Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Warbreaker wasn't good per sé but it was interesting and I really wanna know how it played out and how nightblood ended up where he did. Same thing really with Elantris, I think they both should get sequels, now that he is a lot better as a writer to boot.

Warbreaker is getting a sequel, eventually. It's awhile off, which normally would mean 20 years from now but this is Sanderson so he's probably going to get bored during quarantine one day and announce it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I think, were he to write it now, he wouldn’t go with the exact numbers for how many breaths each thing took. He’d probably just say it took an order of magnitude more breaths than anything else had ever taken to awaken Nightblood.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Subvisual Haze posted:

Those breaths are in a way granting temporary and specific sentience to the awakened object.

I think the interesting question to explore in the potential sequels is what happens if those breaths are just left/forgotten in the awakened object (especially if the awakener in question is killed). Are various mundane objects about to develop autonomy and sentience?

Nightblood is pretty permanent. And it's been foreshadowed that the Lifeless are more sentient/aware than people think they are, see Clod.

There's a WoB somewhere that when enough Investiture collects together, it does start gaining sentience. See spren.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yep, but Nightblood was a pretty singular case requiring an enormous amount of breaths and given a clear directive. So theoretically he's one of a kind (or so the universe prays).

Nightblood isn't. See OB Azure/Vivenna's sword, I can't wait to find out what the Command was for that one!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Daric posted:

I think, were he to write it now, he wouldn’t go with the exact numbers for how many breaths each thing took. He’d probably just say it took an order of magnitude more breaths than anything else had ever taken to awaken Nightblood.

It definitely seems weird there's a set number like a switch is flipped, it seems like there should be a range

or a spectrum :v:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

It definitely seems weird there's a set number like a switch is flipped, it seems like there should be a range

or a spectrum :v:

I think there's a WoB saying that the breaths required for each Heightening aren't as as black and white as described in Warbreaker--the abilities of each heightening should begin to manifest before you reach the heightening itself. Also complicating things is the fact that not all breaths are equal--I recall at least one mention of this in Warbreaker when Siri is described as having a "strong" breath. One thing I'm not sure about is whether or not breaths are pooled within the Awakener or continue to exist as distinct chunks of investiture (which only really matters when it comes to how many breaths it takes to Awaken things, depending on individual breath strength).

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i feel like none of that really exists in text

which at least means he's reworking the system to have some more freedom

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Patware posted:

yeah it's the one totally foreign to Roshar system he's going to have to update relatively soon, between Vivenna and whatever nonsense Vasher is doing to convert stormlight to breaths

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
One thing I've been curious about is whether or not a Drab on Nalthis is just a regular person on most other cosmere planets? I assume so as the whole basis of the magic system there is based on Endowment, so I assume the breath is a type of built in "upgrade" on the average cosmere human who happens to be born on Nalthis. It seems more like Breath is a just generic buff to every aspect of a person, so I figure a Drab feels lesser simply because they go from the 150% they usually run on with a Breath, into a regular 100% while lacking it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm curious to see if Nightblood's vampiric qualities means it can kill something like the Unmade or if they contain so much power that Nightblood would end up being 'full' and go dormant before the Unmade is drained to death.

I assume stabbing a Shard like Odium would either do nothing or cause Nightblood overload and go off like a thermonuclear warhead.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

TGG posted:

One thing I've been curious about is whether or not a Drab on Nalthis is just a regular person on most other cosmere planets? I assume so as the whole basis of the magic system there is based on Endowment, so I assume the breath is a type of built in "upgrade" on the average cosmere human who happens to be born on Nalthis. It seems more like Breath is a just generic buff to every aspect of a person, so I figure a Drab feels lesser simply because they go from the 150% they usually run on with a Breath, into a regular 100% while lacking it.

Nope, there's been confirmation that a Drab is actually missing something a bit more, like they're 90% or whatever.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm curious to see if Nightblood's vampiric qualities means it can kill something like the Unmade or if they contain so much power that Nightblood would end up being 'full' and go dormant before the Unmade is drained to death.

