Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
from the blessed pics thread

https://twitter.com/meowmays/status/1258878204019965957

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I had a dream last night about Scott Adkins fighting old age Harvey Keitel, Robert deniro, Al Pacino (each got taken out in one kick) and others who all gave interviews about what an honor it was to be in a movie with him

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Is there anything like the classic Shaw Bros movies still being made nowadays? I'm thinking One-Armed Swordsman and stuff like that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Tak is back! with his Re:Born director Yûji Shimomura with another movie that looks like one big fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcFfeWCMCM8

They released a teaser trailer a year ago and have apparently been doing a bunch of reshoots. If you haven't seen Re:Born yet I can't recommend it enough.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 11, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dokmo posted:

Tak is back! with his Re:Born director Yûji Shimomura with another movie that looks like one big fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcFfeWCMCM8

They released a teaser trailer a year ago and have apparently been doing a bunch of reshoots. If you haven't seen Re:Born yet I can't recommend it enough.

Oh hell yes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm kinda over the whole one-take action scene thing. Instead of spending time and resources doing everything in a single take(or making it look like a single take), just focus on making each shot flow into the next properly and giving the audience a good view of the action. There are no real long-take scenes in the John Wick series, for example, but each shot is pretty extended and they're all meticulously designed to give you the best possible view of what's happening.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
All that single take poo poo is cheated anyway. I hope they get over this quicker than they got over shaky-cam.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's a great way for boors to feel sophisticated about movies and to give any random movie cinematic clout.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Having been on the other side of the argument so many times, i feel like i now have to stick up for long takes. The reductio ad absurdum of the argument against them is that a million cuts = better, which is obviously the opposite of true, at least when it comes to action sequences. Obviously long takes can be good or bad, but it's worth remembering what they're inherently good at: Long takes are incredibly useful in immersing the viewer in the action. Even in showy shots like this one, where you feel the hand of the director at every second, you are still in the action in a way that a cut to another angle would take you further away from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJlCYNt2z9k

I think the complaint is that directors pull off these long takes (in particular, fake long takes) as a way to show off primarily, which is probably true. But sometimes it's also the best way to portray the action.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like anything else in movies it just comes down to why and how it's being used. A single take just for the sake of it might be lame but they can be cool. The one from the Daredevil Netflix series was great for selling you on his desperate exhaustion during the fight. Tom Yung Goong had one I liked because even though the choreography is not up to the usual standards it made great use of the location, going all the way up that spiral atrium. 1917 as an entire movie pretends to be one long shot and it works to hammer home the real-time race against the clock the protagonists are facing.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 11, 2020

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lobok posted:

The one from the Daredevil Netflix series was great for selling you on his desperate exhaustion during the fight.

This isn't true as he kept doing more and more elaborate moves as the fight went on. If they wanted me to think he was tired why was he doing all this spinning and jumping. It was a cheap, poor attempt at the Oldboy scene and I don't understand why people like it so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

Having been on the other side of the argument so many times, i feel like i now have to stick up for long takes. The reductio ad absurdum of the argument against them is that a million cuts = better, which is obviously the opposite of true, at least when it comes to action sequences. Obviously long takes can be good or bad, but it's worth remembering what they're inherently good at: Long takes are incredibly useful in immersing the viewer in the action. Even in showy shots like this one, where you feel the hand of the director at every second, you are still in the action in a way that a cut to another angle would take you further away from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJlCYNt2z9k

I think the complaint is that directors pull off these long takes (in particular, fake long takes) as a way to show off primarily, which is probably true. But sometimes it's also the best way to portray the action.

I just see it as a case of extremes, where a good middle ground is usually the best option. Of course, a Taken 2 style approach where you need three cuts to show your hero mounting a fence is the worst possible approach. But when you're sacrificing other aspects of the action in order to make it look like a single take, that's also a major problem.

