Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fact that classes and class changes are, like, a thing that has some sort of almost mystical significance in-universe is hilarious to me and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The characters just have very strong class consciousness :ussr:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I haven’t played much with the English VA, but in Japanese, when Kevin gets a level he sometimes yells out, “I leveled up!” Now, as far as I know according to my terrible Japanese, people do sometimes say “level up” outside the context of RPGs, but I still find it really funny.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think the balloon airship on the Nevarl side is probably goofier than the eagles carrying the beastmen. Like, it's like they heard the word "airship" and thought oh, I know exactly how to do that!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I feel like I can defeat ANY ENEMY!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My potential is LIMITLESS!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
That's it? Pfffhaaaah! What a joke!

E!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Duran being hyped for a Class 4 is straight up Goku trying for Super Saiyan God.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My potential is LIMITLESS!

Make no mistake.......I’m stronger now. :smug:

(Why are all my favorite lines the ones that sound like they should be accompanied by a :smug:?)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So can anyone help me in deciding on classes for Angela (main), Duran and Hawkeye? I feel like I didn't do well on synergy but I'm too far into the game to restart. I'm thinking of going Light/Light with Angela for the Lucent Beam spam that I hear is wonderful. Since I have no healer should I go Liege for Duran? His damage will suck but he can tank too I guess. Hawkeye I was thinking Ninja Master for some debuffs for Angela and more magic damage. Does that sound decent?

I kinda wish I had gone Kevin instead of Duran but oh well, next run I'm definitely incorporating Kevin.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I finished with Riesz, Hawkeye and Charlotte and is now starting a new play-trough with Duran, Kevin and Angela. Apparently humans were lovely against the beastmen. I'm thinking of al the nations in this game and I'm drawing a blank on who would discriminate against them. The snowy one is the most likely candidate if we assume that even unmindcontrolled, they aren't as goody goody as most of the rest. Come to think of it, the beastmen are the biggest assholes without mind controll.

Anyway, I think this remake has merits, but it's also still held back by trying to be faithful to the original. A lot of elements, like Riesz stat up and stat down +near infinite healing, seems more geared towards a battle system based on getting better numbers than the enemies rather than an action game. Heck, the whole skill system seem out of sync with the action battles. There was very little they could do with the story as well, individual scenes can be improved, but not the overall storyline.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

So can anyone help me in deciding on classes for Angela (main), Duran and Hawkeye? I feel like I didn't do well on synergy but I'm too far into the game to restart. I'm thinking of going Light/Light with Angela for the Lucent Beam spam that I hear is wonderful. Since I have no healer should I go Liege for Duran? His damage will suck but he can tank too I guess. Hawkeye I was thinking Ninja Master for some debuffs for Angela and more magic damage. Does that sound decent?

I actually went Grand Diviner Angela, Liege Duran & Nightblade Hawkeye, which is exactly what you’re looking at.

I mean, I was definitely able to beat the game with that team no problem (on Hard difficulty) and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t use the crap out of Duran’s multiheal. I know items are available and plentiful but c’mon y’all, stocking items is annoying and you know it!

The only thing that felt a little superfluous to me was all of Hawkeye’s spells. Angela was more than capable of wiping enemies off the map with magic and I didn’t really notice a ton of benefit from the secondary effects of Hawkeyes attacks (debuffs, poison, max Hp down) but I will admit that I did quite enjoy the 10% instakill chance, way more than I thought I would.

If I were to do it again I might have tried DL Hawkeye instead just to try something different. But I loved Angela’s LL CS3 for clearing out mobs and Duran’s multiheals so I probably wouldn’t have changed those.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

timp posted:

I actually went Grand Diviner Angela, Liege Duran & Nightblade Hawkeye, which is exactly what you’re looking at.

I mean, I was definitely able to beat the game with that team no problem (on Hard difficulty) and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t use the crap out of Duran’s multiheal. I know items are available and plentiful but c’mon y’all, stocking items is annoying and you know it!

The only thing that felt a little superfluous to me was all of Hawkeye’s spells. Angela was more than capable of wiping enemies off the map with magic and I didn’t really notice a ton of benefit from the secondary effects of Hawkeyes attacks (debuffs, poison, max Hp down) but I will admit that I did quite enjoy the 10% instakill chance, way more than I thought I would.

If I were to do it again I might have tried DL Hawkeye instead just to try something different. But I loved Angela’s LL CS3 for clearing out mobs and Duran’s multiheals so I probably wouldn’t have changed those.

