Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

taqueso posted:

Is there a half-height pcie card that holds 4 m2 SSDs, 2 on each side?

Gigabyte CMT4034

https://www.gigabyte.com/Accessory/CMT4034-rev-10/sp#sp

Probably not spec compliant on the B side height!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Nice. Being out of spec had me worried no one would make one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

taqueso posted:

Nice. Being out of spec had me worried no one would make one.

Keep in mind that only works with motherboards / chipsets that support pcie bifrucation.

There's also this thing but the price is "if you have to ask..."

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks for the warning, I'll have to investigate bifurcation. Might need UEFI modules or some crap

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Hey what's a latest gen NVMe SSD at 1-2TB that's not necessarily the fastest but will do a great job for my media pc and won't crap itself?
(I LIKE MY MP3s TO LOAD UP SUPER FAST)

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm also looking at grabbing a new drive and I was wondering about an NVMe M2 drive. I'm currently running everything off a Samsung QVO 860 drive and I only recently heard that the QVO line can have performance issues driving it down to normal HDD level. I could get a another SATA SSD but well, I had issues with my drive rack in my case and I'm not sure where it is exactly. I do have a nice M2 slot open on my motherboard though.

I was looking at the Crucial P1 drives. Probably the 500 GB one since I can get it for $116 AUD and the other brands seem more expensive for an equivalent size. Anything wrong with them or are they still good?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mysticblade posted:

I'm also looking at grabbing a new drive and I was wondering about an NVMe M2 drive. I'm currently running everything off a Samsung QVO 860 drive and I only recently heard that the QVO line can have performance issues driving it down to normal HDD level. I could get a another SATA SSD but well, I had issues with my drive rack in my case and I'm not sure where it is exactly. I do have a nice M2 slot open on my motherboard though.

I was looking at the Crucial P1 drives. Probably the 500 GB one since I can get it for $116 AUD and the other brands seem more expensive for an equivalent size. Anything wrong with them or are they still good?

Crucial P1 is also a QLC drive.

However, QLC isn't totally random about when it drops performance. As long as it has SLC cache space they stay SSD fast. The way that it runs out of SLC cache is during sustained large writes -- if you copy a 100GB file to your drive it'll slow way down at some point, and be kinda poky for a while as it digests all that data and moves it into QLC space. For most of us a 100GB write isn't an everyday thing.

However, SLC cache shrinks as the drive fills up. When the drive gets close to full you may have problems more often. So if you try to keep it under ~75% total space used you'll have better performance using it as a main system drive.

But if you want to get a new NVMe drive, and keep the QVO as a secondary / games drive (for which they're fine, their performance problems are all from writes), good choices are:
WD SN750, HP EX920 / EX950, Adata XPG SX8200
All these are roughly the same performance, all are TLC and have dram, choose whatever's cheapest or in stock.

Kane posted:

Hey what's a latest gen NVMe SSD at 1-2TB that's not necessarily the fastest but will do a great job for my media pc and won't crap itself?
(I LIKE MY MP3s TO LOAD UP SUPER FAST)

This, however, is perfectly suited for a Crucial P1 or Intel 660p. (As would be a normal sata drive.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you worried it's too slow or something?

Someone who's good at ssds pleas help me.
my disk is dying.

This is the same Chinese SSD from the previous post, due to work stuff I didn't have time to get the new one yet. I'm really shocked it still boots and works more or less fine, posting from it now.

Klyith posted:

Are the mediocre $/GB prices for Transcend stuff on amazon too off-putting? $50 for a 256gb isn't ideal, but at least Transcend is a reliable if very unexciting brand.
I got that Transend and managed to clone everything over yesterday (and today it failed to boot from the old one lol). Feels nice, man...

And that's using half of the drive. Not mega fast compared to high-end NVMe stuff but the important part is that the machine is now snappy again because it doesn't choke on any writes (and it boots)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just had a 850 evo poo poo the bed. I was able to grab the data off of it, just once. Very sad.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
God dammit I low balled an ebay recycler for a lot of 8x 850 Evo 250Gs at $25 a pop(!) and he agreed and sent me an offer on it at 3am local time. I woke up a 6 and someone bought them already. FFS.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Is there a current list of drives that happen to be DRAM-LESS?

