Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Something which they acknowledge in the sequel announcement video if I remember right. Which was kinda fun.

The fundamental difference being that Bright is essentially the sequel to Lord of the Rings, and the different races and their prejudices are based on ancient poo poo. It might sound nitpicky, but one of the reasons that the concept works in Shadowrun is because goblinization was a cataclysm forced upon the modern world and has only really been a thing for over half a century or so - whereas Bright bases the concept on Sauron's conquest, but the world is basically still just the same as our world except there are centaurs and poo poo. The whole thing is such a wasted opportunity to actually examine ideas of age-long hatreds and racial stratification, but it just turns out to be "orcs are gangbangers and fairies are pests, look there's one shot of a dragon in the sky" and also the main character is a huge racist and we're still supposed to sympathize with him. Nothing about that movie works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rochallor posted:

I watched Bridge on the River Kwai for the fist time a few months back knowing little besides there's a bridge on the river Kwai and Alec Guinness was in it, and for the first hour or so I really disliked it. Given that it was a war movie made barely a decade after the end of the war it depicts, I was expecting an entertaining puff piece about the pluck and ingenuity of Our Boys and I was so resistant to the idea that a movie from that time would have such a complex portrayal of war and such a flawed, short-sighted protagonist that I thought it was just bad at being a dumb war movie. It took me a while to get over that hurdle, but drat is it a great film.

I think my first viewing had similar resistance but I think it legitimately is one of the best war movies, still.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Bright sucked because of Will Smith’s weird rear end performance, questionable directing, awful script. But the idea and concept is kind of good. I liked the orc partner, but it felt like the fantasy sequel to End of Watch

It doesn't really make sense for any human regardless of skin color to be living in a lovely neighborhood when the orcs are already stand-ins for African-Americans.

Hakkesshu posted:

The fundamental difference being that Bright is essentially the sequel to Lord of the Rings, and the different races and their prejudices are based on ancient poo poo. It might sound nitpicky, but one of the reasons that the concept works in Shadowrun is because goblinization was a cataclysm forced upon the modern world and has only really been a thing for over half a century or so - whereas Bright bases the concept on Sauron's conquest, but the world is basically still just the same as our world except there are centaurs and poo poo. The whole thing is such a wasted opportunity to actually examine ideas of age-long hatreds and racial stratification, but it just turns out to be "orcs are gangbangers and fairies are pests, look there's one shot of a dragon in the sky" and also the main character is a huge racist and we're still supposed to sympathize with him. Nothing about that movie works.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you want a GOOD version of Bright, just watch Alien Nation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you want a GOOD version of Bright, just watch Coneheads

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

It also makes no loving sense for the world to be mostly the same as ours. I believe at one point you see a church but this is a world where magic exists and a major historical event taught to everyone in schools is the attempted takeover by a dark wizard thousands of years ago. Why would Christianity still be a thing if Jesus would at best be considered just another Bright?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Fantasy world that developed into the equivalent of the modern day' is an interesting idea, and there's a point where you have familiar stuff be there to make it more clear what you're actually going for rather than have to waste time explaining things.

That said, religion and hypocrisy tend to go hand in hand, see all the Christians who think Middle Easterners are subhuman.

Also, y'know, the whole thing with Judaism, Christianity and Islam all being based on the same source material?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you want a GOOD version of Bright, just watch Theodore Rex

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The MSJ posted:

Bright is a Shadowrun prequel. Artemis Fowl is Shadowrun Jr. Even the new X-com game has become Shadowrun. But Shadowrun itself is not getting adapted. The irony.

Because CGL are run by utter morons who can't even be arsed to do proper testing for their latest version of Shadowrun just so it could be pushed out ahead of Cyberpunk Red, so that checks out.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

If you want a GOOD version of Bright, just watch Mac and Me

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

The first Lindsay Ellis video i watched was her breakdown of Bright, and while her style of analysis has some built in limitations, a wasted opportunity like Bright is almost tailor made for it. She tore it to shreds. It was great.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Clowner posted:

David Ayer is a huge piece of poo poo

Do tell

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Netflix, I just saw on May 24 Netflix is going to release Betaal, a movie set in modern India where a construction project disturbs a colonial-era grave and releases an army of zombie British East India Company soldiers. I like this as an update take on the Nazi zombie genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSEVaVc-nOo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Please explain.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Please explain.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

every loving critic: "iS tHiS jOsH tRaNk'S rEdEmPtIoN"

Josh Trank: "haha butt go pbbbbbbbttt"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Please explain.

