Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

anakha posted:

Were you able to steal the weapon from the final Chapter 11 boss? It's a unique missable weapon and stealing it is the only way to get it.

I was! Surprised it only took me one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I made it to chapter 9 before realizing I made a big mistake with SP.

For some reason I got it into my head that the more SP you spent on weapons upgrades the less MP you would have in battle. Then I realized one of the upgrades increases your MP.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

So if I want to get all the Butterfinger DLC, I need to buy 10 candy bars on 5 separate purchases of two candy bars each?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
after you beat Hell House, does the crowd always sing the fanfare song and Cloud and Aerith high five? I swear I didn't see that in normal mode...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Moola posted:

after you beat Hell House, does the crowd always sing the fanfare song and Cloud and Aerith high five? I swear I didn't see that in normal mode...

They always do.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I must have passed out, everything about that fight was a blur of emotion the first time through

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

Eligor has the Bladed Staff, and stealing it from this boss is the only way to obtain it.

That's a nice reference to the original, too, where Eligor is a random encounter and you can steal the Striking Staff from him (which looks a lot like the Bladed Staff in FF7R). And if you don't encounter him or steal it, you can't get it until a while after you leave Midgar.

I almost wish they'd done the same thing with the Hardedge but they made all of Cloud's weapons really hard to miss so I guess it makes sense that one would be, too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What really burned my rear end about that fight is I remembered to steal the first time, but then I died, and I forgot to steal the next time when I actually beat the fight. gently caress me, right?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Baggot posted:

So if I want to get all the Butterfinger DLC, I need to buy 10 candy bars on 5 separate purchases of two candy bars each?

You can buy them all in one purchase if you want. I can't remember if you have to buy them in even-numbered pairs (like if buying 3 only gives you credit for 2), but how many purchases doesn't matter.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Thanks! I’m about to head out to buy a stupid amount of candy. If it’s all on one receipt, do I have to submit the same receipt 5 times?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nope, just once should do it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Harrow posted:

That's a nice reference to the original, too, where Eligor is a random encounter and you can steal the Striking Staff from him (which looks a lot like the Bladed Staff in FF7R). And if you don't encounter him or steal it, you can't get it until a while after you leave Midgar.

I almost wish they'd done the same thing with the Hardedge but they made all of Cloud's weapons really hard to miss so I guess it makes sense that one would be, too.

Hardedge is :pwn: it's literally only available in 1 area during a very specific time and if you proceed just one story beat, that's it, no more hardedge. In my last playthrough I never even encountered the soldiers you steal from. The window is that small.

If there is any habit people should be doing on original 7 playthroughs, it's steal the gently caress out of SOLDIERS whenever you encounter them, they always have rare and powerful gear

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hardedge is :pwn: it's literally only available in 1 area during a very specific time and if you proceed just one story beat, that's it, no more hardedge. In my last playthrough I never even encountered the soldiers you steal from. The window is that small.

If there is any habit people should be doing on original 7 playthroughs, it's steal the gently caress out of SOLDIERS whenever you encounter them, they always have rare and powerful gear

You can buy the Hardedge later on in Gongaga and I think Junon, but yeah you can get it real early from those SOLDIER 3rd Class enemies and that early Hardedge is extremely easy to miss. At least it's not fully missable like the Shinra Beta armor is, where you can only steal it from Shinra grunts during a very specific window on the ship from Junon to Costa del Sol.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Reno and Rude's steals in FFVIIR also reflect the Ziedrich and Touph Ring steals, except they're just generic store bought stuff in VIIR instead of unique armor/accessories.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I wish there were more enemy skills to learn in the remake.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Playing the original and it's funny how dialog always refers to Shinra as "Shinra, Inc." or sometimes "the Shinra". It's so awkward.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

You can buy the Hardedge later on in Gongaga and I think Junon, but yeah you can get it real early from those SOLDIER 3rd Class enemies and that early Hardedge is extremely easy to miss. At least it's not fully missable like the Shinra Beta armor is, where you can only steal it from Shinra grunts during a very specific window on the ship from Junon to Costa del Sol.

By the time you get to Junon you want to be winning the Force Stealer from Rufus' send off mini-game anyway.

Shinra Betas are sometimes dropped by (who else) Shinra grunts in the Underground Reactor and path leading to it, too.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Ometeotl posted:

Playing the original and it's funny how dialog always refers to Shinra as "Shinra, Inc." or sometimes "the Shinra". It's so awkward.

I know it's mostly awkward translation, but "the Shinra" makes sense given how they've built themselves up as an all-encompassing force in the world.

night slime
May 14, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

How do you do, fellow Cids.

This was pretty good

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pulcinella posted:

I wish there were more enemy skills to learn in the remake.