Also, do dram-less drives tend to have TLC/QLC on the chips, wasn't certain if it makes a difference or not.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Oh man I was just on a DB of that info yesterday. I'm seeing if I can find it in history

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

taqueso posted:

Oh man I was just on a DB of that info yesterday. I'm seeing if I can find it in history

Thank you!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1B27_j9NDPU3cNlj2HKcrfpJKHkOf-Oi1DbuuQva2gT4/htmlview#gid=0

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 2, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, that’s a useful spreadsheet!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NewMaxx/

Their subreddit too

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shaocaholica posted:

I just want everything to be toolless cartridges. EVERYTHING.

Welcome to the present.

last time I needed a screwdriver to service something inside of a server, I think I was replacing the main board.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Potato Salad posted:

Welcome to the present.

last time I needed a screwdriver to service something inside of a server, I think I was replacing the main board.

'Server'. Consumer junk is still sloppy tolerance and philips heads all the way down.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If I buy a Gen 4 PCIe NVMe drive is it sure to max out the Gen 3 bus and leave some performance on the table, and would that likely be faster than getting a good Gen 3 drive?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cavauro posted:

If I buy a Gen 4 PCIe NVMe drive is it sure to max out the Gen 3 bus and leave some performance on the table, and would that likely be faster than getting a good Gen 3 drive?

I'd say no, because you're rarely going to be maxing the PCIe bus out.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
If I'm replacing a failing SSD in an old Sandy Bridge Thinkpad, is there any reason to spend $89 on a Samsung 860 vs $54 on an Inland Pro 2.5" SSD? The current drive is only 240GB, so I'm replacing with a 480GB/500GB. It's barely half full as is, so I don't see any reason to go larger.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PitViper posted:

If I'm replacing a failing SSD in an old Sandy Bridge Thinkpad, is there any reason to spend $89 on a Samsung 860 vs $54 on an Inland Pro 2.5" SSD? The current drive is only 240GB, so I'm replacing with a 480GB/500GB. It's barely half full as is, so I don't see any reason to go larger.

No

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, my 1tb poo poo the bed (or will shortly) and I need to replace it. Thinking of a 500gb ssd. Anyone have any good/cheap recommendation? The old one is a regular drive, and I'm mainly gonna be storing my ebooks on the new one. Calibre has been rebuilding my library for a few days now so I'm assuming the bottleneck is the old drive, so I'd like to replace it kinda quick.

Don't have a particular budget but I'd like to stay around 40-50 if possible.

I have no idea of these are ok to buy second hand, but if they are, let me know and I'll start cruising ebay.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Check these bad boys out.

msata for scale

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wow, I've got an mSATA in my old T420, but you win for fattest SSD PCB1.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Welp, my 1tb poo poo the bed (or will shortly) and I need to replace it. Thinking of a 500gb ssd. Anyone have any good/cheap recommendation? The old one is a regular drive, and I'm mainly gonna be storing my ebooks on the new one. Calibre has been rebuilding my library for a few days now so I'm assuming the bottleneck is the old drive, so I'd like to replace it kinda quick.

Don't have a particular budget but I'd like to stay around 40-50 if possible.

I have no idea of these are ok to buy second hand, but if they are, let me know and I'll start cruising ebay.
Which kind of drive, SATA or NVME?

You generally do not want second hand SSDs. SSDs are no longer expensive enough to warrant any real savings over new drives and you don't know what the controllers have been put through.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

Check these bad boys out.

msata for scale

Lol these SSDs suck balls. But they are the only ones that fit and I can’t find any mSATA adapters with the right mounting holes. I guess I could do it all floppy but I already have these that fit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Which kind of drive, SATA or NVME?

You generally do not want second hand SSDs. SSDs are no longer expensive enough to warrant any real savings over new drives and you don't know what the controllers have been put through.

Oh, poo poo, yea that info would have helped. SATA is what I'm looking for. Don't have an NVME port.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 10, 2020

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, poo poo, yea that info would have helped. SATA is what I'm looking for. Don't have an NVME port.
Basically any drive with a DRAM cache these days, like the years-long shortlist of WD Blue 3D, Crucial MX500, or the ADATA SU800. The SU800 is the cheapest of the bunch for 500gb right now. They are also available in SATA M.2 if you need that form factor, though.

https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-SU800-512GB-3D-NAND-ASU800SS-512GT-C/dp/B01K8A29CS/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3Z3UC2/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool. Snagged a WD Blue 3d off Best Buy for 64.99 and got same day delivery since I really don't want to drive all the way out there.

