Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Hello nerds, it is I, Stubear, proud parent of the lovely threads about COD games for longer than I would like to admit, and I am furious. Coronavirus is ravaging this shitheap wasteland we call a planet. The Nintendo Switch is not available anywhere apparently ever again because electronics are "hashtag cancelled," as the teens say in between Fortnite sessions. My PS4 is having weird hardware issues and I can't play Sekiro anymore so I'm stuck with my lovely Xbone, while the rancid nerds at Geeksquad put their protection plans on hiatus because they're too worried about ~*risking their lives*~ to mitigate the minor inconvenience to my Epic Gamerhood.

And most of all? There's no thread on these forums about SnowRunner.

SnowRunner is the third game in a series that started with Spintires--or, to be more accurate, started with a tech demo for GPU benchmarking of a truck driving through mud with deformable terrain, which I fell in love with whilst benchmarking my piece of poo poo Radeon 9700 in 2004. It turns out that sure enough, our lord Jesus Christ was actually listening to my prayers, made a whole game from that tech demo, and bequeathed it upon some Russians, who named it Spintires and released it to the world. It's a series of games that requires you to drive at a low-medium speed, through mud and snow, and take logs or possibly bricks from point A to point B.

And it is the greatest thing on Earth.

SnowRunner falls into a niche that's hard to totally define. It includes games like Ancestors, Euro Truck Simulator, and maybe Kerbal Space Program. They're games where you can relax, proceed at your own pace if at all, possibly enjoy nature, and aren't bashed in the head with objectives or arcane mechanics; and yet they also aren't made for 4 year olds. They're games you can pick up and put down as needed if you have small children or a work-from-home job, and when you pick them back up you don't need 10 minutes to figure out what you were doing and why--and yet they also provide a tremendous sense of accomplishment in their own little ways. They're games that have subreddits with under 10k followers. And apparently they're games that you mouthbreathing turdkissers who paid $10 for your own small claim to the real estate of this glorious relic of an internet past don't see fit to make threads for.

Thus, it is with no small amount of intoxication that I want to present to you my case for why you should buy SnowRunner.

1. There's fuckin trucks
I would be remiss if I did not name this as the number one reason to buy this game. Boasting close to 50 trucks, with more on the way through DLC, and a modest 0 cars, SnowRunner lovingly recreates the glorious diesel-exhaust-spewing shitheaps from the 70's and 80's America when men were men, bestowed with the ornery engine sounds that will make you squeal with delight as they recall your morning commute. Accompanying these idols of a bygone era are their behemoth Russian cousins, largely unknown to us 'Muricans as we were too busy being Men® at the time, but every bit as badass, if not a bit moreso because, you know, Siberia.

A complete list of every truck:

And a comparison of all the tires, because I dunno where else to put it but it seems relevant:

Seriously, at the very least, anyone who was born in the 80's and grew up playing with trucks--i.e. anyone who was born in the 80's with a soul--should remember by sight the GMC MH9500 and the Chevy Kodiak C70, whose frames served as pretty much every dump truck and garbage truck during that time:

If you enjoyed Euro Truck Simulator, which I never actually played and know basically nothing whatsoever about, I can absolutely guarantee you that you will love SnowRunner.

2. There's nobody trying to fuckin talk to you
Boasting zero NPCs, zero voice acting, and no goddamn Cortana-esque AI talking in your ear every two seconds explaining exactly what to do because apparently people in video games still use the phone instead of texting, SnowRunner provides an atmosphere that consists entirely of the two fundamental constituent parts of the natural world: 1) nature and 2) bluesy guitar riffs. If you can't stand listening to guitar riffs intermittently for 10 straight hours during a slow day at what now passes for "work," because you are a weak, hollow-hearted, car-driving shell of a human being, then you can mute the music and listen to Kpop or the Jonas Brothers or whatever, or perhaps put on some Waylon Jennings in a feeble attempt to redeem yourself. You aren't going to miss anything; it is a game meant for chilling the gently caress out.

