Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is absolutely a suggestion that gets spaffed onto corporate "wellbeing" and "work/life balance" guidance but also I found it legit helpful since I really struggle with the same. I saw advice suggesting to try to have a "fake" commute if you can, to give yourself that separation. So if you'd normally walk to/from work then just go out the house for a short walk if you can before/after work (from wednesday obviously so you're not some kind of double exercise criminal before that...) If there is a book you'd read on a bus, or a game you'd play on your phone, or music you'd listen to in the car- then do that for a bit before/after work as a deliberate separating activity.

I actually do head off in the direction of my workplace most mornings, then turn around after 15 minutes, walk back home and pretend I'm now at 'work'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i might give this a pop but in addition to the absence of walk, the merging of GOOD SCREEN and BAD SCREEN into one MEDIOCRE SCREEN is messing with me a bit. i believe this is unavoidable

Are you on a desktop or a laptop? Obviously with a laptop you can move it easily so you can work in one place in your living space and move somewhere else after work, ideally completely different rooms but i appreciate that might not be feasible. With a desktop its not as simple obviously. If you have a wheeled computer desk where you can load everything onto it you could move it to a different room/part of the room for worktime. if you're locked into one spot you could try "dressing" the area during worktime; hang sheets from a rack to create a makeshift cubicle just so you have a low-stimulation area to "leave" at the end of the day. Even changing the desktop background might help.

Don't eat at your desk

Are there extensions that let you time-block certain sites? Try blocking "work" sites during downtime and "fun" sites during the workday

this is probably all bullshit, i work a menial job and am currently furloughed so I've been spending most of my days doing crafts and wasting time on the internet while waiting for the next mealtime, but it might be worth a try

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Steakandchips posted:

By working you make sure our Tory overlords' investments don't crash.

By not visiting your co-workers homes or playing sports, our Tory overlords can pretend they're keeping the lockdown, appearing to the voters they are Tough On The Virus (but not tough enough to have to increase taxes to pay for longer furloughs).

It's a psychological attack on the people of the UK and it's working far better than they could have ever imagined.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

deported to Canada posted:

BRB going to Wales for a bike ride in this lovely weather.

look at this guy not being Alert, gonna snitch right now for my good citizen points

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What actually happens if you break all these inter country rules anyway? Police come and tell you off but it’s not legislated so???

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

i might give this a pop but in addition to the absence of walk, the merging of GOOD SCREEN and BAD SCREEN into one MEDIOCRE SCREEN is messing with me a bit. i believe this is unavoidable

Nah, I feel that a lot so totally get where you're coming from. Can't see my other half at the weekend so basically spending all weekend and a chunk of each evening playing games on this PC and then during the weekdays, sitting here staring at work spreadsheets and it just all blends to one.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Man I wish I had a job and could work from home. Been out of work with the good ol fashioned anxiety/depression combo and at the start of this year I was put on a different pill that actually seems to be working a bit. So basically I started looking for a job just before all this poo poo kicked off.

Now I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more people looking for jobs after this and my cv ain't looking great with a big gap in it now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well thats helpful

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1259834550034800640?s=20

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

i think i saw that guy in brixton pre-lockdown

I'm like 5-6 stops from Brixton so, rip :ohdear:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Government Mandated Polycule Chain

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Rabb having said you can meet both your parents in a park but not at their home, the govn overuling that to just the one at a time actually. And now maybe we will all be able to go all round their house whenever we want. Glad they waited for SUnday to get this all cleared up in one concise message.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Government Mandated Polycule Chain

:heysexy:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

i quite liked having a head-clearing 45min walk each way at the start and end of each day, whereas now it's just a forlorn wank instead

That's not the kind of can-do attitude I was expecting.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sims 4 Pandemic DLC Pack

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

kecske posted:

look at this guy not being Alert, gonna snitch right now for my good citizen points

I think you will find that when I am stop and questioned by the fuzz I will win any debate with this one simple trick:

"But everyone's doooiiinnng it *puppy dog eyes*"

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Chrs posted:

This morning I went out for cat food and saw a headline reading “MR BLOBBY RUINS SUMMER” so even the tabloids are turning against them now

Blimey, what a bastard.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

why are they finding such specific ways to tell the public "ignore lockdown, spread this poo poo far and wide?" killing grandmas doesn't have to be this complicated.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"if you send people back to work without protections then people will die."

"no they won't. next question"

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
My friend has decided to drop out of her masters course and go back to America. I don't really have a lot of other friends in town for after quarantine. :smith:

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
I know shits bad rn but isn’t America the one place that’s worse?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

depends where you are i guess

unrelated but i've got a mate in iceland, theyre still out at the pubs and cafes and whatnot. They've had 10 deaths total.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like the announcement on furlough pay is coming tomorrow now. Hearing it will be dropped to 60% but there will be supplements for people who honestly can't work i.e. hospitality, hairdressers etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NotJustANumber99 posted:

unrelated but i've got a mate in iceland, theyre still out at the pubs and cafes and whatnot. They've had 10 deaths total.

They also tested everyone in the hamlet early on.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't understand what 'actively encouraging people to go to work' means?

They never encouraged people to not work, only stuff like retail was ordered shut. Everyone else just closed because there was no business.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

They never encouraged people to not work, only stuff like retail was ordered shut. Everyone else just closed because there was no business.

Word is they expected far fewer companies to furlough their staff and not in anywhere near the numbers that ended up happening. So this is a “correction”.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Doesn't Iceland only have a population of a few hundred thousand tho, as opposed to 60 million

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there a place that compares per capita AND pop density stats?
I’ve seen a lot of moving of the goalposts and would love to see the actual numbers.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

"employees who know better should be forced to expose themselves anyway." it's a dogwhistle thingy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dell_Zincht posted:

Doesn't Iceland only have a population of a few hundred thousand tho, as opposed to 60 million

Yeah and it's so insular that they have a special app to make sure you don't accidentally gently caress your cousin.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Yeah and it's so insular that they have a special app to make sure you don't accidentally gently caress your cousin.

That’s an app to help you gently caress your cousin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aginor posted:

Sounds like the announcement on furlough pay is coming tomorrow now. Hearing it will be dropped to 60% but there will be supplements for people who honestly can't work i.e. hospitality, hairdressers etc.

If I get shafted on 60% furlough immediately after going on it I'm going to be hosed off

Supposedly Boris wants to keep it as is

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Aginor posted:

I have a horrible feeling people furloughed because they have to shield might be forgotten

I can't survive long on 60% but its not as bad as sick pay, I guess.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Is there a place that compares per capita AND pop density stats?
I’ve seen a lot of moving of the goalposts and would love to see the actual numbers.

https://coronastats.co/

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Borris just gave the thumbs up to meeting your dealer at the park.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fumble posted:

sound that's me sorted

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bape Culture posted:

What actually happens if you break all these inter country rules anyway? Police come and tell you off but it’s not legislated so???

The old rules about being able to shoot people with a crossbow 'they' claim never were taken off the books are back, baby!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Fumble posted:

Ha lol, I was trying to figure out what actual good the new rules meant but it's totally this. Plus you can introduce them to your children.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
So...can I drive 40 miles to see my girlfriend yet or not? Pretty sure it's a no but it's all pretty confusing.

Isolation is getting to the both of us somewhat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

from wednesday, perhaps you can! unless she's welsh, in which case that is illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
This is absolute confusion. Wonderful time to be part of a death cult I say.