Like I said about the John Wick films, they show that you can have very smoothly flowing and easily followable action without having flashy one-take shots. The shots in John Wick are longer and wider than the Greengrass style non-stop cutting that became popular due to the Bourne films, but there are still plenty of cuts. It allows for a balance between immersion and frenetic intensity, which I think is often lost in long one-take action scenes. The intensity of the action isn't the same, because the choreography is simplified you end up with floatier impacts and the kind of not quite there yet moves that you'd expect to see in a rehearsal or b-roll footage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really like one takes that have an energy to them or at least try and find some cool shots inside of the take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1a3QpvFLN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1WWDBTda2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jJUoibND0

And of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIIDzrVVdc

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This isn't true as he kept doing more and more elaborate moves as the fight went on. If they wanted me to think he was tired why was he doing all this spinning and jumping. It was a cheap, poor attempt at the Oldboy scene and I don't understand why people like it so much.

I mean, probably a lot of people who watched never saw Oldboy. But fair point about his moves.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
They also kinda ruined the fun by attempting to top themselves in the next two seasons with increasingly complicated one-shot scenes. They should've just been happy with the success of the first one and tried to be impressive in other ways.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I legit want more action scenes like this please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxn9md_aZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GYZPg_aQdw&t=175s

Crazy rear end camera work and cool choreography.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now i can't stop thinking about Upgrade. Fuckin love Upgrade

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If yall liked The Raid, go check out Gangs of London, which is basically the serialized version of his Gareth Edwards' Raids.

Which is to say Gangs of London slaps copious amounts of rear end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's videogame logic, shut up

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McSpanky posted:

It's videogame logic, shut up

Nah, he's right and the scene is kind of bad.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Donnie Yen did one of those things

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Of course Donnie is too cool to get hit.

Also there's some real good poo poo in there, those guys rule. Needs to be an Oscar for stuntmen.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I love those things. I wonder if there's a way to expand them out, not into a feature but maybe a longer short.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Past two weekends, slowed down a little.

Maria (2019) - 3.5/5, Netflix
Netflix suggested this, and looking at the credits I have no familiarity with anyone involved with it, but drat if this didn't kick rear end.

The plot is your basic John Wick, but the action is top notch and the movie looks extremely cool. A lot of great close quarters combat, particularly good "knife stuff," and one close handgun sequence that made me hoot at my TV.

If you like action movies you won't be disappointed seeking this out.

Stuber (2020) - 3/5, HBO Go
An enjoyable time. Humor was a little worse than I expected but the action was a little better. I especially liked them taking advantage of the R rating to include some shocking violence.

The Beautiful Ones (2017) - 1.5/5, Amazon Prime
Didn't enjoy this one. Typically what you expect from a low-budget action/crime film is a few good action scenes and some kind of strung together plot to movie the story along where the main character is cool or tough or interesting in some way.

In The Beautiful Ones, the main character is a weasel-y guy who spends a long time talking about much he wants to be Steve McQueen. The script is really bad. So you get a good fight at the beginning, a good extended action sequence at the end, and like 70 minutes of air.

Which is a little bit of a shame because Johnson does have some good work in the early bathroom fight and the way he films the shootout stuff near the end. But just watch clips of those parts and save your time on every other part of the film.

The Package (2013) - 2.5/5, Tubi
Pretty good results for a movie of this budget level. Not hard to see that both the director and writer went onto bigger and better things. The plot doesn't break out of the standard "DTV action movie makes it too complicated" trope but I find it humorous that it still manages to go in that direction even if, right on the face of it, it's a movie about Stone Cold driving a package to someone.

You get a lot of action sequences with a good variety. The opening bowling alley sequence seemed aimed directly at me, as did the small appearance of Krzysztof Soszynski. The hand-to-hand fighting is serviceable rather than stellar, but you get enough JVJ trademark gun shots and destroyed locations that I don't think you'll be unhappy as an action fan watching this one.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Checked out Omega Syndrome (1986).

