Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Private Speech posted:

it feels like they're just cargo-culting google/amazon more than anything

This is basically how technical interviews are designed everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ultrafilter posted:

the ones I've done (and designed myself when at a startup) were usually more about whiteboarding, simple coding exercises and a chat to figure out what you know, maybe with a multiple-choice quiz

dunno I'm genuinely curious what an algorithm focused test looks like, especially one that needs a calculator

but I expect it's basically ctci so that's what I'm going through now

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ultrafilter posted:

because everyone saw the success of google and amazon and went "their hiring must be the reason for their success".

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

just got the denial from snap before ever talking to me, guess i'm not quite where they want me to be for a security engineer

it's hard but try not to waste mental energy trying to interpret rejections unless they gave you something concrete to improve on. there's too much randomness involved to try to guess what happened.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
should i register on linkedin

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yes, if only for the convenience of one-click applications

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Fool posted:

yes, if only for the convenience of one-click applications

it's a really great feature

too bad linkedin allows companies to change the content from "email / phone number contact and one pdf" to "here's a bunch of boxes, type in 2000 words about yourself please"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
linkedin also provides tech training courses for a subscription so you can learn about all the shiny new things that the boss won't let you use

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my favorite feature of LinkedIn is that ignoring recruiters costs them money

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

raminasi posted:

my favorite feature of LinkedIn is that ignoring recruiters costs them money

:hmmyes:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

https://twitter.com/djbaskin/status/1259979381289545729

too real

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Is it fine to say a number when it's on the high end of companys range? I have a couple of interviews lined up and this company has the lowest range, plus it's consulting so a bit meh.

I figure if they won't be willing to agree to it then there's no point in wasting any more of our mutual time.

e: I only have ~5 years of experience (and a relevant engineering degree) which in the embedded sphere isn't that much, otherwise I'd go for the very top of the range (which is only like 60k but this isn't the US so no figgies is the norm)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 12, 2020

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Is it fine to say a number when it's on the high end of companys range? I have a couple of interviews lined up and this company has the lowest range, plus it's consulting so a bit meh.

I figure if they won't be willing to agree to it then there's no point in wasting any more of our mutual time.

e: I only have ~5 years of experience (and a relevant engineering degree) which in the embedded sphere isn't that much, otherwise I'd go for the very top of the range (which is only like 60k but this isn't the US so no figgies is the norm)

the only advice i can give you is to stop worrying about wasting their time because they sure as poo poo won't care about wasting yours

but maybe i'm just salty from my current job search

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Private Speech posted:

why not go for the top instead of near the top?

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

go play outside Skyler posted:

the only advice i can give you is to stop worrying about wasting their time because they sure as poo poo won't care about wasting yours

but maybe i'm just salty from my current job search

Yeah they'll nod and smile at whatever number you give, and then come back with some lowball bullshit like you never had the conversation at all and indignant that you wasted their time when you turn them down.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Amazon is basically flooding the DC area with open positions right now because of HQ2, and one of my coworkers (who is around the same skill level as I) even got hired for one recently. I'm trying to overcome my intense imposter syndrome and hit apply already. Though now that I just typed that, I realize that I would probably be in a better position if I contacted my former coworker first to see if she had a way to get my resume in the right hands (as my lack of a college degree tends to gently caress me in regards to getting through the auto-filters).

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
good idea

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

raminasi posted:

why not go for the top instead of near the top?

I just had a (conditional) offer from another company for the same very top and a guaranteed bonus too.

So I think that mostly answers it.

It's also a well-known multinational, so I might be undercutting all you figgieland people, soz

e: I'd move to figgieland to get paid better if the visas weren't so stringent, so just blame Trump or whoever

I might eventually anyway, Britain is a dump

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 12, 2020

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

LanceHunter posted:

Amazon is basically flooding the DC area with open positions right now because of HQ2, and one of my coworkers (who is around the same skill level as I) even got hired for one recently. I'm trying to overcome my intense imposter syndrome and hit apply already. Though now that I just typed that, I realize that I would probably be in a better position if I contacted my former coworker first to see if she had a way to get my resume in the right hands (as my lack of a college degree tends to gently caress me in regards to getting through the auto-filters).