Hmmmm! Now you've got me torn between Ninja Master and Nightblade. Appreciate the thoughts on the rest though, I think I will go Liege after all then and just use Angela to destroy things. Maybe next run I'll do Edelfrei, Fatal Fist and whatever for Charlotte or Riesz.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, it's kind of hard to take "beastman discrimination" very seriously when apparently all beastmen are built like The Rock even before they turn into a werewolf.

Especially hard when they apparently decided to butcher everybody in Astoria so that they could have better self-esteem.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The humans persecuted the beastmen via rudimentary tricks, like boxes held up by sticks baited with a piece of meat.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

The Gunslinger posted:

I kinda wish I had gone Kevin instead of Duran but oh well, next run I'm definitely incorporating Kevin.

Angela LL vs LD is about mobs vs bosses. LL gets bonus against mobs, has a more reliable damage bonus that scales lower (so, better for short fights), and regen MP at the end of each fight. LD Angela gets a bonus against bosses, has a scaleable damage bonus on repeat casting, and regen MP when she gets to low life.

DL Angela is about debuffs (not a good idea, you have Hawkeye already), while DD Angela is just pure power, and works well with Liege Duran.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr. Locke posted:

List of bosses

Most of those when you're attacking with Kevin he hits all the bits anyway. Lightgazer is an exception and a few others, but I still felt a shitload more powerful killed the baddies much faster as Kevin.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Alxprit posted:

I think the balloon airship on the Nevarl side is probably goofier than the eagles carrying the beastmen. Like, it's like they heard the word "airship" and thought oh, I know exactly how to do that!

The part that makes Nevarl's airship so funny to me isn't even the balloons themselves, it's the way that the ship bounces up and down from them like it's attached by bungie cords.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Defiance Industries posted:

The part that makes Nevarl's airship so funny to me isn't even the balloons themselves, it's the way that the ship bounces up and down from them like it's attached by bungie cords.

And it's faithful to the source material.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I like how Ferolia sends like 4-5 guys against two ships. That's probably all they need though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

And it's faithful to the source material.

Haha I never played the original game, that's great.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

New Game + keeps all your old character levels.
That's how the first NG+ worked in Chrono Trigger, but I wanted to keep just the cactus and the chain abilities, not everything else.

Standard new game it is then, the game is not particularly hard anyways. I'll do a Cawlotte Kevin Hawkeye playthrough off the NG+ savefile as third.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alxprit posted:

OTOH, the Altenish airship is literally a Protoss carrier.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It’s a huge discrepancy, for sure. Made funnier when you’re on the Kevin/Charlotte path, as the wizards with space age magitek and the demonic ninjas get beaten in by eagles carrying martial artist werewolves lead by a dead clown marionette.

Just goes to show what you get when you’re lazy and take a boat!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

gandlethorpe posted:

The humans persecuted the beastmen via rudimentary tricks, like boxes held up by sticks baited with a piece of meat.
More like persecuted with clothing. 'Wear a shirt and some proper pants you goobs!'
Then they had the audacity to charge them for more clothing after they transformed and ripped the shirts and pants to shreds.

That's why every beastman who transforms regularly wears a cape and poofy pants. :v:

Mr. Locke posted:

Where melee damage makes up some of the difference is from soaking buffs. Sabers, buffs, debuffs can all help close the gap... but if the time spent setting those up were just spend casting damage spells instead from Angela, Hawkeye, or Dark Charlotte, then normal enemies might already be dead, while even with those buffs the melee punchers can't keep up on bosses that have multiple parts.
The other thing that Melee has over spellcasters is more access to direct STR/ATK buffs, namely Attacker & Attacker II. As far as I've seen there are no ways to buff your INT/M Atk directly other than Angela's New Game + skill. All of the big multipliers are on skills that everyone gets benefit out of anyway, with magic's main gimmick being a chaincasting buff.

The melee dudes don't need buffs to own random mobs.

Also the area where Angela wins the most is Love Typhoon being one of the best CS's in the game :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So I have beaten the game, and started a NG+ with the three other characters I haven’t played with yet. This remake did a remarkable job of feeling light and fresh while staying shockingly loyal to the SNES version. It didn’t do anything really new in terms of ARPG gameplay, but it nailed what it did with a good amount of polish! I really enjoyed how fast the fights feel, especially compared to the original. Not having to stop everything for a spell, to level up, or get your loot went a long way to keep me playing through. Hell, talking about it had me wanting to jump back in to my NG+.

