Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I like how SD3's easy mode was just "pick Kevin." And now Trials' easy mode is "pick Angela."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Beefstew posted:

I like how SD3's easy mode was just "pick Kevin." And now Trials' easy mode is "pick Angela."

It's definitely still pick Kevin.

I feel like the worst character this time over is Hawkeye, he's a bit all over the place. It's very strange that his light/light class suddenly requires spirit for example and all his spells are weirdly crowd controlly and not that great. I feel like everyone else has their special niche and he doesn't.
That's not to say he's bad, just the worst of the 6.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 10, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

idk reisz's attack strings are kind of cruddy and buff items are cheap as hell. don't feel like she really brings much. hawkeye is at least fun to use

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Taear posted:

I feel like the worst character this time over is Hawkeye, he's a bit all over the place. It's very strange that his light/light class suddenly requires spirit for example and all his spells are weirdly crowd controlly and not that great. I feel like everyone else has their special niche and he doesn't.

Hawkeye eventually gets an instakill attack with his strong attacks. He's good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

lets hang out posted:

idk reisz's attack strings are kind of cruddy and buff items are cheap as hell. don't feel like she really brings much. hawkeye is at least fun to use

Reisz does tonnes of damage and her perma-debuffs on every enemy are glorious. Definitely better than having to work out what items do what as well.
Hawkeye doesn't feel like he has a slot. Instakilling normal baddies isn't really very important to me, maybe if it worked on bosses?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Taear posted:

Reisz does tonnes of damage and her perma-debuffs on every enemy are glorious. Definitely better than having to work out what items do what as well.
Hawkeye doesn't feel like he has a slot. Instakilling normal baddies isn't really very important to me, maybe if it worked on bosses?

Hawkeyes is good, even beyond the 'lucky find' chain abilities. First, he is very fun to actually control, which is important. He actually has easy to use power attacks that mesh well.

Second, his classes are all pretty good? someone mentioned how his light classes have interesting tanking mechanics or good damage earlier, and his master ninja class is very good at AoEs, with AoEs being kind of king in this game.

Not sure about nightblade, but I'm sure it's not bad even beyond the 10% chance to insta kill.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Looking through Riesz options, Vanadis seems completely useless...like Starlancer is better in every way. Am I missing something?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Poque posted:

Looking through Riesz options, Vanadis seems completely useless...like Starlancer is better in every way. Am I missing something?

Everyone's got a class that's a bit poo poo.

Arkeus posted:

Hawkeyes is good, even beyond the 'lucky find' chain abilities. First, he is very fun to actually control, which is important. He actually has easy to use power attacks that mesh well.

Second, his classes are all pretty good? someone mentioned how his light classes have interesting tanking mechanics or good damage earlier, and his master ninja class is very good at AoEs, with AoEs being kind of king in this game.

Not sure about nightblade, but I'm sure it's not bad even beyond the 10% chance to insta kill.

Lucky Find is good, sure. But Nomad at least doesn't have anything useful at all. And having to pivot to putting points in spirit to get his underwhelming spells is annoying.
Too much of his stuff only works in normal fights and they're over so fast that I don't NEED anything fancy (like crowd control) in them. I also find him quite hard to control in all honesty, Reisz and Kevin seem easier to get their combos off with.

Maybe what makes the difference is going specific ways with your characters, because I didn't find Angela in Dark/Dark even half as strong as Kevin in Dark/Dark because the enemies are so loving mobile that Ancient Power misses a lot. It's great in normal fights, but not so great in boss fights (with one or two exceptions where the enemy is large and sat about)

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 11, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Taear posted:

You'll have a pretty hard time. The promotions make such a big difference that being level 16 instead of level 18 in an area and doing a boss at 16 instead of 18 is night and day I've found.
And a character that's level 40 and promoted is a lot stronger than one who is level 45 and isn't.

Oof yeah, I just got destroyed by Harcypete. The AI is extremely bad at dodging her untelegraphed attacks, so I ran out of rez items while she was still at 3/4 HP. I could probably solo her down with Duran because all her attacks are avoidable, but it would take me forever, and getting hit by just one grab attack would be game over. And if she's this hard, there's no way in hell I'm getting past Zehnoa or B&B.

Oh well :sigh:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Taear posted:

In other news does anyone ever really use their charge attacks? Towards the end of the game (as Angela) I kinda forgot it existed and even as Kevin it feels a bit underwhelming and not worth the bother.

