Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Most existing systems of ethics do not fully take into account the implications of time travel, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Finished it up this weekend as someone who like many also played the original. General thoughts: I'm not totally dissatisfied by any means and it's still an all time top game for me based on the core experience, but I can't help but feel like they could have done a hell of a lot more and calling what was added a third semester just feels kind of weak considering there are still huge time skips and a lot of forced actions early on.

The entire first week has you dragged through a repeated loop of talking to your now delusional friends without any apparent quick travel, running through the station over and over which ends up feeling like a waste of time rather than doing it in a day and adding in some more story somewhere else. The build up to Maruki's palace also felt a bit padded with the Mementos segments.

Kasumi's twist is just fine and makes sense in the greater plot, but she feels super jammed in as far as the game apparently shoving a relationship in your face that you can only max out a few days before the end of it, anyway.

Okumura's palace fight was as stupid as the few posts I read indicated and I have no idea how they let that design through. Other than that I was disappointed that several of the palaces still felt like massive slogs at times, even if you have insane amounts of money thrown at you and can generally get to the treasure in a day.

I also hated how quickly they started talking about partying after realizing Akechi presumably died. Just completely shortsighted writing in that way, plus some of the long winded conversations going on throughout. The ending wasn't necessarily worse, and I like that you end up with a bit more resolution with your friends, knowing that they have actual plans for their lives, but I also liked the happy ending of the original where you got to just go on a last fun trip. The post-credits scene also leaves a lot open to interpretation.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but really I just felt like there could have been more.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RevolverDivider posted:

Throw Away Your Mask is loving incredible though holy poo poo

Both Throw Away Your Mask and I Believe are incredible for how the parallel the game up till that point.

Throw Away Your Mask is a direct refutation of Shapeshifter, which was the "normal, every day" theme for Joker and the Phantom Thieves. Shapeshifter is about their need for belonging and the necessity of their Phantom Thief personas, while Throw Away Your Mask says no, if you trust in the antagonist he can create a perfect world where they all have a place to belong.

I Believe is the sequel to Life Will Change; the latter was the song of the Phantom Thieves' resolve, and the former is the reaffirmation of that resolve after the the thieves (sans Joker) lost their perspective in the face of Maruki's new world.

I Believe and Throw Away Your Mask can then be seen, in essence, as an argument between one view point and another.

Also finally, each song adds on to the on to the previous one it builds on, such that you can append their titles together and get something new. "I Believe Life Will Change", and "Shapeshifter, Throw Away Your Mask."

Sydin fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 11, 2020

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

I'm having far to much fun with Velvet Room alarms.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the character designer's notes on ken in the p3 manual state that his shorts were the focal point of his character and that has haunted me ever since

Oh I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking more Ken 'dog moves in blockstun' and Koro.

That bit wouldn't surprise me though, honestly.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking more Ken 'dog moves in blockstun' and Koro.

That bit wouldn't surprise me though, honestly.

he was one of the best of the p3 cast in a game that unfortunately had naoto and shadow yu in it, all I remember about ken specifically is that he liked to jump and eat mudos in the face :x

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Mark me down as another Merciless kill for Okumura. I foolishly thought with two Psy Rings I would be the one to crack the Hard Mode code and I absolutely was not.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

^burtle posted:

Mark me down as another Merciless kill for Okumura. I foolishly thought with two Psy Rings I would be the one to crack the Hard Mode code and I absolutely was not.

Folks need to use Network Fusion and Red Alarm Fusions more. :colbert:

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Clarste posted:

I think it does make sense that the Thieves fell into Maruki's illusions because there's is literally nothing about the base ending or their base social links that would make us think that they believe it's a good thing that their parents were killed or friends were assaulted or whatever. In fact, they were unquestionably bad things and their motive throughout the whole game is to stop these bad things from happening in the future by punishing those responsible. I think it's even questionable whether stopping Maruki was even a good thing or not (if you can rewrite reality, is it really a bad thing to undo all tragedies throughout history?), although the story tried to make it more clear-cut by showing how fallible he was as a god. So even if his goals were correct, maybe he wasn't the best person to implement them.

I mean, one way to take the message at the end is "it's good that you were traumatized because it builds character."

I dunno, I think it's pretty important that their specific suffering did in fact build their characters. I've had some poo poo times in my life and I'd love to prevent other people from going through that, but there's a huge difference between that and wanting to undo my own past. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the development of the characters there, but I think it should be a hard sell to forget everything they've done and achieved during that time.

In any case I'm glad Maruki leads to so much discussion, but he's ultimately a totalitarian by his own definition. I don't think his fallibility is the problem there. His world makes it really hard to learn anything, or to change or grow, because he decides what's best for everyone. Even if he's right in the short term, figuring that poo poo out is really important and meaningful, as is letting it develop though your life.

