Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

Ahsoka and Rex have never been in live-action. Plenty of people don't watch the animated shows either. Both of them will essentially be new characters to a whole bunch of people. I don't care much about Boba Fett returning. The show's called The Mandalorian, of course Boba Fett would probably show up at one point.

:actually: Boba Fett isn't a mandalorian. Furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Fett would be dumb, Rex would be cool. :colbert:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm excited what they could do with that. Boba showing and clashing with Mando over The Way, Rex showing up with Ahsoka. Rex disgusting himself as Boba for some reason, all good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Remember these guys are good writers for a well-received show. This always happens with goons, where they personally can’t conceive of a good way for things to go so clearly the show is making a mistake.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:actually: Boba Fett isn't a mandalorian. Furthermore

Precisely. Mando calling Boba Fett a fraud would own.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Well it's canon that Darth Maul survived and Boba Fett is a lot more believable since the sarlaac was supposed to devour slowly over thousands of years.

Fett happens to have a lot of guns and explosives.

Maul got chopped in half, a generally lethal event, and fell down a hole of excessive depth. Somehow this was not a thing that kills you and people are fine with that.

Boba Fett soft lands in an upside down octopus or something, while armored up and physically intact. Surviving this is deemed improbable.

?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

Precisely. Mando calling Boba Fett a fraud would own.

Mando steals all his armor and leaves him tied up. Or throws him back into the sarlacc pit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is canon btw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What’s the backstory on the dude to the left?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Emperor got thrown down a shaft and supposedly killed. Him showing back up later doesn’t mean it’s a great narrative thing to do.

I just hoped that this show would have the gumption to stray from known characters and build a world inside star wars without leaning on roads tread before. It’s not unreasonable and I trust that they’ll do it well. It’s just I wish they wouldn’t is all.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the backstory on the dude to the left?

He has an entire EU book series, a comic book, graphic novels, manga translation, and has a toy line from Todd McFarlane and Funko Pop.

Edit - and a Lego animated series.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
That cute redhead needs to trim her toenails, but I'd be down to help

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
stupid joke but i had to get it out of my head

"...and so he said no disintegrations, but whats interesting about that is I don't even carry a disintegrating blaster, its technically an atomizer, which as you probably know..."

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Filoni breaking down the Duel of the Fates and connecting it to the saga at large in the BTS show today was some legit impressive stuff

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If it's just a short scene he could be playing Jango in a flashback.

Edit: missed the bit where it said he was definitely Boba.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Cross-Section posted:

Filoni breaking down the Duel of the Fates and connecting it to the saga at large in the BTS show today was some legit impressive stuff

Which video is this?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerkface posted:

Which video is this?

Disney Gallery (or whatever it's called) on D+.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

He just flat-out commanded that table out from under Favreau. Everybody sat there open-mouthed wondering who'd put a quarter in Dave.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Madurai posted:

He just flat-out commanded that table out from under Favreau. Everybody sat there open-mouthed wondering who'd put a quarter in Dave.
lmao the look on BDH when the camera cuts back to her eventually

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here's the full clip of that discussion for future reference.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Where is this

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

Where is this

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wife and I watched S1E8 again, just because that opening scene with the bike troopers is still the greatest thing ever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll probably rewatch S1 over the summer and then get a giant Mandalorian back piece because goddam I love this show.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Madurai posted:

Wife and I watched S1E8 again, just because that opening scene with the bike troopers is still the greatest thing ever.

Have you ever watched Red vs Blue?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Have you ever watched Red vs Blue?

Bits of it. It never really hit for me the same way.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll probably rewatch S1 over the summer and then get a giant Mandalorian back piece because goddam I love this show.

COVID has something to say about that.

:( I miss tattooing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah, that's the real structure behind the saga that gives it its enduring strength. Ignoring that is why the sequels failed. They didn't leave room for hope. Except of course for the kid with the broom in TLJ.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that's the real structure behind the saga that gives it its enduring strength. Ignoring that is why the sequels failed. They didn't leave room for hope. Except of course for the kid with the broom in TLJ.

TRoS went so far as to just hammer home "Nothing will ever change or get better. Everything in infinitely cyclical. Palpatine will come back, the Second Order will rise, someone will have to sacrifice themselves to buy another 30 years of peace"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

jivjov posted:

TRoS went so far as to just hammer home "Nothing will ever change or get better. Everything in infinitely cyclical. Palpatine will come back, the Second Order will rise, someone will have to sacrifice themselves to buy another 30 years of peace"

Yeah but this is entirely a Lucas thing. His latest re-definition of what “balance of the force” means is basically there are equally light and dark forces in the galaxy and every so often one will start to power up and then we get these eternally cyclical conflicts as they try to balance back out (“the darkness rises and the light to meet it”).

