Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dorium posted:

i took advantage of the Target 15% off 4K Blu-Ray sale and bought Zombi 2

https://www.target.com/pl/783019882

there's a few real good deals in there ($15 for Hell of High Water before the sale price).

Pre-ordered the Requiem 4K, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Thanks for the heads up about the Film Movement sale. I've been waiting to buy The Reflecting Skin restoration and their Kitano stuff for ages.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

People might want to avoid the new "Paramount Presents" edition of To Catch a Thief:
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/2359/picture:0

Oddly enough, the 2012 Blu-ray (which used a 2K restoration by Lowry Digital done in 2007) holds up beautifully.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

jeez, what did they do to it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time is closing shop at the end of the month and pretty much has their remaining catalog on closeout:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...de-sale.366793/

Of what's still available, these are my biggest recommendations:

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter - great comedy by Frank Tashlin with Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield
Bedazzled - Peter Cook and Dudley Moore comedy directed by Stanley Donen (written by Cook and Moore, with a score/songs by Moore)
Two for the Road - Wonderful romantic film starring Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney directed by Donen, written by Frederic Raphael (score by Henry Mancini)
10 Rillington Place - Chilling performance by Richard Attenborough as real-life serial killer John Christie (directed by Richard Fleischer)
The Birth of a Nation - Strictly for film scholars, but the definitive restoration (taken from an original print and the camera negative) with a second disc of docs and extra Griffith films.
The Gang's All Here - Busby Berkeley in Technicolor with Carmen Miranda and giant bananas!
Interiors - Woody Allen's first drama, one of his best films
Our Man in Havana - Carol Reed and Graham Greene team up on a satirical spy film with Alec Guinness as master spy/vacuum salesman (also has Ernie Kovacs as a Cuban police captain and Burl Ives as an American doctor)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m not surprised. Their releases have been getting fewer and smaller for a while and they’re old titles have been popping up elsewhere too. Will have to get bedazzled before they close up, maybe a few others.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That's a shame. While some of their older releases on loan from studios have found their way to other labels, I doubt the majority of their Fox titles are going to get any kind of re-release (because of Disney), which is really too bad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

That's a shame. While some of their older releases on loan from studios have found their way to other labels, I doubt the majority of their Fox titles are going to get any kind of re-release (because of Disney), which is really too bad.

I've been picking up a lot of Fox titles for that reason, even if they're not really must-have ones for me.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I have a unusual issue.

My Blu-Ray player seems to have had its remote give up the ghost on me. Since the player is barely known as is (Momitsu BDP-799) and the retailer I bought it from is defunct, I may have to find a new player. The two issues are I wanted a all-region player since I have a few Region B only discs and the TV it'll be connected to has no HDMI. The connection would have to be HDMI to DVI (I have that cable) with RCA audio out. What are the best options?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 10, 2020

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Island Nation posted:

I have a unusual issue.

My Blu-Ray player seems to have had its remote give up the ghost on me. Since the player is barely known as is (Momitsu BDP-799) and the retailer I bought it from is defunct, I may have to find a new player. The two issues are I wanted a all-region player since I have a few Region B only discs and the TV it'll be connected to has no HDMI. The connection would have to be HDMI to DVI (I have that cable) with RCA audio out. What are the best options?

What about getting a universal remote instead of an entirely new player?

EDIT:

The Logitech Harmony remotes can control your Momitsu.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 11, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time is closing shop at the end of the month and pretty much has their remaining catalog on closeout:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...de-sale.366793/

Of what's still available, these are my biggest recommendations:

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter - great comedy by Frank Tashlin with Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield
Bedazzled - Peter Cook and Dudley Moore comedy directed by Stanley Donen (written by Cook and Moore, with a score/songs by Moore)
Two for the Road - Wonderful romantic film starring Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney directed by Donen, written by Frederic Raphael (score by Henry Mancini)
10 Rillington Place - Chilling performance by Richard Attenborough as real-life serial killer John Christie (directed by Richard Fleischer)
The Birth of a Nation - Strictly for film scholars, but the definitive restoration (taken from an original print and the camera negative) with a second disc of docs and extra Griffith films.
The Gang's All Here - Busby Berkeley in Technicolor with Carmen Miranda and giant bananas!
Interiors - Woody Allen's first drama, one of his best films
Our Man in Havana - Carol Reed and Graham Greene team up on a satirical spy film with Alec Guinness as master spy/vacuum salesman (also has Ernie Kovacs as a Cuban police captain and Burl Ives as an American doctor)

If they still have Emperor of the North everyone should have that. Also a Fox film incidentally.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So is it just understood that Disney will never release Fox catalog films physically, or have they said something about it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

So is it just understood that Disney will never release Fox catalog films physically, or have they said something about it?

