Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Chips, you’re a mensch but chill out. We’re not licking doorknobs and have to be out of this house in a month regardless.

Bought a Grand Design 311BHS yesterday and am picking it up Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

Chips, you’re a mensch but chill out. We’re not licking doorknobs and have to be out of this house in a month regardless.

Pics pics pics! Congrats on your upcoming family adventure Tremek!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tremek posted:

Good choice, congrats.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
hell yeah awesome.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Tremek much respect to you, but you probably shouldn't be crossing the nation during these times. It's not the responsible thing to do.

I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't caught more flak for this. This forum has been wildly anti-corona but as soon as one of their own wants to take the family on a cross country trip amid a rise in cases it's all bon voyage.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Maksimus54 posted:

Tremek much respect to you, but you probably shouldn't be crossing the nation during these times. It's not the responsible thing to do.

I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't caught more flak for this. This forum has been wildly anti-corona but as soon as one of their own wants to take the family on a cross country trip amid a rise in cases it's all bon voyage.

I think a bunch of us have long since realized once Tremek decides to do something there's no talking him out of it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Maksimus54 posted:

I think you're overreacting. I'm only going out to the grocery and a couple hardware store trips per week. If I needed gas, I'd get gas. I don't think he's putting himself, his family, or the public at any increased risk by moving around, as long as he stays safe and sane.

In getting gas, I use gloves and dispose of them at the pump, he can do the same thing. There's no more chance of going to different stores than there is going to the same one over and over. We have to be careful, but not crazy. There is crazy on both sides of this one.

I just hope his kids aren't doorknob lickers. :ohdear:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The only risk is if they decide to hang around crowds or get in an accident and have to go to the hospital. Other than that it's fine. Probably healthier to go in an RV and go for walks in nature than to sit home and get fat. To be honest, much of the lockdown strategies are not very evidence based neither. I can't stand people who walk around with plastic gloves as soon as they go out and then proceed to never take them off and just use their hands like they would normally, which is as bad (probably even worse because of the false sense of protection). In heatlhcare we use them for specific tasks and then dispose of them as they are useless and just spread contaminants after they are used for that specific task. Much better to wash hands and use hand sanitizer frequently.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My old band got together to do a live stream last night with a bunch of former members.
I joined in super late but still had a blast.

It was good to see and talk to everyone. If there's one good thing to come out of this whole pandemic it's the prevalence and acceptance of the video chat platform.

e: also I'm feeling surprisingly chipper after yesterday. I woke up at the buttcrack of dawn to make Mother's Day preparations for my wife. Then did a bunch of household chores and some yard work, then she and I wrecked a bottle of champagne and I kept on drinking right up until about 2am.
all in all I probably had a half bottle of champagne and a gallon of beer so not too excessive, but I still haven't drank like that in a while so I'm surprised that I don't feel like rear end.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 11, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Maksimus54 posted:

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think a bunch of us have long since realized once Tremek decides to do something there's no talking him out of it.

Also a bunch of us have realized that Tremek is a really good dude who's had more than his fair share of bad luck over the last two years, and doesn't deserve to be dog piled in the usual manner. If you have a disagreement, you can voice it, but don't be a typical internet shithead about it. Not here, and not with him.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motor homes:
I think I would definitely prefer a trailer, given those videos. Second would be a van or cab and chassis conversion, where at least the passenger compartment was designed to offer some protection. Or a motor coach, AKA a bus, but $$$$.

everdave posted:

I just found this on one of my Japanese campers. Dear God where have you been all of my life? Get one of these in 10 too and I can do everything I need on my imports. Is this a thing I was just not aware of?

I think I have an ancient 9/16" version of that. Just the one, somehow, not a set.

stevobob posted:

Shipping containers don't have great structural integrity? Aren't they designed to stack 20 high on rough oceans?

Captain McAllister posted:

Yeah, but he's saying once they're converted into house pieces, they lose their integrity.

