Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Are the idiots stationed in SKorea on lock down or are they busy spreading coronavirus with all of the prostitutes outside of base?

(The answer is probably both?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Carnival Rider posted:

I think I'm one of the last few idiots still in nowadays.

Nah, I’m still here.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Real silly question. I'm writing a RPG scenario and I need a handout for an NPC who was in the Army. Since I'm down a rabbit hole and like to make realistic-enough handouts, does anyone have knowledge and ability to gin up some sort of HR/Records related document? Basically a listing of where this guy was deployed (and captured, and rescued), in Afganistan.

I can just type garbage into some of the fields of a form but having it done so it's real enough would be a nice little bonus.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Nice try, narc.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Elendil004 posted:

Real silly question. I'm writing a RPG scenario and I need a handout for an NPC who was in the Army. Since I'm down a rabbit hole and like to make realistic-enough handouts, does anyone have knowledge and ability to gin up some sort of HR/Records related document? Basically a listing of where this guy was deployed (and captured, and rescued), in Afganistan.

I can just type garbage into some of the fields of a form but having it done so it's real enough would be a nice little bonus.

Real enough would mean those records were lost being transferred between two duty stations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Real enough would mean those records were lost being transferred between two duty stations.

Or they were literally never entered by the admin personnel in the first place

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

They used the wrong disposition code so instead of captured S-1 just thinks dude had been at airborne school for a year

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Please resubmit your ransom request- DTS is down.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Your 214 says your primary MOS is 68W and you have no secondary MOSs or ASIs, but somehow you've been slotted as an aircraft maintainer. Have fun!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm liking the emergent story of an NPC who, thanks to Standard Green Weenie™ fuckery, is actually a capable badass with issues (no thanks to his capture) but nobody knows the truth thanks to the miracle of record keeping paperwork.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

just get an ERB template and fill in whatever info as necessary, the more wrong/non-sensical the form is the more realistic

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Flying_Crab posted:

just get an ERB template and fill in whatever info as necessary, the more wrong/non-sensical the form is the more realistic

I hate how much this makes sense.

Would there be any notation for being captive by the Taliban for a time? Like how would that reflect on a service record?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think you are still listed as your previous duty station, as you never out processed

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Elendil004 posted:

Would there be any notation for being captive by the Taliban for a time? Like how would that reflect on a service record?

Ask Bowe Bergdahl

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Ask Bowe Bergdahl

gently caress, I should have asked my roommate to take a look at his poo poo when I worked for Bergdahl's unit.

Guy kept showing up on monthly reports as being red on MEDPROS and needed a dental appointment.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Dental plan

Berghdahl needs braces

Dental plan

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

The Rat posted:

Dental plan

Berghdahl needs braces

Dental plan
I laughed and I don't care who knows it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The Rat posted:

Dental plan

Berghdahl needs braces

Dental plan

:golfclap:

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner_of_War_Medal

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

poo poo, just give him a DD 214 blanket

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Give him a DD-200 for all the CIF gear they lost when they got captured and held hostage

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

It counted as deployed time until his trial was over, that much I know for sure. There were pictures of him going to trial with overseas stripes going up to his triceps.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I helped send a number of trainees off to the Army over the past couple of years, and they've come from a number of different backgrounds and ideas on other folks, sure. I had to help some here and there understand the material to the point I'd like to think their gaining Units find motivated, trainable individuals.

But this class? Unless I threw all the boomers on base into a room, I haven't run into such a concentrated pile of racist little shitheads that attempt to play innocent with plausible deniability whenever they're called on it. It's like a barely filtered Twitch channel, because they're gamers too.

Too bad there's a limited list of folks I can talk to here on that, because it's deep Texas and there's so many CHUDs

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Bell_ posted:

I helped send a number of trainees off to the Army over the past couple of years, and they've come from a number of different backgrounds and ideas on other folks, sure. I had to help some here and there understand the material to the point I'd like to think their gaining Units find motivated, trainable individuals.

But this class? Unless I threw all the boomers on base into a room, I haven't run into such a concentrated pile of racist little shitheads that attempt to play innocent with plausible deniability whenever they're called on it. It's like a barely filtered Twitch channel, because they're gamers too.

Too bad there's a limited list of folks I can talk to here on that, because it's deep Texas and there's so many CHUDs

We talking ROTC cadets or young soldiers here or what?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Elendil004 posted:

They're probably either listed on the books for the unit they were in or moved to a separate unit identification code to be tracked with other POWs.

Same goes for equipment used in say, a war crime. I'm aware of at least one weapon from my old unit that was used in a war crime in Afghanistan and is still being held by CID a decade later despite still being on a company's property book. This results in Army systems that still shows them as having the required amount of this type of weapon despite actually being down 1 of a company's most lethal weapons.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, the paperwork really is the worst part about a war crime.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

We talking ROTC cadets or young soldiers here or what?
Young soldiers.

