Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wizard Styles posted:

In Silverstep? That quest definitely was memorable.
There aren't a lot of those side areas with real quests attached in Kingmaker but Silverstep and the Swamp Witch's Hut are both really cool.

Yep that’s the one. drat good feels. Also, finally got to see Nok-Nok in action. He’s a loving beast!

I’m at 50 hours and just finished the bloom chapter. About how far into the game I?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Something of an observation as I'm starting to play around with Arcanist, but right now I basically see zero reason not to just give up 1-2 caster levels to go up Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight, because the available Exploits (including all the Greater ones) are mostly junk. Of the greater ones, you've only got the elemental upgrades (+two similar) - which are not good - and Greater Spell Resistance, which is just plain bad. Even among the normal exploits there's really only Dimensional Slide that I'd consider a must pick. And given 3/4 of the archetypes gain all their unique features by 9th (aside from capstones), there's really nothing holding you to staying in the class. Like yes, sure, BFT's capstone is decent, but I'd rather take EK's full BAB plus better HD and saves, along with bonus feats, thanks - particularly if I'm going the self-buffing route.

I'll stress that this is just my observation for the alpha, and it's very possible Owlcat's planning to add more exploits that just haven't been implemented yet, but it's something to keep in mind moving forwards (and something for those with beta access, or a later alpha build, to check out in a few months). The selection of decent Greater Exploits has always been somewhat slim, but there are still plenty of good normal Exploits missing they could add.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

chaosapiant posted:

I’m at 50 hours and just finished the bloom chapter. About how far into the game I?
You've seen maybe a third.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

chaosapiant posted:

Going purely by story completion, probably a third of the way. The events will now more or less repeat themselves by chapter - a big crisis plus another quick fight at the hill - along with kingdom-destroying events for each. Depending on your exploration so far there's probably way more to do on the world map, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wizard Styles posted:

You've seen maybe a third.

Jesus this game is huge. But it's definitely got its hooks in me.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Dinosaurs officially in for Wrath, along with hunters.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2831570

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For those with free time, a Q&A on Twitch just started.

https://www.twitch.tv/owlcatgames

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The fake stag lord is the best fight in the game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

For those with free time, a Q&A on Twitch just started.

https://www.twitch.tv/owlcatgames

Is there anywhere with a summary of this?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just did the part of Amiri’s quest where she visits her old buds, and goddamn she’s awesome! She’s such a vicious woman who I think is completely justified (so far) in her behavior.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I didn't get two of them, and don't have the Kineticist DLC, but of the baseline companions none were bad. Val and Tristian were kind of one-note characters but overall I was way more interested in the sidekick stories than I was in the vague overall plot. Nok Nok is obviously the best.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vargs posted:

Is there anywhere with a summary of this?

Not that I've seen, though admittedly I haven't really looked. Nothing on the stream really caught my attention as new and interesting though. It was mostly information we already know, and people are still asking about for whatever reason, and a bunch questions that got "we can't really talk about that" (many of which have, again, been asked before and gotten the same answer).

Also the normal idiots asking if they can play a good lich and similar. One terrible question I saw was a request for the Archmage prestige class - so they clearly know the system involved, since they're aware of prestige classes and the like, but somehow aren't aware that the Archmage prestige class DOESN'T EXIST IN PATHFINDER.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Should I be having to roll for concealment to hit primal enemies covered in glitterdust?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

sassassin posted:

Should I be having to roll for concealment to hit primal enemies covered in glitterdust?

Glitterdust cancels out invisibility, but not other miss chance effects like blur.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Roadie posted:

Glitterdust cancels out invisibility, but not other miss chance effects like blur.

Dumb.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Imagine a big blurry image. Now imagine it's sparkling. It's not actually easier to see. In fact it should be harder to visualize. :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kalas posted:

Imagine a big blurry image. Now imagine it's sparkling. It's not actually easier to see. In fact it should be harder to visualize. :)

Nah.

If the enemy can blur my glitter then an invisible one would be able to make it invisible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sassassin posted:

Only things that work are echolocation and blindfighting feat j believe.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Only things that work are echolocation and blindfighting feat j believe.

Faerie fire should also work by the tabletop rules (it lists blur as one of the things it explicitly works on) but it doesn't in Kingmaker.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

sassassin posted:

Nah.

If the enemy can blur my glitter then an invisible one would be able to make it invisible.

Glitterdust is a Conjuration spell, so it's literally creating magical dust that sticks to everything exposed to it - in this context the dust is designed so it can't be made invisible at all, but just because it can't be made invisible doesn't mean that your reflected image (or the blur of it) doesn't reflect the very shiny dust now stuck to you as well.

