Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Slurs bad. Website down. Maybe it'll be replaced with a new name.

I want WB to take a break though, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It already has a new name.

https://palewebserial.wordpress.com/

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

Stop being stupid about slurs, please.

Quoting for a new page for anyone else who missed this.

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Shortest Path posted:

This is the exact opposite of that, though. Most people living outside of the UK and the few other places where that's a thing don't know that poof is used as a pejorative. WB is canadian and, as has been discussed in here before, a bit sheltered in some ways.

What I've gathered is that he originally named it poof for reasons which he says will make perfect sense much later into the story, and when he was informed it might be something that's taken the wrong way by some people he reached out to several gay folks that he trusts and was told by them that it wouldn't be an issue. When he launched it publicly, other people spoke up about it, and he decided it wasn't worth using that name if it would be a problem for some readers.

He handled the whole thing really well imho.

I was making fun of the poster I was responding to, not wildbow.

Anyway looks like it's handled now so we can move on.

Anyone have a good source for a synopsis of Pact? I read it a long time ago and just want a Coles notes version to catch myself up.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Lone Goat posted:

Anyone have a good source for a synopsis of Pact? I read it a long time ago and just want a Coles notes version to catch myself up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

quote:

Louise’s eyes welled with moisture as an animal cry shook her house, and she found herself shivering as it died away. She shivered in a very different way when she wiped at one eye and her fingertips came away crimson with blood.

how do people read this

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how do people read this

:shrug: Easily, my standards aren't very high when it comes to prose. (Or maybe I just don't understand the issue)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Louise’s eyes welled with moisture as an animal cry shook her house, and she found herself shivering as it died away. She shivered in a very different way when she wiped at one eye and her fingertips came away crimson with blood. Blood? Blood. Crimson, copper-smelling blood. Her blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. And bits of sick.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Louise’s eyes welled with moisture as an animal cry shook her house, and she found herself shivering as it died away. She shivered in a very different way when she wiped at one eye and her fingertips came away crimson with blood. Blood? Blood. Crimson, copper-smelling blood. Her blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. And bits of sick.

She stared in disbelief as her hands fell off. From them rose millions of tiny maggots. Maggots? Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. Maggots... all over the floor of the post office in Leytonstone.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

She stared in disbelief as her hands fell off. From them rose millions of tiny maggots. Maggots? Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. Maggots... all over the floor of the post office in Leytonstone.
Nina's eyes popped out of what was left of her back. Why oh why had she opened that tomb? The sand turned red. This was because she was bleeding on it. Blood - ruby-red blood, her blood. Blood… and piss and poo poo. This was the worst day of her life. A blue box appeared in front of her. She'd earned 20xp in the [shitter] class.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gently caress that was gonna be my next one

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Author. Dreamweaver. Visionary. Plus hero summoned to another world.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Nina's eyes popped out of what was left of her back. Why oh why had she opened that tomb? The sand turned red. This was because she was bleeding on it. Blood - ruby-red blood, her blood. Blood… and piss and poo poo. This was the worst day of her life. A blue box appeared in front of her. She'd earned 20xp in the [shitter] class.

Please tell me this is a joke. It's hard to tell with web serials nowadays.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalas posted:

If anything the prose of Garth Marenghi is probably still a tick above

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

between this post and the whole title renaming thing I have become convinced that an artist must always write from a purely adversarial position with his or her readers

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
I don't think ---- Pale is supposed to be a full fledged Pact Sequel, WB said in the Ward wrap up post on his blog that he would be doing a bunch of shorter works for a while to try and decompress and get out from under the weight of 5 years of continuity. A lot of the tone from end of Ward was about slowing down and taking a breather instead of charging heedlessly right back into the fight. Maybe WB will still refuse to break the chain on posting twice a week, but going off and doing a bunch of short stories that are way quicker and easier to write could be a decent compromise in terms of time off. And similarly, as a reader, now that I can put the Worm-verse up on the shelf, it frees up a lot of RAM for other stories.

That said, I know I would love to see stuff from the Pact verse that doesn't have the sort of breakneck pace and grinding doom that Pact itself had. There were any number of oddball practitioners and creatures in Pact that could have been the focus of their own story. I already want to know what's up with the creature in Pale.

