Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What are people’s favorite romantic movies in the collection? In the Mood for Love notwithstanding, bc I already own that.

All that Heaven Allows and Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Salo!

My real answer would probably be Playtime. Not really a romance-romance but it's one of my favorite onscreen dynamics.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What are people’s favorite romantic movies in the collection? In the Mood for Love notwithstanding, bc I already own that.

Nthing the Before trilogy. Also The Double Life of Véronique, Certified Copy, My Night at Maud's (but it's only available as part of the Six Moral Tales), The New World, Wings of Desire

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost forgot about The Age of Innocence. It's basically Scorsese doing a Max Ophuls film. Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Winona Ryder are all incredible in it. On top of it being shot by Michael Ballhaus and scored by Elmer Bernstein.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Brief Encounter

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

Almost forgot about The Age of Innocence. It's basically Scorsese doing a Max Ophuls film. Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Winona Ryder are all incredible in it. On top of it being shot by Michael Ballhaus and scored by Elmer Bernstein.

How the gently caress have I never seen this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I Fidanzati
Charulata
Lola
Holiday
A Matter of Life and Death
All That Heaven Allows
The New World

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

How the gently caress have I never seen this.

It'll be on the Channel next month, too.

But good god is it a pretty movie:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

No idea when they added it, but The Criterion Channel now has an XBox One app.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

No idea when they added it, but The Criterion Channel now has an XBox One app.

Better late than never, I guess. I still can’t believe it took them this long.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Chungking Express
Before Trilogy
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Women in Love
Cold War
Betty Blue
Blue is the Warmest Color
Certified Copy
Days of Heaven

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 30, 2020

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Comedy option: In the Realm of the Senses

Seriously though, it's not a comedy and you'll probably regret having watched it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Anyone having luck streaming with a VPN? In the UK and really, really want to get a subscription.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I'm in Portugal and I don't use VPN at all to access the channel and stream. All you need to do is find a way to register, because beyond the register phase, there's no geo-blocking or whatever on the website.

The way I did it, and they might have changed this since I registered last year, was by getting the apk for the Criterion Channel app, installing it manually on my phone and register through that. This of course only works on android.

Because the app isn't suppose to exist outside of the US/Canadian Google App stores, it doesn't check for geo location. Via the google app you can also set payments with your Google Play account which accepts paypal so you don't need a credit card from the US/Canada.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Blue is the Warmest Color

I don't know, I have a hard time recommending this to anyone after all the stories about the director's abuse on-set came out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Timby posted:

I don't know, I have a hard time recommending this to anyone after all the stories about the director's abuse on-set came out.

I mean, he's a gently caress, but the actresses are incredible. It's their movie.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Not sure how strict you are on the term romance (and trying not to name what others have said)

Broadcast News
City Lights
Moonrise Kingdom
Punch-Drunk Love

Probably already movies you have seen, but I love all of these.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I don't know that I'd call the Princess Bride a romance film, necessarily, but it is great, and I somehow missed that it got a Criterion release. That is a super easy gift option for a wife who loves that film.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Red posted:

I don't know that I'd call the Princess Bride a romance film, necessarily, but it is great, and I somehow missed that it got a Criterion release. That is a super easy gift option for a wife who loves that film.

It is a really fancy set, got it for my brother a few years ago for Christmas.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Macrame_God posted:

Comedy option: In the Realm of the Senses

Seriously though, it's not a comedy and you'll probably regret having watched it.

Watched this for two straight days on the channel (the second with commentary track on) and was pleasantly surprised how good it is. Probably my favorite of the three Oshima films I've seen (Mr. Lawrence and Gohatto being the other two).

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

fenix down posted:

Brief Encounter

^^^^

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Disharmony posted:

Watched this for two straight days on the channel (the second with commentary track on) and was pleasantly surprised how good it is. Probably my favorite of the three Oshima films I've seen (Mr. Lawrence and Gohatto being the other two).

I liked In the Realm of the Senses a lot, too.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Man seeing the xbox app, what holds up a ps4 app? not that I haven’t already given up and worked around it

e: ah, thats right, the vimeo stuff

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 2, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The 1936 Show Boat is fantastic. I'm not even a musicals person, but I loved this. Directed by James Whale!

