Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Nemeis (1992, Amazon Prime) is so sick, Albert Pyun is a king. Recommend me some more 90's b-scifi movies with practical effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jose Oquendo posted:

I do have to admit I've never watched more than an episode or two of Barney Miller. I should give it a go.

At least watch the werewolf one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gorman Thomas posted:

Nemeis (1992, Amazon Prime) is so sick, Albert Pyun is a king. Recommend me some more 90's b-scifi movies with practical effects.

Nemsis is utterly tremendous and sadly I don’t think any of these can compare, but:

Hardware (1990) - Dylan McDermott! Plus a bunch of musician cameos
Death Machine (1994) - Brad Dourif!
Split Second (1992) - Rutger Hauer! Kim Cattrall! Pete Postlethwaite! (Note: I haven’t seen this in literally a quarter century so I will not vouch for the quality)
Robowar (1989) - Reb loving Brown! (Ok this is 80s and more like z-scifi but still)
Robot Jox (1990) - Stuart Gordon directs

david_a fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 12, 2020

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

david_a posted:

Robot Jox (1990) - Stuart Gordon directs

how many times did me and my school chums hold our fists out and yell "we can live!"? Conservatively, maybe 50,000?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's about 5 Trancers movies of varying quality all starring Tim Thomerson from Nemesis as the sci fi cop.
Cherry 2000 is late 80s but in line with what you're looking for.
The Demolitionist is a goofy 90s comic book version of Robocop with Nicole Eggert, Richard Grieco and a cameo from Bruce Campbell.
Doctor Mordrid is more fantasy/horror but it's got Jeffrey Combs and great effects for its time. Also was supposedly going to originally be a Dr. Strange movie but they had to change the names at the last minute.
Also, it's 1980 so it's a bit out of your date range, but check out Saturn 3. It feels like a 90s sci fi/slasher b movie but with an A cast of Farah Fawcett, Kirk Douglas and Harvey Keitel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Doctor Mordrid is more fantasy/horror but it's got Jeffrey Combs and great effects for its time. Also was supposedly going to originally be a Dr. Strange movie but they had to change the names at the last minute.

What? This looks dope as hell, it's so rad to see Combs in a role like this. How did I not know about it? Goddamn.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neither Ice Pirates or Space Truckers is streaming and it’s just... cmon!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

What? This looks dope as hell, it's so rad to see Combs in a role like this. How did I not know about it? Goddamn.

It’s kinda like the Roger Corman Fantastic Four in that it’s way better than it has any right to be but it sorta looks like a community college production designed to retain the rights. I stumbled across a Blu-Ray of it in a used bookstore for $8 and I’ve definitely gotten my money out of it. It’s a primo “watch drunk with your friends” movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gorman Thomas posted:

Charles Band Science fiction!

Arena
Zonetroopers
Trancers
Dollman
Eliminators

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Split Second and Robot Jox both loving rule.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

As someone who has watched the show several times, including a recent rewatch, I have no clue what you're talking about. Care to explain?
When Don is imagining his origins and circumstances of his birth/conception. Don's dad convinced Don's mom (a sex worker) to sleep with him without a condom saying he couldnt afford one. She warns him, afraid of getting knocked up or getting an STD: “I'm going to cut your dick off and boil it in hog fat.” (if anything bad comes of this)
She's feverishly repeating the same thing when she dies giving birth to Don, and when the midwife drops Don off to his step mom she makes a comment like "he's named after his mother's last wish"
So Dick Whitman's name is inspired by his mom's wish to castrate his dad.
At least in his own head and it's canon for me lmao

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 12, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

When Don is imagining his origins and circumstances of his birth/conception. Don's dad convinced Don's mom (a sex worker) to sleep with him without a condom saying he couldnt afford one. She warns him, afraid of getting knocked up or getting an STD: “I'm going to cut your dick off and boil it in hog fat.” (if anything bad comes of this)
She's feverishly repeating the same thing when she dies giving birth to Don, and when the midwife drops Don off to his step mom she makes a comment like "he's named after his mother's last wish"
So Dick Whitman's name is inspired by his mom's wish to castrate his dad.
At least in his own head and it's canon for me lmao

Thanks. I definitely remember that part, I think the joke just slipped past me. For a serious drama, Mad Men makes me laugh more than pretty much any other show.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nihonniboku posted:

Thanks. I definitely remember that part, I think the joke just slipped past me. For a serious drama, Mad Men makes me laugh more than pretty much any other show.

