Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Count Roland posted:

It's not exactly favourable coverage they're getting. I'd find it very surprising if those protests had a measurable affect on these numbers.

How much of Trump's hundreds of millions of dollars of free advertisement in 2016 was positive? It doesn't matter how it's spun, the people feeling this way are just hearing "you aren't alone in feeling this way, look at all these protestors" no matter what the talking heads are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

zedprime posted:

100% yeah. But you're triggering my inner pedant.

i don’t think there are any “inner” pedants in the nearly 300 page pyf graph thread

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

80% of the time I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I just take my cue from other goons and add a 'lol' or 'lmao what a bad graph', hoping that no one will notice that I don't understand statistics

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

80% of the time I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I just take my cue from other goons and add a 'lol' or 'lmao what a bad graph', hoping that no one will notice that I don't understand statistics

Have you considered a career in consulting?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Ah, so which college are you employed as a Dean in?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Which DC think tank are you a part of?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Which circuit are you a judge in?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Talkie Toaster posted:

Well, except there isn’t an actual function there- it’s just saying ‘r and no of infections will decide when we reopen’ but dressing it up as A Science Equation rather than a political choice.
So they can say "we're following the science" as they continue to try to get everyone infected for the glory of daddy nurgle.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/jd_wilko/status/1260172850343882754

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
So why did they stop testing men toward the end?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Platystemon posted:

So it is a useful graph

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Platystemon posted:

Looks like there were ~220 women and ~170 men and both had their own set of ids.

For example, there seems to be 50 blue and 50 green dots between 0 and 50

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:wtc:

code:
digraph "Elsewhere" {
    splines=ortho;
    start [label="Lost your job", shape=box];
    end [label="You are insured", shape=box];

insured [label="Do you have insurance?", shape=diamond];
    silly [label="Don't be silly", shape=box];

start -> insured;
    insured -> silly [xlabel="No"];
    insured -> end [xlabel="Yes"];
    silly -> end;
}

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This doesn't display for me in-thread for some reason.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

This one is just a reflection of a bad underlying system though.

"Do you want to bet that Congress will fully subsidize COBRA?"

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

This is an interesting case where the figure description gives me all the information I need and the figure does nothing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah if anything the graphic just makes it more confusing which is the exact opposite of what a figure illustration is supposed to do.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:vince:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah if anything the graphic just makes it more confusing which is the exact opposite of what a figure illustration is supposed to do.

In my technical field I work with reactive power. I've heard many analogies to explain the concept of reactive power. However, I've always found that I need to use my understanding of the concept to understand the analogy, which is the opposite of what an analogy I'd supposed to do.

These figures feels like that but worse. I can't even use my understanding of confirmation bias to explain what is going on in that second figure.

Nevermind, everything clicks now.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jjack229 posted:

In my technical field I work with reactive power. I've heard many analogies to explain the concept of reactive power. However, I've always found that I need to use my understanding of the concept to understand the analogy, which is the opposite of what an analogy I'd supposed to do.

These figures feels like that but worse. I can't even use my understanding of confirmation bias to explain what is going on in that second figure.

What the diagram claims is happening: the diagram identifies relevant concepts and recieves, analyses and communicates information about them.

What really happens: the diagram claims to be connected to concepts, but makes random shapes interpreted by the reader, who in fact is the one who makes all the connections between those shapes and a familiar concept (either relevant or about Pac-Man)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1260946980710350855

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Interesting way to note "no data" for Washington DC

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1260946980710350855/photo/3

That 7 day "average" in the 3rd image is either incorrectly calculated or deliberately massaged to make the dropoff seem steeper. The data points at April 14th and 22nd in particular aren't the average of 7 days in any direction, they are way too high.

At best, the curve is flattened, and probably not as a peak but as a plateau.

E: and why did they only calculate every 7th day when it would be mathematically trivial to do it every single day, which would give a more nuanced representation of the data? That graph's got an agenda.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 18:16 on May 14, 2020

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Interesting way to note "no data" for Washington DC

No way the results would be that diverse. Im fairly sure this is again one of these “actually only looking at statistical fluctuation and then making up everything” maps.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Plastik posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1260946980710350855/photo/3

That 7 day "average" in the 3rd image is either incorrectly calculated or deliberately massaged to make the dropoff seem steeper. The data points at April 14th and 22nd in particular aren't the average of 7 days in any direction, they are way too high.

At best, the curve is flattened, and probably not as a peak but as a plateau.

E: and why did they only calculate every 7th day when it would be mathematically trivial to do it every single day, which would give a more nuanced representation of the data? That graph's got an agenda.

The author is a member of the American Enterprise Institute, a "nonpartisan" think tank who's primary agenda is justifying Republican policy.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Honj Steak posted:

No way the results would be that diverse. Im fairly sure this is again one of these “actually only looking at statistical fluctuation and then making up everything” maps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Now exclude New York and show the graph. :thunk:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Big fan of this reply:

https://twitter.com/nathannotts/status/1260959911585906696

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
after "peak"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

It’s a peak in the same way that this is the highest point in Oklahoma.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
And then you walk awhile more and get to colorado

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

And then you walk awhile more and get to colorado

That's gerrymandering and first past the post for ya.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't have twitter so feel free to steal, but look at the axis labels on the left and right of the 7 day average chart.
The two line graphs are on a different scale

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If this pandemic has been good for anything, it's showing how most people have zero understanding of statistics, or charts even.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lmao what a bad graph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

If this pandemic has been good for anything, it's showing how most people have zero understanding of statistics, or charts even.

https://twitter.com/wesbury/status/1260953399937376256?s=21