I assume stabbing a Shard like Odium would either do nothing or cause Nightblood overload and go off like a thermonuclear warhead.

I'd bet on yes, Nightblood can perma kill an Unmade. Kaladin and Syl killed a voidspren so I'm sure it's possible.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

Nightblood isn't. See OB Azure/Vivenna's sword, I can't wait to find out what the Command was for that one!

That specifically has been made with less breaths, and presumably a better command. It's not half as powerful as Nightblood, but doesn't have it's disadvantages, either. It's not even clear if it's even sentient, I believe it isn't.

By the way, you can view the UK cover for Rhythm of War here: https://www.tor.com/2020/04/17/check-out-the-uk-cover-for-brandon-sandersons-rhythm-of-war/

I'm not entirely sure who that is on the cover. Most likely Jasnah or Shallan? Perhaps not big breasted enough to be Jasnah, so Shallan? What was the description of Pattern as a shardblade again? I seem to remember he was smaller than most shardblades, and while this is still a big sword, it's not as massive as some other depictions of shardblades.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 7, 2020

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

It's not even clear if it's even sentient, I believe it isn't.

Oh, I think it is - OB:

“Draw her carefully,” Azure said to Borea, the first mate, as Shallan approached. “Don’t pull her out all the way—she doesn’t know you.”

Borea wore a uniform like the captain’s, all stiff and no-nonsense. She undid a small latch on the Shardblade, eased it from its sheath a half inch, then drew in a sharp breath. “It … tingles.” “She’s investigating you,” Azure said.

I don't think we can assume that less breaths were used either!

Torrannor posted:

By the way, you can view the UK cover for Rythm of War here: https://www.tor.com/2020/04/17/check-out-the-uk-cover-for-brandon-sandersons-rhythm-of-war/

I'm not entirely sure who that is on the cover. Most likely Jasnah or Shallan? Perhaps not big breasted enough to be Jasnah, so Shallan? What was the description of Pattern as a shardblade again? I seem to remember he was smaller than most shardblades, and while this is still a big sword, it's not as massive as some other depictions of shardblades.

I think it's Shallan.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You guys don't get the awesome Whelan cover art? That sucks.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Cover: It's Azure, that's the sword you're all discussing

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Daric posted:

Oh gently caress, I think you're right.

That would be... startling. Very unexpected. And probably amazing. I'll have to reread Oathbringer for the description of Azure's sword when I get home. The cloth on the handle is the giveaway, right? I dimly remember Azure's sword being wrapped in a cloth as well. And that person doesn't cover her safehand if I see correctly, so it wouldn't be Shallan anyway.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 29, 2020

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Daric posted:

Torrannor posted:

Oh gently caress, I think you're right.

That would be... startling. Very unexpected. And probably amazing. I'll have to reread Oathbringer for the description of Azure's sword when I get home. The cloth on the handle is the giveaway, right? I dimly remember Azure's sword being wrapped in a cloth as well. And that person doesn't cover her safehand if I see correctly, so it wouldn't be Shallan anyway.

Nope!

Azure is described as having short cropped hair and wearing a glove. Royal Locks notwithstanding, Azure never changes its length, she only relaxes her control over her hair color. And the Shardbearer is dressed in a havah. The hilt of the sword is not cloth wrapped, that's the longer left sleeve on the havah covering the safehand.