Compare this to Faerie Fire, which is an Evocation (light) effect. In this case it's not actually a tangible object sticking to the person, so the copy or blur of them doesn't reflect the change. In terms of fluff, this is similar with casting a spell, where all your images would appear to be casting but they all don't release imaginary fireballs or whatever when completed - it's just that the images are constantly shifting around so figuring out which image the spell came from is incredibly hard.

edit:

Prism posted:

Faerie fire should also work by the tabletop rules (it lists blur as one of the things it explicitly works on) but it doesn't in Kingmaker.

If Faerie Fire isn't working, that's an issue, but probably related to how the whole thing is programmed. The interaction of Glitterdust with Mirror Image or Blurring effects has always been unclear though, and there was never a FAQ about it - thus it comes down to individual DM, but the general consensus is basically the above.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 10, 2020

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lord Koth posted:

Glitterdust is a Conjuration spell, so it's literally creating magical dust that sticks to everything exposed to it - in this context the dust is designed so it can't be made invisible at all, but just because it can't be made invisible doesn't mean that your reflected image (or the blur of it) doesn't reflect the very shiny dust now stuck to you as well.

Compare this to Faerie Fire, which is an Evocation (light) effect. In this case it's not actually a tangible object sticking to the person, so the copy or blur of them doesn't reflect the change. In terms of fluff, this is similar with casting a spell, where all your images would appear to be casting but they all don't release imaginary fireballs or whatever when completed - it's just that the images are constantly shifting around so figuring out which image the spell came from is incredibly hard.

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this explanation about casting a spell but I am pretty sure it's wrong. (And copies do reflect the change; faerie fire can let you bypass blur, invisibility, or displacement, but not mirror image.)

Lord Koth posted:

edit:

If Faerie Fire isn't working, that's an issue, but probably related to how the whole thing is programmed. The interaction of Glitterdust with Mirror Image or Blurring effects has always been unclear though, and there was never a FAQ about it - thus it comes down to individual DM, but the general consensus is basically the above.

It's not unclear at all. Glitterdust visibly outlines invisible creatures. That's a direct quote from the rules. Mirror image and blur do not make a creature invisible, so it does not help. (Though it still might blind them if they fail a saving throw, and it makes it effectively impossible to hide since they still take the -40 to Stealth checks.)

Faerie fire not working on blur-type effects is definitely a bug of some sort though.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 10, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the best way to look at Glitterdust is that while it makes invisible enemies visible, it also attaches/highlights the part of features that are blurred. In other words, the image is still blurry and shifting, but it’s lit up with GD.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prism posted:

Yeah, this spe ific set of non-interactions is what made me decide I wasn't a fan of the pathfinder system, at least as implemented here. See, true seeing doesn't help because it specifies *invisibility*

I mean the game is . . . fine . . .just hypertechnical.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Yeah, this spe ific set of non-interactions is what made me decide I wasn't a fan of the pathfinder system, at least as implemented here. See, true seeing doesn't help because it specifies *invisibility*

By tabletop rules true seeing also lets you ignore blur, so I guess they've just decided blur isn't affected by most of the things that it should be.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Started a non-story Tenebrous Depths solo. Last night I was getting 6x the xp for doing stuff that I am now, as if the game doesn't realise I don't have a full party. Did go up top to rest and sell junk in between, maybe I'm being penalised?

edit: The option got changed in the difficulty settings. Weird bug.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 10, 2020

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Yeah as was pointed out True Seeing is kind of the be all end all for any lower level spells and should absolutely defeat Blur, Displacement, Invisibility, Greater Invisibility, and pretty much any sub-6th level spell like this. I don't know why they put True Seeing in this game and then didn't let it defeat the spells it is several levels higher than--it is a very strong spell in tabletop with almost no role in this crpg.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tenebrous Depths is way more relaxing than the main campaign. Had no idea you got boons based on how far your previous idiot got.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s the gooncensus on Harrim vs Tristian? I’d been using Harrim forever because he’s an awesome buffer/debilitator/tank/healer, but Tristian is in my party now, we’re all around level 11, and he’s got a poo poo load of awesome spells that seems to keep him pretty drat useful. Is it worth it to get an armor skill on him or what?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
nm

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

I think the best way to look at Glitterdust is that while it makes invisible enemies visible, it also attaches/highlights the part of features that are blurred. In other words, the image is still blurry and shifting, but it’s lit up with GD.

Yeah, that.
It's like those tiktok videos : when they're dancing in pitch darkness with neons glued to their clothes, you can see the neons just fine.
But when you're drunk even the neons are blurry.

RP.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Prism posted:

By tabletop rules true seeing also lets you ignore blur, so I guess they've just decided blur isn't affected by most of the things that it should be.

