Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Costco still delivers yo!

Depending upon what you buy, it might take weeks though. I was talking to my brother over the weekend, and he ordered 2 cases of the ready to use formula in April, and they still have an estimated delivery date of May 15th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Do they deliver huge TVs?

Mine is still fine. I got a 55" 4K TV at Costco for about $800-900 in 2015. I think they've gone down since then. I don't know I haven't looked into TV prices or technologies in 5 years. I'm getting my trumpbux soon so I wonder if I should get a new TV or more guns or something.

Also donating to Democrats running against Republicans around the country.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Lol i bought a 42" plasma Panasonic hd tv from Costco in like 2008-9 for $600 and i still got it! Weighs a ton. Works great for my moms room. Sucks up like 1,000000,000 watts

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Lol i bought a 42" plasma Panasonic hd tv from Costco in like 2008-9 for $600 and i still got it! Weighs a ton. Works great for my moms room. Sucks up like 1,000000,000 watts

Same, except it's a 50" 720p set.

It has burn-in from Rocket League and the pixels are the size of your fist but it's used to infrequently that I haven't had the need to replace it yet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Do they deliver huge TVs?
Yes as far as I know.

$1200 trumpbux can buy a 65 Vizio PQX or you can save up for an OLED. I just got one (not from the co, sadly) and it's every bit as amazing as the reviews say it is.

They might not be able to do White Glove delivery, tho.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I got a TV from Costco three weeks ago- the delivery company will set it on your porch or in your garage but not come inside the house.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

strangehamster posted:

I got a TV from Costco three weeks ago- the delivery company will set it on your porch or in your garage but not come inside the house.

What about three flights of super narrow stairs?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Whats even a good tv? Nothing makes sense.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Jubs posted:

Delivery company, at discretion, may push you down the stairs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BONGHITZ posted:

Whats even a good tv? Nothing makes sense.

TCL is a real good cheap as poo poo TV with good image quality for the price, generally the go-to. Ive had some iffy software issues with the Roku OS though but it's an older model.

Also the speakers are absolute trash so you'll want to buy a Soundbar anyways.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xaris posted:

TCL is a real good cheap as poo poo TV with good image quality for the price, generally the go-to. Ive had some iffy software issues with the Roku OS though but it's an older model.

TCL is actually one of the best Smart TV implementations because they just farm the OS out to Roku. I'm sure you have run into problems but it's downhill from there with most other brands' in-house implementations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paul MaudDib posted:

TCL is actually one of the best Smart TV implementations because they just farm the OS out to Roku. I'm sure you have run into problems but it's downhill from there with most other brands' in-house implementations.

Yeah I don't doubt it. Generally my big issue is that with a soundbar, there's some desync when using Roku OS apps like Plex or even YouTube. I use ARC HDMI but have tried Optical to same effect, even changign different sound modes to like PCM-Stereo only helps a little bit, and trust me, I've spent like loving hours trying to pour over settings to fix it.. When I run something directly like a PS4/Switch over HDMI it's fine, so it's definitely something fucky with the Roku OS but oh well. I've managed to tweak it so it's pretty close but seems to drift and lag requiring a periodic reset

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm sure you have run into problems but it's downhill from there with most other brands' in-house implementations.
The worst is the hodgepodge of app compatability.

Oh so I can get Pluto TV on a Samsung but not an LG? Same for the PBS Kids app?

Roku solves a lot of that, thankfully.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
There's a panel lottery with TCL though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jubs posted:

This was much funnier when I read it in your avatar's voice.

Paul MaudDib posted:

TCL is actually one of the best Smart TV implementations because they just farm the OS out to Roku.

Yeah, I recently spent $140 at Best Buy for a 32" TCL for my spare bedroom, and its interface and "smartness" make my old 65" plasma look positively pre-historic.

FCKGW posted:

Same, except it's a 50" 720p set.

It has burn-in from Rocket League and the pixels are the size of your fist but it's used to infrequently that I haven't had the need to replace it yet.

I have one of the last plasmas Costco sold, it's full 1020. Still looks good, but almost no streaming options, and even the OTA TV interface is primitive compared to the TCL.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

The TCL Roku TV is the only Smart TV I've ever liked. The interface is far and away snappier than any other Smart TV i've used, and it's almost as good as a dumb TV.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Those old plasmas are pretty legendary for image quality. Even now it's hard to match them without going into the Oleds

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I might get a Costco membership. What is the best way to procure one without going into a Costco?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JK Fresco posted:

Those old plasmas are pretty legendary for image quality. Even now it's hard to match them without going into the Oleds

I bought the last iteration of a 60" Panasonic plasma and it is absolute gorgeous. I will be so sad when it dies on me.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Synthetic Dreams posted:

I might get a Costco membership. What is the best way to procure one without going into a Costco?

You can order membership on their website. Here's their instructions. They say that you need to visit a Costco location to pick up your cards but maybe they can make an exception in these times, doesn't hurt to give them a call first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xaris posted:

Yeah, just don’t use the built in apps and don’t connect the TV itself to your network and you’re golden. You should be using an external source anyway tho.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Buy a fire TV or an Android box, most smart TV implementations are garbage. A good TV will last a long time, just upgrade your streaming box as necessary over the years

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
XBONE
PS4
Chromecast
AppleTV
Roku

...all better options than built in data harvesting/insecure smartTV OS’s

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I bought a 58" Vizio 4k UHD ($299) and the Yamaha sound bar($99) for $420 otd from Costco last month. The tv wont hold wifi settings, so I have been using a PS4. Works great that way.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

XBONE
PS4
Chromecast
AppleTV
Roku

...all better options than built in data harvesting/insecure smartTV OS’s

Nvidia Shield is supposed to be good as well. But pretty sure everything data harvest unless you run a pi-hole.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Coredump posted:

Nvidia Shield is supposed to be good as well. But pretty sure everything data harvest unless you run a pi-hole.

