Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

This has been expected for a while. If they can get their ducks in a row it'll be fine in like two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey we beat Australia in rugby for the first time!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I got the RWC 2019 final saved on PVR. Time to relieve the good times over and over and over again.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Falcons just confirmed they're going to be promoted next season.

Which means Sarries are still getting hosed despite the suspension of the league.

Looking forward to the season starting again at some point next decade.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should get a start in the winter. A few months to end full quarantine, some months of lower isolation to work the squads back into fitness, a month or two of full training to get the snap back into their game...

Embrace the hope.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

A bunch more full games have gone up on Youtube. Rather than poo poo up this thread with a wall of links, I'm just letting people know that I've made a pastebin, which I will be maintaining in the coming days/weeks (so long as it doesn't turn out to be too much effort), so feel free to bookmark it and keep checking back - https://pastebin.com/0BL9mEAv

I'm checking as many channels as I can remember, but it's probably not an extensive list. At the time of writing I've found 34 games posted, with 12 games yet to premiere (4 of which are being shown later today). If I've missed any that you think should be added, PM me.

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 5, 2020

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Would you mind if I share that on the Facebook group?

The group, for those of you living under a rock, is the one featured in this piece:

https://www.therugbyjournal.com/rugby-blog/quarantine-rugby-facebook-group-hits-30k-in-five-days

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Yeah that's fine.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Apollodorus posted:

Would you mind if I share that on the Facebook group?

Are you involved with the group? The last match I played (right before the season was suspended) was for the launch of an invitational team called "Tough Talk RFC", who plan to function as a training and playing environment, in which anyone in the South Wales area who suffers from anxiety or depression can be encouraged to use rugby as a means of positive therapy. They also want to function as a 'Barabrians-style' brand, that can exist in multiple countries at once, in order to promote the same message as the facebook group, almost verbatim.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/rugby-team-people-who-fighting-17427893

It seems like a no-brainer, to try and put the two organizers in touch?

Tyma fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 5, 2020

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Tyma posted:

Are you involved with the group?

Basically every American rugby player is in that group or will be soon. You should join! It's a good window into rugby in America.

Also, yes, I believe the guy who started it is working to connect with mental health organizations around the rugbysphere.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The head of the Fijian Rugby Union has stepped down after serious accusations of homophobia and discrimination were published by the Sunday Times.

The fact that Kean was the head of the union is amazing considering his blatant corruption and manslaughter conviction, leading to Dan Leo, CEO of Pacific Rugby Players Welfare and former player to write a letter condemning Kean's involvement in World Rugby and calling from him to be banned. Fiji had backed Bill Beaumont for President of WR up to this point.

https://twitter.com/pacificwelfare/status/1252278239684427778

The race for President of World Rugby between Bill Beaumont and Augustin Pichot is getting pretty tasty.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Well, it's time to dust off this old thread.

https://twitter.com/SuperRugbyNZ/status/1259702670270451712

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
That's 3am and 6am kick-off times for Northern Hemisphere, but at least Rugby is going to kick-off again with the best kind of rugby!

There's a Pro 14 fixture list out as well, but it's just one home and away match for each team (both against a team from the same country as them), and then the semi finals, which are already set in stone.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

That's 3am and 6am kick-off times for Northern Hemisphere, but at least Rugby is going to kick-off again with the best kind of rugby!

There's a Pro 14 fixture list out as well, but it's just one home and away match for each team (both against a team from the same country as them), and then the semi finals, which are already set in stone.

That's probably for the best.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Hopefully it's all held at one ground, and they get the WWE to film it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Keep this format going forward please.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ospreys gettin paid!

Ospreys: Sports marketing group takes 75.1% stake in 'multi-million pound' takeover deal

quote:

Ospreys have been taken over by a sports marketing group which has bought a 75.1% stake in the region.

Asian-based Y11 Sports & Media company has become Ospreys' major shareholder in a "multi-million pound deal".

Chief executive James Davies-Yandle and his business partner and financier Donald Tang join as new directors.

Chairman Robert Davies continues in his role with the region, saying this represents the "long-term transformation" of Ospreys.

"Since the advent of regional rugby, the Ospreys have always aimed to be its pioneers," said Davies.

"We haven't been afraid to do things differently and to push the envelope. Today's announcement is us doing the same again."

A new holding company, Ospreys International Group, has been established, with Ospreys saying all the financial benefits from the transaction are to be ploughed back into the region.

Davies and the other pre-existing shareholders will collectively retain a 24.9% stake.

"For some time now we've been planning a radical shift of gear and, from that, over 12 months of hard work and strategic planning has led to this new partnership with Y11," said Davies.

"It was essential we found a partner who shared our ambition and vision, but with the cultural understanding, expertise and resources to propel the region and community into a new era.

"We needed to secure the success of the past, whilst embracing fully the future and that is what we are now doing together. We're thrilled by the opportunities ahead.

"We are confident all our stakeholders and partners will be as excited about this development as we are.

"We have confided in the Welsh Rugby Union Executive and kept them fully aware of this development and now we look forward to planning for the Ospreys' future."

Ospreys have been searching for new investment since a proposed merger with Scarlets was shelved in 2019.

The region have struggled this season with only two wins in 18 games but have appointed Mike Ruddock as performance director and Toby Booth as the new head coach.

Davies-Yandle's father Mike played for Swansea and scored the only try of the club's 1973 draw against Australia.

