daffy being buried under cement by Porky

also TIL one of the studios working on the upcoming Animaniacs Hulu show is Titmouse

Speaking of the Animaniacs reboot, do we have a start date for that yet?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Maybe I'm just too old now at 32 for Looney Tunes but that just annoyed me? Bugs was funny but this was mean for literally no reason and I guess we were supposed to cheer for Daffy because...it's Daffy and it's ok that he's an rear end in a top hat because it's funny?

If you look back on OG Looney Tunes, a good chunk of Daffy/Porky one were of Daffy being an rear end in a top hat to porky. Daffy has always been an rear end in a top hat and starting trouble.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

mateo360 posted:

If you look back on OG Looney Tunes, a good chunk of Daffy/Porky one were of Daffy being an rear end in a top hat to porky. Daffy has always been an rear end in a top hat and starting trouble.

They eventually made Daffy into a long-suffering fall guy because being an rear end in a top hat to people for no reason is really Bugs' schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Madurai posted:

They eventually made Daffy into a long-suffering fall guy because being an rear end in a top hat to people for no reason is really Bugs' schtick.

They've all played around with roles in a few ways over the years. Have they ever examined that in-character? I did hear about a bit in The Looney Tunes Show where Daffy complains how Bugs always wins with minimal effort and Daffy always loses no matter how hard he tries, and Bugs actually feels bad because he realises Daffy has a point.

Animaniacs also had a few bits where they examine cartoon roles; the Warner Siblings' usual schtick is to mildly annoy people into snapping so they can go all out, but when dealing with an obnoxiously saccharine nanny who they can't get rid of, and can't retaliate against since she isn't doing anything malicious- so they call in Slappy Squirrel, who isn't nearly so discriminating.

Though in general the old Looney Tunes are defined a bit by having specific rules, especially Wile E Coyote, which sometimes fall by the wayside in later adaptations for various reasons.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 13, 2020