Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Whenever the topic of family annihilators comes up I instantly think of the sister of Charlie Brandt sounding very sad when she recalls that he screamed that she promised not to leave him when she went to the neighbors for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Sarcopenia posted:

Whenever the topic of family annihilators comes up I instantly think of the sister of Charlie Brandt sounding very sad when she recalls that he screamed that she promised not to leave him when she went to the neighbors for help.

:(

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I've just finished a documentary on notorious sleazeball Peter Popoff.

How is he unnerving you may ask? Well, let me give you a few choice points from the video. He's been at this since he was a kid, and his dad George seems to be very much the same kind of grifter as Pete. They say they came over to the States to escape Nazi Germany in 1950 (?????) but apparently it was more like they were run out of town for their bogus claims of miracle work. It's very much a family business.

In the 1980s they started their infamous TV show where Peter does crazy poo poo like calling out people's names and home addresses along with illnesses they have. You've probably seen the guy who puts his hands on old ladies foreheads in big sermons then gets them to start dancing out of their wheelchair. His so called "healing". This is all bullshit; his wife would get their info before the show and offer them a wheelchair if they looked a bit limp, then make a point of having Peter call on them throw an earpiece. I talked to the magician Banachek who helped the Amazing Randi bust Peter back in the day and he told me they noticed Peter's earpiece during a show one time. It's a logical question to ask why a guy who gets God to heal others would need a hearing aid, so it was obviously some kind of radio transmitter that made the scam work.

This isn't the worst of it though; despite the fact that Peter gets terribly injured or disabled people to do acrobatics for him under an adrenaline rush from the crowds, he also breaks canes and throws away vital medications - all for the show of it. These aren't actors he's doing it to either; they're real people who are often pretty desperate and are being taken advantage of when Peter passes the donation plate around.

Peter's wife was the one feeding the information through the radio, and boy was she ever something behind the scenes. She and the others in the operations booth would make jokes about women with breast cancer, and casually throw around slurs when describing who Peter should call on next. And even though Peter was busted in the 80's, he managed a comeback years later by redirecting his programme to an African-American and Carribbean audience, one that likely wasn't aware of his past schemes (or the blatant racism that clearly was casual between the couple). There is way more detail in the video, so I'll leave these as just a few teasers, but bottom line: Peter Popoff is a symptom of predatory greed.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I was super excite when that showed up on my feed. Thank you for all the good stuff you’re doing.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

I was super excite when that showed up on my feed. Thank you for all the good stuff you’re doing.

I'm really glad you're enjoying it. I'm well into editing the next episode because I have nothing else to do these days; stay tuned for another one next week-ish. (there's an easter egg in this video alluding to what's next)

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Tashilicious posted:

reminder that up until the 80s doctors were convinced that babies were like black people and first nations peoples; they didnt feel pain.

I was in and out of hospitals until I was five, having eight major surgeries (born in 1982). Once they didn't give me enough pain medication, if any, after a surgery as a baby and my mom found me trying to rip my staples out. She raised hell and then ran out to puke.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Q: how much do you hate this miserable world

A: A Family YouTuber Has Ignited A Firestorm After Admitting To Rehoming Her Adopted Autistic Son

quote:

Myka’s profile began to rise in the parenting blogger community over the next few years. Her YouTube subscribers doubled from October 2017 to October 2018, according to Social Blade, and she now has more than 160,00 followers on Instagram. Some of her Huxley update videos, like “5 Things I Didn't EXPECT About Our China ADOPTION! International ADOPTION,” were sponsored by companies like Dreft. (It’s unclear when she first started to monetize her account and who her sponsors were.) She partnered with brands like Glossier, Good American, Fabletics, and Ibotta. The birth of her fifth child was even featured in People.

E: there are some pretty loving horrible things that are slowly coming to light

Huxley’s thumb is duct taped to prevent thumb sucking
https://twitter.com/shmailey_/status/1265483409788461057

teen witch has a new favorite as of 13:59 on May 28, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

teen witch posted:

Hmmm, well now that you mention it, significantly more than even a moment ago when I hadn't seen this :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Youtube and social media in general are a breeding ground for absolutely sickening people who will do reprehensible things for subs and views (because those directly contribute to revenue) so on top of living their lives like open wounds they're not opposed to controversy because, again, views. It's so transparent too. At this point with the amount of objectionable poo poo people get up to on the platform(s), why people would openly and proudly describe themselves as "Youtubers" is beyond me.