This obviously contradicts what he’s said before and makes Anakin significantly less important but apparently nerds think Lucas is god now so whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got the same look as everyone else on that panel, but not because I'm at a loss for words at such wondrous insight, but because that's the look I get when I zone out while my friends go off in an in depth tangent on something I don't really out much thought into. Like, sure okay Qui-Gon is the father figure. I kinda knew that when I watched the film this isn't exactly a groundbreaking insight Dave is providing.

I like when Mando goes all slasher villain on the prison barge and closes two sets of doors on Clancy Brown and still somehow doesn't kill him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 12, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've got the same look as everyone else on that panel, but not because I'm at a loss for words at such wondrous insight, but because that's the look I get when I zone out while my friends go off in an in depth tangent on something I don't really out much thought into. Like, sure okay Qui-Gon is the father figure. I kinda knew that when I watched the film this isn't exactly a groundbreaking insight Dave is providing.

I like when Mando goes all slasher villain on the prison barge and closes two sets of doors on Clancy Brown and still somehow doesn't kill him.

I feel like you don't actually like the Wars in the Stars very much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mulva posted:

I feel like you don't actually like the Wars in the Stars very much.

Legacy of the Force kinda broke my passion for Star Wars. I like what I like but there's a lot of conditionals in there now. And Im a cynic for Disney because I have a hard time viewing anything they do without assuming their intentions. I don't trust a lot of their behind the scenes footage because they love to play up the idea that everyone is part of a big happy family when that is pretty much never the case for any film or tv production. So I don't see much appeal in the panel discussion if the deep insight is stuff I learned in a second year literary crit class.

I still like The Mandalorian a lot, prequels are still the epitome of decent ideas executed poorly and no amount of Dave Filoni talking about the finer points is going to make up for sloppy filmmaking by Lucas. Filoni is a mostly good showrunner but I don't see him as God's gift to save Star Wars.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The thing about Lucas is that he's amazing at coming up with concepts and broad strokes. The original film was heavily refined, but it came from a long time of tinkering with his original concept with friends (and family, in the case of Marcia Lucas in the editing). A lot of the aesthetics, concepts, and the very broad plot of the prequel trilogy are actually really great in the bare sense. The problem is that he's not a good writer or director, so giving him ultimate control of something is a terrible mistake. Especially when his ego is now driven by his sudden fame and wealth.

So I think when it comes to EU stuff, it depends heavily on not only the writer's quality, but how close they try to hew to Lucas's vision. As we've seen with The Mandalorian, you can have an absolutely amazing show by just using the setting and throwing out most of Lucas's directorial and writing style. The worst authors try to stick close to how the original scripts sound, which makes them insipid.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Marcia Lucas is the reason anyone on Earth cares about Star Wars and I really hope she’s like disgustingly rich these days.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I don't see much appeal in the panel discussion if the deep insight is stuff I learned in a second year literary crit class.

I still like The Mandalorian a lot, prequels are still the epitome of decent ideas executed poorly and no amount of Dave Filoni talking about the finer points is going to make up for sloppy filmmaking by Lucas. Filoni is a mostly good showrunner but I don't see him as God's gift to save Star Wars.

While Filoni's whole speech was cute and earnest, it still boils down to him making Lucas's poor directing and writing more profound than Lucas intended.

I honestly want to know if he's genuinely enthralled with Lucas or if he just knows he has a really sweet gig right now and will continue singing his praises and the nerddom's heir apparent.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Even with the success of Mandalorian I don't think Filoni is widely known. Like if you announce Filoni is doing something it won't get 1/10th the heat of saying "Taika Waititi"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Not among the general public. But if you hate yourself enough to read social media comments on Star Wars posts you'll see that within the current crop of nerds (especially, unfortunately, the loud and vocal toxic ones) he's considered the second coming of Jesus. Unlike, you know, that horrible bitch Kathleen Kennedy who personally writes, edits, and directs every movie to shove Disney's gay Jewish liberal SJW female agenda down our throats.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

A lot of the aesthetics, concepts, and the very broad plot of the prequel trilogy are actually really great in the bare sense.

It really is amazing how very specific tweaks would have changed everything with those movies.

Make Anakin like 20 instead of 10? Open up this huge avenue to draw Luke parallels with.

Flip it so you get a decade between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith? The galaxy just doesn't care that the Empire rose, at least the war ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hazo posted:

Not among the general public. But if you hate yourself enough to read social media comments on Star Wars posts you'll see that within the current crop of nerds (especially, unfortunately, the loud and vocal toxic ones) he's considered the second coming of Jesus. Unlike, you know, that horrible bitch Kathleen Kennedy who personally writes, edits, and directs every movie to shove Disney's gay Jewish liberal SJW female agenda down our throats.

Eh, Filoni stopped being the new god when he dared to put women of color into clone wars