Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mine seems to be unaffected. Phew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nrook posted:

Time to buy Strange Journey so I can experience Eridanus again.

loving not.
NOT!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wish Atlus would realize they could make bank with bundled HD ports/remasters of the Digital Devil Saga duology, or the two Raidou Kuzunoha games.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Put the devil survivor games on the switch. I'm too lazy to take out my 3DS nowadays

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

Put the devil survivor games on the switch. I'm too lazy to take out my 3DS nowadays
It's still hilarious to me that, pound for pound, I can play my 3DS for like 5 to 6 hours before worrying about the battery on long trips, whereas if I try to play my switch on mobile mode for the same purposes, 3 hours is the absolute limit.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Junpei posted:

I wish Atlus would realize they could make bank with bundled HD ports/remasters of the Digital Devil Saga duology, or the two Raidou Kuzunoha games.

I dunno, neither of those sound like Persona games

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any Devil Summoner tips for a Yung hitta who isn’t super familiar with the franchise? I dug our my 3DS to play during phone meetings.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is persona dancing all night worth $20? The psn has it on sale but I haven’t heard anything about either game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the song lists are insanely barren and the rhythm game doesnt feel great. and the storys bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, I thought the recent Persona dancing game didn't have any story. Wasn't that the one that bombed hard, too?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

fadam posted:

Any Devil Summoner tips for a Yung hitta who isn’t super familiar with the franchise? I dug our my 3DS to play during phone meetings.

By Devil Summoner on 3DS are you talking about Soul Hackers? It has been a few years since I played it but so details are a bit fuzzy.

It's on the easy side as far as SMT games go, but being a port of an older game there are some weird cumbersome game mechanics in it.

Firstly like all SMT games you should always be recruting new demons and fusing them instead of trying to stick with the same ones for a long time. In particular it's an older SMT game so your demons will not level up and learn new skills.

Until your demons reach max loyalty you have to pay attention to their personality when giving them commands. Giving them commands they like will make them happier (raise loyalty) and on the flipside sometimes demons will ignore your commands if they don't like them. Stolen from GameFAQs:

Wild - Physical attacks

Sly - Magic attacks

Kind - Healing magic and guarding

Calm - Whatever move makes sense given the circumstances

Dumb - "GO" instead of directly commanding

Also when you are asked a question about Hitomi's personality in the beginning of the game, depending on your answer the set of spells that Nemissa will learn will be different.

Also if you need money you can exchange some of your Magnetite for money at Somatic Energy Institute. Not all of it because your demons consume magnetite every step while they are summoned, but mostly you will have some excess left over that you can sell.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wark Say posted:

Wait, I thought the recent Persona dancing game didn't have any story. Wasn't that the one that bombed hard, too?

I think he's referring to the Persona 4 dancing game, which did have story. The 3 and 5 dancing games didn't really have story, but they do have some fun vignette scenes that you can find on Youtube.

I haven't even played the dancing games and I can tell you that they're not really worth it, specifically because the entire game can be enjoyed just as much just by cracking out Youtube. They all have a few good songs and a couple of endearing vignettes, all of which you can find online, and you don't really gain anything by playing.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

gonna quote this for the "what should I know before I play" thread. hope that's alright!

Item Getter posted:

By Devil Summoner on 3DS are you talking about Soul Hackers? It has been a few years since I played it but so details are a bit fuzzy.

It's on the easy side as far as SMT games go, but being a port of an older game there are some weird cumbersome game mechanics in it.

Firstly like all SMT games you should always be recruting new demons and fusing them instead of trying to stick with the same ones for a long time. In particular it's an older SMT game so your demons will not level up and learn new skills.

Until your demons reach max loyalty you have to pay attention to their personality when giving them commands. Giving them commands they like will make them happier (raise loyalty) and on the flipside sometimes demons will ignore your commands if they don't like them. Stolen from GameFAQs:

Wild - Physical attacks

Sly - Magic attacks

Kind - Healing magic and guarding

Calm - Whatever move makes sense given the circumstances

Dumb - "GO" instead of directly commanding

Also when you are asked a question about Hitomi's personality in the beginning of the game, depending on your answer the set of spells that Nemissa will learn will be different.

Also if you need money you can exchange some of your Magnetite for money at Somatic Energy Institute. Not all of it because your demons consume magnetite every step while they are summoned, but mostly you will have some excess left over that you can sell.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

By Devil Summoner I meant Devil Survivor!! Sorry for the confusion lol.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

fadam posted:

it's been too long since I played it to offer any reliable advice so I'll just link this

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Devil_Survivor_Overclocked

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, got it. I forgot completely that P3 and P5 got dancing games.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
P4D is worth picking up if you can find it super cheap, really like the investigation team and don't mind visual novel storytelling in your rhythm games. It's fun in a popcorn way. P3 / P5 dancing are horrible, don't spend money on them.

Honestly, I'd rather just pick up any Yakuza game because the karaoke is equally if not more fun and you get a yakuza game with it, too.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
also i'm having a shitload of fun with persona Q2, good lord it's good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

All 3 dancing games are like $21 right now

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

fadam posted:

I thought maybe you did, SMT certainly has tons of sub series with confusingly similar names.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wark Say posted:

Ah, got it. I forgot completely that P3 and P5 got dancing games.

I'd recommend looking up their soundtracks. There's very few remixes that are boringly bad, they're almost all at least kinda fun to hear what they did, even if they're awful.