Oathbringer posted:

The highmarshal was of average height for an Alethi woman, maybe just under, and wore her hair straight and short, reaching halfway down her cheeks.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
You’re right, now I think it’s Shallan

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Its Shallan in her Radiant persona.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That cloth is the long-rear end sleeve that covers her safe hand, it's not part of the sword.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's a good comment about how Azure uses her cloak over her hand, probably to hide the BioChromatic effect of her sword

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
And the use of awakened cloth in combat. IIRC she does that too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Patware posted:

there's that time vasher does that weird poo poo and steal's a kid's memories in WB

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

there's that time vasher does that weird poo poo and steal's a kid's memories in WB

Looking back at that scene, i think he had her remove her own memories

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Sanderson mention that he will be doing a Warbreaker sequel someday on his last livestream, knows who is in it and what it's about, and that he also plans to release the working chapters as he completes them like he did for Warbreaker 1.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Will that turn this thread into a solid wall of spoiler tags for a year?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

literally any book coming out causes that

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

Will that turn this thread into a solid wall of spoiler tags for a year?

I think if it's being live released it should be treated basically the same as being serialized

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.tor.com/2020/05/01/sign...Xy9YBRgSDzz8jME

free Way of Kings ebook

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
While WB wasn't the best book, its color magic system is my favorite Brandon has done.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Thanks. Finally got to start downloading this, I was hitting cloudflare errors all morning. Now it's very, very slowly downloading lol

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

insider posted:

While WB wasn't the best book, its color magic system is my favorite Brandon has done.

The magic system was indeed very cool and interesting. My only issue with WB is its abrupt ending.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WB holds a special place in my heart because the sibling stuff really resonates with me. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing though and would get teary-eyed even if it were written terribly.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I thought warbreaker was fantastic and I’m happy we are seeing its characters cross over first. But gimme that twinborn in Roshar please. Or maybe someone with the hands of mourning?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Wrapped up Oathbringer last night. I'm sure people are sick of first time reader posts, so I'll keep it brief and just say it was my favorite Stormlight book so far. (I don't know what the spoiler policy is, so going to black out the next bit just in case) Lots of good twists and cute character moments. I especially love the Dalinar-Navani-Jasnah family dynamic and wish we got more of it. Szeth's interactions with his killer sword and Lift were also a lot of fun. My only quibble was with the love triangle, but what can you do. At first I was annoyed that Syl of all people was gassing Kaladin up to go break up his friends' betrothal, but in the end I'm just disappointed we didn't at least get a dishy confrontation out of it.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 11, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Randallteal posted:

I'm sure people are sick of first time reader posts

Hell no, I always love reading people's first impressions of Sanderson books :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sab669 posted:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Started Edgedancer today and it's fun. Tho been a bit since the last main series book so I have naturally forgotten a lot of the details. This Darkness fellow chasing Lift for example, is a Skybreaker and I have zero recollection of this order, or for that matter just how many "evil" Shardbearers there are at this point.

But who cares, Lift is a joy to watch as she idiots her way around the place and carries on a Traditional Sanderson Snappy Dialogue with her spren. Is it high art? no, but it is entertaining and makes me smile and I need that right now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

smertrioslol posted:

I thought warbreaker was fantastic and I’m happy we are seeing its characters cross over first. But gimme that twinborn in Roshar please. Or maybe someone with the hands of mourning?

I'd be stunned if nobody from the Waxx and Wayne series ends up in Stormlight since those two timelines overlap. There could be kandra already present and it's unlikely anyone would know unless kandra can't be worldhoppers due to the nature of what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bitprophet posted:

Started Edgedancer today and it's fun. Tho been a bit since the last main series book so I have naturally forgotten a lot of the details. This Darkness fellow chasing Lift for example, is a Skybreaker and I have zero recollection of this order, or for that matter just how many "evil" Shardbearers there are at this point.

i think edgedancer is pretty much the first time we spend any real time with a Skybreaker (except when he briefly appears at the very end of the previous book to resurrect szeth) so you're not really forgetting anything

speaking of immortal crazy people, i wonder if, since book 4 is going to have some big Bondsmith-related stuff with the Sibling and Urithiru, we're going to learn more about what the gently caress is going on with Ishar, patron of the order and guy who is personally responsible for a lot of poo poo going on rn

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 11, 2020