The Nvidia Shield is the be-all, end-all Plex server/HTPC/home streaming device. It is 100% worth the price, and I am a person obsessed with points of diminishing return.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The Nvidia Shield is the be-all, end-all Plex server/HTPC/home streaming device. It is 100% worth the price, and I am a person obsessed with points of diminishing return.

I would recommend against the non-pro 2019 Shield (the tube version).It runs on 32-bit android and has issues outputting 4k resolution on some apps without stuttering. Sadly the Pro version seems to be sold out of most retailers right now, but if you can find a 2017 shield they are still great devices.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Yeah the Shield Pro owns extremely hard and let me shove my stupid-rear end HTPC in the closet where it belongs

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

I would recommend against the non-pro 2019 Shield (the tube version).It runs on 32-bit android and has issues outputting 4k resolution on some apps without stuttering. Sadly the Pro version seems to be sold out of most retailers right now, but if you can find a 2017 shield they are still great devices.

Yes, I should have been more specific. The Shield TV Pro is what I was referring to. Definitely keep an eye out for when then come back in stock.

Fallom posted:

Yeah the Shield Pro owns extremely hard and let me shove my stupid-rear end HTPC in the closet where it belongs

Seriously. Last year I was planning out an HTPC build, but the more research I did, the "Just buy a Shield because nothing else compares and you will be disappointed otherwise" message became clearer and clearer. I saved up and bought a Shield TV Pro and I've never regretted it.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 12, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I had trouble getting a non smart TV. Mine is hooked to my computer, and it's the living room video game / streaming solution.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I had trouble getting a non smart TV. Mine is hooked to my computer, and it's the living room video game / streaming solution.

Yeah, you won’t be able to since the current crop of budget models is so cheap largely because they subsidize the cost with data sales.

Nobody specifically looks for a “dumb” TV anymore unless they have a desire/need for one (and now a lot of those are being sold as monitors/to enterprise rather than consumer TVs) and your average buyer is going to see the smart features as a selling point rather than a redundancy or potential liability. The cost of adding the parts is trivial.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Macaroni maze. Ages 3 and up

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

Yeah I don't doubt it. Generally my big issue is that with a soundbar, there's some desync when using Roku OS apps like Plex or even YouTube. I use ARC HDMI but have tried Optical to same effect, even changign different sound modes to like PCM-Stereo only helps a little bit, and trust me, I've spent like loving hours trying to pour over settings to fix it.. When I run something directly like a PS4/Switch over HDMI it's fine, so it's definitely something fucky with the Roku OS but oh well. I've managed to tweak it so it's pretty close but seems to drift and lag requiring a periodic reset

I had to get a receiver to work around the audio lag on my TCL set. When I got the TV, I wanted to run everything right to the TV, then use ARC to push audio to my older non-4k/hdr receiver. No matter what I did, significant lag. I’m hoping HMDI 2.1 and eARC fixes that this year.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, you won’t be able to since the current crop of budget models is so cheap largely because they subsidize the cost with data sales.

Nobody specifically looks for a “dumb” TV anymore unless they have a desire/need for one (and now a lot of those are being sold as monitors/to enterprise rather than consumer TVs) and your average buyer is going to see the smart features as a selling point rather than a redundancy or potential liability. The cost of adding the parts is trivial.

Only dumb TVs I can find anymore are professional displays that cost 2-3x a regular set. It’s easier to just not connect a set to the network if that’s an issue.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 12, 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

All TVs are dumb TVs if they are never put online.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LethalGeek posted:

All TVs are dumb TVs if they are never put online.

5G IOT is going to push the costs of integrating and activating a 5G modem right on the TV for telemetry and maybe advertising down into literally the single-digit dollars, so it really won't matter for too much longer whether you plug it in or not

(also, they can make deals with comcast/spectrum/etc to use the wifi hotspots nearby if you or any of your neighbors use the company-provided router-modem)

most people will plug it into the network, but it's getting cheaper and easier to send back telemetry even they don't

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 12, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

5G IOT is going to push the costs of integrating and activating a 5G modem right on the TV for telemetry and maybe advertising down into literally the single-digit dollars, so it really won't matter for too much longer whether you plug it in or not

most people will plug it into the network, but it's getting cheaper and cheaper to send back telemetry even they don't

welcome to the new death

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Not if we pull down all the 5g towers

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

All this talk about the Shield Pro and I went to look for one and they're discontinued sad face.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Quarantine has me doing experimental stuff, highly recommend doing chicken bakes in the toaster oven. Previously, I'd discovered the magic of defrosting them in the refrigerator overnight before microwaving them, but toaster oven makes a nice, crispy crust.

Next step will be defrosting then making in the toaster oven. Also, Church had Waterloo sparkling water on the cheap, if you like your sparkling water sweet, it's quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

CitizenKain posted:

I had to get a receiver to work around the audio lag on my TCL set. When I got the TV, I wanted to run everything right to the TV, then use ARC to push audio to my older non-4k/hdr receiver. No matter what I did, significant lag. I’m hoping HMDI 2.1 and eARC fixes that this year.
Can you explain what you did exactly? I don't really want to upgrade my TV and Soundbar just 2.1/eARC though (unless it's somehow retroactive?, i dont know much about these things)

I'm interested in this Shield thing, is that basically a replacement for the Roku OS in a a way that plugs into an HDMI port and then runs everything through that like a console?