The only time I've used them is when an enemy is doing some attack with a nebulous hitbox and I want a power attack ready to go when they're done because attacking into their back will mean I get hit by the back of the hitbox, otherwise it's faster even to do a single light -> power attack and does more damage. Even the skills I've had with Duran that buff it don't buff it enough to not make it worthless.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Arkeus posted:

Nightblade gets status effect abilities, so not great for bosses even though he can still debuff. But then he also gets another instant kill on hit for any enemy inflicted with a status, plus damage boosts on afflicted enemies. It's a trash melter.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Hawkeye's honestly right behind Angela, at least in 3 of his 4 classes. Rogue is a caster that targets defense (making him a natural partner to Dark Kevin or Duran) and does more damage.then you'd expect with some very big spells, Ninja Master is a screen-filling debuff machine while so doing appreciable Magic Damage with some potent personal enhancents who also is the best character at refilling his CS meter in boss fights, while Nightblade Hawkeye completely trivializes trash encounters between rapidly multi-hitting AoE status attacks, 10% IK rate per hit, and 30% CS per enemy IK'd while still putting in some work in boss fights due to still having ST debuffs and pretty good damage on his class spells.

No character is bad, although some lean harder on their support aspects then others, and support isn't nearly as important in this version of the game then the original. Rieze probably gets slapped with this the hardest because her personal damage is lowest of all characters across all their jobs (although Light/Light Charlotte is the lowest among all individual paths, followed by Light/Dark Duran) but she doesn't do BAD damage, especially in Dragon Master, and her debuffs in particular are damage increases that stack multiplicitivity to the buffs that you can slather on your party.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Had to pull up my old SD3 save file from '07 to find out what my party was. Star Lancer Liesz, Rune Master Angela, Night Blade Hawkeye. Good times, I barely remember this game and it will be fun to play it again.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Taear posted:

Yea for your spoiler above you called it prologue.

In other news does anyone ever really use their charge attacks? Towards the end of the game (as Angela) I kinda forgot it existed and even as Kevin it feels a bit underwhelming and not worth the bother.

Charge attacks are just for breaking armor off enemies pretty much. You also get 6% gauge in crystals, but you do a lot less damage than combos, so it doesn't seem worth it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Poque posted:

Vanadis is for giving Riesz something that fully covers her legs?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Do charge attacks actually remove armor? I was under the impression that armor just breaks after X amount of damage, regardless of the source.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

It comes off to normal attacks eventually, but charge attacks (and class strikes) are much more effective at it. Other than a couple super beefy enemies at the end of the game, it's always knocked it off in one hit for me.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Taear posted:

I used it for knocking the shields off of armored enemies while controlling hawkeye on my initial playthrough. It takes the shield off in one hit for everything cleanly whereas hawkeye moves enough during his attacks that using combos could be hit or miss, especially with multiple armored targets at once.

I also tried it for Duran's duel for his third class item since he needs to wait out area attacks anyway and there are a couple strength talents for it, but I'm not sure whether it was particularly effective. He was a liege that run so it seemed like it was going to be a slow grind toward inevitable victory regardless.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Don't know if any of you watch Vinny's streams, but he went up against Zehnoa last night and it was a hilarious trainwreck (timestamp at 24:16):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeThoKOiqoI&t=1456s

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Do charge attacks actually remove armor? I was under the impression that armor just breaks after X amount of damage, regardless of the source.

Same. That's backed up by that Duran thing that causes you do to 50% more damage to shields.
Although I'll say that I've noticed absolutely no difference between when I had that and when I didn't.

Having done the game twice over I feel a bit bad for Angela/Kevin/Reisz in that they're basically second fiddle in their own stories. Kevin/Charlotte is like 90% Charlotte and I felt poor Kevin got gently caress all out of it. Hell Kevin's dad hasn't even got a name!

Both games I've got a bit bored of it when I got to the final areas as well. There's something about the ??? Seeds bit and not having another class to become in the actual game itself that kills a bit of my enthusiasm and the final bits do go on for a good while. Oh and the final Lil' Cactus is seriously underwhelming, but that might be because I don't super rate the class strikes (the enemies don't pause when you use them so they move out of the way loads) and because it's the end of the game when you finally get it.