They're really only strong on the stacking points, on/near the corners.

meatpimp posted:

The roundy first gen or the angular second gen? I remember Dad shopping back in the early '80s and the original roundy Supra just came out. He was looking at it and decided to wait. I'm glad he did. He ended up getting one of the first second gen cars. That was one of my first "cool car" experiences. The angular design was a huge departure, especially the sport package that he got with the fender flares, chunky wheels and speed. Not fast by today's metrics (in fact, quite slow in comparison), but it was one hell of a car.

I like them both. I almost bought an '81 way back in the late '80s, and now regret not having done so. My wife came equipped with a '78 Celica coupe when I met her, so at least I had that for a while. Wish we'd have kept that, too...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Last weekend doing dishes after meal prep we noticed the sink was draining slow. Tried drano and a snake, cleaned everything we could access under the sink. Got progressively worse during the week. Father-in-law and friend came over today to take a look at it since I'm basically disabled and can't do anything over head. Started at a low point in the plumbing, was clogged near solid. 3ft+ of clog. Cut out most of it, cleaned the rest then fixed the slope issue and put it all back together.

The smell...at least it wasn't toilet.

kastein posted:

I'm just glad I haven't had to fix sewer pipes for any family members in over a year. I need to add to mine a bit but digging the trench will be the hardest part.

I don't want to hear about your plumbing issues.
This was mine last week:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

Also a bunch of us have realized that Tremek is a really good dude who's had more than his fair share of bad luck over the last two years, and doesn't deserve to be dog piled in the usual manner. If you have a disagreement, you can voice it, but don't be a typical internet shithead about it. Not here, and not with him.

Ignore that you know Tremek is great and ask yourself if a nationwide road trip is a super good idea right now. Think about possible complications, logistic/legal/medical. Could you promise your kid(s) would not interact with others while on a trip?

I wish nothing but the best for Tremek, but I think the forum is acting blind towards this because he's such a good dude. That's the last I'll speak to it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

everdave posted:

I just found this on one of my Japanese campers. Dear God where have you been all of my life? Get one of these in 10 too and I can do everything I need on my imports. Is this a thing I was just not aware of?

Seems like the modern version of that is a ratcheting wrench

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will only approve Tremek's trip if he comes to visit me.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

Pulled the trigger on a top of the line Ego self propelled mower today. Battery is charging now.

After watching dozens of youtube reviews the Ego just seemed better engineered and more powerful than any other cordless mower. Cons: it was expensive

Unless you have a postage stamp lawn you'll probably want to get another battery in the same capacity it came with - unless taking a 45 minute to hour long break to wait for the one it came with to recharge isn't a problem. Outside of the wet season (spring through mid-late June) I can usually mow about 40% of my "just shy of an acre, ~75% coverage after my house, detached garage and driveway are taken into account" lawn on a single charge of the 5AH battery my non-self propelled model came with.

Also if you didn't get the new-this-year dual-blade model do yourself a favor and pick up the high-lift blade (Home Depot sells them), the stock blade works OK for mulching but its designed to maximize battery life by not moving as much air, which results in clippings being bagged or discharged clogging the chute.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

meatpimp posted:

I think you're overreacting. I'm only going out to the grocery and a couple hardware store trips per week. If I needed gas, I'd get gas. I don't think he's putting himself, his family, or the public at any increased risk by moving around, as long as he stays safe and sane.

In getting gas, I use gloves and dispose of them at the pump, he can do the same thing. There's no more chance of going to different stores than there is going to the same one over and over. We have to be careful, but not crazy. There is crazy on both sides of this one.

I just hope his kids aren't doorknob lickers. :ohdear:

The difference is that you are staying within your bubble. The problem with RVing right now is that you will travel between areas with high levels of covid-19 and low levels. Rural areas are particularly problematic. They essentially are depending on no one showing up with covid. They have very limited hospital beds, if any, with very few ICU beds. These hospitals tend to be less well funded, so they have fewer vents per cap and less PPE per employee. Rich urbanites fleeing to their second homes is one of the biggest causes of the spread of covid in some areas. Additionally, rural areas don't have the supply chains that rural areas have. You think you had a TP shortage? Many rural areas had it worse. They have fewer trucks coming at lower frequencies and if the store isn't a chain, they don't have the power to get items in short supply. Extra people doesn't help.