I’m blown away at how LITTLE about the script or character design was changed during the upgrade. In fact the only thing I can think of that stands out as radically different is the Tomatomen, which I get 100% and kinda love the new Groucho Marx look.

One thing about the remake that caught me off guard was how much I wound up not liking Riesz in this version. She was easily my favourite character when I played it as a teen, yet this time around I found her just so painfully dull compared to Kevin and Angela. My best guess as to why is how the script works as read versus as heard; Angela and Kevin have a lot more for the VA to work with as characters to make a stand out take on a line, whereas Riesz’s Pure, Stoic Maiden Archetype of the 90s kind of demands a relatively flat read. Plus there’s only so much you can do with a line like “Victory is easy with reliable companions!” Seriously, my wife burst out laughing the first time she heard that one.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

i am tim! posted:

One thing about the remake that caught me off guard was how much I wound up not liking Riesz in this version. She was easily my favourite character when I played it as a teen, yet this time around I found her just so painfully dull compared to Kevin and Angela. My best guess as to why is how the script works as read versus as heard; Angela and Kevin have a lot more for the VA to work with as characters to make a stand out take on a line, whereas Riesz’s Pure, Stoic Maiden Archetype of the 90s kind of demands a relatively flat read. Plus there’s only so much you can do with a line like “Victory is easy with reliable companions!” Seriously, my wife burst out laughing the first time she heard that one.

She was my fave in the original as well. My charitable interpretation is that perhaps she was meant to have an archaic and formal way of speaking that was supposed to be played for laughs. She rarely if ever uses contractions, which is a dead giveaway for that archetype. The script as written and the actress's monotone kinda kills a good impression of that, though.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Not a Children posted:

She was my fave in the original as well. My charitable interpretation is that perhaps she was meant to have an archaic and formal way of speaking that was supposed to be played for laughs. She rarely if ever uses contractions, which is a dead giveaway for that archetype. The script as written and the actress's monotone kinda kills a good impression of that, though.

Yeah count me in as another one whose favorite in the original was Reisz but found her to be very dull in the remake. Even though I selected her as the main character in the original I just started using Kevin all of the time after a certain point. Looking forward to replaying the game with Angela

There should be a New Game+ option that just carries over nothing but ??? Seeds.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Speaking of ???? seeds carrying over to NG+, it seems that their rolls are decided twice; once when you start the NG+ and again when you class change. I just went through 31 ??? seeds and got like 20 items for Hawkeye's D/L and 4 D/D, 2 for Riesz L/L and 3 L/D, and only 2 D/D items for Charlotte. I tried opening them individually and in bulk but they seemed to be fixed. The opening 6 ??? seeds at once for no duplicates seems to only work for fresh dropped seeds, or only on your first playthrough.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

i am tim! posted:

Somehow I remember her having this shy finger twiddling sprite animation she'd use pretty often at plot points, but didn't reflect in the dialog. So you'd have this freshly orphaned young girl trying to save her brother that's clearly projecting how worried and unsure she is while still pushing forward and putting on a brave face, reluctant to ask for help but grateful and surprised to get it.

I feel like I should go replay the original version at some point since it's been so long and I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting false memories. I don't see this particular animation on the sprites page I just checked, but it may be incomplete since it's missing some other animations I remember loving but didn't get reflected in the remake (Riesz's headband wings being squishy things she'd idly paw at like a cat cleaning behind its ears and Charlotte/Carly rocking back and forth on her tippy toes when trying to talk to an adult face to face).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Charlotte was literally just a giant head with feet in the original.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Riesz really feels like you're not picking her to play as, but to get those buff/debuff spells before you ignore the gently caress out of her forever (unless you need to use one of her class strikes). Of her four possible class paths, only Dragon Master needs to be piloted if you want peak performance; her other spells you can just access the Ring Menu to use.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Not a Children posted:

It's no coincidence her best lines are when she gets to drop that method of speaking. Namely by being too panicked/emotional to keep it up :v:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Folt The Bolt posted:

Riesz really feels like you're not picking her to play as, but to get those buff/debuff spells before you ignore the gently caress out of her forever (unless you need to use one of her class strikes). Of her four possible class paths, only Dragon Master needs to be piloted if you want peak performance; her other spells you can just access the Ring Menu to use.

Yeah, I wish it were more possible to make a more active play style on Vanadys at least, so then you have two support, passive classes and two more active hybrids.