It'd be one thing if he were making an illusion or an alternate world, where folks could opt-in or not, but he's explicitly replacing the world with his vision, regardless of consent. That is super messed up and core to his goal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Maruki is also lying or at least twisting the truth when he explains what he's actually doing. He plays it off like he's creating a world where everybody's ideals are realized, but that's not really the case. When you get the the "psychiatric evaluation" portion of his palace, you learn that as he sucks in peoples' cognitions from Mementos he runs them through the exam to see if they share his worldview and values or not. If they don't, they're "treated" by means of being strapped to a brainwashing device until their ideal version of reality is the same as Maruki's. In some cases the brainwashing is so extreme people come out the other end with a completely different personality, to the point that they might as well not even be the same person any more. We also see in the bad end where you miss the deadline that if Maruki can't get somebody to accept his reality he has no scruples about forcing them into an endless coma so they're out of the way.

Maruki's ideal is laudable - the Thieves even say as much (particularly Yoshizawa) - but his methods are ultimately no different than Yaldy's.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Every loving time I think Shoji Meguro isn't going to top his prior work, he steps up and smashes it out of the park. Will Power, Blooming Villain, and Rivers in the Desert were amazing, and then comes Keep Your Faith and Throw Away Your Mask. They fit those two fights so well too. Not to mention I believe, Take Over, and Penal Labor.

The Royal OST isn't available to buy anywhere yet, is it? I have the collectors edition disk but that only seems to come with half the songs.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
The fact that prison labor is locked behind challenge fights, most of which you can't play in the base version of the game, is a crime.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sojiro, what the gently caress.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I’m not sure survival is quite worth that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone tried getting a Pixie or Jack Frost or whatever to level 99 and put a bunch of powerful skills on it

edit: I just found out that Ichiko is another awkward rejection where she gets obviously upset and suddenly says she's tired and leaves and calls you drunk later

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 12, 2020

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Ytlaya posted:

Has anyone tried getting a Pixie or Jack Frost or whatever to level 99 and put a bunch of powerful skills on it

There's always someone out there making a ripped Jack Frost. Not sure about Pixie, though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm sure any day now youtube will start inexplicably recommending to me a 'is it possible to beat persona 5 royal with JUST a pixie???' video

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ytlaya posted:

I have an Arsene @ 99 with Victory Cry, Enduring Soul, Medidolaon, Concentrate, Magic Ability, Repel Bless, Vacuum Wave, and Ice Age. :v:

Imma 'bout to use it to solo the 3rd semester boss while sporting The Great Thief Stick.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? https://youtu.be/o9HdBIqeESI

People do it for Arsène all the time and he starts about as weak as them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While watching the Takemi romance scene on Youtube (since I'm not doing it in the game) I noticed that her English VA is one of the handful that are significantly different from their JP one. I think this is one of the characters where I like the JP voice significantly more.

Also the Takemi romance scene is definitely one of the more eyebrow-raising ones - there's something particularly weird about this adult coming to the protagonist's house and asking if his guardian is home before going to hook up with him.. It's off-set by the non-romance option being a normal one that doesn't involve awkward rejection, though. Both Ichiko and Takemi do the "you're joking right" thing, but Ichiko is obviously upset by it while Takemi doesn't seem bothered.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

While watching the Takemi romance scene on Youtube (since I'm not doing it in the game) I noticed that her English VA is one of the handful that are significantly different from their JP one. I think this is one of the characters where I like the JP voice significantly more.

Also the Takemi romance scene is definitely one of the more eyebrow-raising ones - there's something particularly weird about this adult coming to the protagonist's house and asking if his guardian is home before going to hook up with him.. It's off-set by the non-romance option being a normal one that doesn't involve awkward rejection, though. Both Ichiko and Takemi do the "you're joking right" thing, but Ichiko is obviously upset by it while Takemi doesn't seem bothered.

Do you mean her VA for Royal or the original? Her english VA from the original was perfect, but apparently scheduling conflicts meant that they had to replace her.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just beat the game. Beat the last boss on merciless, which was actually hard when it prevents you from healing for a round.

Question about the ending: why were the phantom leaves being trailed when everyone got into the van? who were those people?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ytlaya posted:

You're watching a different Ichiko than I was, then. Her whole deal is sure, she'll go along with it, knowing it won't last because Joker is a player. And she goes straight for the nookie wherein the other adults (I'm not counting Chihaya here) kind of dance around the subject. Hell, watch Ichiko's Christmas scene. She straight up tells you she's spending the night, no "if's", "and's", or "but's".

seiferguy posted:

Question about the ending: why were the phantom leaves being trailed when everyone got into the van? who were those people?

They're PSIA agents trailing the leader of the Phantom Thieves. A person with access to abilities that kind of just turned the judicial system upside down. That's not surprising in the least.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 12, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

You're watching a different Ichiko than I was, then. Her whole deal is sure, she'll go along with it, knowing it won't last because Joker is a player. And she goes straight for the nookie wherein the other adults (I'm not counting Chihaya here) kind of dance around the subject. Hell, watch Ichiko's Christmas scene. She straight up tells you she's spending the night, no "if's", "and's", or "but's".