Apparently there are two scenes where he shits his pants, and then a fantasy sequence showing him shooting people while walking around in a drooping loaded diaper.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

josh trank finally has a captive audience

you will know his kink

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Please explain.

https://twitter.com/joshuatrank/status/1259872337429585921

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're a director you put what you love on screen, even if it makes the viewing audience intensely uncomfortable. Tarantino likes feet, Argento likes his daughter, Burton likes Depp, Trank likes poop. (In the case of Trank's previous work, he applied that principle more metaphorically)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Rethinking what Ben Grimm was made out of in Fant4stic now...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

what the gently caress

kudos for using practical i guess

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

Please explain.

Josh Trank listened to all the people that keep pointing out that Capone didn't actually die in prison but as a free man in a palatial estate as his mind rotted from syphilis, and made a movie solely about that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is actually a pretty good idea. Way too many biopics are spread way too thin and try to cover the subject's entire career or even their entire life and end up feeling more like a loose highlight reel than an interesting story.

Picking one very specific part of the subject's life to depict gives you more room for depth.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is actually a pretty good idea. Way too many biopics are spread way too thin and try to cover the subject's entire career or even their entire life and end up feeling more like a loose highlight reel than an interesting story.

Picking one very specific part of the subject's life to depict gives you more room for depth.

Someone should do this with an early part of the subject's life, but only spend half an hour on it and another hour of on screen text epilogue explaining the rest of the subject's life. No music. No photos. Just a black screen and text. Then credits roll.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gotta make sure to really give the film time to dwell on the pants making GBS threads.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Codependent Poster posted:

Gotta make sure to really give the film time to dwell on the pants making GBS threads.

As seen in the hit film Unfriended, pants making GBS threads can have fatal consequences.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

As seen in the hit film Unfriended, pants making GBS threads can have fatal consequences.

or you become the gun girl grifter

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alan Smithee posted:

or you become the gun girl grifter

An equally damned fate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

Does Anakin even know he was immaculately conceived?

This isn't what the Immaculate Conception means (it refers to the doctrine that Mary was born without original sin).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timby posted:

This isn't what the Immaculate Conception means (it refers to the doctrine that Mary was born without original sin).

Yeah that's my bad, I used IC because I thought Virgin Birth was the one about Mary specifically.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’ve def used them interchangeably

The places you learn poo poo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah that's my bad, I used IC because I thought Virgin Birth was the one about Mary specifically.

Jesus Christ was the virgin birth. Mary (whose lineage is never explicitly discussed in the Bible) has traditionally been considered, at least in Catholicism, to have been conceived and born without original sin (the concept of which was heavily driven by St. Augustine, who believed that original sin is inherent due to your parents having sex), and that's the Immaculate Conception.

Oddly, the concept of the Immaculate Conception was never part of strict Catholic dogma until Pope Pius IX issued Ineffabilis Deus in the 1850s or so, which codified it and caused considerable strife between the Vatican and various Catholic sects, in large part because there is nothing in any translation of the Bible which explicitly supports it. I believe the Greek Orthodox Church still rejects it, in fact.

Okay, lessons from a childhood of Catholic education over.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 12, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tars Tarkas posted:

I should revisit this movie and see if it holds up, I haven't seen it since it came out on DVD.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Disney has ditched their previous theatrical release plan for... Hamilton. Moving up from the previous release date of October '21 to this July 3rd.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i was confused initially that they might be trying a limited theatrical release for July 3 but it's streaming-only

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sorry, yes, it is going to be on Disney Plus.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Hamilton just a stage recording or is it going to be like, a movie movie?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s a stage recording. This move seemed strange to me at first but then I realized the original plan of taking another year and a half to theatrically release a stage recording was probably stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

muscles like this! posted:

So Disney has ditched their previous theatrical release plan for... Hamilton. Moving up from the previous release date of October '21 to this July 3rd.

I can't believe that they had this movie scheduled for literally 17 months from now and were literally just gonna sit on a completed film for all that time

or at least one that they actually had a hand in producing and was not just thrust on them ala New Mutants