Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unless there's a real problem with it, you could keep the E7, and just get a massdrop (or JDS Labs) o2 or JDS Labs Atom and be fine.
Or you could blow all $300 on a THX amp like the Drop THX 789 and be blown away, but still not need a new DAC.

So would there be a good noticeable difference with a JDS atom + SDAC or Modi vs blowing it all on the drop THX 789 to pair my old Fiio E7?

My current headphones: M1060 daily driver, Koss E95X (broken atm)

I’m still thinking of getting either a Hifiman Ananda/edition XX, or the LCD 2C eventually. Maybe an Elex but with the bad drivers I’m kinda staying away for now.

Thought of getting a JDS atom and a newer $100ish DAC to replace my E7 but the good DACs are all back ordered. However, the THX 789 is available in Amazon and I keep hearing it’s the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

trem_two posted:

Parts Direct has one from their house brand Dayton Audio (DTA120bt is the model). I think their stuff is generally considered pretty decent in the ultra budget range.

looks like just what I need, cheers!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

How about the Plantronics Backbeat Fit line? You could also look into airpods or bone-conducting headphones
These are exactly what I had in mind. Thanks!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I currently have some Sennheiser HD555's (took out the foam) and I have loved them for the last ~10 years. I'm getting an itch to jump to something else but have no idea what.

I also have had this: http://www.audinst.com/en/mx1

to go along with it. I game a lot (games that use sound as cues) and listen to a wide variety of music through the headphones. What would be a good "step up" from the HD555's? Is my DAC/Amp still sufficient? I guess I'm just looking for some suggestions/thoughts. Thanks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I went 555 foam mod for years->598 for a couple years->6xx and the 6xx has been a big jump in quality while retaining a similar character. I think if you dig the 555s the 6xx is a good affordable upgrade. Your amp would do fine with them.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Mang Tomas posted:

So would there be a good noticeable difference with a JDS atom + SDAC or Modi vs blowing it all on the drop THX 789 to pair my old Fiio E7?

My current headphones: M1060 daily driver, Koss E95X (broken atm)

I’m still thinking of getting either a Hifiman Ananda/edition XX, or the LCD 2C eventually. Maybe an Elex but with the bad drivers I’m kinda staying away for now.

Thought of getting a JDS atom and a newer $100ish DAC to replace my E7 but the good DACs are all back ordered. However, the THX 789 is available in Amazon and I keep hearing it’s the best.

I really like the SMSL SP200 THX amp, it's a higher end THX chip, the 888. The box is also a lot smaller with internal power supply instead of a plastic box. It's sounds almost identical (definitely not worse, slightly better if anything) and it's a LITTLE cheaper. You'd be happy with the Drop model also surely. I'm using mine with the LCD2C right now. On low gain at around 12 it's plenty loving loud. I'm using it with a "budget DAC", the Monolith USB stick DAC/AMP thing on my laptop. My desktop setup is the CTH+SDAC combo, which I like a lot too, but the SMSL is definitely more, cleaner, power. It just sounds loving great.

Also, don't bother with balanced DAC on either THX amp, it's completely pointless. The RCA inputs are preferred actually, because the things are so loving powerful the voltage from the XLR balanced inputs is just way more than it needs, you COULD get distortion at ridiculous volumes on high gain.

Dogen posted:

I went 555 foam mod for years->598 for a couple years->6xx and the 6xx has been a big jump in quality while retaining a similar character. I think if you dig the 555s the 6xx is a good affordable upgrade. Your amp would do fine with them.

I've heard the 58X is marginally better than the 6XX for gaming? I don't competitively game at all so idfk, they're what I use on my PS4 controller tho.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 2, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

If you aren't gaming competitively (ie listening for footsteps) then its more a comfort thing and/or whatever you prefer to listen with.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Pardon the noob question but i'm confused as hell about using my aptx HD bluetooth headphones on my PC and hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm currently using a Fiio dac/amp to connect them with a cord but sick of it dangling everywhere so hoping to go bluetooth instead.

I found this bluetooth adapter that seems to support aptx HD ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZB6S69P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3RA2WX93QPLXS&psc=1 ). I've tried one of those cheapo $10 bluetooth adapters but the quality/latency was too terrible to handle.