My experience with ROTC cadets as an OC at that Fort Knox summer camp (is it still CDC?) in 2015 was a great experience, but a lot can certainly change over five years-especially these five years!

Regarding these kids, I'm an instructor at their school house for folks I'm training now, and while I often also do PRT with them, their time is essentially split between me and their DS, so I'll touch bases with her and an available EO rep. And of course, document everything.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bell_ posted:

I teach public school and it's an infection there. Kid's get on youtube/reddit/twitch/etc/etc very early these days and it poisons their brains.

I'm constantly amazed at the parents who give their children full, unfiltered access to the internet at all times.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
If you don't mind me asking, how do you handle them on a day to day basis?

I've found that I love teaching, but damned if that bit doesn't concern me about teaching after the military!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bell_ posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you handle them on a day to day basis?

I've found that I love teaching, but damned if that bit doesn't concern me about teaching after the military!

I feel like the military built me to be a teacher.

As for dealing with budding adult humans? I absolutely try and stop it in my class by being very attentive to what's on their school computers. Meaning, I check what's on the computer (web history, recent documents, etc) and ask them very directly about anything I find, then deal with it appropriately.

Also, this website's dumb threads keep me up to date on certain terms that would go without notice for most people. I hear talk about incels, mgtow, sjw, kekistan, etc, etc I know enough to perk up and ask them what's going on.

I just have to remind myself that a lot of it is kids being as edgy as possible and not really comprehending.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Any reserve 35A Military Intelligence officers here? I'm prior Navy O, now a civilian, interested in learning more about the Army Reserve lifestyle.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Howard Phillips posted:

Any reserve 35A Military Intelligence officers here? I'm prior Navy O, now a civilian, interested in learning more about the Army Reserve lifestyle.

It’s the army.

E: oh wait you’re an O. Carry on this isn’t my lane. My lane has potholes and the lines aren’t painted.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would say "it's the Army" still applies.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

It's really going to depend on what kind of unit you're in, but definitely seek out an intel unit instead of winding up in an S-2 section somewhere.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Don't be a wuss- get some of dat Grunt poo poo.

(Note- under no circumstances ever should you ever get some of dat Grunt poo poo.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Flying_Crab posted:

It's really going to depend on what kind of unit you're in, but definitely seek out an intel unit instead of winding up in an S-2 section somewhere.

In the reserves do you normally "interview" with individual units for assignment? Or is it up to the big Army to send you where you drill? Also, how often does a reserve unit deploy? Entry level training... I assume OCS is waived and all I would need is MOS specific schooling?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Right now in the Reserve units are not authorized to interview for positions unless it’s for a position of trust or command team.

You can choose your own unit, and there are programs in place to cover travel expenses. Lodging-In-Kind (LIK) provides hotel rooms if you live over 50 miles from your unit, and the Inactive Duty Training - Travel Reimbursement Program (IDT-TRP) provides $500 to cover travel expenses if you live over 150 miles away. You can use them in conjunction. Distances are calculated through the Defense Table of Distances (DToD). These programs are subject to available funding.

Reserve units deploy pretty regularly, and you can always use the Tour of Duty website at MOBCOP to find volunteer assignments.

Not sure on the Entry Level Training requirements for prior service. Best to talk to a recruiter for that info.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 12, 2020

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Retrowave Joe posted:

Right now in the Reserve units are not authorized to interview for positions unless it’s for a position of trust or command team.

You can choose your own unit, and there are programs in place to cover travel expenses. Lodging-In-Kind (LIK) provides hotel rooms if you live over 50 miles from your unit, and the Inactive Duty Training - Travel Reimbursement Program (IDT-TRP) provides $500 to cover travel expenses if you live over 150 miles away. You can use them in conjunction. Distances are calculated through the Defense Table of Distances (DToD). These programs are subject to available funding.

Reserve units deploy pretty regularly, and you can always use the Tour of Duty website at MOBCOP to find volunteer assignments.

Not sure on the Entry Level Training requirements for prior service. Best to talk to a recruiter for that info.

Thanks Joe.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anytime. Say hey to Nester for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The national guard lifestyle is the best.

You get to train 1 weekend a month, sometimes Friday-monday and do some of the most high speed poo poo you can ever think of.

Combat mopping

Defensive scrubbing

Tactical classes on sexual harassment prevention, suicide prevention.

Did I mention all the cleaning duties?

As an O, you'll obviously not be entitled to these details, and you'll be in briefings for the entire weekend, most likely figuring out what to do to the enlisted scum next month.

I was/am considering a life in the natty guard, because I hate myself and every so often miss the military lifestyle. Being an officer of course, and after med-sepping from Marine OCS in the fall of 2019 was kind of a bummer.

But then I usually come to my senses and just huff a bunch of paint and stay with my normal daytime job.