When she says "you didn't seriously think we were dating, right?" and you say "I didn't take it seriously" she goes "Oh, haha, yeah, of course! Man, it's sure getting hot in here, I'm getting kinda tired, gonna leave now" and then calls you drunk afterwards, so it's not that subtle about it.

Adding to the romance rejections, I also just hit Chihaya's. That's another one that forces you to be an rear end in a top hat; she asks "You must have been coming for some reason other than just getting your fortune read, why did you keep coming" and the non-romance option is "I like having my fortune read." On the upside, she reacts well to it and doesn't seem upset.

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you mean her VA for Royal or the original? Her english VA from the original was perfect, but apparently scheduling conflicts meant that they had to replace her.

Ah, I didn't notice it changed (probably because I only heard the new one through a youtube clip since I only played the original in English). Yeah, the original was better and probably about as close as you could get. Something about the new one feels off.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 12, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh, wow, they made Tae sound way younger in Royal.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Question before I buy the Royal edition:. If I played and beat persona 5, and currently have it uninstalled, does Royal read my previous save game file for new game + or do I have to download P5 as well?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It’ll just read your save data. I deleted my P5 install to make room for P5R, so don’t worry, I was in your boat too. :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nothing is transferred and new game isn’t necessary. It just checks for the data existing and gives a sizable amount of bonus Yen when starting a new game.

One of many reasons why if you’re hurting for cash in Royal, you’re doing it wrong.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Geostomp posted:

One of many reasons why if you’re hurting for cash in Royal, you’re doing it wrong.

Ren’s not hurting for cash. Yusuke is complaining about being broke and Sojiro is horrified at the cost of sushi, meanwhile I’m running around with 1.8 million yen.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Kaneshiro: You have three weeks to bring me three million yen.

Joker: Here you go

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

arisu posted:

Kaneshiro: You have three weeks to bring me three million yen.

Joker: Here you go

That should've been an option allowing you to skip his palace and just go straight to the boss battle.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

That should've been an option allowing you to skip his palace and just go straight to the boss battle.

That’d just be telling him and the mob that you actually are a piggy bank for them to squeeze dry. If you’re willing to cave like that, they wouldn’t feel cornered enough for Kaneshiro’s treasure to manifest, they’d just bleed you even more dry.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

That’d just be telling him and the mob that you actually are a piggy bank for them to squeeze dry. If you’re willing to cave like that, they wouldn’t feel cornered enough for Kaneshiro’s treasure to manifest, they’d just bleed you even more dry.

There’s nothing stopping him from adding a few extra zeroes to his arbitrary “debts” when he gets someone with deep pockets trying to be a smartass.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ChaosArgate posted:

I was imagining it more that you offer the money to Kaneshiro's shadow, and he takes you to the back vault to shake you down more but you just kick his rear end instead.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It would be funny if the game acknowledged at pretty much any point that Joker can be running around with an obscene amount of money. Obviously acknowledging it for Kaneshiro would kinda break the game but something smaller like covering the sushi bill in Sojiro's social link would be neat.

Is it ever touched upon at all in dialogue if the group splits up the money they make from palaces, or if it just all goes to Joker? Like one of our members is perpetually poor and literally gets off trains a station or two early to save a couple yen, meanwhile Joker's raking in millions per Mementos trip. If they think it's all going to the Phantom Thief coffers to improve their gear then they're sorely mistaken, it's all going to getting my homeroom teacher to dress up as a maid and come to my house to make me curry.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kawakami Nav DLC when

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

It would be funny if the game acknowledged at pretty much any point that Joker can be running around with an obscene amount of money. Obviously acknowledging it for Kaneshiro would kinda break the game but something smaller like covering the sushi bill in Sojiro's social link would be neat.

Is it ever touched upon at all in dialogue if the group splits up the money they make from palaces, or if it just all goes to Joker? Like one of our members is perpetually poor and literally gets off trains a station or two early to save a couple yen, meanwhile Joker's raking in millions per Mementos trip. If they think it's all going to the Phantom Thief coffers to improve their gear then they're sorely mistaken, it's all going to getting my homeroom teacher to dress up as a maid and come to my house to make me curry.

They apparently just blindly trust Joker and Morgana with all the cash, because they barely have any idea what he does to get all their resources in the Thieves’ Den.

I think the fact that he executes parts of his soul to make the higher end stuff assures them he’s dedicated enough to stay on the up and up. Let’s be honest, the others (aside from Makoto and Haru who finds more in her couch cushions) would squander it way worse than Joker ever could.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

They apparently just blindly trust Joker and Morgana with all the cash, because they barely have any idea what he does to get all their resources in the Thieves’ Den.

I think the fact that he executes parts of his soul to make the higher end stuff assures them he’s dedicated enough to stay on the up and up. Let’s be honest, the others (aside from Makoto and Haru who finds more in her couch cushions) would squander it way worse than Joker ever could.

There is a manga chapter that covers this very premise and it is also the source of this panel about Makoto.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

There is a manga chapter that covers this very premise and it is also the source of this panel about Makoto.

Its a really good chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The manga in general is very good at aknowledging that these are a bunch of dumbass kids that are in way over their heads.