Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sopranos is still the best show ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

There's almost no ambiguity at all to whether Tony gets merked at the end(of course he does) but people really want to believe he survives for some reason

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

There's almost no ambiguity at all to whether Tony gets merked at the end(of course he does) but people really want to believe he survives for some reason

And to those people I say: don’t stop believing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tony either got shot or went to jail. The ending left it in such a way that you could fill in the blank with whichever one you wanted. He'd been saying there's only two ends to a guy like him for the entire run of the show.

He also says you never hear the shot that kills you. And the final scene cuts from Tony's face to black and silence. Tony Soprano got to see his daughter's face one final time, but he didn't hear the shot that killed him.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
One very common thing about 'fictional worlds' and the attachment that people develop to them is that it even 'regular rear end adults' gets swept in by these irrational thoughts about world persisting outside of the 'authorial creation', it's easy to understand why this is becoming more and more prevalent with the media working diligently to convince us that 'cinematic universes' are a thing and that fictional canon is anything other than some guy going 'this is what matters because of rules i just made up in mind', it's basically a child playing pretend but at a grander scale, this plays out in many ways in modern culture, but part of this phenomena is manifested in the way people react so strongly to 'endings' and worst yet to ambivalent endings, the author going 'ok, I'm done' is just not enough, to the people his made up world still exists, they 'know' that Tony is fictional character but they also have a strong relationship with him and feel that his 'universe' continues existing and so that asking questions like 'gee, I wonder what happened next' even makes any sort of sense.

Stephen King writes in the preface to The Stand re-edit that he's been getting letters asking him 'what fran and stu are up to?' for decades now, like people genuinely want him to tell them 'oh they're just fine, don't worry about it'; it's a very weird investment in fiction that really should be discourages, all of these continous fictional universes and franchises are breaking people's ability to consume fiction without scrambling their brains a little in the process.

Sopranos good, it's over, author ended it at point of ambivalence as a statement, this doesn't detract from the show which is meant to be a character study.

GoT bad, D&D are idiot dummies, this whole phenomena hinged upon recreating martin's "immersive universe" (basically, just a stylistic setting, in the context of the show) and through immersing the audience in this universe feeding them poo poo through a straw as it was delivered by characters with whom the audience bonded through the strength of GRRM's writing, without people being so easily conned by these fictional universes everyone would have checked out past season 5 when the quality dropped.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

He also says you never hear the shot that kills you. And the final scene cuts from Tony's face to black and silence. Tony Soprano got to see his daughter's face one final time, but he didn't hear the shot that killed him.

Oh, I agree. I'm big into the "Tony got killed" camp. But there's people that argue it the other way as well.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh, I agree. I'm big into the "Tony got killed" camp. But there's people that argue it the other way as well.

Syrio Lives!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

emanresu tnuocca posted:

One very common thing about 'fictional worlds' and the attachment that people develop to them is that it even 'regular rear end adults' gets swept in by these irrational thoughts about world persisting outside of the 'authorial creation', it's easy to understand why this is becoming more and more prevalent with the media working diligently to convince us that 'cinematic universes' are a thing and that fictional canon is anything other than some guy going 'this is what matters because of rules i just made up in mind', it's basically a child playing pretend but at a grander scale, this plays out in many ways in modern culture, but part of this phenomena is manifested in the way people react so strongly to 'endings' and worst yet to ambivalent endings, the author going 'ok, I'm done' is just not enough, to the people his made up world still exists, they 'know' that Tony is fictional character but they also have a strong relationship with him and feel that his 'universe' continues existing and so that asking questions like 'gee, I wonder what happened next' even makes any sort of sense.

That's because the adults in question, no longer have as vivid and active of an imagination as children on average, and thus cannot imagine their own side-canon of the universe presented and demand to be 'told' more, while someone with an active imagination may head straight to fan-fiction as reaction to the end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Syrio Lives!
I had almost spent a full decade repressing this bullshit. In two words you brought it back. Thanks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
It's weird I just couldn't get into the Sopranos. I tried to watch it long after it was a big deal and I was just like um.. this is just Analyze This but not funny.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Counterpoint the show is funnier than any sitcom

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

It's weird I just couldn't get into the Sopranos. I tried to watch it long after it was a big deal and I was just like um.. this is just Analyze This but not funny.

youre right that is weird

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Analyze This is The Sopranos but not funny.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I couldn't at the time, but years later I find it a charming time capsule of the early 00s and can definitely relate to that sense of mid-life ennui.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

banned from Starbucks posted:

Counterpoint the show is funnier than any sitcom
Yeah it's like the Simpsons except live action and Homer's job is "mob boss".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah it's like the Simpsons except live action and Homer's job is "mob boss".

You have displeased Fat Tony (both of them) with this.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I watched The Sopranos well after its heyday and it did take me a while to get into too, but mostly because I felt like I'd seen so much of it already thanks to the wave of prestige shows that followed it stealing most of its tricks

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Eh...

There are some easy plot things to spoil in The Sopranos, but the performances / written dialogue are why that show is the best.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I had almost spent a full decade repressing this bullshit. In two words you brought it back. Thanks.

Every time I’m out, they pull me back in.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I watched The Sopranos well after its heyday and it did take me a while to get into too, but mostly because I felt like I'd seen so much of it already thanks to the wave of prestige shows that followed it stealing most of its tricks

I agree with this - watching Sopranos (I think I watched the whole thing right around the time the final season was airing, so caught up as it finished), after a great first season I gradually found myself realizing that I hated literally every character on the show and wanted them all to die and never have to see them again.

