Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sorry I can't hear you over the fact that we now have a galactic hive mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So I've got a question - what's the city screen of an Earth city look like as compared to one of the galactic/supercluster cities? Do they still matter, or are the galactic buildings and terrain numbers just that many orders of magnitude huger that five or six pops overshadows 100+?

Because otherwise we've got small portions of one world outproducing galaxies and that's appropriately hilarious.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The civilization transcends time, bridges the galaxies with the ease of blinking our synthetic eyelids, has conquered death, brought our consciousness to a place that would have been literally inconceivable a short century ago, aims to defeat the ultimate fate of the universe still in entropy's grasp...but is someone going to do something about that drat mallard!?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

The civilization transcends time, bridges the galaxies with the ease of blinking our synthetic eyelids, has conquered death, brought our consciousness to a place that would have been literally inconceivable a short century ago, aims to defeat the ultimate fate of the universe still in entropy's grasp...but is someone going to do something about that drat mallard!?

And somehow, we haven't won a tech victory yet.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Complications posted:

So I've got a question - what's the city screen of an Earth city look like as compared to one of the galactic/supercluster cities? Do they still matter, or are the galactic buildings and terrain numbers just that many orders of magnitude huger that five or six pops overshadows 100+?

Because otherwise we've got small portions of one world outproducing galaxies and that's appropriately hilarious.

Dilmun is a complete Supercluster city, at least for the current point in time.

Ostia is the city that got hit by a superplague a while back, it remains the weakest of my earthbound cities apart from the gimmick one settled on the edge of space.

Maybe if I was devoted to galactiforming I could make Dilmun better, but it's really more effort than I want to expend now and it can't necessarily make up for the lack of buildings. Even a lot of the better developed space ones are producing 10-18k science at most. If I was minmaxing, I would have the smallest number of cities possible to get to the next stage of space and settled more Earth cities. But part of the numbers you see for Ostia might just be because the Earth cities had time to build up superpopulation and a new Earth city would suck. Anyways, i'm just throwing up 3-4 cities every time we get to a new layer.

Cythereal posted:

And somehow, we haven't won a tech victory yet.

The tech victory shows up near the end of the final era. It comes with a wonder that is absolutely awful to build if you don't have the Science Victory enabled, which I will show off but not build.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 9, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Another reason that I really want multi-map to be implemented is that there are two layers that aren't on this map that can't be included in any kind of sane manner without multi-map. They both have a building associated with them listed in the civilopedia that could theoretically be built but you'd have to use the world builder to make the right tiles for them to exist.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jossar posted:

Maybe if I was devoted to galactiforming I could make Dilmun better, but it's really more effort than I want to expend now and it can't necessarily make up for the lack of buildings. Even a lot of the better developed space ones are producing 10-18k science at most. If I was minmaxing, I would have the smallest number of cities possible to get to the next stage of space and settled more Earth cities. But part of the numbers you see for Ostia might just be because the Earth cities had time to build up superpopulation and a new Earth city would suck. Anyways, i'm just throwing up 3-4 cities every time we get to a new layer.

Cool, thank you.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The map is essentially the New Yorker cover "View Of the World From 9th Ave" except it is the entirety of existence. Huge detail is rendered into the various bays that your prehistoric tribes start out around, but an entire supercluster/galactic superwall spanning billions of parsecs? That's just a 6x6 square.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

This is true both in the sense that: 1) As we get into the last two layers they don't even bother making differentiations in the terrain any more and it's just uniform cosmos all the way across. 2) Having lived on the border between 8th and 9th Avenue, that's how it really is. I'm not even sure I remembered the rest of the universe even existing beyond 11th or so, most of the time.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 9, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Cosmic 3

Zeptotechnology marks the end of a line of buildings I mentioned before. We started at the Epsilon Assembler, then went up to Delta, Gamma, Beta, Alpha, Omega, before finally ending here at Aleph. It also allows for the mass production of Vibranium as well as this Deep Space level Accelerator that can accelerate anything.