People think, well, I won't be interacting with many people. You still are. You go to the gas station (and you will likely go in the gas station as your card likely has a limit of $50-100 to fill at the pump, and even at $1.50/gal, you're going over that to fill a diesel pusher). You will go to the supermarket. And more often. There's not that much storage space in an RV. You'll likely get lazy and use gas station restrooms too. And your kids won't observe social distancing in campgrounds. Due to extra close quarters, you'll get anything they have an vice versa. Remember that if you catch covid at one Pilot, you'l spread it to a clerk at another one, who will spread it to a few truckers, who will spread it to more. The real key is to keep in your bubble. If you go the same safeway every week, you can infect everyone who works and goes there. If you go to a different supermarket every week, you expose way more possible people in 14 days. And due to the limited storage space of even large RVs, he'll be going to the store more.

Here's the thing, it is unlikely Tremek will be Typhoid Mary. The problem is that if enough people think this way, a few of them will. And it is easy to think, well, most people won't do this, and Tremek is a good dude who needs this. The reality is a lot of people are traveling (https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-doctor-returning-from-helping-in-NY-plane-15259851.php). There are full airplanes out there. I see a lot of RVs on the road. Right now, we need to make unnecessary travel socially unacceptable. That is an important method for stopping the spread, particularly to rural, vulnerable areas. This really isn't about the individual right now, it s about the group. South Korea was successful in stopping the spread not just because they had good testing and tracing but because the population was willing to think of the group, not travel, and self-isolate. Even Japan, which has completely half-assed its official response has, in large part kept the spread isolated to certain areas because non-essential travel is seen as a social bad. (There was signifcant spread from Hokkaido after the winter festival, but that was before any real realization of the issue).

I am working from home in my tiny rear end apartment. I would love to go to my parent's house in a rural part of coastal California. However, I know that going there is unfair to the people who live there even though I am coming from an area of low covid incidents. There is no hospital, a small urgent care facility (basically a glorified helicopter pad) that will be completely overwhelmed with any cases, and the supermarket is still often out of a lot of things, not just paper products. If I go there, I will basically stay at home except from truly socially distant biking, driving, and hiking. I will only go the supermarket and the gas station. However, they've only had 1 covid case, which has since recovered. If I go there, there is a non-zero chance I transmit covid, unless the whole house 14 day quarantines after I arrive.

In a month, maybe things will be better and travel will be less problematic, but I certainly wouldn't endorse it now.

edit: Also note that your medical insurance always works less well when you leave your home area. The further you go, the less likely it is in network. Rural hospitals are way less likely to be in network. In the county I used to work, if you lived in certain rural areas, you had to get a much, much more expensive health plan that was still subsidized by the county to make sure you were in network in the one nearby hospital.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 11, 2020

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Geoj posted:

Unless you have a postage stamp lawn you'll probably want to get another battery in the same capacity it came with - unless taking a 45 minute to hour long break to wait for the one it came with to recharge isn't a problem. Outside of the wet season (spring through mid-late June) I can usually mow about 40% of my "just shy of an acre, ~75% coverage after my house, detached garage and driveway are taken into account" lawn on a single charge of the 5AH battery my non-self propelled model came with.

Also if you didn't get the new-this-year dual-blade model do yourself a favor and pick up the high-lift blade (Home Depot sells them), the stock blade works OK for mulching but its designed to maximize battery life by not moving as much air, which results in clippings being bagged or discharged clogging the chute.

I got this years model with the dual blades. First thing I did was swap the lowe blade to the gator style blade as it seems to have a lot more lift. Also ego blades are the sharpest mower blades I've ever seen and I sliced my thumb being careless.

My whole lot is only a quarter of an acre so I'm hoping the single 7.5ah battery will be enough.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Well presented answer and I think I'm guilty of missing the real potential consequences. I'm in a state that's been shut down since March 15th, so I think I'm starting to get a bit complacent, seeing that the early shutdown has limited the spread in this state (well, we'll see if that's true, they're starting random testing with 1200 households, that data should be very interesting).