I never used to give a poo poo about any of it but over time I do pay attention to videos describing the downfall of these people because it's really satisfying, especially the ones who gently caress up publicly like the guy who pretended to be a paralyzed gamer getting donations from people and casually stood up from his wheelchair and walked off-camera during stream.

So sometimes there's a bright side, but the story above, holy poo poo. Salt the earth.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Amateurs- the way you do it is you get the kids age legally changed to 18, abandon him in an apartment and leave the country.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Stare-Out posted:

Youtube and social media in general are a breeding ground for absolutely sickening people who will do reprehensible things for subs and views (because those directly contribute to revenue) so on top of living their lives like open wounds they're not opposed to controversy because, again, views. It's so transparent too. At this point with the amount of objectionable poo poo people get up to on the platform(s), why people would openly and proudly describe themselves as "Youtubers" is beyond me.

Monumentally :same:

I've talked to my son about making good choices about what he watches on there, and without any prompting from me he's been watching science documentaries and stuff! He still watches loving Team Edge and Vat 19 though - just pure garbage in video form.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

Monumentally :same:

I've talked to my son about making good choices about what he watches on there, and without any prompting from me he's been watching science documentaries and stuff! He still watches loving Team Edge and Vat 19 though - just pure garbage in video form.

Some hope for the future right there. I suppose it's somewhat inevitable for younger people to get introduced to the more dubious side of social media, but at the very least be sure to introduce him to some of the more critical people on Youtube who regularly tear some of the more scummy people down.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

For gently caress's sake. "Are there any special needs kids that will impress our viewers, but don't actually require special accomodations or any extra effort?"

Also LOL about "praying" for guidance while simultaneously asking internet randos for advice.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Hope it's okay to cross post from the 90's thread, because I have a weird one for you today. I recently went down an internet rabbit hole digging up an ancient website on the craziness level of jesus-is-savior.com. May I present to you the story of Ashtar Sheran:

quote:

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but if I remind just one person about the insane poo poo I'm about to share then I'll have done my job.

Recently I researched and edited a video about a new age movement called the Universe People, who believe that some guy named Ashtar Sheran is helping our planet make sure it doesn't destroy itself. Ashtar is a Nordic looking man with flawless features and a colorful wardrobe. Ordinarily a fringe UFO cult would be rather unremarkable, but check out their website(s):

http://www.heavenly-angels.org

There are a number of spinoff sites which all link to the same lengthy diatribes about lizard men and the importance of positive thought. What really catches the eye are these choice graphics which cover the site. Here's just a few:

Now the actual story goes back much further. This Ashtar character was apparently created in the 1950s by George van Tassel, an associate of Howard Hughes. He used to hold alien conventions and other weird poo poo at Giant Rock, and eventually Ashtar found popularity with his followers. There's been a number of power struggles over the years for the one "right" version of Ashtar and the eventual apocalypse he'll save us from but it's almost always hilarious.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

teen witch posted:

A: A Family YouTuber Has Ignited A Firestorm After Admitting To Rehoming Her Adopted Autistic Son

Huxley’s thumb is duct taped to prevent thumb sucking

Not just that but she's trying to just post through it too.

https://twitter.com/MykaStauffer/status/1264928156428972034

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inceltown posted:

Not just that but she's trying to just post through it too.

https://twitter.com/MykaStauffer/status/1264928156428972034

She's getting raked in the replies. Probably in the YouTube comments as well, but she made the video private (lol) so who knows.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That Twitter ratio is a sight to behold.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AlbieQuirky posted:

That Twitter ratio is a sight to behold.

there was a point in time where her triple slash was like, Billy Hamilton esque. truly spectacular.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Golden Gael posted:

Hope it's okay to cross post from the 90's thread, because I have a weird one for you today. I recently went down an internet rabbit hole digging up an ancient website on the craziness level of jesus-is-savior.com. May I present to you the story of Ashtar Sheran:

Now the actual story goes back much further. This Ashtar character was apparently created in the 1950s by George van Tassel, an associate of Howard Hughes. He used to hold alien conventions and other weird poo poo at Giant Rock, and eventually Ashtar found popularity with his followers. There's been a number of power struggles over the years for the one "right" version of Ashtar and the eventual apocalypse he'll save us from but it's almost always hilarious.

Man, these guys used to rent a small office in an apartment building near me years ago, me and my friends would go there to get posters and fliers back when we were in high school.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^ Any noteworthy stories?