Will I actually notice a difference if I get an aptx HD adapter, and if so, should I plug it into my existing Fiio dac (which supports the highest bitrate on my PC) or straight into my computer case? And when the adapter is plugged into the PC, will it still only support 16bit/44k hz?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ddogflex posted:

I've heard the 58X is marginally better than the 6XX for gaming? I don't competitively game at all so idfk, they're what I use on my PS4 controller tho.

I'm surprised the 58X aren't too quiet on a PS4 controller.

I doubt there's much difference in terms of gaming, they've a similar enough soundstage that I'd think positional audio would be the same.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dogen posted:

I'm surprised the 58X aren't too quiet on a PS4 controller.

I doubt there's much difference in terms of gaming, they've a similar enough soundstage that I'd think positional audio would be the same.

I crank it pretty close to max, but it’s enough!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

UncleGuito posted:

Pardon the noob question but i'm confused as hell about using my aptx HD bluetooth headphones on my PC and hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm currently using a Fiio dac/amp to connect them with a cord but sick of it dangling everywhere so hoping to go bluetooth instead.

I found this bluetooth adapter that seems to support aptx HD ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZB6S69P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3RA2WX93QPLXS&psc=1 ). I've tried one of those cheapo $10 bluetooth adapters but the quality/latency was too terrible to handle.

Will I actually notice a difference if I get an aptx HD adapter, and if so, should I plug it into my existing Fiio dac (which supports the highest bitrate on my PC) or straight into my computer case? And when the adapter is plugged into the PC, will it still only support 16bit/44k hz?

This isn't something that's asked a lot in this thread, and I don't have a clear answer for you, but I do have some tips:
  • You want a device that plugs into your computer via USB, not something that takes a 3.5mm audio jack. Bluetooth audio is digital, so anything that takes an analog input is going to digitize it. Prefer just converting the source straight to Bluetooth audio, because doing a round-trip through an analog signal is just going to add noise.
  • Higher-quality codecs like Aptx-HD can push very good quality audio, but the latency is still not great. I'm not sure I would recommend it for, say, gaming. Aptx-Low Latency trades audio quality for lower latency. And make sure your headphones support it.
  • Windows' support for Bluetooth audio leaves much to be desired, and might be picky about adapters. It's probably improved by now, but last time I tried it a year or so ago it still sucked.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

UncleGuito posted:

And when the adapter is plugged into the PC, will it still only support 16bit/44k hz?

What's your use case that requires better than 16bit/44k?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Arcsech posted:

This isn't something that's asked a lot in this thread, and I don't have a clear answer for you, but I do have some tips:
  • You want a device that plugs into your computer via USB, not something that takes a 3.5mm audio jack. Bluetooth audio is digital, so anything that takes an analog input is going to digitize it. Prefer just converting the source straight to Bluetooth audio, because doing a round-trip through an analog signal is just going to add noise.
  • Higher-quality codecs like Aptx-HD can push very good quality audio, but the latency is still not great. I'm not sure I would recommend it for, say, gaming. Aptx-Low Latency trades audio quality for lower latency. And make sure your headphones support it.
  • Windows' support for Bluetooth audio leaves much to be desired, and might be picky about adapters. It's probably improved by now, but last time I tried it a year or so ago it still sucked.
Makes sense, thanks!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What's your use case that requires better than 16bit/44k?

Just lossless music- I'm getting a pretty low dynamic range on the current settings with aptx hd headphones + standard Bluetooth adapter.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

UncleGuito posted:

Just lossless music- I'm getting a pretty low dynamic range on the current settings with aptx hd headphones + standard Bluetooth adapter.

You talking about hiss or something else? CD-quality is good enough for Bluetooth.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Budget - up to $500 to solve
Source - 2 laptops, phone, desktop, tablet (see below)
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM (I sleep in IEMs sometimes because my partner snores)
Preferred Tonal Balance - N/A
Past Headphones - cheap garbage IEMs and Corsair VOIDs
Preferred Music - Techno, Metal, Alternative

So, ideally I would like to come up with one solution for my sound needs. None of my sources are terribly high quality (mostly streaming music and conference calls). The issue I have is that I need to transfer from device to device multiple times a day as I join conference calls. I also need a mic, but I don't know what to do about a mic if I get IEMs without it included. My ideal situation id getting a Bluetooth DAC/AMP with a mic and a nice set of IEMs; where the DAC has functionality to easily/quickly swap source, but I don't even know that such a thing exists. I'm OK with a mini stereo plug that gets moves between sources too, but this seems less ideal. I use the devices I have now like 8-10 hours a day, plus overnights as mentioned above 2-5 times a week. I keep wearing out or breaking IEMs (No physical damage but one or the other of the monitors ends up sounding like poo poo). Is there a solution to this? Or do I just keep buying $20 lovely IEMs and replacing them when they break.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SoftNum posted:

