Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I just filed it right in with the line from Demolition Man - where Taco Bell is the sole survivor after 'the franchise wars'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lobok posted:

Love that one of the upgrades you get from the Doctor - a doctor - is the Monster Energy Drink canteen.
I mean, the descriptions are clearly a find&replace for water, it probably got added late in development

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Maybe water’s no good anymore and everybody is just living off old warehouse stocks of Monster and Vitamin Water, etc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Both canteens magically convert rain and river water into Monster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The worst part is that the canteen says it's treated with antifreeze and it also has more of an effect on Sam when you're wearing heat pads, meaning it's warm Monster. :barf:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When my backpack cover is nearly destroyed, what am I supposed to do to repair it? It says in the private room that any attachments to the cover will be lost if I switch out for a new one and I thought I had removed the attachments but nope, all gone. So what is process here?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's no way to repair the backpack cover, you just have to discard it like you would any backpack attachment and make a whole new one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

When my backpack cover is nearly destroyed, what am I supposed to do to repair it? It says in the private room that any attachments to the cover will be lost if I switch out for a new one and I thought I had removed the attachments but nope, all gone. So what is process here?

You can’t fix it, only replace it with a new one. I never lost grenade pouches or anything when I got a new cover, the cover just goes over them:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know the game likes to have its chapters named after characters but this one really should have been called I want My BB Back, BB Back, BB Back, BB Back, Higgs.

Edit: how many of these WW1 battlefields are there? Seriously turning me off the game.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 3, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

I know the game likes to have its chapters named after characters but this one really should have been called I want My BB Back, BB Back, BB Back, BB Back, Higgs.

Edit: how many of these WW1 battlefields are there? Seriously turning me off the game.

There are three Nightmares of War.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It’s WWI, WWII, and Vietnam right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Peacoffee posted:

It’s WWI, WWII, and Vietnam right?

Yes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Midjack posted:

There are three Nightmares of War.

Cool, thank you. Figured as much anyway after the second one (which is WW2 yes, of course!) and the name of one of the later chapters.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Good deal on Death Standing for PC.

https://www.gamebillet.com/death-stranding-pre-order-steam

Is this game good? I sure hope so but I heard really mixed reviews.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tormented posted:

The reviews I saw/heard back around release ended up sounding super whiny about the early game and kind of ignorant once I played it myself. I mostly and really enjoyed the actual gameplay but there were parts of the entire experience I wasn't fond of. I'm no Kojima devotee so I knew going in that it was going to grate on me at points. I'm trying to be super vague here but no matter what I am glad I played it, though it is a tough game to recommend to someone else.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
My favorite moments in the game:

Cresting the hill leading down to Port Knot and thinking "Now this would be a great place for some Low Roar" just before it starts playing.

The end fight with Higgs. Trying to figure out how to actually hurt him and seeing a box marked "PlayStation System", remembering alll the way back before I had bola guns or anything and how the only way to take down MULEs was to throw crates at their heads... And how the whole thing devolved into a fighting game. I hate fighting games, but I must have been emotionally invested at that point because I was practically cheering every time I landed a hit.

Sitting in the private room looking around desperately for anything other than the shower to interact with before sighing to myself and thinking "Well, I guess I have no other choice but to hop in the shower with Guillermo Del Toro..."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Tormented posted:

It's real good, I had some quibbles with the story but it is absolutely worth your time. Most bad reviews I saw were from people complaining about the movement while trying to drive a motorcycle up a nearly sheer cliff face.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I beat the game a couple weeks ago For people looking to pick this up on PC: the hottest tip I can give that's not on the Before-I-Play wiki is that the chapters are not equal in length by any means; most of your travelling will occur in chapters 3, 5, and 8. At the very end of Chapter 8, once the trophy pops, doing the next objective will start chapter 9, and from there it's all linear travel, boss fights, and interminable cutscenes. You won't really be able to prepare for any of it gear-wise, either, unless you built out an extremely thorough zip-line network beforehand.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm glad I did. Evo Devo wasn't covered by a zip line because I stupidly brought PCC 1s with me but I had a pretty comprehensive network covering what was west, south, and east of Edgar Wright. And the roads went from Mama to Lake Knot. Made a lot of story missions easy.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Sitting in the private room looking around desperately for anything other than the shower to interact with before sighing to myself and thinking "Well, I guess I have no other choice but to hop in the shower with Guillermo Del Toro..."
Did you put the cap on? It hilariously messes with that cutscene, with the camera angles it covers Sam's entire face

screaden posted:

Most bad reviews I saw were from people complaining about the movement while trying to drive a motorcycle up a nearly sheer cliff face.
This
If you pay attention to the interface prompts from the get go you'll only ever tumble on purpose to get that number up. Reviewers loved to post pratfall compilations, but that's just them rushing to have the first video out

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Captain Walker posted:

I beat the game a couple weeks ago For people looking to pick this up on PC: the hottest tip I can give that's not on the Before-I-Play wiki is that the chapters are not equal in length by any means; most of your travelling will occur in chapters 3, 5, and 8. At the very end of Chapter 8, once the trophy pops, doing the next objective will start chapter 9, and from there it's all linear travel, boss fights, and interminable cutscenes. You won't really be able to prepare for any of it gear-wise, either, unless you built out an extremely thorough zip-line network beforehand.