I'd say that P3D has the better soundtrack overall, but for whatever reason, almost all of its standouts are from the other games. Basically everything it gets from P3P or Q is kind of a knockout, and I think the best track on either of them is the DLC remix of Arena Ultimax's main theme.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
P3's hiphop/pop-infused soundtrack lends itself better to remixes than P5. They also got Hideki Naganuma to do one of the P3 tracks and it's a loving banger.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Kitajoh consistently do the best remixes, whoever they are.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tired Moritz posted:

Kitajoh consistently do the best remixes, whoever they are.

I just looked this up because I was curious, too. It's Atsushi Kitajoh, who's mostly done stuff in the Persona games alongside Meguro, but he did do Growlanser VI. He's apparently mostly a general 'sound design' guy, but there's also one or two instances where that's a credit but 'composer' isn't, so we can kind of assume he did both there; he's in the credits for the only Trauma Center game that Meguro doesn't appear in the credits for at all, New Blood, so he probably did that music.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm really glad Persona 2 came to mind while I'm still in my 90s mood. I've been watching X-Files and reading World of Darkness splatbooks and just generally immersing myself in 90s culture. Specifically the conspiracy culture that was big at the time and was in a lot of media.

I thought of it as an American thing but it clearly permeated other countries and cultures because, and now getting back to the point, Persona 2 is rife with all the cliches. Innocent Sin has the Mayan Aliens and secret Nazis and the general silliness of how the entire plot was started by ridiculous conspiracy theories. And EP's villain faction is of course literally named the New World Order.

When I first played IS I was actually dismissive of what I thought was a very "serious" plot. Stuff like Sudou's ramblings that were cryptic to the point of making no sense. But when I gave the game a second try, I realized this was intentional. We're not supposed to take any of this ludicrous story seriously as it was all the delusions of two adults and one traumatized little boy.

And the adults, at least Jun's father, were well-intentioned. The critique of this conspiracy stuff wasn't that it was made by terrible people but more that powerless people were inventing them to try and figure out a way to help. I've thought about this before but never in the context of wider 90s fiction. P2 is an indictment of much of that fiction.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 30, 2020

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Playing Devil Survivor Overclocked, really fun game this time around. The easy mode has been a godsend, not so easy that it takes out all the challenge, but it takes out the edge that kept me from really getting anywhere past Day 2 the other times I've tried. Other than that the VA is solid, even on the third time through the opening is pretty strong, and I'm finally actually enjoying the combat lol

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Quick question for you folks, I'm going through P5 for the first time and trying to minimize Mementos visits because holy crap there's too much to do. I'm in early June and have the bully and S&M requests ready to do, but Mishima mentioned a third one (Shibuya Terror, I think?) that didn't create a request. Can I activate it before I go, or do I need to finish the two I've got now to advance his confidant thing before he'll give me more fetch quests?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
You can activate it before you go. I don't remember if it's just a matter of waiting or asking around.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Edit: poo poo, wrong thread

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 9, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

is nocturne the one where you're supposed to just powerlevel your strength? because i just started it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amppelix posted:

is nocturne the one where you're supposed to just powerlevel your strength? because i just started it

Magic is really good but the final boss in one of the endings is built around Strength. Everything else is halved or something and so a fight with him takes like 30+ minutes unless you are equipped with high Strength and a certain skill.

There is one boss that Repels all Physical damage and he's not optional so watch out for that.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 12, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ah, and i assume this one ending is the true demon one which everyone always picks

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amppelix posted:

ah, and i assume this one ending is the true demon one which everyone always picks

Yes indeed. I didn't think it was anything too special but you get some extra story and gameplay out of it so why not.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got up to the last boss for TDE then went nah and got the Strength ending

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If I had any inclination to play Nocturne right now I'd probably go with Musubi. I'd have to follow a guide though, it feels like it be pretty hard to get.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 12, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nocturne seems like a Pretty Goof Game! Who knew!

I still don't like negotiations though, and how they're entirely random bullshit that pretends to not be so.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

TDE is the best ending, and definitely the canon one considering the easter egg in DDS, imo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I should mention that the special ability you need to defeat the TDE final boss is locked behind I think a Level 95 door. Well it's more like you need to be Level 95 to fuse the demon that lets you through the door to get the ability.

The strongest normal enemies in the game are high Level 70s or maybe just Level 80. You will be grinding for a long, long time to get to a high enough Level to fuse that demon, open that door and get that ability.

Persona 3 was somehow smarter than Nocturne and Strange Journey in that it gave you a dedicated grinding spot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Varinn posted:

TDE is the best ending, and definitely the canon one considering the easter egg in DDS, imo.

Lol there's no such thing as canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol there's no such thing as canon.

i mean yeah but listen let me dream in the world where permanent revolution against god is the reality.

NikkolasKing posted:

I should mention that the special ability you need to defeat the TDE final boss is locked behind I think a Level 95 door. Well it's more like you need to be Level 95 to fuse the demon that lets you through the door to get the ability.

The strongest normal enemies in the game are high Level 70s or maybe just Level 80. You will be grinding for a long, long time to get to a high enough Level to fuse that demon, open that door and get that ability.

Persona 3 was somehow smarter than Nocturne and Strange Journey in that it gave you a dedicated grinding spot.

95 is just to get it on your demons, not the demi-fiend. honestly you can do that fight around level 80 and be fine