3. It either is, or is not, difficult
SnowRunner has one feature that I absolutely love, where you can sell trucks for exactly what you paid for them, including if you bought any upgrades. This is an intentional design feature since there's a finite amount of money to be made in the game, but it also means that you can abuse the poo poo out of it e.g. by buying fuel/service trailers and immediately selling them back for full price after you've refueled and repaired. In truth, there are a half dozen ways of cheesing certain parts, not the least of which is just killing the game before it autosaves if you gently caress everything up horribly. You can recover any truck all the way to your garage and give 'er another go, maybe with a different loadout.

BUT, if you so decide, you can opt for endless hours of trucks tipping over, cranes being fitted to other trucks and driven to the wreck, those trucks subsequently getting stuck in the mud, the trucks sent to pull them out tipping over, and on and on. Much like Kerbal Space Program, the game is capable of providing a great deal of emergent gameplay, should you actually decide to use your problem solving skills to accomplish the extremely simple tasks set before you.

And with that, I have copied images from Reddit and Bing image search and made what I feel is an indisputably persuasive case for buying SnowRunner and playing it and posting about it right here in this thread.

Oh and also, the game has a shitton of bugs, consider yourself warned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I dunno about this snowrunner stuff but my experience with mud runner was driving like half a mile down a windy road and then getting stuck in what looked like a very shallow pile of mud. It was actually very deep and troublesome. That game is hard as gently caress.

E: it's better than truck simulator by a country mile

tjones
May 13, 2005
I normally don't play these types of games. I prefer to play games that make me feel like I just overdosed on a combination of columbian nose powder and crushed adderall. If I'm not shooting dudes, blowing something up, or going a bazzillion miles an hour I'll quickly get bored.

But this game is different. It's chill as gently caress, and I'm having a blast. Maybe it's due to the nonstop coronavirus house party of 2020. All I know is I haven't played warzone in two days and I don't care.

The one issue I have is that holy poo poo is the multiplayer buggy as gently caress. They should probably fix the physics/desync issues as it is absolutely game ruining in its current state.

I'm running it on an XBOX One X and it has ran flawlessly. My friends on OG Xbox Ones crash a handful of times per game session, usually due to physics wigging out.

If you are in a coop game do not trade trucks, or crane any cargo, or even look in your mates' general direction while loading/unloading freight or an event horizon will appear out of nowhere and turbo gently caress everything in a way that is hard to fix without resetting the host's game. And they need to fix this ASAP, as multiplayer is what makes this game fun and currently all the cool poo poo is only possible in singleplayer due to the sync issues with physics objects.

There are other silly bugs like mission objectives dissapearing (you can restart the missions with a button prompt). There are also stupid design decisions like the hide the HUD feature disabling certain button inputs, I'm guessing due to it removing the onscreen button prompts.

The driving feels great and the in game world looks amazing. The terrain physics are fun. Driving down trails is a challenge even at 5mph. The game is frustratingly tough until you can manage offroad tire upgrades for your trucks. Playing the game with friends is almost required as it makes getting stuck or rolling over tolerable. Mute the music immediately --- the game repeats the same vehicle unique song forever.

Here are some screenshots I've taken. They really should add a photo mode to the game.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’ve been liking the game and somehow have spent many more hours in it than I thought I would. I like to go around and clear all the obstructions (rock slides, bridges out, etc) and pick up all the upgrades on a map before doing the missions. Which means, jesus, I have not actually done but a handful of actual storyline missions.

I bought the game on a whim because the reviews were high positive. Like all 90%. It actually lives up to these reviews quite accurately. It’s a TON of fun. It is hard though, and slow, and kind of frustrating in that way where when you finally do succeed it feels great. Hauling huge huge trailers full of stuff or giant oil drills or machines through muddy bogs or snowy mountains is weirdly thrilling!

I do have questions. First off, the missions. Do the ones with the yellow globe symbol next to them mean they are the main story missions I should prioritize? I ask because there are a lot of missions. My main complaint as a solo player is that each mission has several steps and this means they just.. feel like a lot of work to take on. Granted once I start they always go by faster than I thought, maybe 30 minutes each.

How does co-op with randoms work? I imagine it allows you to speed up mission completion by a large margin but I’ve been afraid it would somehow skrew up my single player game progress.

For Michigan and Alaska is there a “best” truck for hauling crap? I did get the hummer and all it’s upgrades and it seriously owns.