Budget - up to $500 to solve
Source - 2 laptops, phone, desktop, tablet (see below)
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM (I sleep in IEMs sometimes because my partner snores)
Preferred Tonal Balance - N/A
Past Headphones - cheap garbage IEMs and Corsair VOIDs
Preferred Music - Techno, Metal, Alternative

So, ideally I would like to come up with one solution for my sound needs. None of my sources are terribly high quality (mostly streaming music and conference calls). The issue I have is that I need to transfer from device to device multiple times a day as I join conference calls. I also need a mic, but I don't know what to do about a mic if I get IEMs without it included. My ideal situation id getting a Bluetooth DAC/AMP with a mic and a nice set of IEMs; where the DAC has functionality to easily/quickly swap source, but I don't even know that such a thing exists. I'm OK with a mini stereo plug that gets moves between sources too, but this seems less ideal. I use the devices I have now like 8-10 hours a day, plus overnights as mentioned above 2-5 times a week. I keep wearing out or breaking IEMs (No physical damage but one or the other of the monitors ends up sounding like poo poo). Is there a solution to this? Or do I just keep buying $20 lovely IEMs and replacing them when they break.

Not sure I follow. What breaks on the IEMs? The driver? The cable? You could maybe get some IEMs with removable cables but those start to add up in cost too.

Do you expect this stuff to move around with you? Are you stationary when you want to switch between all of these devices or do you want to seamlessly switch from, say desktop to laptop 1 in a different room to tablet on the move with you to phone in your pocket? I suppose what I’m asking is how many of these devices should be plugged into one device (IE a dac or receiver/preamp or whatever) vs Bluetooth vs something else.

What kind of devices are they? I assume the phone and tablet are Android devices since you didn’t name them as iOS. What about the computers? Mac? Linux? Win? What are we working with here? USB outs? Optical? Analog only?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Not sure I follow. What breaks on the IEMs? The driver? The cable? You could maybe get some IEMs with removable cables but those start to add up in cost too.

Do you expect this stuff to move around with you? Are you stationary when you want to switch between all of these devices or do you want to seamlessly switch from, say desktop to laptop 1 in a different room to tablet on the move with you to phone in your pocket? I suppose what I’m asking is how many of these devices should be plugged into one device (IE a dac or receiver/preamp or whatever) vs Bluetooth vs something else.

What kind of devices are they? I assume the phone and tablet are Android devices since you didn’t name them as iOS. What about the computers? Mac? Linux? Win? What are we working with here? USB outs? Optical? Analog only?

On the lovely IEMs I buy now I assume it's the driver that breaks. One side will start sounding weak and muffled. There's no obvious damage or frayed cable or whatever.

When I am switching I am sitting at my desk. All the devices are at the desk in front of me. I have literally one of everything except iOS (Mac, Widows laptops, linux desktop. Android phone & tablet) The laptops have normal headphone out ports and USB-C. The desktop has Optical S/PDIF and various analog line outs from on board chipset (also USB ports of many varieties). Phone has headphones out and USB-C. Tablet is older and has like micro-A and headphones out (THis lives mostly next to my bed to generate white noise for when I sleep. It's lowest priority to solve for me)

Thanks for any help you can provide. I hope this helps!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SoftNum posted:

On the lovely IEMs I buy now I assume it's the driver that breaks. One side will start sounding weak and muffled. There's no obvious damage or frayed cable or whatever.

When I am switching I am sitting at my desk. All the devices are at the desk in front of me. I have literally one of everything except iOS (Mac, Widows laptops, linux desktop. Android phone & tablet) The laptops have normal headphone out ports and USB-C. The desktop has Optical S/PDIF and various analog line outs from on board chipset (also USB ports of many varieties). Phone has headphones out and USB-C. Tablet is older and has like micro-A and headphones out (THis lives mostly next to my bed to generate white noise for when I sleep. It's lowest priority to solve for me)

Five devices might be a little tricky, but why not something like this? Just a little passive switchbox.