Hopefully by tonight, I'll have all this poo poo settled and be able to get back to reading.

Thanks for the help!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
My gaming PC has an X570 motherboard and I was thinking of getting an NVMe drive to replace my SATA SSD. Is there anything out there now that will keep parity with what the PS5 and Xbox Series X will offer when they release, or is it better holding off for now? There's a 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 that supposedly boasts 5000 MB/s reads, but I'm not really familiar with that brand or how reliable they are.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Almost Smart posted:

My gaming PC has an X570 motherboard and I was thinking of getting an NVMe drive to replace my SATA SSD. Is there anything out there now that will keep parity with what the PS5 and Xbox Series X will offer when they release, or is it better holding off for now? There's a 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 that supposedly boasts 5000 MB/s reads, but I'm not really familiar with that brand or how reliable they are.

Nobody knows what the new consoles are cooking up or what impact it will have on PCs, besides pre-release marketing, which is always best taken with a handful of salt. Mise hold off for now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Some Goon posted:

Nobody knows what the new consoles are cooking up or what impact it will have on PCs, besides pre-release marketing, which is always best taken with a handful of salt. Mise hold off for now.
This but I really can't imagine PC versions of the game relying on the SSD equally, because that would mean targeting an absolutely minimal install base on PC (Intel platforms won't even have PCIe 4.0 for another year or so) and the hardware support the PS5 (at least) is using for on-the-fly compression doesn't even exist in current PC hardware.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

The current pcie 4.0 consumer drives (sabrent, adata, corsair) pretty much all use the same Phison controller and it is fine, basically their last gen controller with the addition of gen4. They will be putting out a new one shortly (or have) that will come closer to gen4 line rate speeds (so over 7GB/s reads) as it has been designed with the faster interface in mind. Ditto the upcoming samsung one.

As far as reliability goes I’m sure they’re fine. Not a lot that can happen with no moving parts as long as it isn’t DOA!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So how many nand dies do you need to saturate pcie4? What’s the minimum capacity with current production then?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

So how many nand dies do you need to saturate pcie4? What’s the minimum capacity with current production then?

The previous phison controller supported 800MT/s standard (onfi 4 I think) from NAND and the next ones will do 1200MT/s (onfi 4.1) so +50% with the same number of flash chips.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait are current gen nvme controllers not fully tapping the nand or are you saying next gen nand will also be +50% more bandwidth?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait are current gen nvme controllers not fully tapping the nand or are you saying next gen nand will also be +50% more bandwidth?

No, Phison stuff isn't fully tapping the theoretical max of the NAND interface as 8 channels at 800MT/s (8 bit) should be 6400MB/s but the PCIe interface maxes out at 5000MB/s. However the 6400MB/s flash interface wouldn't max out the PCIe interface of Gen4x4 either. With the newer E18 the transfer rate to the NAND goes up to 1200MB/s per channel which should saturate the PCIe link but it tops out at 7000MB/s which is close but not saturating it either (probably would want to see more in the range of 7.7GB/s with the various PCIe/NVMe overhead). I would guess they have limitations in their onboard CPU in a price/performance tradeoff.

This isn't a huge deal for Phison because it's still way faster than any other current consumer drive being the only one right now and even the 980Pro is claiming read speeds less than 7GB/s (6.5).

Enterprise drives will get way closer to max PCIe speeds though due to a combination of more NAND controller channels (upwards of 32) and plentiful RAM caching. There is a reason why enterprise NVMe drives are $texas!

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
If money isn't an issue, is it a good idea to get an Optane 0.5-1tb drive for Windows/general purpose computing/gaming or is it overkill? Will the difference be felt? (I despise all computer lags in every part of the process)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kane posted:

If money isn't an issue, is it a good idea to get an Optane 0.5-1tb drive for Windows/general purpose computing/gaming or is it overkill? Will the difference be felt? (I despise all computer lags in every part of the process)

No