And I've mentioned it before but not being able to click through dialogue without it skipping big loving chunks of stuff is really annoying. Heath speaks so slowly but I clicked once and suddenly it's cut to Charlotte and I've lost a fuckload of dialogue. So annoying! It happened with the Masked Mage too.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 11, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Charge attacks are just for breaking armor off enemies pretty much. You also get 6% gauge in crystals, but you do a lot less damage than combos, so it doesn't seem worth it.

Except power attacks also break armor and give off CS gauge so it's just a slower and weaker way of doing it while also making you slow and vulnerable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Taear posted:

There are 4 items in the game, chocolate, ??? seeds, cup of wishes, and Flammie drum. No other items exist

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Except power attacks also break armor and give off CS gauge so it's just a slower and weaker way of doing it while also making you slow and vulnerable.

Nah, just testing it, charge attacks still do it way more efficiently. The combos do almost no damage, so you're not accomplishing anything building up to the power attack, and it still takes more power attacks to do it than charge attacks, so you're wasting significantly more time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess charge attacks could also be for when you've staggered a boss and don't have a CS available?

On a related note, I really wish bosses had a stagger gauge, since that is clearly a thing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah you can do more damage than a charge attack and not remove the armor from enemies. It's proportionate to their HP/Defense (Kettle Kins had sturdy enough shields to require multiple Kevin charge attacks when I first fought them.)

Taear posted:

Having done the game twice over I feel a bit bad for Angela/Kevin/Reisz in that they're basically second fiddle in their own stories. Kevin/Charlotte is like 90% Charlotte and I felt poor Kevin got gently caress all out of it. Hell Kevin's dad hasn't even got a name!
Everyone's story twines well enough together that really the only person who gets jipped out of their arc is Angela. Because she doesn't show up anywhere else after Jadd (first or second time, depending on party comp) for anyone without her in their party.
Charlotte's also a bit over-weighted on plot time, considering the first visit to Wendel is kind of a giant flop for her narratively (unless you actually play as her.)

Angela/Kevin provide the more 'active' of the antagonists for their stories and both have reason to face their Big Bads (although Kevin's is the weakest but there's plenty you can infer from him doing so.)

The most balanced storyline is actually Riesz/Hawkeye. Their share of their story is pretty equal, all said and done. You could argue that Hawkeye is the more second fiddle of the two of them since Jessica gets resolved early enough, except Belladonna is his active antagonist and she's got the most presence of all of them :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charger attacks break most armors in one. Regular power attacks take 4 or 5

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There are 4 items in the game, chocolate, ??? seeds, cup of wishes, and Flammie drum. No other items exist

You forgot the flute and the honey. And walnuts.
Otherwise yes this is correct.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Nah you can do more damage than a charge attack and not remove the armor from enemies. It's proportionate to their HP/Defense (Kettle Kins had sturdy enough shields to require multiple Kevin charge attacks when I first fought them.)

Everyone's story twines well enough together that really the only person who gets jipped out of their arc is Angela. Because she doesn't show up anywhere else after Jadd (first or second time, depending on party comp) for anyone without her in their party.
Charlotte's also a bit over-weighted on plot time, considering the first visit to Wendel is kind of a giant flop for her narratively (unless you actually play as her.)

Angela and Kevin just don't seem to have loads of motivation. The final enemy in Angela's bit ties closest to Duran (and even Crimson Wizard has a shitload of Duran stuff too) and the final enemy in Kevin's bit is really for Charlotte. I'm not saying they haven't got any motivation at all, it just feels like Angela/Kevin get a lot less out of the end. They feel like second characters even though they were both my main characters.

I guess with Reisz at least you spend a lot of time in Levante, you never even visit poor Navarl.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Taear posted:

Nah. Hawkeye is second only to Angela in power because he's a high power caster and high power casters dominate the remake. Ninja SP Boost one and two stacked together lets Ninja Master Hawkeye chain AoEs into class strikes all day long. Fire and Water Diversion plus are three hits each, which on a boss, is going to give him a ridiculous amount of CS gauge per cast.

The worst character in the game is honestly, sadly, Riesz. She has no real noteworthy damage output, her support moves are largely unnecessary in a remake dominated by offensive firepower, she can easily be replaced by items. Riesz sucks, unambiguously. The only possible way someone could think Riesz does good damage is if they had mained her and no one else.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 11, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What is Angela's deal by the way? When she needs the hero King he's like "What the true when has a daughter? That explains everything" and she's like "what the hell are you talking about" and he's like "I'll tell you later, now isn't the time" but then this is never mentioned again as far as I can tell

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah. Hawkeye is second only to Angela in power because he's a high power caster and high power casters dominate the remake. Ninja SP Boost one and two stacked together lets Ninja Master Hawkeye chain AoEs into class strikes all day long. Fire and Water Diversion plus are three hits each, which on a boss, is going to give him a ridiculous amount of CS gauge per cast.