If an idiot like me get get to the second round with them, anyone can. Just start a-flingin' those resumes.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hi please send me your embedded resume thank u

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the project I’m on will probably be getting cancelled soon because its a trash fire. I should find a new job.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"the" project? singular??

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JawnV6 posted:

"the" project? singular??

yes, like one project I can focus on. it turns out that works better than working on 5 new products and 3 generations of new chips while converging a release every couple of months on a dozen existing devices.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Not a Children posted:

If an idiot like me get get to the second round with them, anyone can.

:smith:

sports
Sep 1, 2012
anyone want to hire me

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

the city job that i wasn't expecting to ever get back to me finally got back to me with a "your resume has passed minimum qualifications, we're now evaluating your supplemental questions"

a. that is a much better result than i was hoping for
b. if i get it i would be in the 6 figgies toucher club

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

also what's the policy on poking a recruiter for a startup on linkedin after applying?

their name wasn't listed on the application, but i poked around on linkedin and found them, with their tagline being "recruiter for Acme -- We're hiring!" and the "reach out to Jim for... hiring" button on their profile

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i cannot imagine a situation in which reaching out turned a hire into a no-hire

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

raminasi posted:

i cannot imagine a situation in which reaching out turned a hire into a no-hire

this 100%. is there any downside to reaching out? nope. so go for it

sports
Sep 1, 2012
i hate linkedin howdo i not useit can i just yell on the ocaml sympa that- I dont know french

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

this 100%. is there any downside to reaching out? nope. so go for it

i was speaking more from an aspect of how long to wait before reaching out

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Buff Hardback posted:

i was speaking more from an aspect of how long to wait before reaching out

if a recruiter came in one morning and found your application as well as a linkedin message about the same opportunity sent seconds apart, it'd be fine

if there was a 6 day gap between them it'd be fine

what... what are you thinking is going to go wrong here? "hm, Buff Hardback's resume and experience are impeccable. But they sent TWO messages?!?!? in the same WEEK?? circular file, let's move on"

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah all good advice but I was just reminded of the northeast college recruiter from KPMG freaking the gently caress out at my boss.

I had talked with her once or twice before, so I sent an email saying it the last week of my internship, appreciated her time that summer, I really enjoyed working here and hope to be invited back, and was there anything I should do or check out before I went back to college for my last year.

she sent some insane rant to my boss about how entitled I was and this sort of person shouldn't have an internship much less a job here. blah blah. all fun and games except my team loved me and a partner created the internship for me.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

sports posted:

i hate linkedin howdo i not useit can i just yell on the ocaml sympa that- I dont know french

what's your ocaml question

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

e: I'd move to figgieland to get paid better if the visas weren't so stringent, so just blame Trump or whoever

I might eventually anyway, Britain is a dump

Definitely 'eventually'. We arent welcome in America right now. Might give them the 'rona or something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a british recruiter hit me up a couple years ago and my equivalent job in london at a major bank paid half as much after exchange rate so like 1/3 the amount in pounds, at the absolute max

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

I had a british recruiter hit me up a couple years ago and my equivalent job in london at a major bank paid half as much after exchange rate so like 1/3 the amount in pounds, at the absolute max

britain is weird. half the computer - software kind of jobs are way way below what you'd get even in neighboring countries, with a couple of sky high salaries. I wonder what their end game to that is.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao. i get a rare hit from some confused european that wants to offer me 60% of my base salary with no stock grants.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why do they even bother? I live in Copenhagen and speaking with a recruiter from Malmo, which is literally a bridge away, the moment I mentioned living in Copenhagen he immediately went "welp can't compete with your level of salaries sorry"

I mean, he knew when he was defeated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

some folks would probably take a significantly lower salary for a competent government but that’s definitely not the uk lol