We now have the basic ability to work with dark matter, mostly just taking advantage of its abundance for the construction of megastructures.

Noogenesis relates to the evolution of intelligence throughout the known universe, possibly reflecting our own ability to encourage such at this point.

Neutronium is interesting because it contains what is supposed to be the ultimate space battleship in the game, which for some reason can go back to Earth even though it’s produced at an Intergalactic facility and space ships couldn’t do that before? But the values for space ships don’t interact properly with the rest of the map. So instead of having an overpowered 480 strength super unit that should dwarf the Earth in size, you’ll instead spend 20-something turns flying this clunker back to Earth only for it to pop the instant it runs into an outdated Barbarian APC or something.

Now we’re manipulating dark energy in a more sophisticated way allowing for energy harvesting as well as the artificial inducement of space expansion in some places.

Even the in-game descriptions have started giving up on explanations as to how stuff works at this point. It just says something like “well you must have figured it out somehow!”

We’ve all finally given up on physicality for good at this point. Pure Information Society comes with a bunch of civics that, surprise surprise, do not help with the goal of maximizing science at this point of the game. I think I even downgrade some others from nominally more advanced civics just to get our science up as far as it’ll go.

I kind of think that Time Travel should have been further up on the tree based on some of these techs, which seem like a step back.

We finally figured out how biology works just as we’ve given it up. The tech also allows for improvements representing utilization of neutron stars in a more advanced form than just shoving self-contained colonies around them.

Just to one up our previous status as beings of pure information, we are now beings of pure energy. A lot of Mongolians now live in Dark Matter Cities, with the game following the assumption that if Dark Matter does turn out to be some form of exotic matter that it makes a more optimal habitation space for sufficiently advanced civilizations.

You want an explanation? - https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IYvj54eecYk/VlPRflvPtkI/AAAAAAAAEWk/Y_jjKCORAMg/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/space-magic%2B1.jpg

I’m not sure why the pinnacle of the penultimate stage of existence is that everyone is running around with superpowers and as literal fantasy mages, but I wasn’t joking before.

Stable Time Loops is home to the Chronoforming Ship, the last worker unit. Most of its advanced functions will not be unlocked until the next era, though it can still serve as a better Cosmic Worker until then.

And here we go, Cosmic Engineering lets us build the Universal Economy capstone wonder as well as wonders representing our colonization of the rest of the observable universe. This is the biggest known structure that we’ve found in the universe, period.

So I guess we’ll find out what it means to go even bigger than that, next time.

(Techs not mentioned: Unification Mathematics, Computronium Universe, Zero Point Energy, Reactionless Drive, Electroweak Matter, Macroscopic Superposition, Supersymmetric Particle Construction, Compact Wormholes, Quantum Ramjet, Omega Minus Engineering, Shapeshifting)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 11, 2020

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I can't believe this is what it takes to destroy Bezos

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a wonder based around proving Time Cube to be correct

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

overmind2000 posted:

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a wonder based around proving Time Cube to be correct

That would be incredibly silly!

After all we're not that advanced yet: it's a tech and accompanying tile improvement in Transcendent. I'm pretty sure for once that the devs are just being ironic in using a Time Cube quote to accompany the actual tech though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 11, 2020

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Jossar posted:

Just to one up our previous status as beings of pure information, we are now beings of pure energy. A lot of Mongolians now live in Dark Matter Cities, with the game following the assumption that if Dark Matter does turn out to be some form of exotic matter that it makes a more optimal habitation space for sufficiently advanced civilizations.

Yeah, becoming pure energy beings is impressive and all, but when do we evolve into beings of pure salt? :colbert:

(Can't wait. So salty.)