As for crappy IEMs, get some BLONs for the nice housing and replaceable cables.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SoftNum posted:

Do you need mic in to all of them? Which ones do you need to mic into?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

I think your best bet is to get a good Bluetooth/USB DAC amp combo. Something like the Radsone ES-100, or Fiio BTR3k or BTR5. They'll allow you to pair with just about any device, and can easily drive just about any IEM you'd come across in your price range. They have microphones, so can be used for calls/audio input, although I think the quality of that audio is generally considered ok-at-best. I have an ES100 and use it mostly with my phone via Bluetooth, but also occasionally use it connected to my laptop via USB when I want to use it's 2.5mm balanced output. Sounds incredible in both situations.

You'll surely be able to get some excellent IEMs along with this type of device given your total budget. It ultimately depends on what you'd prefer to spend, the type of fit you want, and the type of sound profile you are looking for - IE do you care more about something exciting with big bass, or something more analytical/balanced, do you care more about detail retrieval or maybe prioritize having a wider sound stage, etc. I'm guessing based on the genres of music you mentioned that you'd want something geared more towards fun rather than analytical listening.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do you need mic in to all of them? Which ones do you need to mic into?

the mic needs to go into the two laptops and the phone at least. It going into the desktop would be a bonus.

trem_two posted:

I think your best bet is to get a good Bluetooth/USB DAC amp combo. Something like the Radsone ES-100, or Fiio BTR3k or BTR5. They'll allow you to pair with just about any device, and can easily drive just about any IEM you'd come across in your price range. They have microphones, so can be used for calls/audio input, although I think the quality of that audio is generally considered ok-at-best. I have an ES100 and use it mostly with my phone via Bluetooth, but also occasionally use it connected to my laptop via USB when I want to use it's 2.5mm balanced output. Sounds incredible in both situations.

You'll surely be able to get some excellent IEMs along with this type of device given your total budget. It ultimately depends on what you'd prefer to spend, the type of fit you want, and the type of sound profile you are looking for - IE do you care more about something exciting with big bass, or something more analytical/balanced, do you care more about detail retrieval or maybe prioritize having a wider sound stage, etc. I'm guessing based on the genres of music you mentioned that you'd want something geared more towards fun rather than analytical listening.

I looked at the BTR5, that seemed to be a lot of what I was asking for. Do you know what the experience is of switching it though? I was afraid with any of those that it would become a major hassle to switch. ANd to be clear I dont' necessarily want to spend $500, especially since I know my sources are never going to be the best.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I tried the Tanchjim Oxygen and they blew me away. 2nd best set of IEMs i've heard, just down from the Shuoer EJ07:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkdwMqa_jA0&lc=z22oyhr4aqzvctrdiacdp433jlwro4yhootzzo4w3xtw03c010c.1588825456692187

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

I looked at the BTR5, that seemed to be a lot of what I was asking for. Do you know what the experience is of switching it though? I was afraid with any of those that it would become a major hassle to switch. ANd to be clear I dont' necessarily want to spend $500, especially since I know my sources are never going to be the best.

In the case of the ES100, the only use case I have tested for "switching" is simply plugging in the USB port, I suspect it would get trickier though if you're trying to manage bluetooth pairings with multiple sources though. BTR5 has a FAQ page on Fiio's site, might not hurt to look through that or possibly download the instructions to see if it helps (not sure that it will tbh).

redeyes posted:

I tried the Tanchjim Oxygen and they blew me away. 2nd best set of IEMs i've heard, just down from the Shuoer EJ07:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkdwMqa_jA0&lc=z22oyhr4aqzvctrdiacdp433jlwro4yhootzzo4w3xtw03c010c.1588825456692187

I watched this the other night, nice job. BTW I am the guy that made a pretty long review post in the Oxygen thread on head-fi a couple of weekends ago. They really are so, so good. The sound stage and imaging is so much better on the Oxygen than any other IEMs I have.

Have you considered making your spreadsheets/data from your videos available to the public? I'd be curious to look through your notes and rankings.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I started over in PYF, the recommended products thread, and got sent over here, and I need some help.

I'm looking for affordable, good quality headphones. I usually plug them into my phone or my PS4 controller, and at night, when my wife and kid are asleep, I use them when I'm playing games so that there isn't any noise to wake them up, and a lot I've tried off the shelf are pretty meh, and earbuds just hurt my ears. I've not found a really good pair anywhere in town, and I'm afraid of accidentally ordering hot garbage online.