It's a tough pill to swallow that we should limit ourselves this much, but it makes sense. And I'd really like to hang out at my parents for a bit since they're only a couple miles away... except they're both boomers with pre-existing conditions that would make them more likely to have a bad time.

So I guess that's just where we're at. Smart money says "fully hole up." But there's a mix of need-tos and want-tos that are out and about.

Weird times.

Previa_fun posted:

I got this years model with the dual blades. First thing I did was swap the lowe blade to the gator style blade as it seems to have a lot more lift. Also ego blades are the sharpest mower blades I've ever seen and I sliced my thumb being careless.

My whole lot is only a quarter of an acre so I'm hoping the single 7.5ah battery will be enough.

I've got a 7.5ah battery and it does my .3 acre yard with no issues, under most circumstances/mowing patterns. One thing that's really cool about the mower is that it increases torque when it senses more grass resistance (when it's longer/wet). When it's really spooled up, it sounds like an electric mower. But that also eats battery. I've had a couple times where I've exhausted the 7.5 battery, but I also have a 2.5? from the blower that will do in a pinch for no downtime. The blower is great, too.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Well presented answer and I think I'm guilty of missing the real potential consequences. I'm in a state that's been shut down since March 15th, so I think I'm starting to get a bit complacent, seeing that the early shutdown has limited the spread in this state (well, we'll see if that's true, they're starting random testing with 1200 households, that data should be very interesting).

It's a tough pill to swallow that we should limit ourselves this much, but it makes sense. And I'd really like to hang out at my parents for a bit since they're only a couple miles away... except they're both boomers with pre-existing conditions that would make them more likely to have a bad time.

So I guess that's just where we're at. Smart money says "fully hole up." But there's a mix of need-tos and want-tos that are out and about.

Weird times.

Speaking of shut downs, what's the chicken/beef situation been like for you the last week or so? For some reason I keep finding protein at normal prices despite so many people posting on FB that they can't find poo poo. It's to the point that my tiny deep freeze is totally full of meat and veggies so I'm looking to buy a 15 cubit foot freezer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of shut downs, what's the chicken/beef situation been like for you the last week or so? For some reason I keep finding protein at normal prices despite so many people posting on FB that they can't find poo poo. It's to the point that my tiny deep freeze is totally full of meat and veggies so I'm looking to buy a 15 cubit foot freezer.

Beef seems to be in good supply in hamburger form, just hovering at $3.5/lb. Chicken is super spotty.

Oh, and also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXqMUwyLNAA

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Beef seems to be in good supply in hamburger form, just hovering at $3.5/lb. Chicken is super spotty.

Hmm. Well I hope that doesn't continue to be an issue for you. Do you have Aldi locally? I picked up about 10lbs for $1.89/lb today.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

On NPR, they were saying it is unlikely you'll see prices rise short term because supermarkets are loathe to raise prices of staples quickly. They'll eat the prices. You'll be more likely to see shortages, but if you see any you likely pay what you're paying now. Long term, prices may rise.
Shortages will likely be regional. Your local supermarket is more likely to have shortages as they buy from these bigger packing plants. A real butcher might have fewer shortages because they often buy from smaller local sources. They also often charge quite a bit more (and the meat is higher quality), which will keep people out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

On NPR, they were saying it is unlikely you'll see prices rise short term because supermarkets are loathe to raise prices of staples quickly. They'll eat the prices. You'll be more likely to see shortages, but if you see any you likely pay what you're paying now. Long term, prices may rise.
Shortages will likely be regional. Your local supermarket is more likely to have shortages as they buy from these bigger packing plants. A real butcher might have fewer shortages because they often buy from smaller local sources. They also often charge quite a bit more (and the meat is higher quality), which will keep people out.

