Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Working on Luna kills, and it seems that you need to aim good with it? Unreasonable IMHO

Also I kinda think they should have dropped the kill requirement from 300 to like... 100 tops, when they moved to 3's Survival instead of 4's All Modes

Getting Luna kills against Only-Green-Ammo weapons, 600 Autos, and people who 3-peek & head for the hills after taking 1 hit are making for slow progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Working on Luna kills, and it seems that you need to aim good with it? Unreasonable IMHO

Also I kinda think they should have dropped the kill requirement from 300 to like... 100 tops, when they moved to 3's Survival instead of 4's All Modes

Getting Luna kills against Only-Green-Ammo weapons, 600 Autos, and people who 3-peek & head for the hills after taking 1 hit are making for slow progress

Plus they nerfed it down 150 RPM, nerfed Luna's Howl, and nerfed the effective range... Lunas & NF aren't exactly bad nowadays, but there's no compelling reason to use them anymore, RIP.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm still working on Redrix's broadsword, Thorn, Wendigo, and a lot of other poo poo.

I'm glad to still have things to do, but the requirements for some of these are asinine.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've been working on the sturm catalyst, lol.

Haven't been doing much with guardian games except for maybe the cru/gambit medals. Really been resting on my laurels.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You're not missing much. This season has most of the achievements locked behind -

- Doing good on a stupid "ball throw" public event
- Wearing and using Seraph weapons while doing events that often have really irritating combos of champions. I hate the barrier servitors so loving much. The seraph equipment might be some of the ugliest poo poo ever made

Yeah, I know you can squad up for the public events, but for the more casual speed players like me it kills the fun.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Hanging that much of a season on a public event tells me no one at Bungie has ever set foot in a patrol zone on live servers.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
it's especially fun because they got yelled at for the exact same reasons when they made escalation protocol and blind well and they really looked like they learned their lesson but welp here we are again

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it's especially fun because they got yelled at for the exact same reasons when they made escalation protocol and blind well and they really looked like they learned their lesson but welp here we are again

Keep in mind that all the public event stuff that players actually enjoyed got farmed out to notBungie.

Bungie habitually overestimates the capacity of pubbies to coordinate and throws garbage like EP or seraph towers at us, defending to the end that it's properly balanced for a three man fireteam (which I don't think they've done for this event, but I'd bet money that internally that's their thinking).

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
The difference between something like EP and Seraph Towers vs Blind Well and Altars of Sorrow is that there is only one location to go to for the last two.

Thanks to people farming laurels for guardian games, I have been able to have many successful Altars runs with pick up groups. That’s because everyone has to go to one place so eventually you get enough people to wander in and start playing.

Towers and EP have multiple spots on top of multiple instances which makes it that much harder to get a group together.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Altar also has a mechanic where as long as one person dedicates themselves to mowing down adds (usually something like a titan with war rig and sweet business) the event is impossible to fail.

EP and Seraph are trivial to fail and waste a bunch of time if people aren't taking care of everything that needs taken care of.

The "impossible to fail" is a hallmark of their most successful random events. Randoms can be as stupid as they want and sure it means you waste more time on the event itself, but at least you still get that prize at the end.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm just glad I got the Hardcoded Victory triumph randomly while doing the event on the moon.

I love the idea of huge world events (like burning down a boss or something) that require the a large portion of the players on a public instance to band together, but Bungie's terrible matchmaking and balancing practices would make it nightmare.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm just glad I got the Hardcoded Victory triumph randomly while doing the event on the moon.

I love the idea of huge world events (like burning down a boss or something) that require the a large portion of the players on a public instance to band together, but Bungie's terrible matchmaking and balancing practices would make it nightmare.

Better idea: you walk up to the Seraph event console, and click it to enter matchmaking, just like the forges.
Bungie: "lol yeah none of us know how to program that, the only dude who could do that quit 6 months ago!"

Jesus, imagine if the Forges were open-world events where you need 6+ players to have a chance of beating it, and you get nothing if you fail. Black Armory would've been the most hated season.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Even the forges have a lot of times where you're the only one who loads in.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh gently caress I forgot about that

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Forges had (have? IDK) an issue where you have a FIVE second timer after the event is over before it dumps you right back into one. 69% of people in the playlist were there by accident because they'd just finished a forge and gotten forced into another one, so they'd zoop back to orbit or Change Character to circumvent the loading screen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The forge was a good idea ruined by unlock quests, talking to ada constantly to finish a gun, and too-short timers.

Not sure why they couldn't cut and paste the forge code to be a seraph tower event but they're the AAA developers, I assume they are experts at this stuff!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or even better, just add new loot to old encounters

Forges... but with seraph gun frames

Minaj... but with a taken boss and taken guns/shaders

Calus... but with an endless horde mode until you die

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Black Armory is great! You'll be able to do the forges a couple weeks after launch unless you poopsock every powerful bounty possible and abuse a sniper rifle

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I will say that EP, Altars, and Seraph Towers are all quite fun when you have ~5 people, at least 3 of which know what they're doing, it's just that if you don't then you're in for some frustration and wasted time. Blind Well is fun too, and seemed easier to get enough people for, although that's probably less true now because I don't know what you'd get out of it anymore.