What do you guys recommend? I mostly use them to listen to a Let's Play or Spotify for music, and I just want something nice.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Leavemywife posted:

I started over in PYF, the recommended products thread, and got sent over here, and I need some help.

I'm looking for affordable, good quality headphones. I usually plug them into my phone or my PS4 controller, and at night, when my wife and kid are asleep, I use them when I'm playing games so that there isn't any noise to wake them up, and a lot I've tried off the shelf are pretty meh, and earbuds just hurt my ears. I've not found a really good pair anywhere in town, and I'm afraid of accidentally ordering hot garbage online.

What do you guys recommend? I mostly use them to listen to a Let's Play or Spotify for music, and I just want something nice.

Affordable has a wide, wide range of meanings. Beyerdynamic DT770s (probably the 32ohm version, given your sources) or Custom Ones (basically the same, but with a removable cable) are good choices for durable, good sounding headphones.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Affordable has a wide, wide range of meanings. Beyerdynamic DT770s (probably the 32ohm version, given your sources) or Custom Ones (basically the same, but with a removable cable) are good choices for durable, good sounding headphones.

Yeah, uh, I guess I should have been more specific in affordable. :sweatdrop:

Maybe in the $25 to $40 range? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here. I might be in the wrong place.

oh god i'm gonna be laughed outta here

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Status Audio CB-1s wouldn't be TOO far out of that price range, I only recommend them because your use case matches what I use them for and I've used them for hours on PS4 with no discomfort.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe in the $25 to $40 range? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here. I might be in the wrong place.

I've never personally used them, but these are pretty well regarded for their price; at that price range the best sounding earphones you'll find are IEMs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Status Audio CB-1s wouldn't be TOO far out of that price range, I only recommend them because your use case matches what I use them for and I've used them for hours on PS4 with no discomfort.

I second these.

I love love love mine for the price. They are very comfortable for extended wear and I really enjoy the sound they put out.

Edit they also go on sale frequently so I wouldn’t pay full price for them.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 11, 2020

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

If you can afford to stretch your budget to the Status CB-1, that does seem like the best bet. If your budget is not flexible though, there are some Chinese made headphones that have gotten a bit of a cult following by modders. They are resold under at least 7 different brand names (ISK MDH9000, Stellar Labs HC-5985, Marantz MPH-2, Freeboss MDH9000, LyxPro HAS-30, Neewer NW-9000, Akai Professional Project 50X) that sometimes are available for under $40, and the Stellar Labs variant is available from a scientific equipment company right now for $31.

I've never heard them myself so I can't vouch for them, but there are loads of people on head-fi that have bought these, many of them with the intention of modifying them in some capacity. At the very least the driver seems to be pretty capable, hence it's popularity with the modding crew.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Thank you all for your answers, I think I'm going with these. I like knowing they won't be hurting my ears after a while; that's one of my top considerations for headphones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Thank you all for your answers, I think I'm going with these. I like knowing they won't be hurting my ears after a while; that's one of my top considerations for headphones.

They are super comfortable. I’ve worn them for like 6+ hours at work with like no pain or fatigue

Just keep an eye out for a sale

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

So I got my HarmonicDyne Helios in the mail today.

Quick first impressions:
Build is good. Stock pads are quite nice however slightly too soft for my tastes, or for the stock clamp anyway. Probably a degenerate westerner head size thing. Swapped out for ZMF ori suedes to stop my ears touching the drivers. My unit has none of the construction issues in the prototype that did influencer rounds for promo when the indigogo first launched.

Amping requirements? My Burson Playmate seems like utter overkill (currently 18/100 on low gain). Wide. Very wide.

My ears hurt a bit because the volume was a tad too high when I first put them on so the extended listen test will have to wait. Maybe tomorrow.
(they don't hurt bad or anything, I simply want to make sure it's not because of sibilance before I comment on the treble)

Okay ear recovery didn't take as long as I expected. Even at low volume treble is a little elevated for my liking, always a risk with v-shaped gear. A circle of craft felt plus another circle of 2 ply tissue paper between the drivers and the pads fixed that. I guess if you have ideas about buying these you may want to be into re-tuning your stuff to fit personal preference. I did a similar thing with the old Massdrop 4XX's so read into that what you will. Also volume ended up being 15/100, low gain.

