Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Batman ever gone back in time to kill his own parents? I have read a story where he gets sent back in time and saves his parents, therefore causing a time paradox and erasing himself from existence, but I wonder if the opposite has happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

....I wonder how many people were introduced to Aquaman in the movies and then saw him on the comics or Injustice 2 and went "Why is Aquaman a blonde dude"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Siegkrow posted:

....I wonder how many people were introduced to Aquaman in the movies and then saw him on the comics or Injustice 2 and went "Why is Aquaman a blonde dude"

Probably next to none.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Batman ever gone back in time to kill his own parents? I have read a story where he gets sent back in time and saves his parents, therefore causing a time paradox and erasing himself from existence, but I wonder if the opposite has happened

Not Batman but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY09EnD_Pak

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does Injustice 2 have a Mamoa costume? I know their Green Arrow has a Stephen Amell costume with him also doing voice work

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schneider Heim posted:

To Kill a Legend grapples with the idea of whether Bruce should prevent the death of his parents, although it's not about whether he should kill them directly.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Does Injustice 2 have a Mamoa costume? I know their Green Arrow has a Stephen Amell costume with him also doing voice work

Nope. Outside of Zod DLC in the first game, the Injustice series has largely ignored DC’s live action films.

Siegkrow posted:

Zero.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm trying to collect all of the X-Men's major and/or notable appearances. I got the Children of the Atom box set so I have almost everything from the 60s and 70s but I was wondering if I missed anything obvious. I'm getting the Champions hardcover which covers what Angel and Iceman were up to during their extended absence from the X-Men book but was wondering if I'm missing anything else..?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm trying to collect all of the X-Men's major and/or notable appearances. I got the Children of the Atom box set so I have almost everything from the 60s and 70s but I was wondering if I missed anything obvious. I'm getting the Champions hardcover which covers what Angel and Iceman were up to during their extended absence from the X-Men book but was wondering if I'm missing anything else..?

I haven't read any of the stories, so I can't help you out with issue numbers, but Beast spent a good chunk of time on The Avengers.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read any of the stories, so I can't help you out with issue numbers, but Beast spent a good chunk of time on The Avengers.

Ah yeah, that's true. He was in the Defenders for a while after that too, if I recall correctly. That may be too much to include in my little project

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Hippo posted:

Ah yeah, that's true. He was in the Defenders for a while after that too, if I recall correctly. That may be too much to include in my little project

Angel, Iceman, and Beast were part of the "New Defenders" team, albeit only briefly because the book was canceled a couple years later.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Selachian posted:

Angel, Iceman, and Beast were part of the "New Defenders" team, albeit only briefly because the book was canceled a couple years later.

So they could go to x-factor

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Happy Hippo posted:

He also had a very short lived solo run in Amazing Adventures in 1971/2 from #11 through issue 16. Mostly notable because he turned into animal-like Beast for the first time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also because he’s involved in the death of the greatest x-men of all: Mimic.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

He also had a very short lived solo run in Amazing Adventures in 1971/2 from #11 through issue 16. Mostly notable because he turned into animal-like Beast for the first time.

That's collected in the Children of the Atom box set, which I have

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh. So when do these looks for Riddler and Penguin date from?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Pretty recently, I think they debuted at the beginning of James Tynion and Guillem March's run on Batman which is only a few issues old. I think the All-New, All-Naked Riddler first showed up in #87.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Was Penguin always a monster guy or just a chubby short guy with a theme? Was the Batman Returns that pushed the monster guy angle, or has it been around forever?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Changes from artist to artist and depends on what story needs (ie is horror or crime). Sometimes he is a short guy with a long pencil nose and a bloated tummy, and sometimes...he is the above.
Batman's villains are versatile enough that they have a basic framework of what they look like and then can be amped up or toned down according to the stories needs.
I think most people base their visualization on these characters based on Aparo who had a more toned down, realistic style whereas an artist like Jones will turn up the monster aspect.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Was Penguin always a monster guy or just a chubby short guy with a theme? Was the Batman Returns that pushed the monster guy angle, or has it been around forever?

In Detective Comics #58 (1941), his first appearance, he's actually pretty adorable:

He generally just looked like a slightly goofy looking little guy for most of the Golden Age and Silver Age, then in the 70s some artists like Mike Grell drew him as a little more exaggeratedly Penguin-like-- a longer, pointer nose, beadier eyes, etc.