They outright said repertory theaters can gently caress right off and they're pushing Disney + hard so I'd be real surprised if they put any of that poo poo out on blu-ray or even licensed them out. And blu-ray is a niche market so I think the best case scenario is apathy on their part.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

VoodooXT posted:

What about getting a universal remote instead of an entirely new player?

EDIT:

The Logitech Harmony remotes can control your Momitsu.

That might be the better option. Thanks

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Origami Dali posted:

They haven't said anything publicly on the blu-ray front, but I've heard from people in the know at a label that Disney will not even discuss licensing Fox titles to them.

CPL593H posted:

They outright said repertory theaters can gently caress right off and they're pushing Disney + hard so I'd be real surprised if they put any of that poo poo out on blu-ray or even licensed them out. And blu-ray is a niche market so I think the best case scenario is apathy on their part.

Also, with Disney Plus I'm almost certain the company is trending the direction that wants to prevent people from owning physical copies of movies

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 11, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

They haven't outright said anything publicly on the blu-ray front, but I've heard from people in the know at a label that Disney will not even discuss licensing Fox titles to them.

They stopped new licensing, but it seems like there's enough of a backlog which is why Criterion and Shout! Factory have been able to release Fox titles as recently as this year. Kino Lorber's rep seemed optimistic for some time in the near future.

It could go either way, but I'd definitely put an effort into getting any Fox titles you've been on the fence on from any label before they go away.

For that matter, with Little Richard passing, I'm at a loss of how The Girl Can't Help It isn't on Blu-ray yet. Twilight Time released Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? last year and there was a DVD released about 15 years ago. Certainly not a rights issue since the DVD is apparently still in print and nothing kept the title song from being featured in Female Trouble's 4K restoration.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Agnès Varda Criterion box:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1259905797032681474

Coming soon, available Aug 11, 2020
BLU-RAY 15 Discs $174.96

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

As Criterion continues to offer 30% off on all in-print or upcoming releases through May 31, $175 is a great deal in case there's no July B&N sale. They don't charge your card until it's ready to ship, so you're pretty much 100% safe with preordering.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Almost Blue posted:

They haven't said anything publicly on the blu-ray front, but I've heard from people in the know at a label that Disney will not even discuss licensing Fox titles to them.

It's hard to know what it will be in the future. Disney has worked with GOG to release old videogames, so if they can get money, why not. I don't see Disney+ ever hosting stuff like This Is Spinal Tap, Married to the Mob, or Thieves Like Us, so when someone realizes that they can make money licensing this stuff to boutique labels, I can see them moving.

But it's the same thing with audiophile labels. Sometimes, the major labels are impossible to deal with, then new people come in with new priorities, and next thing you know, they're giving you access to stuff you'd never dream about.

quote:

Also, with Disney Plus I'm almost certain the company is trending the direction that wants to prevent people from owning physical copies of movies

Eh, I don't think that's their long term plan. Blu-ray is not a competitor to streaming media. I don't know anyone who buys physical media who doesn't also stream. What would Disney rather have, 10 bucks a month in perpetuity, or 10 bucks a month in perpetuity and 20 dollars for a Blu-ray a pop as well?

I think that there's been a lot of focus on the merger and getting their streaming service set up, and coming to grips with a catalog they own that they don't care about beyond Star Wars and some Marvel movies and the Simpsons. At some point, someone's going to say "hey, we could make a lot of money with these old Fox films."

But it could take some time if that were to happen. But I think Disney has been used to not really licensing out their material, and so now, they have a catalog of stuff that they haven't really had to think about.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 11, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's hard to know what it will be in the future. Disney has worked with GOG to release old videogames, so if they can get money, why not. I don't see Disney+ ever hosting stuff like This Is Spinal Tap, Married to the Mob, or Thieves Like Us, so when someone realizes that they can make money licensing this stuff to boutique labels, I can see them moving.

Those three films are owned by MGM (plus StudioCanal for Spinal Tap) and Fox has just been the distributor. Fox's distribution of the MGM library ends next month.

I think there's going to continue to be demand for physical media, but it'll probably take some time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

Those three films are owned by MGM (plus StudioCanal for Spinal Tap) and Fox has just been the distributor. Fox's distribution of the MGM library ends next month.

I think there's going to continue to be demand for physical media, but it'll probably take some time.