That makes sense. I know some friends have posted the only boneless chicken breast they can find is the higher priced "name brand" stuff like Tyson which is generally $3.50/lb or more. But beef prices at Kroger have risen since this began. The same cut and quality that I use for my beef & noodles mix has gone up quite a bit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Well said.
I live in a high second-home density area. I understand the desire to get out of the cities (NY/CT/Boston are the ones near me), and I'd totally do it myself if I lived there. It's been a real drag on our community, which wasn't stocked for summer-levels of population. I'm not leaving notes on cars or vandalizing out of state plates, nor do I condone those actions. I disagree with one community that is refusing to turn the water on at vacation homes (That's complete bullshit). However, I expect the COVID-refugees to quarantine at home with zero public interaction for 2 weeks, and to be respectful at the grocery stores. Instead, the second-home folks are assembling in groups, sending their help to buy out the stores or doing home delivery, going to the hardware stores so they can piddle in their garages, and verbally assaulting 17-year old ice cream store employees. They're providing a lot of fuel for actions against them.

Tremek, I'm sure you'll be smart about things. You certainly deserve to be out of the house, out of your rental, and enjoying life. I just ask that you shop intelligently (stock up on non-perishables, do meal planning, minimize your waste, etc), and treat the places you visit both like they've got the plague and you've got it too. I'd also keep as low a profile as you can with a brand-new camper and $60K truck, there's a lot of assholes who want to express their holier-than-thou attitudes in non-socially-acceptable ways.

Also, please try to minimize any risky activities. The hospital system is already over-stressed, and adding a preventable injury isn't good for anyone. The local hospital group here just furloughed 600 workers this month, which is 10% of the workforce. They're simultaneously buried in patients and going broke.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't think tremeks going to listen to a poll, but honestly a cross country trip is currently a loving terrible idea right now, no matter how neat the truck and trailer are. You're choosing to expose your family to all those idiots who riot in maga hats and shoot dollar store security guards when they're asked to wear a mask. Unless you literally never come into contact with another human you can't control the risk. I sincerely hope nothing bad happens.

E: I just started watching community, does it get better?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 11, 2020

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

taqueso posted:

Seems like the modern version of that is a ratcheting wrench

I have been introduced to these after installing the lift in my Lexus and world altering is the best description I can give them.

I have largely stayed out of the COVID talk because it is a very different thing for everyone in different places. It is a real and terrifying thing for people in places like NY and Chicago etc. Here in the state of Utah it has not been that horrible, in fact it has been far from that. Barely over 500 hospitalized and 67 deaths. That is for a not densely populated state of about 3.5 Mil people. It just has not been a big thing here. We closed everything down nice and early which has definitely helped. The whole idea was the flatten the curve so it didn't overwhelm the health care system. This has definitely worked in my state. The curve was flattened. Closing down was the right move when it started, now we have more data and information. We as a state community have made habitual adjustments, social spacing adjustments and people seem to be ready to accept this and move on. People have been out recreating since this all happened and the numbers haven't really moved. I think people can be informed enough to make their own decisions and can move forward on their own merit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Community hits a really good groove somewhere between season .5 and 1.5, I forget where... it runs strong until the last season, which was weak, imo.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 11, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've now lost 1 friend and 1 cousin to covid. Found out about the cousin late last night/early this morning during my lunch break.

I'm lucky in that the county I lived in has under 400 confirmed cases, but I just moved to one with ~2200 cases. My workplace is in the former, at least, and I'm not really exposed to customers, but we've had at least one confirmed positive case in my store now.

Wouldn't be lying if I said I was thinking of pulling the high risk card, particularly now that our governor overrode all city/county mandates (including face coverings) - I know we're gonna see a big spike in cases over the next 1-2 weeks now that Texas is "open for business". I certainly can pull the high risk card (esp since I already have one accommodation on file, and HR is aware that I have medical issues that make me more susceptible), but I won't get paid if I do.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 11, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It takes a little while to see what they're doing with the characters. I hated it for a few episodes but yeah it gets better. Some characters are intentionally unlikable for comedy's sake so if that's not your bag then you may never like it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Well said. The idea itself is awesome and I fully endorse it. The timing of one-month-out is worse than awful. I'm not gonna get into it anymore than that.
September at the absolute earliest, maybe mid winter 2020 would be a better time line to launch.

sharkytm posted:

Tremek, I'm sure you'll be smart about things. You certainly deserve to be out of the house, out of your rental, and enjoying life. I just ask that you shop intelligently (stock up on non-perishables, do meal planning, minimize your waste, etc), and treat the places you visit both like they've got the plague and you've got it too. I'd also keep as low a profile as you can with a brand-new camper and $60K truck, there's a lot of assholes who want to express their holier-than-thou attitudes in non-socially-acceptable ways.

