Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Firefox 76 (mac if that matters) has decided it doesn't want to load youtube thumbnails for me. Disabling all my addons / tracking protection doesn't do anything to fix it. Other browsers aren't having this issue, so Chrome / Safari etc but gently caress those guys.

From what I've been able to put together already it may be related to the fact that Google serve thumbnail jpgs as webp and fall back to jpg if that doesn't load but I'm hitting a wall as to what I can do to actually fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Did you try emptying the cache?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kassad posted:

Did you try emptying the cache?

Yeah, should have mentioned that in the post.

I should mention that it still shows the snippets on hover too so stuff is loading it's just not showing the still thumbnail.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Sometimes youtube's UI goes totally broken and you have to clear cookies as well to fix it. (That isn't just a firefox problem either, had it happen on vivaldi which is my YT browser.)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Speaking of youtube, does anyone know of a way to stop fullscreen youtube videos from scrolling? Haven't been able to find an addon/script myself.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Speaking of youtube, does anyone know of a way to stop fullscreen youtube videos from scrolling? Haven't been able to find an addon/script myself.

What do you mean by stop them from scrolling?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

astral posted:

What do you mean by stop them from scrolling?

When you're in a fullscreen video, you can still scroll down and see the description, links, and comments.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

When you're in a fullscreen video, you can still scroll down and see the description, links, and comments.

Whoa; didn't know that was a thing. Guess I've never tried to scroll it.

e: apparently it has been since 2018

e2: A quick search found some old comments discussing using user scripts to disable it: https://old.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/9ky45x/how_to_disable_the_new_full_screen_feature_scroll/ebdpwlv/

astral fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 12, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
for about a month now ive been running into a weird issue where if i have a bunch of tabs open for a few hours pages just start loading like my video card is about to die, artifacting everywhere, pieces of the page phasing in and out. it doesn't affect any other program, there's no temperature issues with the gpu, im not overclocking/everything is stable and if i forcequit one of the fifteen firefox.exe processes open (and its not the main one) the problem usually goes away for a couple hours

its not the end of the world but it gets annoying at times. has anyone else run into this? still on win 7 if that makes a diff

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I get it every so often, mostly when I'm doing something intensive in some other process.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Oh well, it turns out that mutationobservers fire after the attribute has been inserted so now my timeline just blinks in and out of existence and I can't find the actual stule declaration anywhere in the dom inspector or the css tab because as it turns out, firefox's developer tools are actually kind of poo poo. (the css tab has no "find in all files" as far as I can tell)

I was thinking maybe I could maybe just remove the stylesheet completely. I guess Twitter wins :shrug:

Update: it was actually ublock origin. I placed an attribute breakpoint on the element and found it out that way. The specific filter was
code:
twitter.com##span:has-text(/^推荐|Promoted|Gesponsert|Реклама|Promocionado|Sponsorisé|Uitgelicht|プロモーション$/):upward(5)
I'm guessing this works on the new UI or more people would be upset about it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Sometimes youtube's UI goes totally broken and you have to clear cookies as well to fix it. (That isn't just a firefox problem either, had it happen on vivaldi which is my YT browser.)

Never experienced this, ever. Are you sure it's not some Extension messing things up for you?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have no extensions that could cause it. (uBlock doesn't really gently caress with that level.)

At least one recurring Nvidia bug causes behavior like that. They've still not quite squashed it and it's been around for at least two years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lambert posted:

Never experienced this, ever. Are you sure it's not some Extension messing things up for you?

google for youtube sidebar missing

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e- wrong thread.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 12, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WHAT

THE gently caress

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah it's been a thing for a couple years now. i noticed pretty quickly because my normal video player scrolls through the video with mousewheel

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Am I the only one who really dislikes that feature? :ohdear:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

No. It's a garbage feature.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's loving trash. It also does it in the app.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's pretty benign though. I'd prefer if they replaced with scroll for volume control but eh.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I very much like it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lambert posted:

I very much like it.

:mods:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Users are more likely to stay engaged if they click on a video they hate then can scroll through comments they despise when they don’t hate the video enough.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Speaking of Youtube fuckery, is anyone else experiencing this issue where you click the "Unsubscribe" button and the screen grays out as if it's trying to present the "Are you sure?" modal, but the modal never actually appears?

And much less of a problem (probably a good thing, honestly) but comments don't load either. Like there's just no text there whatsoever. Cursor remains a pointer rather than as if I'm pointing at text, can't click'n'drag to highlight invisible text, nothing. I'm not using Stylish or anything like that - my only plugins are ublock origin, reddit enhancement suite, and facebook container.

Clearing cookies fixed neither :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Turn off uBlock long enough to test YouTube?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Huh. poo poo. Yea uBlock is doing it, but I've been using it for years... Weird...

e; I removed my filters some of the random elements on the homepage that were bugging me and now it seems to be working fine. Very odd.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 14, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

:aaa:

I.... I........