Well, now I'm convinced that this is all a ploy by Disney to make me look like a fool.

But I'll show them. They haven't seen the depths of my foolishness!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's hard to know what it will be in the future. Disney has worked with GOG to release old videogames, so if they can get money, why not.

While this is a good point, they have said that video games is the one industry they haven't ever been able to figure out so they've basically given up and work with whatever publishers that want to. Disney Infinity basically killed any will for them to fight in that industry.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kino was able to get some Hollywood Pictures titles, so it seems possible that other lesser titles could get distribution. I'm not gonna hold my breath for it, but it's possible. Plus everyone forgets that Disney hold a major stake in Hulu as well. That's where a lot of the catalog Fox television and film stuff is gonna wind up, not Disney +.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Kino Lorber's HTF rep revealed that one of the reasons holding up a video release for Song of the South (besides the obvious) is that there's music clearance issues that would cost a fortune to resolve. My guess is that they actually looked into getting Disney to license it.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, now I'm convinced that this is all a ploy by Disney to make me look like a fool.

But I'll show them. They haven't seen the depths of my foolishness!

To be fair, the way rights are with films, a lot of it is far from obvious.

Sort of like how Warner Bros. owns the pre-mid-1986 MGM library, MGM owns the United Artists library, some of the United Artists library ended up with Paramount, and two decades of the Paramount library ended up at Universal.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Is it possible we could see some new stuff from boutique labels after that happens? Any highlights?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Liar Lyre posted:

Plus everyone forgets that Disney hold a major stake in Hulu as well.

Disney doesn't just hold a major stake in Hulu, it effectively owns it outright. It got a controlling interest after buying Fox, and then it reached a deal to buy back AT&T's stock in the country. And then it reached a deal to buy Comcast's share in 2024, but Comcast already relinquished its operational input with Hulu and so they are a silent partner with their stake for another few years.

So, yeah, Disney gobbled up Hulu in its entirety.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Is it possible we could see some new stuff from boutique labels after that happens? Any highlights?

Possibly, but we're seeing a lot of backlogs catching up. For example, Criterion has released or has announced six 20th Century Fox titles within the last 12 months while the previous two years before that only had two releases (The Tree of Life and Blu upgrade for Young Mr. Lincoln). The only Disney/Fox titles that seem imminent are Hitchcock's Spellbound and maybe a few Fox films they've had for a while. Nobody has released a Blu of The Girl Can't Help It, while there's definitely a 2K restoration.

Shout! Factory just put out The Fly Collection, The Omen Collection, and Big Trouble in Little China in the latter part of last year while I don't think they had anything from Fox before that since 2014 (Vincent Price Collection Vol. 2, Phantom of the Paradise, and Ravenous). Kino hasn't had anything from Fox since Barton Fink in 2017. Twilight Time released their last slate in September, which included two Fox films (though, their releases were primarily Fox and Sony titles anyways, with some MGM, Universal, and independents). Arrow US hasn't had any Fox titles at all and the last UK exclusive they licensed was Phantom of the Paradise back in 2013.

So, who knows?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Timby posted:

Disney doesn't just hold a major stake in Hulu, it effectively owns it outright. It got a controlling interest after buying Fox, and then it reached a deal to buy back AT&T's stock in the country. And then it reached a deal to buy Comcast's share in 2024, but Comcast already relinquished its operational input with Hulu and so they are a silent partner with their stake for another few years.

So, yeah, Disney gobbled up Hulu in its entirety.

Oh poo poo, so I guess Hulu is the Touchstone Pictures of streaming now.

I do hope Disney does a boutique label one day. Not for the big titles, but give a little love to the lesser titles like Black Cauldron and Sword and the Stone. They could totally justify it by making it limited run. Pull another Disney Vault situation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Liar Lyre posted:

Pretty much. Disney has said that some of the harder R-rated movies in the catalog will wind up on Hulu (preferring to keep Disney+ family-friendly), and all of FX's stuff is on there, for example.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my copy of Danger Diabolik early from Shout! Factory.

Looks like it's the same transfer used for the Paramount DVD years ago, but looks quite good. No noise reduction or sharpening garbage, just an older transfer that could use a little bit of cleanup. I'll take that over something smoothed over. Only new extra turns out to be a second commentary, but all the DVD extras are intact.

Liar Lyre posted:

I do hope Disney does a boutique label one day. Not for the big titles, but give a little love to the lesser titles like Black Cauldron and Sword and the Stone. They could totally justify it by making it limited run. Pull another Disney Vault situation.