And really, hilariously embellished bloodbloodblood quotation aside, Pale leads with a strong dose of mundane horror. The thoroughly painted picture about how Lousie is suffering so badly from a realistic medical problem that could easily happen to anyone hits harder than a few drops of magic eye blood. Pith does the same thing in arc one, and it's powerful for the same reasons. If you look past all the genre tropes, you have someone trying to live with a serious illness. That alone is scary, for good reason.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

jboslund posted:

WB said in the Ward wrap up post on his blog that he would be doing a bunch of shorter works for a while to try and decompress and get out from under the weight of 5 years of continuity.
Yeah, and Pirateaba is gonna start writing shorter chapters any day now

Kalas posted:

I'd love to read a satirical isekai LitRPG. I thoroughly enjoyed Arrogant Young Master Template A Variation 4 parodying Xianxia, at least for a while.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What the gently caress is happening in this thread

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I dunno, that could literally be from some of the more terrible LitRPGs out there.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Bad prose is a kind of psychic attack.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

Bad prose is a kind of psychic attack.

Does that mean that we should look forward to Heather creating a RoyalRoad account and attacking other cults by writing secret shipfic about her housemates? (She'll gain some popularity, but never come close to unseating the site's premiere body horror romance, which Praem has been writing in secret. Please look forward to the serial community teaching her all the wrong things about what it means to be human.)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Twil will kill anyone who finds her Teen Wolf account.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Does that mean that we should look forward to Heather creating a RoyalRoad account and attacking other cults by writing secret shipfic about her housemates? (She'll gain some popularity, but never come close to unseating the site's premiere body horror romance, which Praem has been writing in secret. Please look forward to the serial community teaching her all the wrong things about what it means to be human.)

I can't imagine anything more horrifying than Praem being taught by royal road readers, please stop giving Hungry ideas. :gonk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something about wildbow's prose is like Tetris where if you've been reading it too long you start to constantly imagine the italicized text following random things you're thinking. I don't know exact figures on it, but I heavily associate wildbow things with a pattern of sentences/paragraphs followed by italicized text that runs counter to the preceding paragraph or involves an idea that is supposed to be surprising or startling.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Twil will kill anyone who finds her Teen Wolf account.

I think you spelled "Evelyn" wrong.

I can't imagine anything more horrifying than Praem being taught by royal road readers, please stop giving Hungry ideas. :gonk:

The real eldritch horror is the communities we joined along the way.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon: Geneva's life sounds like a goddamn nightmare now, the idea of slowly being taken over and pushed out of your body creeps me the gently caress out, ugh

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Peachfart posted:

TWI Patreon: Geneva's life sounds like a goddamn nightmare now, the idea of slowly being taken over and pushed out of your body creeps me the gently caress out, ugh

You know you are in for a ride when the chapter has trigger warnings.

I suspect the other sylphids were watching for that. That feels like it was more then a 'nick of time' rescue. At least Geneva will get her team of helpers that don't have to worry about the virus.

Dagg3r
Mar 16, 2012

But time flows like a river... and history repeats...
Fun Shoe
I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone have any good romance/slice of life web serials?

Ideally where the relationship is the main point, not tacked onto level up/gamelit garbage, but I don't mind if there is a backdrop of that (or Wuxia, or sci fi or whatever).

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dagg3r posted:

I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone have any good romance/slice of life web serials?

Ideally where the relationship is the main point, not tacked onto level up/gamelit garbage, but I don't mind if there is a backdrop of that (or Wuxia, or sci fi or whatever).

I don't write romance as the main point or slice of life, but I used to write romance for a living and I write character based stories in a cyberpunk world. Specifically Shadowrun.

The backdrop is a magic high school (I know, I know) and the main character of the first book has an initial lesbian will they or won't they, followed in later books by a maturing of the relationship in a realistic way where they can actually have disagreements and anxiety and such without the relationship becoming "not meant to be" which is a trope within the subgenre. At the same time, the subplot isn't really meant for a male audience to ogle over. In fact, I'm anti-ogling because they're under eighteen lesbian girls and I don't want to be a creep. What I'm more interested in was writing to an audience who don't have a lot of media directed at them about what young love looks like and what a relationship looks like up close. Setting good expectations. Especially, as I mentioned later, when the relationship matures. A lot of media focuses on the initial chase or the breakup or dysfunction, because that drives conflict, and not what a healthy, functioning relationship looks like.

Later on in book five I add a hetero relationship with one of the other protagonists (there are three) and it's different in flavor. Both are wounded people with their own trauma, but they don't let that trauma define them while at the same time switching between happy, chaotic and melancholy.

I'll be frank and say that my work isn't slice of life nor is it based in romance, but it is character driven and if my readers/co-authors are to be believed, I frequently tug on their heartstrings. So you'll find both romance and slice of life woven into the narrative.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835049 for the serial on the forums.

https://blakeisland.wordpress.com/ for something easier to read and more polished, but a few chapters behind.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 11, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dagg3r posted:

The Simulacrum on Royal Road started out by making fun of harem animes. Then it turned into one.

Ice Phisherman's stuff is good.

You might like Mother of Learning on Royal Road. It was written to help the author flesh out the day to day life of his world. Fair bit of combat and magic focused though.