I don't really have a lot to say about these. Lots of bass, a bit of mid-range suck out, too much stock treble. Typical v-shape really. I guess if you really like the look of them they might be worth buying & tuning. If you want a better end result simply buy a Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. To be honest I prefer a neutral signature with extended bass response. If there was a version of the Helios with neutral tuning stock instead of this V I think I'd really like them.

"They're okay I guess but why not buy a Beyer studio monitor headphone instead?" not the best recommendation I know.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 11, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Folks pretty much did not like that Helios. Sorry man.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DancingShade posted:

So I got my HarmonicDyne Helios in the mail today.

Quick first impressions:
Build is good. Stock pads are quite nice however slightly too soft for my tastes, or for the stock clamp anyway. Probably a degenerate westerner head size thing. Swapped out for ZMF ori suedes to stop my ears touching the drivers. My unit has none of the construction issues in the prototype that did influencer rounds for promo when the indigogo first launched.

Amping requirements? My Burson Playmate seems like utter overkill (currently 18/100 on low gain). Wide. Very wide.

My ears hurt a bit because the volume was a tad too high when I first put them on so the extended listen test will have to wait. Maybe tomorrow.
(they don't hurt bad or anything, I simply want to make sure it's not because of sibilance before I comment on the treble)

Okay ear recovery didn't take as long as I expected. Even at low volume treble is a little elevated for my liking, always a risk with v-shaped gear. A circle of craft felt plus another circle of 2 ply tissue paper between the drivers and the pads fixed that. I guess if you have ideas about buying these you may want to be into re-tuning your stuff to fit personal preference. I did a similar thing with the old Massdrop 4XX's so read into that what you will. Also volume ended up being 15/100, low gain.

I don't really have a lot to say about these. Lots of bass, a bit of mid-range suck out, too much stock treble. Typical v-shape really. I guess if you really like the look of them they might be worth buying & tuning. If you want a better end result simply buy a Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. To be honest I prefer a neutral signature with extended bass response. If there was a version of the Helios with neutral tuning stock instead of this V I think I'd really like them.

"They're okay I guess but why not buy a Beyer studio monitor headphone instead?" not the best recommendation I know.

Just got mine too. Bout to hit the box with a clorox wipe and send it to my sister for her birthday.
Not even gonna try them on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got these coming from Bestbuy

No idea if they are any good but for $50 I couldn’t pass them up (like I need more headphones).

Pretty sure they are gonna get passed down to my S/O though.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Got these coming from Bestbuy

No idea if they are any good but for $50 I couldn’t pass them up (like I need more headphones).

Pretty sure they are gonna get passed down to my S/O though.

I think I tried these on in-store once a while ago, and if so, they are NOT KIDDING about "extra bass". I do think they'd be worth $50 though, if you need a set of decent cans and like (or at least don't mind) cranked bass.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Hi all, looking at buying my first decent pair of headphones (i.e. not a $25 pair of bog standard Sony IEMs) and slightly daunted be all the alternatives.

Budget - Around $100 AUD.
Source - Android phones and occasionally a stereo.
Isolation Requirements - Not huge. It would be nice to not have my music drowned out by traffic noises while walking to/travelling on the bus, but I don't want to be completely oblivious to the outside world as I'm walking around with them. Also, my girlfriend would like to be able to listen to music while I'm working from home/talking on the phone most of the day without us bothering each other with talking/music.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over or on-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced.
Past Headphones - I've pretty regularly used these horrid little fuckers for years now, and am frankly sick of the cable always fraying after 6 months/having to cram them into my ears.
Preferred Music - Podcasts, rock, IDM, and a shitload of 80's new wave.

I've heard that Sennheiser HD 300s are pretty okay, they're currently on sale for $79AUD, but I'm completely ignorant and would invite recommendations for similarly priced solid headphones. Bonus points if they're available in the on-ear or over-ear section at JB's.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

NOPE! Get thee a pair of KOSS KPH30i, in rhythm beige the only true acceptable color.

$29 on Amazon, $20 on DROP.com. Best beater headphones in my mind. Really digging the build quality.

Also- if you have $50, a COSTCO membership, and want Bluetooth, I really really like my Plantronics BackBeat Fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Arcsech posted:

I think I tried these on in-store once a while ago, and if so, they are NOT KIDDING about "extra bass". I do think they'd be worth $50 though, if you need a set of decent cans and like (or at least don't mind) cranked bass.

For real, I had a pair years ago and they were plenty bass-heavy without even turning the bass boost on. But yes, for $50 they're a steal.