Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1255829940622299138?s=19

Good hire! Was an assistant for Bruce Pearl and Greg Marshall on some of their best teams and has done an awesome job as head coach at East Tennessee State the last four years. He was high on my list for Iowa their last two coaching searches. Wake is a really tough job but I think he was one of the best candidates they could realistically land

Excuse me it is Gregg Marshall.

The extra G stands for givemeafuckingbreak, Greg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Aztec_MBB/status/1256312574632656896?s=19

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/danielle_lerner/status/1257344321759649793
(apparently it's still in regards to the Brian Bowen situation, but this may mean Iona has to fire Pitino, and it seems the only way Louisville can get out of all this is by breaking its Adidas contract)

also as part of the whole regional scheduling boom thanks to the 'Rona, Louisville and Cincinnati will be playing each other next year, and Mizzou's gonna play Southwest Missouri State.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e:fb

Apparently Missouri will play a home and home with Missouri State starting in a couple of years oh this year? First time they've played at all since 1998, first time they'll play in Springfield since 1941.

I feel a resounding 'meh.' I mean, I think all states with multiple D1 schools should have a thing where the flagship university has to at least shuffle through the other schools playing one a year if there's not already a rivalry game. But as far as actually being interested in watching the game I feel like the last time I'd have been interested in that was when Cuonzo Martin was coaching the other team.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

e:fb

Apparently Missouri will play a home and home with Missouri State starting in a couple of years oh this year? First time they've played at all since 1998, first time they'll play in Springfield since 1941.

I feel a resounding 'meh.' I mean, I think all states with multiple D1 schools should have a thing where the flagship university has to at least shuffle through the other schools playing one a year if there's not already a rivalry game. But as far as actually being interested in watching the game I feel like the last time I'd have been interested in that was when Cuonzo Martin was coaching the other team.

i'd rather play SLU than SMS, but honestly playing MoSt may be better for the university as a whole, considering right now the state is controlled by the 417 area code and throwing them a bone in basketball might mean more state funding for Mizzou

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's not gonna be funny when they lose to SMS though

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mike_V posted:

It's not gonna be funny when they lose to SMS though

however bad we are now, SMS is somehow worse

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

this is a powerful jinx

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
It was a few weeks ago now but Matt Haarms ended up at BYU. It's interesting because apparently Kentucky was a finalist.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Wake Forest center Olivier Sarr is transferring to Kentucky. Will need a waiver to play immediately unless NCAA passes the free transfer rule for this year.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I love you all and I miss you all and I miss being yelled at for being an insufferable Kansas fan, rock chalk, Wisconsin would've been a fine champion, we all would've been fine champions except Duke, bless you al.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ku would've been cool as the world's largest middle finger to the ncaa

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KU fans are pressuring KU to hang a banner as the 2019-20 champs.

So yeah you can either mock us savagely as we deserve or you can laugh at Kentucky hardcore fans who are going to go apeshit about this if the Helms banners are any indication.

Win win

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In other KU news today:

quote:

KU was repeatedly chided by the NCAA in its letter, which included the organization claiming the school “in taking its defiant posture in this case, is indifferent to how its alleged violations may have adversely impacted other NCAA institutions who acted in compliance with NCAA legislation.”

Notably, the NCAA used repeated language to assert that Adidas representatives — such as T.J. Gassnola and Jim Gatto — could be considered boosters under NCAA bylaws.

That argument is critical to the case. Both sides agree that Gassnola made payments to the family members of KU players Billy Preston and Silvio De Sousa, but Self and KU assistant coach Kurtis Townsend have repeatedly denied having knowledge of those transactions. Gassnola, during sworn testimony in the FBI’s case regarding corruption in college basketball, also stated he made the payments without the KU coaches’ knowledge.

The NCAA, however, states that Gatto’s testimony at the same trial — along with video and text documents — refute Gassnola’s claim. The NCAA even went as far to point out that Self, Townsend and assistant coach Jerrance Howard were seen sitting next to Gassnola during an ESPN2 broadcast of one of Preston’s high school games in 2016, while Adidas also footed the approximately $250,000 bill for Self’s Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame induction party.

“In short, there is overwhelming factual information demonstrating that Adidas, Gassnola and Gatto promoted the institution’s interests and, therefore, are boosters,” the NCAA wrote.

KU, in a statement Thursday, disagreed.

“For the NCAA enforcement staff to allege that the University should be held responsible for these payments is a distortion of the facts,” KU said, “and a gross misapplication of NCAA Bylaws and case precedent.”

In addition, KU stated that “Chancellor (Douglas) Girod, Jeff Long and KU stand firmly behind Coach Self, his staff and our men’s basketball program, as well as our robust compliance program.”

You can find the NCAA statement of the case and reply here if you're bored enough to read it.

I don't know, historically the worst thing you could do was play chicken with the NCAA as far as penalties go. But after how they did Mizzou last year after they complied every step of the way I see no reason not to tell them to gently caress off as much as possible. From a purely trying to avoid punishment perspective I mean, not about how dumb the whole setup is.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol they're still trying to call Adidas executives "KU boosters"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Actually the funniest thing is that the football team, which hasn't won more than three games in a season since...gently caress I don't even know when, also got hit with a violation as part of the investigation.