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

stevewm posted:

:aaa:

I.... I........
Yes, browsers were a mistake.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So here's a weird issue, I've found that Firefox somewhat frequently loses focus to itself. What I mean is that the frontmost active window becomes inactive (the only visual cue to this is that the text in the active tab becomes greyed out for NO apparent reason). I thought it might be some invisible Windows process that hijacks it but it just happened and I pressed alt to see if a menu would appear and it did, only it was Firefox's own menu. What's up with that?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does Firefox have it's own built-in Dark Mode yet? The phone is still blinding me at night, and the desktop version's 3rd party dark mode add-in fucks up a lot of sites.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Zero VGS posted:

Does Firefox have it's own built-in Dark Mode yet? The phone is still blinding me at night, and the desktop version's 3rd party dark mode add-in fucks up a lot of sites.
Firefox has supported the prefers color scheme @media query for a while. I believe it even supported it before Chrome. Though all this will do is switch to a dark mode if the website has one coded. Forcing a dark mode on websites that don't have one coded, or a dark mode of Firefox's UI is something different.

EDIT: though I see from my own link that it's not yet supported on Firefox for Android? I thought part of the point of the new version was feature parity...

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 15, 2020

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yes, browsers were a mistake.

That behavior, believe it or not, is intentional. It's new as of a few months back, and is explicitly coded in. Previously it did a more traditional video fullscreen behavior, but this new approach is "better".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

biznatchio posted:

That behavior, believe it or not, is intentional. It's new as of a few months back, and is explicitly coded in. Previously it did a more traditional video fullscreen behavior, but this new approach is "better".
I know it's intentional, I'm saying I don't like it.
It's also been rolled out a lot longer than a few months.

The thing is, what's stopping it from being used elsewhere to trap users in seemingly-infinitely-recursing websites, or to MITM stuff?
It's quite trivial to design something that looks like a browser, presumably, and there are plenty of people who wouldn't look twice if the browser only changed slightly.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
I think it's a pretty neat feature :shrug:

It doesn't take any functionality away and allows you to quickly check the upcoming video or description without having to go out of fullscreen. Frankly I find the strong reactions to this quite bewildering. I can understand it when they decide to make yet another UI change for the sake of it or remove yet another piece of customizability, but this of all things is either an improvement if you use it or doesn't affect you at all if you don't.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

I know it's intentional, I'm saying I don't like it.
It's also been rolled out a lot longer than a few months.

The thing is, what's stopping it from being used elsewhere to trap users in seemingly-infinitely-recursing websites, or to MITM stuff?
It's quite trivial to design something that looks like a browser, presumably, and there are plenty of people who wouldn't look twice if the browser only changed slightly.

You've been able to make an in-page click put the entire page full screen for a decade now, and I don't think it's caused any horrible problems so far.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SirViver posted:

It doesn't take any functionality away and allows you to quickly check the upcoming video or description without having to go out of fullscreen. Frankly I find the strong reactions to this quite bewildering. I can understand it when they decide to make yet another UI change for the sake of it or remove yet another piece of customizability, but this of all things is either an improvement if you use it or doesn't affect you at all if you don't.

1. Previously scroll would raise/lower volume, ie the same thing that scroll has done with standalone video apps since original Windows Media Player. Volume is way more useful.

2. Fullscreening a video is different intention to having a fullscreen browser. You can fullscreen by pressing F11 and have a big video + page junk.

3. On my craptop with a cheap, kinda over-sensitive touchpad I occasionally get an unintentional scroll, now the video is partly off the screen. It's the craptop's fault but it's very annoying and cheap touchpads are common.

OTOH this is a youtube problem not firefox. (And I suspect is about tablet & mobile use, not desktop.)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

D. Ebdrup posted:

Nothing, really. Fullscreen browser windows can't trap the Esc key (it always removes the page from fullscreen mode), same with the F11 key, and putting the mouse pointer near the top center of the screen will cause a prompt to slide down telling the user how to exit fullscreen mode, but other than that an unscrupulous developer could just go hog wild with it.

But this isn't exactly new functionality. This is all 10+ years old.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

SirViver posted:

I think it's a pretty neat feature :shrug:

Im almost always playing games while watching youtube, and some games don't truly "lock" the cursor to their screen, so scrolling in the game shoots the youtube window down to the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Klyith posted:

1. Previously scroll would raise/lower volume, ie the same thing that scroll has done with standalone video apps since original Windows Media Player. Volume is way more useful.

Oh ok, I'll give you that. I didn't know that was a thing. I've always just moused over the volume bar and used the scroll wheel there.

Im almost always playing games while watching youtube, and some games don't truly "lock" the cursor to their screen, so scrolling in the game shoots the youtube window down to the comments.

As opposed to previously where it then apparently made the volume go up or down? But fair enough. I guess as a workaround you can use picture-in-picture mode and maximize that instead.

Actually, I searched a bit and it seems this extension brings volume-on-scroll instead of page scroll functionality back - optionally also only when using right-click and scroll - plus a whole bunch of other configurable stuff you might or might not want.