Also, please try to minimize any risky activities. The hospital system is already over-stressed, and adding a preventable injury isn't good for anyone. The local hospital group here just furloughed 600 workers this month, which is 10% of the workforce. They're simultaneously buried in patients and going broke.

Seconding this too. People are down on their luck and will get desperate. Keep a low profile, blend in with the locals. Auxiliary, get comfortable with a bidet. RV black water systems suck and don't put paper towels or traditional toilet paper down em.
Carry a first-aid kit. Know how to sew sutures and prepare a stint. poo poo happens. Know how to patch you, your loved ones, and your rig back together.

I parked the bike on March 04 and pulled the insurance/reg a few weeks later. Risk management. Plan for the unknown, Both vehicles are brand new and will probably be fine though that does not take in consideration for every one else on the roads. Whatever goes wrong, you are your own support.

I don't think tremeks going to listen to a poll, but honestly a cross country trip is currently a loving terrible idea right now, no matter how neat the truck and trailer are. You're choosing to expose your family to all those idiots who riot in maga hats and shoot dollar store security guards when they're asked to wear a mask. Unless you literally never come into contact with another human you can't control the risk. I sincerely hope nothing bad happens.

This is yet another good point.
I ventured into rural NV late last year and the maga hats made for quite an unwelcoming experience. To the point that I didn't fill the truck up in getting the hell out of town. The truck made it to the next major city with less than 1/8 tank left.

Adding to all of this. Right now most parks are shutting down and or kicking non locals out. Walmart and the like may not be amicable to someone camping for a day or two on their lot given the current pandemic. National parks are shuttered which closes yet another avenue for camping. Out west you have BLM land but like others have said, you have to be very smart about what you pack in and what you pack out. a 38' 5er isn't gonna like unmaintained roads, so that's not really another option anyway.

There's a several good YouTube accounts right now with full timers doing the traveling thing and it is looking pretty grim to the point they're going back to their traditional sticks n' bricks. I highly recommend scrolling through and watching a couple to get a feel for the situation.
(Outliers Overland, You, Me & the RV come to mind)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I enjoyed it at first then stopped watching it after 2 series. When I went back to it a few months later it had lost whatever hold it had on me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have been introduced to these after installing the lift in my Lexus and world altering is the best description I can give them.

I have largely stayed out of the COVID talk because it is a very different thing for everyone in different places. It is a real and terrifying thing for people in places like NY and Chicago etc. Here in the state of Utah it has not been that horrible, in fact it has been far from that. Barely over 500 hospitalized and 67 deaths. That is for a not densely populated state of about 3.5 Mil people. It just has not been a big thing here. We closed everything down nice and early which has definitely helped. The whole idea was the flatten the curve so it didn't overwhelm the health care system. This has definitely worked in my state. The curve was flattened. Closing down was the right move when it started, now we have more data and information. We as a state community have made habitual adjustments, social spacing adjustments and people seem to be ready to accept this and move on. People have been out recreating since this all happened and the numbers haven't really moved. I think people can be informed enough to make their own decisions and can move forward on their own merit.

That sounds like a nice and relatively sane situation. Despite it having been (and continuing to be) a serious problem in my state (MI), we have a bunch of lunatics whining about Their Rights to... I don't know, not wear a mask indoors and try to spread the disease? I don't really understand it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

But I want to go to Fuddruckers.