Post-Crisis they really emphasized him as more of a rational, sometimes even suave type of criminal, and introduced the stuff about him flirting with legitimacy along with a stint in the Suicide Squad. Throughout the 80s you got depictions ranging from Sam Keith's almost dignified portrait in 1989's Secret Origins Special #1:

to the slightly goofier, more Burgess Merdeith-influenced camp Penguin of Suicide Squad:

Even after Batman Returns and the subsequent Devito-esque Penguin of the cartoon, he remained pretty grounded throughout the 90s:

Showcase '94 #7

Detective Comics #683 (1995)

By 1999 you had a split between stuff like Alex Maleev's pretty slick Penguin from No Man's Land #1:

a more cartoony take from the same arc by D'Israaeli in SHadow of the Bat #85:
:
and a return to the movie's much more monstrous and grotesque take on the cover of the same issue (by Ted McKeever):

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

this is how bara artists draw dicks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I ask because twitter friends and mutuals have been going nuts over them in Gotham then checking out the comics to follow up and finding... that. :v:

Why is Riddler a nude weirdo now?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah both characters are really good and cool in Gotham, one of the main reasons I liked it so much is that Robin Lord Taylor is incredibly charismatic and odd at once, just a super interesting and very crisply defined performance. And the Riddler is nude now because James Tynion is not a very good writer.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 25, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Poor Riddler, no one knows what to do with you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

Poor Riddler, no one knows what to do with you.

I quite liked the reformed private detective version of the riddler myself, but I knew that wouldnt last forever because in comics almost no-one can stay reformed, unless they quit being a villain a decade before the current writers were born.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SiKboy posted:

I quite liked the reformed private detective version of the riddler myself, but I knew that wouldnt last forever because in comics almost no-one can stay reformed, unless they quit being a villain a decade before the current writers were born.

They should screen for nostalgia when hiring new writers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Are you now or have you ever been Geoff Johns?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

"Who is Green Lantern? Be warned, there are wrong answers."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

"Should Mogo socialize? [Y/N]"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
When did Riddler transform into Eminem?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Eminigmem

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SonicRulez posted:

When did Riddler transform into Eminem?

About the time he started asking all the questions! “My name is what? My name is who?”

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I was thinking the Riddler would be great as a conspiracy theory nut but then I remember that the Question exists.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I'm reading through a curated complete identity crisis, and suddenly wonder woman is blind when she pops up in gotham. Uh...how and why? Its in Adventures of Superman 636 and it doesn't slow down at all to fill the reader in.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I'm reading through a curated complete identity crisis, and suddenly wonder woman is blind when she pops up in gotham. Uh...how and why? Its in Adventures of Superman 636 and it doesn't slow down at all to fill the reader in.

It's from Rucka's original run, IIRC. Wonder Woman got in a fight with Medusa. She was blindfolded at first to protect herself, but when the blindfold got ripped off in the fight, she grabbed one of Medusa's hair-snakes and sprayed venom in her eyes to blind herself. Athena eventually got around to fixing her eyes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Also, I think Medusa could compel her to look at her, she wasn't just being really dramatic.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

That was a great take. Still an antagonist in his needing to solve crimes before Batman could.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
there was a moment where Dick Grayson Batman was trying to convince Riddler he was the real Batman

like, Grayson has Tim Drake in his ear, helping to coach him on the current case so Dick can sound like he knows what he's talking about (Dick's a good detective, but he's not Bruce and he's not Nigma, and obviously Tim's not going to look very convincing in the bat suit)

and the whole time Riddler's thinking "this guy isn't Batman, but he knows his poo poo well enough that I'll play along and see where this goes"

it was such a neat moment for every character involved, so of course Riddler became a bad guy again and Dick isn't Batman anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Selachian posted:

It's from Rucka's original run, IIRC. Wonder Woman got in a fight with Medusa. She was blindfolded at first to protect herself, but when the blindfold got ripped off in the fight, she grabbed one of Medusa's hair-snakes and sprayed venom in her eyes to blind herself. Athena eventually got around to fixing her eyes.

It lasted all of one story arc, too, so Wonder Woman was blind for maybe four months.