The oddity isn't that true seeing counters blur (that's as should be - you've cast a spell that a) costs money and b) says "gently caress illusions for good. Imma see what is *there*, period). Faerie fire specifically countering blur & displacement is the odd one out - it shouldn't (or rather there's no rational reason it would if glitterdust doesn't)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

grah posted:

I don't know why they put True Seeing in this game and then didn't let it defeat the spells it is several levels higher than--it is a very strong spell in tabletop with almost no role in this crpg.

The explanation I generally see is "True Seeing says it counters invisibility, not concealment, and Blur grants concealment" but that's a myopically literalist reading of the spell text.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kobal2 posted:

The oddity isn't that true seeing counters blur (that's as should be - you've cast a spell that a) costs money and b) says "gently caress illusions for good. Imma see what is *there*, period). Faerie fire specifically countering blur & displacement is the odd one out - it shouldn't (or rather there's no rational reason it would if glitterdust doesn't)

Faerie fire is really good at what it does, yeah. Possibly too good, but there's not a lot of really good druid spells they don't share with someone else, anyway.

That said, there are a couple ways it's worse: faerie fire is a small area of effect - just one 5' square - so if you're trying to catch an invisible creature that you can't see it's harder than glitterdust, but that doesn't matter for blur/displacement. Also unlike glitterdust, spell resistance applies.

Edit:

The explanation I generally see is "True Seeing says it counters invisibility, not concealment, and Blur grants concealment" but that's a myopically literalist reading of the spell text.

Blur, the spell, specifically says true seeing works to let you see through it (in tabletop rules, I didn't load Kingmaker to check if they deleted that line).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Where are you seeing this explanation? Because the spell description for True Seeing mentions both blur and displacement effects too, as well as illusions in general. Unless the spell description in-game is shortened, which is a ridiculous thing to try and argue from, you flat out can't apply some literalist argument or rules lawyering to True Seeing not working on those.

It's an incredibly explicit spell in what it negates, with the only true point of contention involving it generally revolving around whether Mind Blank blocks it.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

What’s the gooncensus on Harrim vs Tristian? I’d been using Harrim forever because he’s an awesome buffer/debilitator/tank/healer, but Tristian is in my party now, we’re all around level 11, and he’s got a poo poo load of awesome spells that seems to keep him pretty drat useful. Is it worth it to get an armor skill on him or what?

Tristian works best if you slap him in the middle of your formation where nothing will touch him, turn off his AI, and just use him as a manual magic turret. He actually works really well as a Mystic Theurge if you dump 4 levels into Empyreal Sorcerer and add him to your party around lv 10-11, though you'll still need at least one other Arcane or Divine caster to carry the workload. Harrim's good as a full divine caster, either Cleric or a 19 Druid for a cheeky early animal companion, but probably benefits from getting a melee weapon with reach since he's pretty garbage at tanking attacks. Cleric's kind of hard to screw up as long as you have Wisdom to spare so either works for pretty much any team comp

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

chaosapiant posted:

Tristian is the superior healer/spell caster and that's usually what people are looking for in a cleric.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Hypocrisy posted:

Tristian is the superior healer/spell caster and that's usually what people are looking for in a cleric.

This. His positive channel can cover most of the healing duties and then you can use every other spell for buffs, debuffs or some kind of utility. Then you never have to worry about poison (Delay Poison), elemental (Resist/Protection from Elements), negative / death spells (Death Ward), or whatever Freedom protects you from.

The lack of positive channel for Harrim, because of his poo poo charisma, means that you're sacrificing some of that utility for the tank/melee damage, and there's no shortage of decent melee characters or OP damage characters.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

chaosapiant posted:

Tristian is good but do not put armor proficiency on him. Wearing armor messes up his spellcasting. Just let him cast Magic Vestment and put Bracers of Armor on him if you're worried about his AC. He shouldn't be in harm's way most of the time anyway, make sure to put a crossbow in his hands so he doesn't charge in with his scimitar like an idiot if you forget to micro him for a round.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

grah posted:

Tristian is good but do not put armor proficiency on him. Wearing armor messes up his spellcasting. Just let him cast Magic Vestment and put Bracers of Armor on him if you're worried about his AC. He shouldn't be in harm's way most of the time anyway, make sure to put a crossbow in his hands so he doesn't charge in with his scimitar like an idiot if you forget to micro him for a round.

Yep, that’s been mostly my game plan so far. He’s got Bracers +5, some rings and an amulet, and I usually throw a Barkskin on him as well. I do need to get him a crossbow though. I’ve got him a decent scimitar but no ranged weapon yet. But yea, dude just has tons and tons of spells, and I’m still experimenting with poo poo during fights to see what’s best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, that.
It's like those tiktok videos : when they're dancing in pitch darkness with neons glued to their clothes, you can see the neons just fine.
But when you're drunk even the neons are blurry.

RP.

If blur were a spell cast on someone to reduce their perceptiveness you might have a point here.