When do people find Angela starts to get really overpowered? I just finished the ghost ship and her spells are very strong, but not really sustainable even with the cost reduction power and Victory MP Boost. She tears through bosses quickly, but spending so much on walnuts makes it harder to upgrade my gear. Overall I feel she’s still weaker than melee characters at this point and more of a hassle to play.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Yeah, I wish it were more possible to make a more active play style on Vanadys at least, so then you have two support, passive classes and two more active hybrids.

When do people find Angela starts to get really overpowered? I just finished the ghost ship and her spells are very strong, but not really sustainable even with the cost reduction power and Victory MP Boost. She tears through bosses quickly, but spending so much on walnuts makes it harder to upgrade my gear. Overall I feel she’s still weaker than melee characters at this point and more of a hassle to play.

Starts to get strong once you unlock lucent beam, gets overpowered once you get later game abilities and can cast it without worrying about mana. Spend a few points in strength early on just to get the mana restoration on power attacks, if you equip both of them at once it helps a lot with mana sustain.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What disappoints me most is that Riesz in most of her classes are geared towards the physical side of things damage-wise (with Dragon Master being somewhat of an exception because that gives Riesz the ability to gain CS from using Jormungandr to more frequently use one of her Class Strikes), but her normal moveset is kinda garbage when it comes to her charge and her light/early heavy attacks and the AI isn't especially proficient in handling her spell list so the best way to play her most of the time is to set AI to not use her moves at all, not use her class strikes at all (until you get the Lil' Cactus chain ability), and just let her CPU unga bunga enemies and either go through the Ring Menu to use her magic, or switch to her if you want to use one of her class strikes or summon spell.

I think what really gets me with Riesz in particular is that I think all the other characters are just generally better at DPSing in more than one class, and most also have more than one class where they're actually fun to use when you pilot them.

As for the other paragraph, it's around the time you can get the postgame chain abilities or the Crimzon Wizard Chain Ability... or if you're able to get the Black Rabite Chain Ability, though Angela's AoE and high damage magic is more than sufficient to carry an underequipped team from the first Class Change and onward.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

There is a few different thresholds for Angela power: MP ones to be able to cast without issues, spell ones to be able to actually be OP with the spells, and skill ones to scale the damage.

MP ones you deal with early on mostly with Reclaim I/II, the 'use life as well as mana to cast spell for cheaper cast' skill, the L/L or L/D locked skills, the various reclaim skills, and late game you just don't care because you have really OP mana stuff.

Spell wise I think the first L class up is better than first D one, but the biggest difference begins when she gets access to the + version of T2 spells for L side, or Ancient Curse with Magus.

Skills to scale damage really depends on the side you are going for, but basically all Angelas are OP there (Though D/L maybe a bit less?).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Arkeus posted:

There is a few different thresholds for Angela power: MP ones to be able to cast without issues, spell ones to be able to actually be OP with the spells, and skill ones to scale the damage.

MP ones you deal with early on mostly with Reclaim I/II, the 'use life as well as mana to cast spell for cheaper cast' skill, the L/L or L/D locked skills, the various reclaim skills, and late game you just don't care because you have really OP mana stuff.

Spell wise I think the first L class up is better than first D one, but the biggest difference begins when she gets access to the + version of T2 spells for L side, or Ancient Curse with Magus.

Skills to scale damage really depends on the side you are going for, but basically all Angelas are OP there (Though D/L maybe a bit less?).

For D/L, your endgame essentially consists of the T3 spells to take advantage of elemental weaknesses if applicable (or using Stone Cloud to petrify mooks for instant kill) and using Dark Force+ as your generalist bread-and-butter DPS spell and AoE clearer. It's good enough to carry you all the way through the game because Dark immune enemies are often coupled with enemies that Dark Force+ hits for neutral or effective damage and the latter can often be dealt with through Stone Cloud, only really losing it's luster when you get to the postgame stuff where Class 4 with Light!Lucent Beam or Dark!Ancient Curse with the abilities from D/D or the Light paths and all the OP bonus boss/postgame chain abilities as well as classes like Necro!Charlotte or Class 4 Hawkeye severely outclass D/L Angela in anything she can do.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I went away from the game liking Reisz more and Angela less because of their voices. Angela is kind of an annoying American stereoype, sorry Angela.
Although what she says most of the time is fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I loved Angela’s Valley Sorceress vibe. It’s magical!