Royal Road has a Romance tag you can filter searches on. Reader beware.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Mother of Learning is great, though I was mildly bummed that Zorian and Taiven never got together. It felt like the story couldn't make up its mind- both of them clearly said that they weren't all that into each other, but it also wrote them like they were totally into each other.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

Mother of Learning is great, though I was mildly bummed that Zorian and Taiven never got together. It felt like the story couldn't make up its mind- both of them clearly said that they weren't all that into each other, but it also wrote them like they were totally into each other.

I felt like it made perfect sense, given that Zorian is mentally in his late 20s or older and would be too different from Taiven due to that (even if you ignore that the mental age gap is ethically dubious).

The thing that bugged me is that Zach ended up not having much of a role in the "end game" of the series. I liked Zach a lot, and while his actions/mindset more or less make sense (IIRC at that point Zach was worn down mentally and had basically given up on surviving, so he wasn't really invested in solving things like Zorian was) it was still a bummer for him to have so little focus at the end given he was the character who unquestionably spent the most time with Zorian.

Ice Phisherman posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835049 for the serial on the forums.

https://blakeisland.wordpress.com/ for something easier to read and more polished, but a few chapters behind.

Ah, thanks for reminding me of this. I had started reading it a while back and found it interesting, but forgot to continue reading.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 11, 2020

Dagg3r
Mar 16, 2012

But time flows like a river... and history repeats...
Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

The Simulacrum on Royal Road started out by making fun of harem animes. Then it turned into one.

Ice Phisherman's stuff is good.

You might like Mother of Learning on Royal Road. It was written to help the author flesh out the day to day life of his world. Fair bit of combat and magic focused though.

Royal Road has a Romance tag you can filter searches on. Reader beware.

I bounced off of The Simulacrum some time in the second main part, might have to give it another shot.

Ice Phisherman’s stuff is quite good, agreed.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I felt like it made perfect sense, given that Zorian is mentally in his late 20s or older and would be too different from Taiven due to that (even if you ignore that the mental age gap is ethically dubious).

The thing that bugged me is that Zach ended up not having much of a role in the "end game" of the series. I liked Zach a lot, and while his actions/mindset more or less make sense (IIRC at that point Zach was worn down mentally and had basically given up on surviving, so he wasn't really invested in solving things like Zorian was) it was still a bummer for him to have so little focus at the end given he was the character who unquestionably spent the most time with Zorian.

Ah, thanks for reminding me of this. I had started reading it a while back and found it interesting, but forgot to continue reading.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I think part of it was that I found the whole "Weirdass autistic brain wizard learns to human" thing genuinely interesting early on, when he was like 'I've used my telepathy to deduce that people's outward behavior does not match their real feelings on a 1:1 basis' and the audience was like 'No poo poo'. But after a while a lot of that got backseated, and I think it would've been really interesting to see the aftermath. Because yeah, he killed the cultists and stopped the bad thing, but holy poo poo he's a maladjusted teenager in his late 20s coming down from 10+ years of nonstop fight-or-flight, also he can explode things with his brain. So yeah- I think seeing more of the slice of life crap would've been welcome especially in the back half.

And yeah, Zach got robbed. Like, the poor guy didn't even show up in the epilogue, what the hell?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I thought he showed up?

I hope the author keeps the world going and goes into a slice of life with the cast as is. There is a lot of potential there and with the stakes higher and exploring ptsd maybe it could be great

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dagg3r posted:

Well.... Romance seems to be huge as a genre on Webnovel.com and while most non-romance novels on that site are dogshit there are a few really good ones being published there, so surely there has to be some good stuff among the popular romance novels as well?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ytlaya posted:

Somehow I don't think a high school boy hitting on women a decade+ his senior is going to work out terribly well. Let alone Zach hitting up...retirement homes, I guess?

Just from a social angle, going more than a few years older than themselves probably isn't feasible.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Zorian needs to find himself a nice GIFTS.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I thought it made sense that Zorian and Taiven didn't end up together because Zorian already got burned super hard by Taiven and had put quite a bit of energy into moving past that. That kind of thing is tough enough to backtrack without a big clusterfuck like the time loop. Then post time loop, she thinks she's older than him and way better at combat magic. But surprise he's older and so far beyond her that the revelation of his skills is crushing to her. They seemed like a great example of two people who could have been a good couple with better timing.

More slice of life stuff with Zorian building his life and repaying his accumulated debts would be great. I think the author said that if he wrote more in the world, it would be exactly that, so I'm definitely looking forward to that in the murky future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The Daily Grind just did a horrible dungeon, featuring the world's worst toilet. They really got off lightly with the office.

The author says the Patreon version has reached the Christmas special, which is absurd. Good for them?