Ok, I was actually about to ask this question as I'm about 43 hours in and on chapter 8 I figured it's gotta be wrapping relatively soon. Is there a "point of no return"? Like if I want to go finish some trophy hunting is now the time to do it?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can get plat at any time but I encourage you to five-star everybody you can before crossing the tar belt, pizza guy excluded because having pants full o' stars throughout the finale is immensely satisfying

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Ok gotcha, I think I'm just coming up to that point so I'll hang back for a bit.

When I first picked up this game I remember reading the description of the MULEs where they say that they're people who "are so addicted to the oxytocin rush of making deliveries that they've gone insane" and I thought that was incredibly dumb.

I no longer think that's dumb.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

Ok, I was actually about to ask this question as I'm about 43 hours in and on chapter 8 I figured it's gotta be wrapping relatively soon. Is there a "point of no return"? Like if I want to go finish some trophy hunting is now the time to do it?

Post game you can do anything you want. It’s where I got most of my five star ratings.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Chapter 7 thoughts:

the twin thing with Lockne and Mama was weird and creepy and I wish at least one of the characters had reacted in horror like i did. My wife is a twin and hates it when media treats twins like they have a special bond or are one person and i don't think I've seen a piece of media go this far with that idea. The idea that Mama was dead and held in place by her BT-baby was neat but felt like it could've some more foreshadowing, even just some flavor text somewhere before that revelation.

Why is Deadman a weird meat-man? Do we ever get any backstory on that? Why did they generate a human from scratch and make it look like Guillermo Del Toro? Dude has become really creepy in a stalker sort of way, would not be shocked to wake up to find him staring at Sam as he slept.

I'm only midway so I assume the stuff about Die Hardman will come back to bite Sam in the rear end very hard later when it turns out he's been a badguy/is nanomachines/is a clone of Sam/cloned Sam from himself etc, and Deadman casually saying, "We won't be recorded!" is a big red flag that Deadman has somehow been compromised.

Higgs is boring as a villain. Everyone has weird personalities but they're all grounded in ways that sell that these are real people in bizarre circumstances. but Higgs is 1000% Anime Villain all the time. Mads Mikkelsen is much more compelling and so far he hasn't had basically any dialogue besides flashbacks. I'm sure there's more to Higgs than being evil and summoning BTs to mess around with Sam but I'm not very engaged with finding out what. On the other hand i am stoked to find out what the hell is going on with Mad Dad and enjoyed the WW2 segment a lot more than the forced BT encounter Higgs came with.

I saw an article talking about how ziplines ruin the core gameplay of this game, but the gameplay loop of 1)trailblaze to a new base, 2) connect base to the network, 3) set up a zipline path to make travel easier, is really rewarding and I don't think constantly having to navigate difficult terrain would hold up without the reward of eventually making travel easier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What, has no one ever asked you "do you remember what it was like when you were in the womb" before? I get that question all the time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Capital Letdown posted:

I just filed it right in with the line from Demolition Man - where Taco Bell is the sole survivor after 'the franchise wars'

That's all fine and good but explain the popularity of "RIDE with Norman Reedus"

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

CJacobs posted:

What, has no one ever asked you "do you remember what it was like when you were in the womb" before? I get that question all the time.
Up until that point I'd been letting all the weirdness of this game wash over me, that was the first line that made me go, "Wait, what?"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's another example how regular writers would workshop plot threads/characters on a whiteboard and whittle it down to 2-3 important/memorable themes, while Kojima just puts the entire whiteboard in the game. Look how cluttered with ideas the datalogs get in chapter 2, it's the same for every character's list of quirks.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Clearly the canon thing to do in this scene is to sink cans of Timefall Porter and make faces at BB.

night slime
May 14, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's all fine and good but explain the popularity of "RIDE with Norman Reedus"

A travel show in a time where everyone's afraid to travel would be pretty popular, like now. Honestly the stuff they showed on the clips I watched was pretty cool, look up the Dave Chappelle one on youtube.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam is just one of those weirdos who aspires to emulate his favorite celebrity in every facet of life, before the game's events he got cosmetic surgery to look like his hero, Norman Reedus.

edit: Imagine the opening of MGS5 except it's Norman Reedus and Sam Porter Bridges.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dear diary, today I discovered a use for the holographic rock I hadn't even thought of. If a BT is coming at you to grab you, you can pull up the rock real quick with the d-pad menu and they'll stomp around you like you actually are a rock. Which makes a weird sort of sense since BTs are kind of blind and all, of course they wouldn't notice you pulling up a hologram right in front of them. Eventually they lose interest and teleport back to wherever they were with an animation I've never seen before! The holographic rock is like the MGS Box, it is pure Kojimium, I love it.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Wow nice catch. Genuinely would have never thought to try that. Only time I ever remembering messing with the rock is with MULEs on top of tents, and I think they noticed it was flickering and got mad and shot me.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
What is this rock of which you speak?

night slime
May 14, 2014
The hologram you can bring up with the tool belt, it drains battery, unless you're making a joke about the word rock.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

night slime posted:

The hologram you can bring up with the tool belt, it drains battery, unless you're making a joke about the word rock.

There’s a tool belt? Is that where the canteen is? I think mine still has two red “X”s on its menu. Maybe the rock goes into one of those?

No joke. If I have a rock, I either never knew about it, or it seemed useless and I just forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Click the analog stick