Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

LCS is apparently going to reopen with curbside pickup, and they seem to have a program where other customers are paying for less fortunate readers' back orders.

So I think I'm back in.

That's nice. I'm hoping my LCS will be able to do curbside pickup at least when Marvel starts shipping again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh my loving god.

https://twitter.com/elbusyo/status/1259162516598345728?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That might be the single most passive aggressive thing I've ever seen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Random Stranger posted:

Amanda Palmer announced their divorce on her Patreon before she told him about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Amanda Palmer announced their divorce on her Patreon before she told him about it.

Hahaha WHAT.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

Hahaha WHAT.

You gotta remember, this is the woman who faked her own suicide and then recorded her boyfriend at the time coming home and finding her apparent corpse and then used the recording of his anguished cries on an album

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

You gotta remember, this is the woman who faked her own suicide and then recorded her boyfriend at the time coming home and finding her apparent corpse and then used the recording of his anguished cries on an album

I'm sorry WHAT

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rhyno posted:

I'm sorry WHAT

Dude. Spend a day on this, there's a reason that Neil is a huge dick in all of this and the majority of folks are still going "gently caress Palmer", woman is a class of her own. It's a wild ride.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just spent 5 minutes WHAT THE gently caress

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

I just spent 5 minutes WHAT THE gently caress

Yeah it might be because I've met and talked to him a few times and he seemed a pretty dece guy but I'm kind of firmly on His Side in all this, insomuch as that matters in celebrity matters. How he got into the sitch in the first place though...

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Random Stranger posted:

If he's using a Kindle, then it might be posting and updating GoodReads automatically. It's an easy setting to forget about.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From 2 minutes of looking at Twitter: Claims the reading this was him being hacked, also the patreon thing is that it was news to him she announced it, not that they were broken up.

Also I can’t imagine caring about the relationship of people I don’t know, so I’m already disappointed in myself for spending those two minutes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think sometimes the personal details of comic book industry peoples' lives are relevant here-- like if I don't know, Geoff John rescued someone from a burning building, or killed 18 people, I'd want to know-- but I don't think gossiping about the sordid details of somebody's divorce really really needs to be here. If you all really want to continue along this line of discussion feel free I guess, I'm saying this more in my capacity as just some specific bitch online than I am as a mod, but please try to stick to nominally comics-chat adjacent stuff about it and if it gets really gross I'll just say knock it off.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 9, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/lantweets/status/1259183918705770496?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

As interesting as a series about Mr Fantastic and Drax being best buds would be, it'd also feel like Ben Grimm erasure.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I can't believe Geoff Johns killed 18 people by throwing them out the windows of a burning building

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Alaois posted:

I can't believe Geoff Johns killed 18 people by throwing them out the windows of a burning building

He was driven mad by the Heat Force.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is a good site.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 9, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Some sad comics news-- Richard Sala has passed away at 61.

I don't think we can imagine people like Alex Degen, Jesse Moynihan, or even Katie Skelly without his example-- that unmistakable mixing of the gothic and the camp into a lurid, playful vision that's all about celebrating surface and contrast.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 10, 2020

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me how I know this, but "Did the Simpsons Predict Crisis on Infinite Earths?" will be the very last piece of data uploaded to the Internet before everything ends.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

How Wonderful! posted:

Some sad comics news-- Richard Sala has

Ah man that sucks :(

https://twitter.com/fantagraphics/status/1259253229118017536?s=19

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alaois posted:

Still not as much of a crime as Doomsday Clock.

Edit: From that CBR Headline Generator which seems to make real headlines about 20% of the time:

Dan DiDio: How His Long-Lost Brother FINALLY Brought Him Down

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 10, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Still not as much of a crime as Doomsday Clock.

Did the last issue come out before all this current bullshit?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Yes, last December.

I'm sure in universe COVID will be revealed to be a plot by Ozymandias or Bras de Oliva Domigos

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Yup, was actually pretty good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Yup, was actually pretty good

If the libraries ever open again I'll read the trade.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Would anybody be interested in a "let's read"/bookclub thread for Love & Rockets? It's all in print afaik, at least most of it, in nicely collected and widely available volumes, it's substantial, it's episodic enough to be tackled in manageable chunks, and it's super loving good. I'd like to propose maybe just working through one brother then another, mostly because I've been thinking about a Hoppers re-read.