The Golden Gael posted:

Your videos are always super interesting.
Most of the time I have no previous knowledge about the topic, which is a refreshing change from every other channel on YouTube which covers "weird and strange" subjects.
Like yes I know about Elisa Lam, yeah I've heard of the Max Headroom incident, holy poo poo please discuss something other than Cicada 3301!
What I'm trying to say is please keep uploading unique content in the way only you seem to know how to.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I work with a guy who says he actually saw the Max Headroom incident.

He is absolutely the kinda weirdo that would be up at like 3 am or whatever watching 70's Doctor Who.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Just in case you need another shot of racial injustice

https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/1266577324331409408

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Not really, it was just a bunch of old ladies with kooky new age beliefs.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Most of the time I have no previous knowledge about the topic, which is a refreshing change from every other channel on YouTube which covers "weird and strange" subjects.
Like yes I know about Elisa Lam, yeah I've heard of the Max Headroom incident, holy poo poo please discuss something other than Cicada 3301!
What I'm trying to say is please keep uploading unique content in the way only you seem to know how to.

Thank you so much! I was a bit worried this was too much of a stretch, but it's nice to see I'm on the right track. More to come for certain.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Seconding this. I really dig your channel and the stories you dig up are weird and obscure but fascinating. How do you come up with the topics?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Golden Gael posted:

I'm really glad you're enjoying it. I'm well into editing the next episode because I have nothing else to do these days; stay tuned for another one next week-ish. (there's an easter egg in this video alluding to what's next)

Just echoing what everyone else is saying about your channel, it's one of my favorites on YouTube at the moment and I'm always stoked about new content

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm so thankful for everyone's continued support. I'm planning another episode in the future (probably not the next one because it's gonna take a lot of research) in the vein of John Schnatter: a well known topic on the surface which surprisingly hasn't been given much of a documentary treatment. That's sometimes how I get ideas.

Honestly a lot of stories are things I've heard about in the past from all kinds of cultural osmosis and then went to look up a video for only to find nothing. I can think of a few topics I've covered like that; Rochdale College, Oleg Mitasov, and Jamake Highwater. What I mean by cultural osmosis is finding out about a topic when I'm not looking for it then thinking of it from the Anomaly perspective. In the case of Rochdale College, we have a similar building in my small Ontario city which I've known about for years that eventually led me on the Wikipedia rabbit hole to Toronto's version of it. For Jamake Highwater, I know the story because I really like Star Trek and remember hearing people talk about it on these forums like 10 years ago. Actually if you go through a lot of the videos you'll find extremely obscure references to Star Trek sometimes baked into the editing as a joke for me and like two friends who may get it. Like the picture I chose of Rick Berman was specifically the one from the RLM videos.

If it's alright, I'll drop a link to my new Discord server for the channel so we don't clog up too much of this thread. I'll still make sure to let everyone know about new stories on here, if that's what the thread wants!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Golden Gael, you are a bright spot in an otherwise unnerving thread. Please keep posting in here about your projects.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Golden Gael, you are a bright spot in an otherwise unnerving thread. Please keep posting in here about your projects.

Very much seconded; please feel free to continue posting as you have been!

trainzrk00l
May 31, 2020

teen witch posted:

Huxley�s thumb is duct taped to prevent thumb sucking

i just uuh what

as an autistic adopted individual myself (as evident by my username haha) i have had no loving words regarding this tragedy and am gimped by as much incandescent rage as my numb neuroreceptors will allow. adoption is traumatic enough as it is (subjectively and negotiable to an extent through therapy and considerable resources to the issues) without being ""rehomed"" by some sick detached gently caress looking to make a quick buck out of your life, leaving you to the wolves.

this is the worldview through which a capitalist views their OWN KID; literally an extractive tool, like a pickax, super-duper-mining-rig or a computer. honestly the degrees of separation are frightening but of all the emotions i feel one of the ones i do not is surprise. this is capitalism. this is the worldview our overlords take towards our lives on a greater level. capitalism and the attention economy may not necessarily create these sickos, but it certainly enables their creation and this disaster feels merely like a condensed version of our relationship to it in a wider context. this is the pathological detachment and viewing lives & the environment in ""extractive utility"" that the machine is built on. elite paedophilia, bhopal, sewol et al., leaving kids to the wolves at 18 as mentioned earlier, homelessness, systemic racism and climate change etc etc yadda yadda. of note is also the culture of white saviourism attached to international adoption (see Holt in South Korea, which i have secondary knowledge of due to my own circumstances) and although i would vastly prefer living where i am now to South Korea, it's not without its baggage. i've been stewing in pent up emotion for ages and having a "babby's first anticapitalist" moment here, apologies if this is a ramble.