Super lovely version of Commando-cum-Death Wish 3. Not fun lovely, just lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX1NRypNRFs

You see every action set piece in the trailer (which happens to be chronologically accurate even showing the final kills of the 2 major bad guys. The rest of the movie is bullshit between our hero and the cops not believing him. Goddamn it's bad.

midge fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 25, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stuber is not bad but it really annoys me that they cast Iko Uwais as the villain and then they just give him zero screentime to even establish himself as an actual personality. I would've hoped he'd be given more opportunity than that at this point, I mean you're putting him in the movie for a reason aren't you? Usually in movies like this the villain gets at least a scene or two to mug for the camera but Iko gets nothing after the first five minutes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Michael Dowse did Stuber??? What the hell, that owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Stuber is not bad but it really annoys me that they cast Iko Uwais as the villain and then they just give him zero screentime to even establish himself as an actual personality. I would've hoped he'd be given more opportunity than that at this point, I mean you're putting him in the movie for a reason aren't you? Usually in movies like this the villain gets at least a scene or two to mug for the camera but Iko gets nothing after the first five minutes.

Iko can barely speak English, which is a lot of why he hasn't taken off hugely in the West. Like, he's not even at Christopher Lambert "can fumble his way through a script phonetically" levels.

Any English-language movie that casts him has to work around this somehow, and the only real options are "have him speak subtitled Indonesian" or "have him mostly not speak."

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Iko seems to do ok speaking English on Wu Assassin which is a pretty ok action series on Netflix. It's not fantastic but has good action scenes and got me through the first week of quarantine

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Iko can barely speak English, which is a lot of why he hasn't taken off hugely in the West. Like, he's not even at Christopher Lambert "can fumble his way through a script phonetically" levels.

Any English-language movie that casts him has to work around this somehow, and the only real options are "have him speak subtitled Indonesian" or "have him mostly not speak."

Yea but I mean, you easily identified two pretty simple solutions. Give Iko a few scenes with his guys where they speak Indonesian to each other, and he gets to show off some personality. If you don't want to do that, write a character who gets to have a few big personality moments without having to speak. Not exactly an impossible task in an action flick, it's done all the time.

He just gets nothing in Stuber, I mean close to literally zero. He gets a tiny bit of spotlight in the opening scene and from there he's a complete non-entity.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but I mean, you easily identified two pretty simple solutions. Give Iko a few scenes with his guys where they speak Indonesian to each other, and he gets to show off some personality. If you don't want to do that, write a character who gets to have a few big personality moments without having to speak. Not exactly an impossible task in an action flick, it's done all the time.

He just gets nothing in Stuber, I mean close to literally zero. He gets a tiny bit of spotlight in the opening scene and from there he's a complete non-entity.
Yeah true but I feel like it's the producers being scared of the audience hearing a thick accent or reading subtitles. That was my impression at least with Tony Jaa's character in XXX 3.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fenix down posted:

Yeah true but I feel like it's the producers being scared of the audience hearing a thick accent or reading subtitles. That was my impression at least with Tony Jaa's character in XXX 3.

Which is especially funny since FnF7 gave him a bunch of personality just by having him yell 'too slow'

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Uwais is in Beyond Skyline, how is he in that and how bad is the movie? I saw the first and aside from the weird poo poo at the end it sucked rear end.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uwais is in Beyond Skyline, how is he in that and how bad is the movie? I saw the first and aside from the weird poo poo at the end it sucked rear end.

It's loving amazing, no joke. It goes exactly where you would want an alien invasion movie with the crew from The Raid to go. I was hooting and hollering to myself all throughout the ending.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It fuckin' rules. It's Frank Grillo and the Raid crew fighting aliens with knives. It's like an IMDB post proposing a ridiculous but awesome sequel actually got made.

Still waiting on "Snakes on a Plane 2: Planes on a Snake."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

All you need to know about Skyline 2 is that the aliens use a blue light to mind control people and when the good guys hack it, well, it becomes a red light.

Oh and also that it kicks rear end.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 28, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I had only ever seen the beginning of the first Skyline and later checked out the ending because it sounded kinda fun. I watched all of Skyline 2 and the ending there is just amazingly cool and a great sequel hook, especially considering the kind of escalation in action from the first to the second movie.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was not expecting that to have so much take place on the ship. Also surprise Mad Dog!

Pretty decent, the giant monsters were not something I was expecting tbh!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Watched Final Master. Not really an action flick, but the knife fight choreography is pretty wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8sRpoyYD0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

married but discreet posted:

It's loving amazing, no joke. It goes exactly where you would want an alien invasion movie with the crew from The Raid to go. I was hooting and hollering to myself all throughout the ending.

Can I skip the first one?