I know there was some idle book-clubbish chat a few weeks ago, and some Hernandez chat last week-- would people be into this?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How Wonderful! posted:

Would anybody be interested in a "let's read"/bookclub thread for Love & Rockets? It's all in print afaik, at least most of it, in nicely collected and widely available volumes, it's substantial, it's episodic enough to be tackled in manageable chunks, and it's super loving good. I'd like to propose maybe just working through one brother then another, mostly because I've been thinking about a Hoppers re-read.

I know there was some idle book-clubbish chat a few weeks ago, and some Hernandez chat last week-- would people be into this?

Yes!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How Wonderful! posted:

I'd love to be in on a curated book club with people that know more about comics than me. Gives me an excuse to actually read comics.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Roth posted:

I'd love to be in on a curated book club with people that know more about comics than me. Gives me an excuse to actually read comics.

Ditto, count me in

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Fourthed? Fifthed?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I bought a bunch of L&R on Comixology a while ago and just needed the right occasion to dive in - this sounds like as good a sign as any! Count me in.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, sounds wonderful. I have the first two big Locas hardcovers and the first 6 or 7 Love and Rockets New Stories volumes. Is there other Jamie stuff I'm missing?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I'm late but absolutely HW!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, sounds wonderful. I have the first two big Locas hardcovers and the first 6 or 7 Love and Rockets New Stories volumes. Is there other Jamie stuff I'm missing?
I can work something up for the thread, but if we're doing a Jaime/Hoppers book club:

Jaime's stories from the original L&R run from the 1980s-1990s are collected in
v1: Maggie the Mechanic
v2: The Girl from HOPPERS
v3: Perla la Loca

All three of these library editions are collected in the big Locas hardcover.

Then from there, you have

v4: Penny Century
v5: Esperanza

Which collects everything of Jaime's from the period between the first and second run of L&R (Penny Century, the Maggie & Hopey Color Fun Special, some oter loose stuff) plus everything from the second run of L&R. That's the same stuff that's in the Locas II hardcover.

From there they started doing the annual New Stories volumes, of which there are eight.

They've started collecting the New Stories stuff into Library editions:

v6: Angels & Magpies (collects New Stories 1-4, aka Return of the Ti-Girls and The Love Bunglers)

This is where it starts to get a little confusing, I believe the rest of Jaime's "New Stories" stories are collected into two hardcovers (Tonta and Is This How You See Me?) but not into Library editions as of yet.

Is This How You See Me? carries over from New Stories into the first few issues of Love & Rockets Volume IV, which is the currently running book. However, that's 1600+ pages/thirty years into Jaime's output, so I don't know if that's something for anyone to worry about too much for the Book Club.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I can work something up for the thread, but if we're doing a Jaime/Hoppers book club:

Jaime's stories from the original L&R run from the 1980s-1990s are collected in
v1: Maggie the Mechanic
v2: The Girl from HOPPERS
v3: Perla la Loca

All three of these library editions are collected in the big Locas hardcover.

Then from there, you have

v4: Penny Century
v5: Esperanza

Which collects everything of Jaime's from the period between the first and second run of L&R (Penny Century, the Maggie & Hopey Color Fun Special, some oter loose stuff) plus everything from the second run of L&R. That's the same stuff that's in the Locas II hardcover.

From there they started doing the annual New Stories volumes, of which there are eight.

They've started collecting the New Stories stuff into Library editions:

v6: Angels & Magpies (collects New Stories 1-4, aka Return of the Ti-Girls and The Love Bunglers)

This is where it starts to get a little confusing, I believe the rest of Jaime's "New Stories" stories are collected into two hardcovers (Tonta and Is This How You See Me?) but not into Library editions as of yet.

Is This How You See Me? carries over from New Stories into the first few issues of Love & Rockets Volume IV, which is the currently running book. However, that's 1600+ pages/thirty years into Jaime's output, so I don't know if that's something for anyone to worry about too much for the Book Club.

Spot-on. I got the reading order from this page, which let me know which were the Jaime volumes, and which order to check them out from Hoopla:
https://www.fantagraphics.com/howtoreadloveandrockets/?sef_rewrite=1

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Spot-on. I got the reading order from this page, which let me know which were the Jaime volumes, and which order to check them out from Hoopla:

Thank you for reminding me to check Hoopla first!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Comixology Unlimited has volumes 1-12. I think they have a 60 day trial.

(I've turned into the world biggest Comixology Unlimited shill. It's $6/month and I get more use out of it than any of my video streaming services.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When comics were actually coming out, the Comixology Unlimited discount paid for itself, but the free stuff to read is working out.

Anyway, sure, let's read some L&R and talk about it. (I will be extremely out of me depth here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Martin Pasko has passed away.

:(