I hope more people pick this one up. The graphics in xbone X are seriously gorgeous and the mud/snow/weather engine is just something like I’ve never seen.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I do have questions. First off, the missions. Do the ones with the yellow globe symbol next to them mean they are the main story missions I should prioritize? I ask because there are a lot of missions. My main complaint as a solo player is that each mission has several steps and this means they just.. feel like a lot of work to take on. Granted once I start they always go by faster than I thought, maybe 30 minutes each.

Don't worry about prioritizing one thing over the next. Work at your own pace and do whatever you like most first. Ideally you'll want better equipment and upgrades before tackling the main missions as some of the jobs require hauling bigger poo poo and require you to jump from area to area in the region. Personally I like scouting a map completely first while activating all the missions, finding all the trailers and upgrades, and then using that info to complete tasks to buy upgrades for the trucks as I go.

quote:

How does co-op with randoms work? I imagine it allows you to speed up mission completion by a large margin but I’ve been afraid it would somehow skrew up my single player game progress.

The host game saves the game progress and that progress is shared with their single player game. All other players share XP and cash for completing objectives and tasks. Completing any objectives in the game in coop is the same as completing them in single player, so if a connected player completes a mission it will show completed from then on in the host game.

The physics system will desync while playing coop and cause issues in the game if all the players are not cognisant of the bug. Cargo and trucks will dissappear for some players but not others. Those players then can drive through the now not-there objects that then cause the objects in the other players games to go crazy. Eventually the objects will resync and all hell breaks loose. It's possible to get objects stuck into other objects or the world geometry. Once this starts happening it breaks the game and the chaos seems to increase in frequency. Sharing trucks and using the crane to move cargo (not so much the trucks or trailers) around appear to be the biggest triggers for causing this to happen.

quote:

For Michigan and Alaska is there a “best” truck for hauling crap? I did get the hummer and all it’s upgrades and it seriously owns.

I've been using the Fleetstar as my all arounder and its rad. With AWD, a locked differential, and upgraded tires its just as good as the other more expensive trucks. I hauled all the heavy equipment in the first map with it easily.

You'll find a Western Star White in the Smith's Dam area that when acquired and upgraded, is better than the Fleetstar. But until you're able to upgrade everything on it, the Fleetstar is your best bet. Scout each area out thouroughly as the game likes to throw free vehicles at you. Sometimes you'll need to repair or tow the vehicle back to the garage before you can use it, other times you can hop right in it and take off.

For scout vehicles, use whatever you like best. Make sure you use the repair and fuel supply addons so you can refuel and repair your scout without having to return to the garage. I've been using an International Scout while pulling a fuel trailer. The Loadstar, when you're able to unlock it, is hands down the best scout with the right upgrades.

Sarthek
Dec 30, 2002

tjones posted:

The Loadstar, when you're able to unlock it, is hands down the best scout with the right upgrades.
I haven’t tried the Loadstar yet, but the H2 is ludicrously unstoppable and you can get it for free on the first map in Alaska you visit.

Between that and the Royal BM-17 you can get on the same map, that’s seen me pretty sorted.

I see a lot of love for the Paystar online. Has anyone tried it back to back with the Royal? i.e. should I change my truck?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Awesome tips thanks! Getting the H2 in alaska was pretty nuts for me, pulled it all the way back under the oil pipe with a scout 800, then that got stuck in the snow, then pulled it back to the garage with a fleetstar. It took a while. I don’t know if I’d call it “free” lol.

I love the scour 800 in snow but poo poo it tips so easy I’m always pulling it back upright. With all the H2 upgrades yeah nothing stops it.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

How are people finding the YAR 87 in comparison to the H2?

I'm looking forward to unlocking it but I'm not sure how much you can improve on the H2 when you have all the unlocks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
These games are great.