Office lawnmower
Lane and Don drunk watching Godzilla at the theater
Lane failing to off himself with his unreliable Jaguar
And of course basically any scene with Roger
off the top of my head.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Mad Men was hilarious

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mad Men was for sure the funniest show on TV at time of airing. Part of the reason is that its characters were actually funny in-world, which the vast majority of shows forget is a possibility. Like, characters making jokes to each other, rather than to the audience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Neither Ice Pirates or Space Truckers is streaming and it’s just... cmon!

Ice Pirates slaps

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I just got watched Black Christmas (1974) on Shout Factory last night. Of all the "movies to watch in October"-type threads we have on SA every Halloween, how have I never seen this mentioned? It's a really good example of an early slasher film.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Office lawnmower
Lane and Don drunk watching Godzilla at the theater
Lane failing to off himself with his unreliable Jaguar
And of course basically any scene with Roger
off the top of my head.

PIZZA HOUSE!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“Not great, BOB!”

Did Vincent Kartheiser’s hairline ever recover? I thought I read they were literally plucking it out at one point.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I just got watched Black Christmas (1974) on Shout Factory last night. Of all the "movies to watch in October"-type threads we have on SA every Halloween, how have I never seen this mentioned? It's a really good example of an early slasher film.

It really is the ur-slasher. Girls trapped in a house with a killer, obscene phone calls, useless older adults and crappy cops, all the young male characters are creepily aggressive, but the characters are actually well rounded. I wonder how shocked people were in 1974 at the thought one of the characters wanted an abortion especially a year after Roe v Wade.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/npr/status/1260243814456975363?s=21

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This is the definition of terrorism

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is the definition of terrorism

Think of it as Hamilton itself being quarantined, so the healthy population isn't exposed to it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

This is the most white thing possible. A tweet about Hamilton being posted on Disney+ reported by NPR.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

This is the most white thing possible. A tweet about Hamilton being posted on Disney+ reported by NPR.
How about if it was then being discussed by users on the Something Awful forums?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doesn't hamilton have a bunch of language? Wonder if it will be edited. Either way idgaf I don't have D+ and Hamilton has always looked lame as hell imo.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

veni veni veni posted:

Doesn't hamilton have a bunch of language? Wonder if it will be edited. Either way idgaf I don't have D+ and Hamilton has always looked lame as hell imo.

I don't have it memorized but I don't think so. It's got a bunch of almost swears like there's one song I'm thinking of when you think they are going it say "gently caress" but another character says something else over it.

"You see it was my wife you decided to..."
"What?"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mystes posted:

How about if it was then being discussed by users on the Something Awful forums?

The trifection

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
After watching and being thoroughly disappointed by DC's Titans show, I realize im still in the mood for "young girl discovers shes the dark lord / world ender / etc, adventures ensue"

Any recommendations?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

After watching and being thoroughly disappointed by DC's Titans show, I realize im still in the mood for "young girl discovers shes the dark lord / world ender / etc, adventures ensue"

Any recommendations?

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The MSJ posted:

This is a good choice.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Zero One posted:

I don't have it memorized but I don't think so. It's got a bunch of almost swears like there's one song I'm thinking of when you think they are going it say "gently caress" but another character says something else over it.

"You see it was my wife you decided to..."
"What?"

I haven't seen it but I remember seeing a tweet from someone who sincerely thought "if you don't know now you know" was original Hamilton content

I had assumed the play had the n word at the end of the lyric and the white Twitter user was omitting it, but it's funny that's a recurring theme

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rewatched Django Unchained for the first time since it came out and I forgot how ridiculous and overwrought their plan to get Broom Hilda back was. Like, they could have probably just went there and said exactly what they were doing and then offered Leo Dicaprio 2 grand for her and walked off, but I guess that would have made for a boring movie and wouldn't have allowed QT to write multiple 15 minute long monologues. Still, it was like they were trying to play 4D chess, when a relatively insignificant amount of $$$ would have probably solved all of their problems.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

Any recommendations?