EDIT: I looked it up. 2009. Kansas football has managed to win three or fewer games ten straight years, which would seem impossible for a P5 school to do on the face of it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually the funniest thing is that the football team, which hasn't won more than three games in a season since...gently caress I don't even know when, also got hit with a violation as part of the investigation.

EDIT: I looked it up. 2009. Kansas football has managed to win three or fewer games ten straight years, which would seem impossible for a P5 school to do on the face of it.

having watched kansas play football i would say not only is it possible, but likely

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

what is this "football" of which you speak

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh trust me, I've seen it, and it's amazing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Announced today Auburn-Memphis is one of several SEC-other teams games hypothetically being played in Atlanta in December, which is hypothetically an interesting game if it were to happen.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah, but they beat Texas the one time

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Remember when they hosed around and won the Orange Bowl

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

kiimo posted:

Remember when they hosed around and won the Orange Bowl

Hell yeah I do, then 4 months later won march madness. What a year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
As far as I can tell this means absolutely nothing both for Zion and for the aggro attorney, but sure let's blow this stupid thing wide open

https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL/status/1259534474049662982

I suppose this is all meant to attack Zion's status as a student athlete, but if he was not the direct beneficiary of payments without supporting transfers does that blah blah blah everything is so incredibly dumb and I just want Coach K but not Zion to suffer.

I'd also like the amazingly predatory agency to suffer too I guess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
whatever he got it wasn't enough

I guess it was convenient that coach K and RJ pre-vacated the title he should have won though.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Lol nothing is going to happen to Duke or Coach K. Knowing the NCAA all that will happen is that Nate James or Jeff Capel will somehow be blamed for everything

Also I would be disappointed if Duke didn’t have some great bag men given our alums have probably managed to lobby it into a tax write off and respect to Zion for getting that Adidas AND Nike money.

Adun fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 11, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

whatever he got it wasn't enough

I guess it was convenient that coach K and RJ pre-vacated the title he should have won though.

lmao

Adun posted:

Lol nothing is going to happen to Duke or Coach K. Knowing the NCAA all that will happen is that Nate James or Jeff Capel will somehow be blamed for everything

Also I would be disappointed if Duke didn’t have some great bag men given our alums have probably managed to lobby it into a tax write off and respect to Zion for getting that Adidas AND Nike money.

it is insane to me that duke’s never been caught cheating because that would imply basketball is more important to unc than it is to duke

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
At worst, Coach K will be quietly told that now is a good time to retire, the NCAA does not want to kill that golden goose.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Hell, nothing's going to happen to Kansas. Never cooperate, never surrender.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Duke isn't cool enough to have bag men. They're just so far up their own rear end they reached the small intestine.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Hell, nothing's going to happen to Kansas. Never cooperate, never surrender.

the ncaa putting out a press release to the effect of “we’re really loving mad at you kansas you big meanie jerks please take this more seriously” is the most effete limp wristed response imaginable and reinforces the idea that the ncaa basically can’t punish you without you rolling over and letting it happen

compliance is for chumps

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Having bagmen deliver money to seal star athletes’ commitments would fall incredibly low on the historical scale of general evils or specific bribery etc. associated with the Duke family name.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reminder that one of the accusations in the Adidas / Kansas thing is that Adidas offered money to Zion to go to KU but he went to Duke instead.

because he wanted to remain PURE and play at Duke for the love of the game.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Where are all of these Duke fans that think the program is clean because everyone I know is just glad we have good bag men

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Adun posted:

Rutgers fans are still pissed about hiring Jay Williams's mom 20+ years later.

And TBH I don't care about that so much as K being so sanctimonious.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
what the gently caress, now Nojel Eastern is transferring.

WHAT DID YOU DO, MATT PAINTER

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Poque posted:

what the gently caress, now Nojel Eastern is transferring.

WHAT DID YOU DO, MATT PAINTER

Probably told him that most of the ball handling was going to go to Hunter, Thompson, Ivey & Newman and he'd be playing more of a forward role.

He's a really good defender but the offensive liability is too much with the returning back court, the incoming freshman and the guys coming off red-shirt.

I forgot Ethan Morton is in the incoming class as well. The 1, 2, and 3 spots are pretty full.

Also, Nojel tweeted this a few weeks ago:

https://twitter.com/NEblessed_20/status/1254922391983095808

So maybe some chemistry issues?

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 12, 2020

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Bye Eastern - you were like the least-coordinated and worst offensive player i've ever seen. Glad i won't have to see him take (and miss) fadeaways from the elbow anymore.
Dude could defend like a boss though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mac McClung is transferring from Georgetown. Apparently he hadn’t made a decision yet when Ewing announced on the radio that he was coming back and it confused a bunch of NBA teams that Mac was still planning to meet with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know why of all the names in basketball, it's "Mac McClung" that evokes in me an initial response of, "Bullshit, that's fake."