"Rugby's potential has been overlooked for too long as other sports have been nimbler at seizing commercial opportunities to power success on the pitch with revenues off it," said Davies-Yandle.

"But the environment is changing quickly and rugby is on the verge of going through the same type of evolution as other sports before it.

"The Ospreys, from a standing start, have gone on to be one of the most exciting brands and teams in rugby.

"Of all the clubs we've seen, its potential to fully emerge and take the next step is far beyond that of its peers.

"We want to help it make that journey by investing in a root-and-branch transformation of the Ospreys, to ensure it leads the next wave of the game.

"Alongside the Ospreys' management, we have agreed a programme of development and investment that will touch every aspect of the organisation's operations and activities.

"Initially, we will take our time together to methodically build operational strength, capacity and resilience, before rapidly accelerating programmes across the board.

"Crucially, we are not going to allow ourselves to be held back by the current operating environment and we are not going to be afraid to break the mould.

"Ultimately, our reach and our sights are set far beyond our existing borders and our business model and expertise are too.

"It's an exciting time for the Ospreys: its team, its supporters, the organisation as well as for the game of rugby."

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
This can only be a good thing for Welsh Rugby and is in no way the start of our next and overdue rugby scandal.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of signings, the Blues have picked up a veteran 10. You may have heard of him.

https://twitter.com/BluesRugbyTeam/status/1268397923911364609

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DC at the Blues? Is it a sign of the apocalypse?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good to see these older guys getting a shot.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Bring back Beaver!
E: gently caress it. Bring back Buck!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

With BLM in mind they have this on the BBC site

Welsh rugby player George Mbofana says his mother broke down crying when she read alleged racist and homophobic abuse directed at him by Pontarddulais RFC team-mates.

His own teammates. There are some proper dodgy people in Wales.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Fixed now, but gently caress me BBC

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

bessantj posted:

Fixed now, but gently caress me BBC

https://twitter.com/LewisLudlam/status/1270340831854104578?s=19

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They probably got a raise for increased attention.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The rugby! It’s back!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thank god for us.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Not a huge fan of this 2 movement rule, at least how it is being called tonight. The player should have the opportunity to move if they are lying on the ball and need to reposition to get it back. Also being manipulated/ moved by the defending side hasn’t been coming into the equation.

... Basically my beautiful boys the Chiefs are once again getting hosed by the ref.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Not a huge fan of this 2 movement rule, at least how it is being called tonight. The player should have the opportunity to move if they are lying on the ball and need to reposition to get it back. Also being manipulated/ moved by the defending side hasn’t been coming into the equation.

... Basically my beautiful boys the Chiefs are once again getting hosed by the ref.

Something needed to be done about playing the ball on the ground. In the last few years it's turned into you have unlimited time to do whatever you like with the ball on the ground. Might need some fine tuning but it'll make.the breakdown more competitive.

All those tries scored by someone laying on the ground for 3 or 4 seconds before popping it up to somone running on? Illegal!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Something needed to be done about playing the ball on the ground. In the last few years it's turned into you have unlimited time to do whatever you like with the ball on the ground. Might need some fine tuning but it'll make.the breakdown more competitive.

All those tries scored by someone laying on the ground for 3 or 4 seconds before popping it up to somone running on? Illegal!

Yeah I get it, just last night the ref wasn’t being even remotely reasonable. The ref for the Blues game tonight seemed to have taken the appropriate learnings from the prior game and actually let the player move if they landed in a position that they couldn’t get the ball out, yet pinged on unnecessary movements. Seemed to work well.

Also Barrett being purposefully enveloped by the Hurricanes celebration after Cole’s try was loving hilarious.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

S4C doing us Welsh proud with Super Rugby highlights, commentary in a proper language as well.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Also Barrett being purposefully enveloped by the Hurricanes celebration after Cole’s try was loving hilarious.

https://twitter.com/skysportnz/status/1272031728773857280

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just saw that watching the game on tape. it's nice to see the atmosphere at the stadium in this and the last game, at least things are going right somewhere. good to have union back, and good for New Zealand

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Man I wish my wife and I lived in New Zealand. Maybe then we could have nice things, like rugby and a police force that doesn't see themselves as an occupying army trying to kill our compatriots.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Man I wish my wife and I lived in New Zealand. Maybe then we could have nice things, like rugby and a police force that doesn't see themselves as an occupying army trying to kill our compatriots.

I'm with yah man. They are actively looking for skilled people to move there, and if you're under 55 and have decent work experience and a bachelors you'd probably qualify. The distance to family is a huge killer for us though. Having lived in Aus previously it's just so goddamn far from everything, and NZ is even worse for that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

drunk leprechaun posted:

I'm with yah man. They are actively looking for skilled people to move there, and if you're under 55 and have decent work experience and a bachelors you'd probably qualify. The distance to family is a huge killer for us though. Having lived in Aus previously it's just so goddamn far from everything, and NZ is even worse for that.

Well my wife and I are early/mid-30s and we both have PhDs and 10+ years teaching experience (and my wife's got tenure already). She does her research in SE Asia so it'd be much more convenient for her! Not that I expect there's a huuuuge demand in NZ for professors in two different humanities fields at the same university...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX27awOb6g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Well my wife and I are early/mid-30s and we both have PhDs and 10+ years teaching experience (and my wife's got tenure already). She does her research in SE Asia so it'd be much more convenient for her! Not that I expect there's a huuuuge demand in NZ for professors in two different humanities fields at the same university...

Yeah you'd probably get a visa easily. Now a job in your field...............