On that last note, I feel like the game has reached a bit of a saturation point for veteran players when it comes to loot. Outside of sandbox shakeups like the auto rifle buffs, I think most people who have been playing for a while are going to look at what new things they can grind for and conclude that they aren't really better than what we already have. Last season had a burst of guns with perks we hadn't previously had access to like Vorpal, combinations like Demolitionist+Rampage/Surrounded/Dragonfly, or the chance to get random rolls on guns like Traveler's Judgment 5, but now we have guns with those combos and I'm not sure how long they can keep up introducing new perks (that aren't complete flops like Air Assault). Even for the Trials loot once people get a good Astral Horizon and Summoner (and even the latter can be replaced by other guns like Galliard) it's sounding like they lose a lot of motivation to keep playing; I'm hearing multiple streamers say Trials isn't worth the aggravation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paracelsus posted:

I will say that EP, Altars, and Seraph Towers are all quite fun when you have ~5 people, at least 3 of which know what they're doing, it's just that if you don't then you're in for some frustration and wasted time. Blind Well is fun too, and seemed easier to get enough people for, although that's probably less true now because I don't know what you'd get out of it anymore.

The original seraph towers were doable with that setup, but the updated ones really require that everyone be working together with good synergistic builds and pretty tight time tolerances. So unless those 3 are on a fireteam with voice you're not getting it done, and unless they're real gods the other two are going to have to hold up their end too. And there's no way to trigger the old event to bang out a few quick completions, so if you wanted that weekly bounty + pinnacle then welp.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Trials is getting new rewards in Season 13

Nothing new in 11 and 12 other than Maps in the rotation

They're "working on" Adept weapons

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

yeah but we're getting armor transmog

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Transmog, the return of weapons and armor pursuits, and a promise not to put stuff on eververse that too obviously could have been an activity drop

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Just gimme all of that silly poo poo. And a more comprehensive emote wheel.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Season 13. Haha oh gently caress

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
This is the longest beta I have ever played.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CheeseFactory posted:

Season 13. Haha oh gently caress

I’m glad all *checks notes* 6 guns will keep people playing Trials until then

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, it looks like they care a LITTLE bit. Trials is on Javelin 4 this week.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well, it looks like they care a LITTLE bit. Trials is on Javelin 4 this week.

Sweet that's awesome

quote:

3 wins is scout rifle
5 wins is boots
7 wins is sniper
Flawless is helmet

god dammit... :negative:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have multiple quests requiring hand cannons in the crucible. Running anything other than an assault rifle is loving painful. Don't get me wrong, I love ARs. But they are too powerful.

What's the current hand cannon meta for crucible? I've got a vault full of masterworked HCs.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

new Seraph Towers are actually a loving blast if you can get two fireteams in the same region EP style, but it's a huge pain in the rear end to do that

this season's content is obviously throwaway filler, but I've been able to rob enough fun out of it so far. I do think we're gonna get something cool towards the end of the season though.

Captain Log posted:

I have multiple quests requiring hand cannons in the crucible. Running anything other than an assault rifle is loving painful. Don't get me wrong, I love ARs. But they are too powerful.

What's the current hand cannon meta for crucible? I've got a vault full of masterworked HCs.

150 RPMs. Dire Promise, Spare Rations and Waking Vigil rule the roost, plus Luna's/NF on console, but I'm assuming your quests are to unlock those.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deadwing posted:

new Seraph Towers are actually a loving blast if you can get two fireteams in the same region EP style, but it's a huge pain in the rear end to do that

this season's content is obviously throwaway filler, but I've been able to rob enough fun out of it so far. I do think we're gonna get something cool towards the end of the season though.

150 RPMs. Dire Promise, Spare Rations and Waking Vigil rule the roost, plus Luna's/NF on console, but I'm assuming your quests are to unlock those.

Thorn, if you have it. Austringer and Crimson are good too, albeit A-tier and not S-tier.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've got a Masterworked Crimson I never take out. I'll give it a shot.

My go to has been a Masterworked Trust for the longest time, but the damage is just too low right now.

I've also got a nasty masterworked Spare Rations, but when I brought it out I was losing all the races. I guess I need to tighten up headshots.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Austringer is bad because I got made fun of during a raid for pronouncing it wrong

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I just realized I never picked one up. I'm gonna have to do that once this irritating rear end olympic bullshit is over.

It's also bullshit that all the cool Olympic stuff is for silver, but that's Gaming Capitalism!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Trials is getting new rewards in Season 13

Nothing new in 11 and 12 other than Maps in the rotation

They're "working on" Adept weapons

I’m dying lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm having a hard time rationalizing the effort that I put into the last three weeks to get a white emblem.

It was especially fun when I ran eight or nine forges in a row, thinking I needed 600 kills and only got halfway to the goal. Once I realized it was 600 laurels, I Liar Handshaked it in two matches.

:stare:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I only have the Bounties and Rumble Supers triumphs left but gently caress me if I can summon the willpower to finish them

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

I've come back to d2 after a long, long, hiatus. I wanna get my hands on a bad juju, but need to do these calus tributes first. I see you have to do/redo triumphs while using certain weapons/armour. What's the easiest way to obtain these, for a solo player who never raids?
Matchmake a round or two of the menagerie to get a weapon/armour piece? Or does it require a full armour set, so keep grinding the menagerie until I get a full set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The secret "fun" of destiny is optimal time management