honestly too there is some truth to the idea that parenting is a binary commitment. you are 100% committed to face whichever hardships and machinations of probability the moment you commit to the idea of taking an immature, partially-developed human being under your stewardship, or you are not. if you are unprepared for the idea of parenting any individual, let alone a neurodiverse individual, or haven't done your research to the point where it will detrimentally affect your universal parental duty of care, then please hold the gently caress back. a tug and a snooze, ya can't loose. have fun with your fingers, do not leave a kid to linger. check yourself before you wreck yourself (and some poor soul/s). gently caress. as these people had ample opportunity to think this through and were in a position which enabled them to do so, i have no compassion for whatever """"struggles"""" they slapped post-hoc over their exploitative actions like a shoddy coat of paint. go gently caress yourselves.

as for Huxley himself, i hope he finds comfort, dignity and safety asap. i hope he and the many children ""rehomed"" under such awful practices reach peace and justice is served. knowing how irredemably hosed the us (and its vassals to a lesser extent) is i don't know, but i'm holding out solidarity and optimism. it's all i have, although climate blackpilling is kicking my rear end pretty hard right now. if anyone would happen to know of any advocacy/solidarity networks or honest, reputable institutions which deal with this stuff, please post links. i have a wallet full of ronabux right now just burning a hole towards worthy causes.

trainzrk00l has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jun 1, 2020

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

An indigenous woman is shot dead by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

At least they had the courtesy to wait for her to emerge from her home before killing her. In the USA, they just shoot you through your window during routine checkups.

It’s like that gross old joke. “Don’t turn this wellness check into a murder.”

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

quote:

"He had no choice but to defend himself," Robinson said.
There are other options to defend one's self beside firing a gun five times.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The Golden Gael posted:

Actually if you go through a lot of the videos you'll find extremely obscure references to Star Trek sometimes baked into the editing as a joke for me and like two friends who may get it.

I love the videos - is the use of a SimCity 2000 music track in many of them another one of these in-jokes?

Edit: The first one I noticed it in was about the North Korean Godzilla knockoff, which is especially funny since SimCity got in trouble from Toho for an unlicensed Godzilla depiction.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

jobson groeth posted:

When I die I want my body to be used by a mad scientist and become patient zero in the outbreak that destroys humanity for good.

RIP this guy, I guess.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Blue Moonlight posted:

I love the videos - is the use of a SimCity 2000 music track in many of them another one of these in-jokes?

Edit: The first one I noticed it in was about the North Korean Godzilla knockoff, which is especially funny since SimCity got in trouble from Toho for an unlicensed Godzilla depiction.

Hah! My composer has done two tracks which are intentionally modeled off some of the great music from SimCity 2000. I'll pass that along.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I found a neat looking true crime book last night: Blood Libel in Late Imperial Russia: The Ritual Murder Trial of Mendel Beilis

quote:

On Sunday, March 20, 1911, children playing in a cave near Kiev made a gruesome discovery: the blood-soaked body of a partially clad boy. After right-wing groups asserted that the killing was a ritual murder, the police, with no direct evidence, arrested Menachem Mendel Beilis, a 39-year-old Jewish manager at a factory near the site of the crime. Beilis's trial in 1913 quickly became an international cause celebre. The jury ultimately acquitted Beilis but held that the crime had the hallmarks of a ritual murder. Robert Weinberg's account of the Beilis Affair explores the reasons why the tsarist government framed Beilis, shedding light on the excesses of antisemitism in late Imperial Russia. Primary documents culled from the trial transcript, newspaper articles, Beilis's memoirs, and archival sources, many appearing in English for the first time, bring readers face to face with this notorious trial.

I'd never heard of this - the book or the crime - and figured this kind of freakiness would be at home in here.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Swedish Police say they have the murder weapon of who killed the Swedish PM. Presumably they know who did it and will announce it tomorrow.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Comstar posted:

Swedish Police say they have the murder weapon of who killed the Swedish PM. Presumably they know who did it and will announce it tomorrow.

To clarify, the assassination happened in 1986 and (up until now) it hasn't been clear who did it though they've had suspects and even arrested a guy (who got off due to lack of evidence I think.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stare-Out posted:

To clarify, the assassination happened in 1986 and (up until now) it hasn't been clear who did it though they've had suspects and even arrested a guy (who got off due to lack of evidence I think.)

Oh poo poo, was this the PM that got shot coming home from the theater, or something?