(someone had to make the reference)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's interesting to me that we've gotten enormous detail on what kind of ink color corded ware pottery cultures might have used in 8000BCE but at the point where the game explicitly breaks physics and everything can be conceivable...it's incredibly impoverished. They're all variants of "insert magic here" with bigger numbers. Finally freed to let their imaginations run rampant, there's in the end, nothing of interest.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

quote:

YISUN was saddened, and spoke the seven syllable secret name of royalty, which is YS ATUN VRAMA PRESH, and assumed a universal form. The blood drained instantly from PREE ASHMA’S face for she saw her gift was a suffering she was not prepared for. Before she could avert her gaze, the winds of YISUN’S body scoured her flesh with deep grooves and lashed at her pretty face, disfiguring her with shrill screams.

With mighty hands, YISUN grasped the spokes of the Universe, which is the WHEEL, and wrenched it on its side with no more force than a feather fall. PREE ASHMA then beheld the Universe from its side and in that moment understood the secret name of God and laughed at her stupidity. Her eyes flashed like drops of water in a pan and were gone instantly for she had willingly hungered after what was hers all along. Her beauty was lost and her flesh scoured, the blood pooled around her small white feet and she spoke the secret name of God aloud.

“I”.

Psalms: 10:26

(read kill six billion demons)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Sadly that is not the intended reference, even if it does make me wish the picture was Zoss surfing the Wheel instead:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Godwheel

(Between this, the superheroes, and the Vibranium, this is actually the Marvel Comics update.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 11, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
read kill six billion demons anyway. :colbert:

(in general, not you specifically)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Seconded and not emptyposting.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

blitzball arena

after all other sports have been obsoleted

now there is only blitzball

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I feel like all the real skill has gone out of it now that the players don't need lungs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

paragon1 posted:

I feel like all the real skill has gone out of it now that the players don't need lungs.

Now the game can be a purely test of skill as timers can be used instead!

I'm far more interested in the timeline switching station and history repair center. Pictured, the timeline switching station during every episode of Dr Who:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFdyLAAzB0

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You could write books about parts of these things. Series. Multiple series. Giant game series. But how the hell you turn them into more than numbers go up is hard.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

That's Adventurers! quote. That's... what??? I mean, it describes the thing, but Adventurers! ???
They had Aeroplane II quote before and it was wild in its own weird way, but when you don't have words to describe FTW so you turn to parodies...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

NHO posted:

That's Adventurers! quote. That's... what??? I mean, it describes the thing, but Adventurers! ???
They had Aeroplane II quote before and it was wild in its own weird way, but when you don't have words to describe FTW so you turn to parodies...

Please, don't be ridiculous, that's not Adventurers!

I'm fairly certain it's 8-bit theatre.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

NewMars posted:

Please, don't be ridiculous, that's not Adventurers!

I'm fairly certain it's 8-bit theatre.

That's 8-bit Theater

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

And let's be real here, if ever there was a quote to define a tech that is no longer beholden to logic or reason...it'd definitely be one from 8-Bit Theater :v:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
But the most important question is:
Does our intergalactic intertemporal information economy still respect the gold standard?

And nothing intercosmic for some reason :ussr:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

VictualSquid posted:

But the most important question is:
Does our intergalactic intertemporal information economy still respect the gold standard?

And nothing intercosmic for some reason :ussr:

Yep, we've even moved back from Machine Rule to Federalism too for more beakers,

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jossar posted:

Yep, we've even moved back from Machine Rule to Federalism too for more beakers,

This is actually pretty hilarious when you think about it. So basically we just went and told the universal God-AI that it's fired because we've decided to split our multi-galactic empire inhabited by beings of pure light and thought into geographical sub-units for some reason?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is actually pretty hilarious when you think about it. So basically we just went and told the universal God-AI that it's fired because we've decided to split our multi-galactic empire inhabited by beings of pure light and thought into geographical sub-units for some reason?
Because every subunit does 5% more science :eng101:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

It might not be geographical sub units though?

Either way, clearly you need extra computational power that can only be tapped by expanding to other universes.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough – Transcendent 1

Before I forget, here’s another Wonder unlocked by the end of the Cosmic Era. It’s just cute enough to warrant mentioning, but it’s definitely underpowered.