Snowrunner isn't on Switch yet, but Mudrunner is and it actually has good multiplayer with a lot of people playing it, so if you wanna deliver logs with other people while you poop that's an option too

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Thanks for making this thread. I got this game on a whim, and now I can't put it down again. I've never had any interest in sim games, but this just feels so loving relaxing and satisfying. I put on a chill playlist and drive through muck at a speed that makes you wonder why you don't get out and walk. The way missions are structured also feels oddly satisfying. I hated that there are maps without garages at first, but now i love planning for that, assembling a fleet that I think will be suited to the jobs at hand.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

It's genuinely weird to me that the H2 is kind of a beast in this game after having been its own punchline for the past 10 years. I still mostly stick with the Loadstar though, and the DLC not-Jeep as a last resort

Sarthek posted:

I haven’t tried the Loadstar yet, but the H2 is ludicrously unstoppable and you can get it for free on the first map in Alaska you visit.

Between that and the Royal BM-17 you can get on the same map, that’s seen me pretty sorted.

I see a lot of love for the Paystar online. Has anyone tried it back to back with the Royal? i.e. should I change my truck?

I sold the Royal and switched to the Paystar. The main benefits I found were that the Paystar comes with diff lock and the engine sounds cooler, main drawback is it tends to tip over more. Plus when you're that early in the game, the $122k you get for the Royal can just about get you the Paystar plus the Loadstar.

I think my favorites so far are the Pacific P12 and the first Azoz you get. There's a lot of love out there for the Tayga, it's a solid truck but that thing's fuel consumption is ridiculous. Then again, I'm still only level 13 because I spend the overwhelming majority of my time loving around instead of doing missions, so I haven't seen most of the trucks yet.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Love this game, its so drat relaxing. I sold the first two trucks u find in Michigan and bought the Paystar. That thing is such an amazing beast and was able to handle almost everthing i could throw at it.

Unfortunately, i was playing in coop and something terrible happened. I was in the Paystar and switching maps when the game crashed. Not a big deal in of itself, but when i started back up, my glorious Paystar was nowhere to be found. I cycled through every map available to me and checked every garage and i was not able to find it. Good bye $80k+

So uh, be careful in coop yall

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Right after losing my beautiful Paystar, i went to Russia and bought the more expensive Voron offroader. Pretty good, almost the same as the Paystar. Unfortunately for me, the raised suspension upgrade is bugged and u can never install it.

Lmao better luck next time, still love this dumb game

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

It's genuinely weird to me that the H2 is kind of a beast in this game after having been its own punchline for the past 10 years. I still mostly stick with the Loadstar though, and the DLC not-Jeep as a last resort
They seem to have gifted the stock configuration you find it in with magical tyres that have really good stats, and good tyres can make awful offroaders at the very least workable. The highway trucks are near useless without them when offroad, but are actually pretty good (in michigan at least) once you find a raised suspension that lets you install better tyres, even without locking diffs or 4WD. Mind you, an extended winch is almost as valuable as good tyres, since you can basically go from tree to phone pole all the way across most routes, with the odd gap, and help yourself up hills by winching from the back forwards. It felt like cheating the first time i figured out that you can just detach the trailer, drive uphill or over the difficult terrain, and then winch across the trailer from good ground.

I had no idea that selling equipment gets you full value back too, that's really useful to know. I think i'm going to collect up all the trailers that i've just been letting sit uselessly and get some more gear for the one or two MVP trucks i have.

I don't know if that's going to be patched or changed, but sometimes the hardest part of completing a 'rescue a stuck [blah]' is actually reaching the mission activation area in order to activate the delivery spot for it, you can sometimes very easily get the target truck safe, but i've actually had to drive over to the place it was stuck in order to activate the mission instead of starting it from the menu. Maybe it just expects you to do the mission as soon as it's active and tracked, but i like just accepting missions as i find them.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 11, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ya, its kinda frustrating that u cant activate tasks through the start menu. One thing that i heard but havent tested is that when u sell ur truck, it doesnt take into account any upgrades u may have purchased into the price. Since there is apparently a finite ammount of money u can earn, u need to be careful of ways it can disappear.

I really hope they add a way to redo tasks and jobs. Im worried that ill have to start a new save if i do all the missions since there will be nothing to do

tjones
May 13, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Ya, its kinda frustrating that u cant activate tasks through the start menu. One thing that i heard but havent tested is that when u sell ur truck, it doesnt take into account any upgrades u may have purchased into the price. Since there is apparently a finite ammount of money u can earn, u need to be careful of ways it can disappear.