The worst character in the game is honestly, sadly, Riesz. She has no real noteworthy damage output, her support moves are largely unnecessary in a remake dominated by offensive firepower, she can easily be replaced by items. Riesz sucks, unambiguously. The only possible way someone could think Riesz does good damage is if they had mained her and no one else.

I just don't get this. Melee is superior to casting other than against trash mobs and even then only a few spells. What use is AoE against nearly any boss? A few have extra bits to target but not many. Reisz does good damage and the debuffs go on every enemy, cast effectively instantly, cost barely any mana (so you don't need to worry about running out) and work on bosses too.
And her damage is good. She outdamaged my Duran by loads although I'll admit he was a Liege. And her damage isn't TOO different from Kevin.

Meanwhile Hawkeye is just there - no interesting buffs, no interesting spells.

Casting was amazing in the original because when you cast it froze the enemy in place but in this it's just not close to as good.

Yes your class makeup and which side (light/dark) you pick can make a difference in which bosses you find the hardest but I definitely feel I killed them a thousand times faster with Kevin than I ever did with Angela. Doesn't help that you have to stand still to cast and can easily be interrupted either!

What is Angela's deal by the way? When she needs the hero King he's like "What the true when has a daughter? That explains everything" and she's like "what the hell are you talking about" and he's like "I'll tell you later, now isn't the time" but then this is never mentioned again as far as I can tell

It feels a bit like it's implying she's Richard's daughter. It vaguely implies it in the postgame too.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

AFAIK they literally never mention it directly again. It's a carryover from the original script

The implication is sorta that King Richard and she had a tryst but it's really never elaborated on

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Storyline wise it's weird that it gives you the idea Penda was destroyed ages and ages ago but Richard/Loki were there. So much for it being Ancient.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

If you're on the Dragon Lord route, the Darkshine Knight during his fight says something like "Hm? Could you be Richard's...?"

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Kevin's storyline is just a cliff notes John Wick.

I think he's implied to be Angela's father, but that's something I got from somewhere in the SNES fan translation way back when and not the remake.

It also bugs the hell out of me they keep referring to her as the "true" queen when in context the "queen of wisdom" title made more sense. "True" as in honest makes sense too, but that's the google translate version of the word and not how people usually use it even in fake ye olde english talk.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Poque posted:

Starlancer's big thing is the perma buffs, but after a while you actually want to finish a fight quickly enough that you don't need to recast them. So I guess Vanadis could work out? unsure.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Translation wise I think going with Dark/light wasn't the best idea either since it kinda implies evil/good in English. Not a huge deal, but still.

The fourth classes have some proper impressive descriptions considering how boring they are. Kevin's one kinda implies it mixes both the DD and DL classes together but you don't get any new abilities whatsoever! Same goes for Charlotte.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love the horrifying implication of Kevin's storyline in that he did, in fact, bury his extremely alive dog in the ground.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taear posted:

Storyline wise it's weird that it gives you the idea Penda was destroyed ages and ages ago but Richard/Loki were there. So much for it being Ancient.

In Pedan I believe someone says the Dragon Lord's targeting that town. I always assumed the place gets destroyed just before Richard/Loki win, 15-20 years is plenty of time for a jungle to make good ruins.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

yook posted:

It also bugs the hell out of me they keep referring to her as the "true" queen when in context the "queen of wisdom" title made more sense. "True" as in honest makes sense too, but that's the google translate version of the word and not how people usually use it even in fake ye olde english talk.

I think in the 96 fan translation they called her the “Queen of Reason” which I really like, because then when she up and attacks Valsena (Forsena) out of nowhere everyone’s like, um, I thought she was the Queen of Reason? Wtf is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Fister Roboto posted:

I love the horrifying implication of Kevin's storyline in that he did, in fact, bury his extremely alive dog in the ground.

It's okay he's alive at the end.

Edit: Also Angela is obvs Richard's daughter, making her crown princess of both countries and Duran will become the king of their new prosperous kingdom

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 11, 2020