It's kind of disappointing since I hardly ever used the Enemy Skill materia at all. The ice aura has some utility when you're swarmed by beasts that are vulnerable to ice. Bad Breath is the real winner and is effective on nearly everything including a lot of bosses, but by the time I got it I was more or less done with the game anyway.

It's pretty funny putting Malboro to sleep with it's own attack. I only know this because on my first pass it went berserk and wiped me when I had it down to about 2% of its health.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sleep seems hard to use effectively in this game, since I think it still works on the premise of "physical attacks wake up the target." But the only way to get ATB to use magic attacks is.... physically attacking.

It's still good for multi-target fights when you just want some targets to not bother you while you kill other targets.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Sleep seems hard to use effectively in this game, since I think it still works on the premise of "physical attacks wake up the target." But the only way to get ATB to use magic attacks is.... physically attacking.

It's still good for multi-target fights when you just want some targets to not bother you while you kill other targets.

Yeah, that's actually what I used my Magnify for on Hard Mode. I hardly needed to heal when I was able to take mobs one at a time and not get ganked from behind. Looking at you Helitroopers

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Systematic System posted:

Yeah, that's actually what I used my Magnify for on Hard Mode. I hardly needed to heal when I was able to take mobs one at a time and not get ganked from behind. Looking at you Helitroopers

Yeah, I just used it on Hard Mode Abzu 2, since I kept getting stun-locked by the hundred million Abzu spawn that you can't seem to kill off in hard mode (you can "kill" them, but they just seem to respawn, I discovered after killing Abzu Spawn A like 5 times during the same phase). Also used it on the Reno/Rude fight because they were wrecking me when they were both active.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
So I just finished the game and am about to start hard mode. Is there are list somewhere that has the different things you need to get in each chapter? I don't feel like replaying the whole thing, but would like to hit the highlights and all.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chaitai posted:

So I just finished the game and am about to start hard mode. Is there are list somewhere that has the different things you need to get in each chapter? I don't feel like replaying the whole thing, but would like to hit the highlights and all.

Here’s a list of all the manuscripts:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-7-remake/All_Manuscripts_By_Chapter_Guide

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Chaitai posted:

What do you mean by "things"? The chapter select menu itself tells you how many manuscripts and music discs you have left to find in each chapter. In general, the manuscripts come from difficult fights in hard mode, so you can assume you get them from sidequests that requiring killing something and not from, like, a box smashing minigame.

Other than that, the big things are related to choices that will get you different dresses and such, if you care about that stuff. There are a bunch of guides for how to get the various dresses.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chaitai posted:

If you want the actual "Hard Mode" flag for the chapter as an achievement you have to play through the whole chapter.

If you want manuscripts, you basically fight the "boss" battles/complete side-quests. If you go through the list of chapters, there will be icons with numbers next to them. One is the music icon that tells you how many discs you have yet to collect. The other looks like a document icon, which is how many manuscripts are available. The discs you can get at any difficulty. The manuscripts can only be obtained in hard-mode (the exception is the early 1 on1 coliseum fights and the Moogle store). These don't require chapter completion.

Schwartzcough posted:

Other than that, the big things are related to choices that will get you different dresses and such, if you care about that stuff. There are a bunch of guides for how to get the various dresses.

You can do the dress achievement at any difficulty level, however. Which is good since it's a little tedious to get.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What are my chances of being able to order the limited edition (8 CD) version of the soundtrack without having to pay a scalper? Have I left it too late?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ok, Aerith's VA is actually going to get to Wall Market in her playthrough momentarily here, for those interested: https://www.twitch.tv/thestrangerebel

Edit: If she'd ever shut up about new subs and get started.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 12, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People keep gifting subs!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: at this point they're just chaining gift subs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

She is a popular streamer :shrug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it should be illegal to be this wholesome good grief!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I still don't understand Twitch. How does anyone read the chat? And it's polite to thank every single dang person who subscribes?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A lot of lonely guys out there.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the chats demand for chair love is pretty funny tbh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will say that she takes it to extremes, most streamers even with large followings will take like 5-10 minutes at most before starting, I went back to look at one of her VODs for a clip and the first 90 minutes was her talking to chat

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

At least she ignores the chat once she starts playing. Seems like for her, just got to mute it and tab back to it occasionally until she stops profusely thanking for every sub and starts playing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I would not watch a stream of anybody except maybe a speedrunner playing this game tbh. I get annoyed enough thinking of my first playthrough and how ignorant of how to actually handle the characters I was, let alone watching someone else also fumble around trying to play the characters and issue commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What are my chances of being able to order the limited edition (8 CD) version of the soundtrack without having to pay a scalper? Have I left it too late?

It's not available to pre-order yet, sign up on the SE website and they'll notify you when you can.

edit - Here!

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 12, 2020