The Blu-ray looks gorgeous, too. Per the booklet, seems that they used a new fine-grain positive made from the camera negative.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i wish there was a criterion release of the mirror by tarkovsky

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched Destry Rides Again. One of the most fun westerns I've seen. Funny, both James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich are awesome. Plus, Blazing Saddles obviously took a ton of inspiration from this. The Criterion Blu looks amazing, like a brand new 30s film.

ham_sanitizer posted:

i wish there was a criterion release of the mirror by tarkovsky

It's probably coming before the end of the year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

It's probably coming before the end of the year.

Thank god.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Two unrelated questions that seem like could get answered itt:

-Easy Riders Raging Bulls vs Decade Under the Influence: is there a clear better one?

-Can anyone find a picture of Paul Bartel before he went bald

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, the following Blu-ray releases are listed as "currently unavailable" on Criterion's website, which usually means they're between pressings:

By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volumes 1 and 2
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (initial dual format release OOP)
The Essential Jacques Demy (probably being replaced with a Blu-only edition like the UK edition)
The Qatsi Trilogy

Salo
In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-Wai box set coming soon)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
El Norte
Crumb
Repo Man
House
King of the Hill (Dual Format)
A Hard Day's Night (Dual Format)
Eraserhead
Mulholland Dr.
The New World
Dr. Strangelove

Most of these have digipak packaging, which probably explains the delay.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Ingmar terdman posted:

-Easy Riders Raging Bulls vs Decade Under the Influence: is there a clear better one?

Can't talk for the Easy Riders Raging Bulls doco, but I've read the book a few times. It's good, if somewhat tabloid-y. Can't imagine the doco is much different.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Just ordered the Grand Budapest Hotel. Are the special features worth it?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Pennebaker's documentary of the grueling recording process for Sondheim's Company is apparently getting a Criterion release!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope it includes the Documentary Now! parody

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If you're thinking of movies to watch before they leave Criterion Channel, check out The Juniper Tree. It's an early predecessor of the 2010s wave of "family drama with folk horror trappings" a la The Witch or Hereditary. It has a much more placid tone than those movies, though. It has gorgeous black and white landscape cinematography, and some compelling performances from Bjork and the other much more obscure Icelandic actors.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching through Celine Sciamma's films on Criterion Channel, which is really the only easy way to watch them in the US.

Tomboy is great and leaves this month. I highly recommend it.

Water Lilies was an impressive debut film. It's crazy how emotionally complex it is compared to her later films.

It's interesting how, at 4 films, it's already to see that her first three films are kinda like a cohesive collection, and she's onto something new with Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

Still need to check out Girlhood.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

pospysyl posted:

If you're thinking of movies to watch before they leave Criterion Channel, check out The Juniper Tree. It's an early predecessor of the 2010s wave of "family drama with folk horror trappings" a la The Witch or Hereditary. It has a much more placid tone than those movies, though. It has gorgeous black and white landscape cinematography, and some compelling performances from Bjork and the other much more obscure Icelandic actors.

Oh yes, I watched that last month, it's really good, and it 100% reminded me of The Witch, only more ethereal and mysterious. I love how they communicate visually how she often can't entirely make out what she sees in her visions, particularly that shot through the window. Definitely worth watching.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1259891604367839242

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Really excited for this. I've wanted to see more Varda (only Cleo so far and a few shorts). With the Bergman set, I had only seen four out of the 39 films and I finished the box as a die-hard fan. I know it'll be the same with this. And we still have normal announcements by the end of the week, hopefully.

I'll probably be wrong, but this probably means Wong Kar-Wai for October and Fellini for November.

(And it wouldn't surprise me if they had the Blu-only reprint of The Essential Jacques Demy announced for August as well)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I feel like Varda's work has done nothing but age gracefully. The benefit of hindsight has demonstrated just how far ahead she was, and is, of most everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
They are killing it with these box sets, but that doesn't mean I can afford them.