Muh rightz

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

nm posted:

People think, well, I won't be interacting with many people. You still are. You go to the gas station (and you will likely go in the gas station as your card likely has a limit of $50-100 to fill at the pump, and even at $1.50/gal, you're going over that to fill a diesel pusher). You will go to the supermarket. And more often. There's not that much storage space in an RV. You'll likely get lazy and use gas station restrooms too. And your kids won't observe social distancing in campgrounds. Due to extra close quarters, you'll get anything they have an vice versa. Remember that if you catch covid at one Pilot, you'l spread it to a clerk at another one, who will spread it to a few truckers, who will spread it to more. The real key is to keep in your bubble. If you go the same safeway every week, you can infect everyone who works and goes there. If you go to a different supermarket every week, you expose way more possible people in 14 days. And due to the limited storage space of even large RVs, he'll be going to the store more.

Only one small point I would like to make. Tremeks tow vehicle is gas powered. It won’t hit the card limit right now but will require a stop every couple hours. Carrying gloves is common with an RV since you also carry a hose to drain poo poo tanks that has to be hooked up every time you want to dump. So chances are he can stay safe doing that. The hard part is maneuvering a long rear end trailer hooked up to a long truck to a gas pump. Look at google maps before you stop at the wrong station and have to back out.

Diesel vehicles use truck stops. Pulling in and out is much easier and the pumps let you dispense hundreds of gallons. If you have the right card (Some trucking company lets RVers buy in) you can start the pump without going in. Otherwise most of the time you have to go in to auth and then to sign after you fill. That diesel pusher has a 2 day range, filling isn’t a problem.

Edit: Its TSD logistics for the fuel card. Saves quite a bit per gallon too.

rdb fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 11, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I ordered some sunglasses online today and this was my confirmation email :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

In a month, maybe things will be better and travel will be less problematic, but I certainly wouldn't endorse it now.

All in all a great post that explains the problems well - on this point tho it's safe to say that a months time wont be better in the USA especially with various govts hell bent on killing granny so wealthy assholes don't take an even bigger hit even while the virus is still being widely spread. The idea of doing some cross country travelling is not a good idea this year at all and honestly a couple of you still seem to think this is just a nasty flu. It's not. It's more infectious and more lethal than the 1918 variety without the best hospital care - and even with a milder case it's going to slam you hard.

So just a question - whats the best way to utterly destroy a Subaru Outback?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Beverly Hills Cop it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Some flavour of caterpillar.

Nthing the whole “stay put” thing- it’s worked particularly well for us here in South Australia, we’ve got one active case in the entire state at the moment and we’re beginning to ease restrictions but we’re still keeping the state borders shut and making anyone who comes in park their arse for 14 day’s in quarantine- with police check ins to make sure your doing it.

All our regions which utterly rely on tourism basically said GTFO to tourists too since a lot of the outback ones literally do not have medical services on the ground and have to wait for them to turn up in a Royal Flying Doctors Service aircraft (which coincidently is the best charity on earth to support!)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That sounds like a nice and relatively sane situation. Despite it having been (and continuing to be) a serious problem in my state (MI), we have a bunch of lunatics whining about Their Rights to... I don't know, not wear a mask indoors and try to spread the disease? I don't really understand it.

I think it has been pretty sane. It is like, make the needed adjustments. Don't expect samples at Costco and don't bother bringing your (many) children. In a state that has a prevailing population members of a known church, and to have church straight up cancelled for the foreseeable future it made people go "Well I guess it is pretty serious". That is definitely a contribution in keeping the numbers down, our governor also among the first that cancelled school definitely helped out. I think my state has actually handled it all pretty well. We have gone from "Red" to "Orange" and they are hoping to move to a "Yellow" pretty soon. I am not entirely sure what Yellow means, :piss:? but we are like a week back into a soft re-opening and the numbers haven't spiked.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I ordered some sunglasses online today and this was my confirmation email :v:

This implies that you are definitely going to get laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So just a question - whats the best way to utterly destroy a Subaru Outback?

If it ran I'd recommend this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdHp1lFrnEk

Do you have a really strong type vehicle? Like a lorry?