I really hope they add a way to redo tasks and jobs. Im worried that ill have to start a new save if i do all the missions since there will be nothing to do

You can gain XP and extra cash from the objectives you complete in coop games. I've helped a handful of friends with progress on their Michigan maps and I'm a lot more leveled than I would normally be in my own game with a ton of spare cash.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

It absolutely does factor in the price of the upgrades when you sell a truck back; I'm looking at my garage right now and I've got a Fleetstar with $54800 and a Loadstar worth $51000, among others. This is actually a really good roundabout way to sell back upgrades in case you buy something you don't want!

The UI/UX is pretty much completely stupid when it comes to not being able to select missions to track from the map, or having to shuffle around between garages just to "reclaim" cars before you can take them to another garage. The whole notion of having a separate loadout for each garage is really pointless; it feels like they probably originally had it so you'd have a totally separate fleet for each region, and then they decided that that was dumb and players should be able to use whatever trucks they want wherever they want.

Sarthek
Dec 30, 2002

It absolutely does factor in the price of the upgrades when you sell a truck back; I'm looking at my garage right now and I've got a Fleetstar with $54800 and a Loadstar worth $51000, among others. This is actually a really good roundabout way to sell back upgrades in case you buy something you don't want!
It does factor in the upgrades, but after briefly doing some unscientific experimentation today I'm not sure it's 100% of the purchase cost if you sell the upgrade fitted to the vehicle. I'd need to look at it more closely to see if that's because it gives you the price difference between the default part (be it an engine or whatever) and the upgraded one, but I've been selling all of my parts manually just to make sure.

[truck related stuff]
I'm not even level 13 yet, I've been screwing around so much.

I gave the Paystar a go today and yeah, I see its advantages over the Royal. On the other hand, soon after I got the Azov 64-131 (the red and yellow one), and that was the end of my Paystar's short tenure. I definitely didn't see any value from the P12 when I gave it a go.

As far as scouts go, I don't have the DLC so for US-purchased ones it's between the Chevy, the Scout, and the H2. The Scout was fun enough for a while there, but out of the three it has to be the H2 for now, even with its slightly game-breaking magic tyres.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Game glitched and i lost the White Star fully kitted out. The store still has the check mark indicating that I own the truck. When I loaded into the game the screen was there as though I was in the truck but it wasn't there and the bottom left of the screen showed full damage for every part.

Anybody encountered this and is there a work around?

PS4 if that matters.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
This is my Snowrunner review:

10/10, game of the year

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Sarthek posted:

It does factor in the upgrades, but after briefly doing some unscientific experimentation today I'm not sure it's 100% of the purchase cost if you sell the upgrade fitted to the vehicle. I'd need to look at it more closely to see if that's because it gives you the price difference between the default part (be it an engine or whatever) and the upgraded one, but I've been selling all of my parts manually just to make sure.

I'm not even level 13 yet, I've been screwing around so much.

I gave the Paystar a go today and yeah, I see its advantages over the Royal. On the other hand, soon after I got the Azov 64-131 (the red and yellow one), and that was the end of my Paystar's short tenure. I definitely didn't see any value from the P12 when I gave it a go.

As far as scouts go, I don't have the DLC so for US-purchased ones it's between the Chevy, the Scout, and the H2. The Scout was fun enough for a while there, but out of the three it has to be the H2 for now, even with its slightly game-breaking magic tyres.

You get the difference in price between the upgrade and the default, because you keep the default. For example, if I have a Paystar which is $82,100 by default, and I put on an "offroad" transmission which is worth $5,300, then I can sell the truck for $85,500 because I'm keeping the $1,900 default "balanced" transmission in my inventory. (I have the game open and I'm looking at this now.)

I gave up the Paystar for doing anything serious after I got the Azoz, not even sure why I still have it--hence why I'm doing the math for selling it. The P12 isn't really useful at all, it's just big and bouncy and fun so I try to use it for what little it's good for and use the Kolob 74941 as my heavy truck of last resort.