Umbrella Academy.

veni veni veni posted:

Rewatched Django Unchained for the first time since it came out and I forgot how ridiculous and overwrought their plan to get Broom Hilda back was. Like, they could have probably just went there and said exactly what they were doing and then offered Leo Dicaprio 2 grand for her and walked off, but I guess that would have made for a boring movie and wouldn't have allowed QT to write multiple 15 minute long monologues. Still, it was like they were trying to play 4D chess, when a relatively insignificant amount of $$$ would have probably solved all of their problems.

It is a convoluted plan but the whole point is Calvin sees blood sport as leisure and his slaves as heirlooms. The characters deduce he’s too cruel and proud to have offered her for anything by herself, why would an affluent foreigner buy a defiant whipped slave, so that’s why they trick him into a packaged deal.

The plan would’ve worked if it wasn’t for Stephen who is a Dick Cheney type running the house from the shadows by tricking the dumb patriarch into thinking every idea is his own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The film tried to cover it's bases in that regard but I still wasn't buying it. Like, the whole point was to rope him in with the promise of over paying so I don't see why it wouldn't have worked by offering a much bigger sum for a slave he considers "worth $300'. Even if you take his demeanor into account and think they needed a cover story, Schultz rolling in alone and saying "I am german and I would like to buy your German speaking slave is" 10 times better than what they landed on.

Also, Django insisting on letting the dude get ripped apart by dogs when there was an easy way out, so he could complete his mission or whatever was stupid as gently caress and generally made him a much less sympathetic character.

It's also an hour longer than it needed to be like every QT movie for the last decade. Everything after the first big shootout felt like I was just watching QT get high off his own farts.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 13, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The MSJ posted:

Excellent season one. It somehow becomes a standard teen drama despite all the satan stuff after that.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

The film tried to cover it's bases in that regard but I still wasn't buying it. Like, the whole point was to rope him in with the promise of over paying so I don't see why it wouldn't have worked by offering a much bigger sum for a slave he considers "worth $300'. Even if you take his demeanor into account and think they needed a cover story, Schultz rolling in alone and saying "I am german and I would like to buy your German speaking slave is" 10 times better than what they landed on.

Also, Django insisting on letting the dude get ripped apart by dogs when there was an easy way out, so he could complete his mission or whatever was stupid as gently caress and generally made him a much less sympathetic character.

It's also an hour longer than it needed to be like every QT movie for the last decade. Everything after the first big shootout felt like I was just watching QT get high off his own farts.

I think Tarantino has gotten to the George Lucas point in his career where no one will tell him something in his movie is a dumb idea.

His last 3 or 4 movies could have all been edited down at least a half an hour and been just as good or better.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt interactive special was really something. It was nice to see those characters (probably) one last time. The interactive gimmick was cute. It didn't really change the plot around that much, in fact most of the time there was one choice that got the plot moving forward and any others went to a bad ending that required a redo... but that was kind of the idea. It got characters to come on and break the fourth wall and make you go back to the last choice, and there's a lot of jokes we would have missed out on if we just picked the correct choice every time.

As we started watching it, we watched the theme song and then our internet went out briefly. When it reconnected, it started playing the theme song again, so I had to press "Skip Intro". I recommend pressing that!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

You don't have to buy it, your interpretation is the correct one. Tarantino has said in multiple interviews that if they would have just walked up and asked to buy Hildy then Candie would have agreed immediately. It's a character flaw of Schultz that everything needs to be theatrical (or ridiculous and overwrought as you say).

Field Mousepad posted:

I think Tarantino has gotten to the George Lucas point in his career where no one will tell him something in his movie is a dumb idea.
Not necessarily. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood needed script revisions because Dicaprio told Quentin that there wasn't enough going on with the Rick Dalton character to actually BE a character. Apparently it was originally more like just flipping channels on TV in the 60s.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

His last 3 or 4 movies could have all been edited down at least a half an hour and been just as good or better.

Well, that's probably more a Sally Menke thing than anything. So curious how those films would have turned out with her at the editing helm.

fenix down posted:

Apparently it was originally more like just flipping channels on TV in the 60s.

That's still what it felt like to me. Fun channel-flipping, but not nearly as cohesive as it needed to be.