Conversely Breaking Bad for example was smart enough as its protagonist got worse and worse to foreground other characters you could still root for and care about (and as comic characters got more serious, bring in ringers like Saul to fill the void)... so you could enjoy a bunch of crazy criminal hijinks without wishing for a comet to wipe out their fictional earth. Like a lot of pioneers, once Sopranos blazed the trail a bunch of others took their formula and did it better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thumper57 posted:

after a great first season I gradually found myself realizing that I hated literally every character on the show and wanted them all to die and never have to see them again.

You must've loved the ending

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

You must've loved the ending

I did!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Sopranos was a really good show that clearly didn't endorse its horrible characters, and the only reason to say otherwise is to be a fussy contrarian picking at pieces and ignoring the whole.

Contrast this with Game of Thrones which is a show that only looks good in moments of isolate and as a whole is a big pileup of crap.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
IIRC, James Gandolfini mentioned in an interview that during the course of the show he had multiple instances where he was contacted by fans who were were mobsters or mob-adjacent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The first like three seasons of Game of Thrones were really good. poo poo, just delivering the wealth of public meltdowns at the red wedding might justify the whole loving mess.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

The first like three seasons of Game of Thrones were really good. poo poo, just delivering the wealth of public meltdowns at the red wedding might justify the whole loving mess.

4 is still ok, in spite of some stupid bullshit, it has some great scenes

After that is that it goes downhill fast

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 13, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Is there a definitive answer to like.. what happened at the Purple wedding? I mean I know there was this whole thing with Sansa and her jewelry. Was that the poison then? Was it magic? I thought the Queen of Thorns lady did it, so why put the poison on Sansa. Like was there a poison sniffer or something? I never understood what the point of that was, just to make Sansa feel guilty and needlessly complicate things?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Eh, the first season was ok but honestly I dipped out about midway through the second and confirmed I wanted out by checking in to see the "epic" Blackwater fight. At risk of being too on-the-nose: the telenovela feel with no real sense of scale made everything seem really pretentious in my opinion. Part of what makes the book worth a drat is the constant undercutting of the political melodrama by showing the human cost measured in dozens to hundreds to thousands of lives, often decided by some petty bullshit motivated by emotional misunderstanding.

There was no realistic way to ever get that scale into the show and it's clear the show had the best money, actors, and production design possible so I don't knock it for that, but it's one reason I was never in the "oh the show was so good up to Season 3" camp.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
not getting killed for treason is why you put the poison on sansa. she's a patsy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think they mean "why bother killing Joffrey when it seems obvious--especially with hindsight-- that all it'll do is put Cersei even more firmly on the throne?"

Taking Tyrion off the board is the only reason I could think of, but even then no one takes Tyrion all that seriously and Cersei is just Joffrey with a little more patience, so what's the real net gain there?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, James Gandolfini mentioned in an interview that during the course of the show he had multiple instances where he was contacted by fans who were were mobsters or mob-adjacent.

Andre Royo got offered actual heroin for free by an actual heroin addict on the street of Baltimore because "You look like you need this more than I do."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I think they mean "why bother killing Joffrey when it seems obvious--especially with hindsight-- that all it'll do is put Cersei even more firmly on the throne?"

Taking Tyrion off the board is the only reason I could think of, but even then no one takes Tyrion all that seriously and Cersei is just Joffrey with a little more patience, so what's the real net gain there?

So Joffrey wouldn’t rape her granddaughter?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Her granddaughter wouldn't be married to a monster.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

not getting killed for treason is why you put the poison on sansa. she's a patsy

I get like blaming Sansa, and framing Tyrion. I just remember there was this thing about how important she wear this special necklace, which presumably was a magical poisonous necklace I guess?

I guess I just never understand what sort of physically happened. I guess I could just reread it, but like how did the necklace get the poison into the cup?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I might be conflating memories from the show, but I think one of the amethysts in the necklace hairnet is actually just a purple poison capsule, or coated in poison or something. Olenna removes it at some point during the feast (we're not told this directly, I think she just fusses with Sansa's hair) and puts it in the chalice, thus transferring the poison.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 13, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

So Joffrey wouldn’t rape her granddaughter?

That does make sense.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I might be conflating memories from the show, but I think one of the amethysts in the necklace hairnet is actually just a purple poison capsule, or coated in poison or something. Olenna removes it at some point during the feast (we're not told this directly, I think she just fusses with Sansa's hair) and puts it in the chalice, thus transferring the poison.

Yes but why? Why the elaborate plot with having Sansa bring the poison in and someone else take it off them and use it? Doesn't that seem unnecessarily complex?

Sansa flees after anyway, so they would've blamed her anyway, so... why?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The geography of the scene makes it so that a retainer would likely have a hard time getting access to Joffrey's cup before someone else could inspect it, but one of the head nobles would have a much easier time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes but why? Why the elaborate plot with having Sansa bring the poison in and someone else take it off them and use it? Doesn't that seem unnecessarily complex?

Sansa flees after anyway, so they would've blamed her anyway, so... why?

Yeah, I always though that made no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

The geography of the scene makes it so that a retainer would likely have a hard time getting access to Joffrey's cup before someone else could inspect it, but one of the head nobles would have a much easier time.

Then... why risk the plot by having the poison somewhere else? Why not just have Olenna carry it herself?

It's not like afterwards people are like "oh clearly Sansa did it she had that necklace or shawl or whatever and it had those black jewels and those black jewels = the strangler"

And on top of that, if that really was the poison, they risked the whole plot on someone they didn't trust, that drunken knight that Sansa saved, telling him to tell Sansa to wear the necklace. And we know they didn't trust him because they kill him right afterwards.

It just struck me as either George Lucas style plot twists, or else Martin meant to do something with it and then edited it but forget that the reason for the whole necklace thing had been edited out or I don't know what.