I really don't like the DLC not-Jeep that much, it's actually a bit too powerful for comfort and constantly tips over, it's just really really good on mud.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Hoekie posted:

Game glitched and i lost the White Star fully kitted out. The store still has the check mark indicating that I own the truck. When I loaded into the game the screen was there as though I was in the truck but it wasn't there and the bottom left of the screen showed full damage for every part.

Anybody encountered this and is there a work around?

PS4 if that matters.

No one that I know has figured out how to recover the truck deliberately, but jumping in and out of regions and garages will usually, eventually, make the truck show back up.

If you've got enough money to buy a somewhat expensive truck, and haven't unlocked all the garages in any of the regions, you can easily duplicate a truck as many times as you want and resale it to recover the costs of the truck you lost. Search youtube, the duplication glitch videos are everywhere.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

When I tried to use the scout 800 to haul the H2 out of the bog and back to base, I was towing the H2 and chose a place to try to fit both the trucks back under the oil pipe. I picked a place just a bit too low and literally the split second that my scout 800’s roof touches the pipe and starts to get wedged in.... this happens.

https://i.imgur.com/PVuk2qa.gifv

tjones
May 13, 2005
LOL yeah. The game has issues with physics and is a buggy mess. Coop will desync players and they'll merrily run into equipment that they can not see and then when the game tries to resync everyone the whole server sets in doing that dance. It would be a lot more funny if it didn't always happen when everyone is loaded and working on the longer missions that require multiple pickups and dropoffs.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah. I’m still afraid to try coop because I hear vehicles and missions can straight disappear.

Game is gorgeous though. And gently caress yes did I pull that massive machine trailer all the way to the factory. That was such a dope experience.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Have goons been doing coop at all? I played Spintires way back in the day and it was more fun coop than it was by myself.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

This thread honestly makes me afraid to try co-op. Apparently there's a patch coming this week that will fix the most egregious issues in co-op on PS4 specifically, and some fixes on the other platforms too.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Coop is honestly why the game is worth it and you should 100% be playing coop if you know anyone else with the game. Singleplayer is fun tooling around but the real meat of the game is having to winch out your friends and laugh at how bad their situation is. The one caveat I would note is if you're going to be moving any equipment on other equipment (putting scouts on rollbacks, driving heavy trucks onto the heavy duty hauler, stacking unsecured loads on a flatbed) then I would definitely do so in singleplayer and unstage everything before inviting people into your game.

As long as everyone understands what causes the bugs and actively tries not to make the glitches happen then its really no big deal. The fun from coop is still worth the game going beserk anyway.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya the vast majority of my playtime has been coop. Its been a lot of fun havin random truckers hop on and tow me out of a pinch. I even was able to find my missing truck. It was floating in the air on the edge of the map where it initially disappeared if anyone else is havin that bug.

does anyone else whip it around tight corners like this with the winch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QYV9Wm8gV0&t=49s

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So... how do you sell trucks in this game? Am I missing a really noticeable button prompt somewhere?

e: oh it's in the Retain menu? That's counterintuitive.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 13, 2020

Sarthek
Dec 30, 2002

Oldstench posted:

So... how do you sell trucks in this game? Am I missing a really noticeable button prompt somewhere?

You have to put them in storage, then when you look at your truck storage you'll get the option to sell one if you select it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Me every time I start playing this game.

Also, gently caress the mud in Russia--especially Zimnegorsk!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

looks like there was an update yesterday. Patch notes taken from here:

quote:

Consoles
Co-op

Additional invitation and connection fixes
Fixed: some players were not able to accept a co-op invitation after quitting the game during a co-op session
Fixed: host blocked after a guest exits a game while host was changing map with a guest's vehicle
Stability

Main rendering crash fixed (PS4)
Miscellaneous

Additional crash and freeze fixes
Fixed headlights and brake lights issues
Fixed a terrain issue in Smithville Dam
PC
Co-op

Cargo duplication fix
Fixed the main menu disappearing or being blocked when players tried to find a game
Fixed some cases of trucks overlapping each other with no collision
Fixed friends' names not always displaying properly in friends list
Stability:

Numerous stability improvements
Miscellaneous

Additional crash and freeze fixes
Various rendering Fixes
Localization fixes
WIP Known Issues:
These are issues we're in the process of fixing, and should be fixed in the next update.