I'll never let Disney off the hook for restoring all 75 Silly Symphonies cartoons and the only product to result from that was an expensive box set of vinyl records.

What I'm hoping is that Disney sees that licensing is worth it when they've had to shut down their parks for three months.

License stuff deserving of a scholarly, film buff level of attention to Criterion like Fantasia, Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Let Shout! Factory get stuff like The Black Hole, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Watcher in the Woods. Kino Lorber could do the movies in-between like Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Dr. Syn, Candleshoe, etc.

It's especially disheartening when they had some great laserdisc sets even for lesser-known films. Their CAV laserdisc for Saludos Amigos/The Three Cabelleros was packed with extras and alternate audio tracks. The DVDs and Blu-ray are bare-bones.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 12, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Timby posted:

Pretty much. Disney has said that some of the harder R-rated movies in the catalog will wind up on Hulu (preferring to keep Disney+ family-friendly), and all of FX's stuff is on there, for example.
How come The Simpsons wound up on Disney+ when FX/FXX airs it all the time? And a lot of content in The Simpsons isn't exactly family-friendly. Seems like it would fit in perfectly on Hulu.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

How come The Simpsons wound up on Disney+ when FX/FXX airs it all the time? And a lot of content in The Simpsons isn't exactly family-friendly. Seems like it would fit in perfectly on Hulu.

Disney+ has stuff like The Black Hole, The Black Cauldron, and Tombstone, too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ringu0 posted:

Agnès Varda Criterion box:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1259905797032681474

Coming soon, available Aug 11, 2020
BLU-RAY 15 Discs $174.96

Pre-Ordered it as soon as I saw it available. I will happily make sure I save up for this. Looks like a great collection.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Disney put thier own blu-ray out of The Black Hole, but it's only available from the movie club. So that exists anyway. A fellow goon helped me get it.

Back to something you said before, do you think that maybe people will become annoyed with the on/off nature of some titles on streaming that this could encourage a bit more of a push towards physical media? I personally don't think blu-ray is ever going to be anything more than a niche market.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Back to something you said before, do you think that maybe people will become annoyed with the on/off nature of some titles on streaming that this could encourage a bit more of a push towards physical media? I personally don't think blu-ray is ever going to be anything more than a niche market.

I think for a certain person, it will matter. But a lot of people, they just want to watch a movie, and they're happy to watch whatever is there.

But as the streaming market gets more vertically oriented, that could help make physical media more alluring. If you want to watch the Office, you don't need to worry about getting a streaming platform just to watch it, you can get it on disc and watch it whenever you please.

Hell, I bought M*A*S*H on DVD because Hulu only put up the version with the laugh track. Streaming gets a bunch of little things like that wrong all the time. And you know they're not going to fix that error because they don't care.

Which as an aside, is pretty loving stupid. You spend all that time and money to remaster the show in HD. Clearly, you think it appeals to a broad audience. So when it comes to the audio, you don't take the version without the laugh track, you take the version with it, and use that. It's not like the most popular comedies nowadays don't have laugh tracks, and so you could make the show feel that much more modern and ahead of its time by presenting it as intended. But what do I know?

But here's the thing - I don't think of a show or a movie as being owned by Fox, Viacom, or Universal. At some point, it's going to be too hard to find what you're looking for, and that either ends up in a rise of piracy, or a push back to physical media in some respect. The system we have today has some good ideas, but gently caress having 20 different apps just so I can watch Frasier in standard definition, remaster that in HD you cowards!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

dorium posted:

Pre-Ordered it as soon as I saw it available. I will happily make sure I save up for this. Looks like a great collection.

I love Varda's work so much, and this is a fantastic collection. I just need to accept that price tag.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Terminator 2 Theatrical Cut, Digital Code: CDUQL88QK4B0ZWZ2

go to redeemmovie.com to get it

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
And here's a code for Unforgiven (that came with the UHD edition): QXYW2J7Q3HYH
warnerbros.co.uk/redeem

I don't know if it's IP restricted.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Apparently the Al Adamson collection is back up for order on Severin right now, so I did the needful. I kept waffling on it because $170 is a lot of money, but I rewatched that drat trailer and I couldn't not buy it. gently caress it, nothing matters anymore anyways, and that collection just feels like an Important Thing. It's like a totem, a talisman. It will keep me safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

It's most likely going to be in many top 10 lists at the end of the year, so I have no regrets about that purchase. I read there's an error on disc 8 that makes the Blu-ray unplayable, but they are fixing / replacing it, so no worries. A top 10 list with Al Adamson next to Lawrence of Arabia, what a strange world we live in.