Alright folks, let’s bring this on home.

The first tech of the Transcendent Era is Horizon Breaking. The logical answer to “we’ve hit the boundaries of the observable universe” is “find a way to break the boundaries.”

What is pictured is a city located in the Distant Cosmos. These are either areas still technically within the universe but so far off and distant that modern science says they’re impossible to reach/know about or we’re using black holes as portals to colonize other universes.

Dualflux Quantum Temporal Rift lets us go one step beyond that, the final point in the game. Now we’re not just colonizing the rest of the universe/other universes, we’re colonizing Hyperspace as the boundary between everything as well. Our Chronoforming ships now also have the ability to chronoform certain terrain like Distant Cosmos into Hyperspace, allowing us to bring late game tile improvements to some of our other late-but-not-endgame cities.

Hyperspace may be further chronoformed into a number of other terrains. The first one that we gain access to is Branespace. Unlike before with the Terraformed Mars/Moon you can build improvements on these terraformed spaces and some of them will be needed for end of the line buildings, although I think Branespace might just give you access to the equivalent to farms.

Controlled Inflation allows for more buildings in the Hyperspace colonies and a non-hyperspace related tile improvement concerning the construction of Observable Universe sized colonies around your Distant Cosmos settlements.

Humanity is rapidly approaching final boss levels of number of times it’s transforming in these final eras. Now we’re all higher dimensional beings capable of shifting back and forth between realspace and hyperspace. This accompanies our movement of true large scale factories into hyperspace. In fact it’s so commonplace now that people can just go out for a vacation throughout hyperspace in their personal hypercraft and observe all the myriad universes floating by.

For those of you complaining that the moon didn’t have whales, here’s your space whales.

Since we’ve broken into hyperspace and various alternate dimensions now we are capable of creating internet analogues as large as a universe, or metaverses, relying on extradimensional architecture to store all the necessary data.

As demonstrated incidentally before, the economy has finally shifted into full “nothing matters anymore” levels. I kind of think we should have had people making lovingly handcrafted artisanal planets somewhere in Galactic or Cosmic, but maybe you can only really get the fjords right at this point.

Time Reversal is like Time Travel plus. Now not only can you engage in immediate subconscious level control of your own personal timespace but as a civilization we can rewind or fast forward as far as we want. This allows for the construction of more types of terrain – the Distant Past and the Distant Future representing stable wormhole links to billions and billions of years in either direction. These can’t really get their full value unless you build city tile improvements, which we start construction on.

We end the update building Atlantis. If you have to ask whether we’re building it now or thousands of years ago when Plato mentioned Solon mentioned it was built, you’ve kind of missed the point of the last tech.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 11, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So you build a city in the distant past to plant food you can harvest in the present and start production on something now then collect the results in the distant future?

Seems kinda arbitrary, couldn't it go either way around? :v:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
All this in about eight game years.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Just think, the extradimensional Mongolians of this Transcendent Age civilization can be here observing us right now :tinfoil:

Kangxi posted:

All this in about eight game years.

Do concepts like "years" even matter in a society where cause and effect is basically meaningless and billions of years in either direction can exist all at once?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
we're now Great Old Ones, hyperdimensional beings of whom the humans remaining on earth can only perceive the smallest fragments of, vast and terrible alien intellects to whom mankind is less than bacteria

still on the gold standard

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

StillFullyTerrible posted:

we're now Great Old Ones, hyperdimensional beings of whom the humans remaining on earth can only perceive the smallest fragments of, vast and terrible alien intellects to whom mankind is less than bacteria

And meanwhile, on earth, Brazil is probably still trying to figure out if the earth rotates around the sun or vice versa. This may or may not be helped by all the poo poo the Mongolians having built a sphere around the sun and possibly rearranging stars and planets for shits and giggles.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Ron Paul ftaghn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

purebrane gold