PC

Savedata - Trucks duplicate if savegame path contains non-latin letters and symbols
Some players get a black screen when they open map (can cause save issue)
Michigan dam duplicated/lost truck bug
Missing and duplicating trucks after every loading in the solo mode
As coop host, you can lose your truck if you quit the game during a gateway loading screen
Coop - Player can fall under the ground
(PS4 also) Tutorial - It's possible to leave the garage before going to Alaska using the global map

On that same forum, they also posted this:

quote:

This week, we plan to release a larger update for all platforms (PC, PS4, and Xbox One). This update aims to resolve the main rendering crash and coop disconnection issues that have been reported on PS4, as well as several other fixes for all platforms, including more collision, mission, and cargo fixes. The full patch notes will be provided when the update releases.

In the next couple of weeks, we also plan to release our first free major content update! It will contain a fourth Taymyr map, working mirrors for consoles, cross-region (Michigan-Alaska-Taymyr) coop, and more!

Pretty stoked for the new Russia map and its gonna be neat going cross region for coop

tjones
May 13, 2005
Hopefully they get the next patch rolled out quickly. The update that dropped two days ago broke more things and didn't fix any of the issues, at least for the XBOX. Desync and crashing is still occuring, and now if you unpack your cargo the game deletes everything loaded on your truck and trailer.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The stupidest thing is that the console controls are demonstrably worse than the PC controls even with the same controller, although I think the latest patch made it at least a bit better. I have the game on both PC and Xbox and the steering on xbox is wonky as hell compared to PC, playing with an xbox one controller on both. On PC, it feels like Forza Horizon or so, although obviously with a large truck. I just mean that the steering starts going back to center fairly immediately. On xbox, it was taking like 10 seconds before it would start centering. Combined with the lack of any steering wheel indicator, it meant that if you tried to make a minor correction you were likely to fishtail like crazy and eventually smash a tree, fall off a cliff, roll over, etc unless you were going super super slow at all times, even on flat asphalt roads. You had to always be in an external view and watching your front wheels to see where they were pointed.

It seems less pronounced after the last patch, despite not being in the notes, but it's not quite the same. The camera on console (at least xbox) also goes flying around and is super hard to control or keep where you want it. On PC, it's fine, although there's a bit of room for improvement. It also runs heinously bad at 4K on a XB1X to the point where I set the console to only do 1080p. Honestly that might have been what improved the steering some, the FPS was in the 20's or lower sometimes it felt.

All that said, I've been playing coop on xbox with the wife and we've had a lot of fun. It's been buggy fun, we've lost some progress due to either crashing, desyncs, or that dumb bug where you recover to the garage and can't leave the garage or customize or buy anything or whatever without quitting back to the main menu and reloading.

By and large it's worth getting and worth doing coop. Just like that other poster said, be careful and try not to do things that are likely to trigger desyncs, and everyone just expect to have them sometimes and be OK with it. Aside from that, my only real complaint with the coop is that player 2 only gets money/XP progress, they don't unlock new vehicles they find or get upgrades they grab when they're back in their own game. I get if they don't want to mark missions complete, but not having your upgrades or new vehicles when you're back in your own game is kind of lousy. I'm not sure if she has them back when she re-joins my game, we'll have to check that more carefully next time.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

^^ yeah, in most games when you drive with a controller it dampens your input for corrections because there's so little travel on a controller joystick that you're always going to overcorrect, whereas with a wheel that kind of overcorrection is generally not even physically possible. The original project cars was pretty much unplayable for the same reason, no idea if they fixed it in the second one.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I just bought this and will be playing tomorrow unless I decide to go out on actual Michigan roads

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Am I correct in assuming that there are upgrades that don't show up on the map even if you hit all the watchtowers?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Am I correct in assuming that there are upgrades that don't show up on the map even if you hit all the watchtowers?

Yes. I've run in to a few in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

There are some trucks you can discover that don't have markers or anything either. You can actually see them on the minimap.

Not all upgrades are on the map, but all of them have the same wrecked car with an upgrade symbol spray-painted on it nearby, whether they're marked or not.

Has anyone found any cool easter eggs? In the first Taymyr map I found a whole bunch of barely-marked graves deep in the woods to the west.