Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Ulio posted:

Anyone listened to Peste Noire's last album? Not a fan of Famine's politics but I really liked their two albums before the latest one. Especially the La Chaise Dybale felt like some dark hillbilly french rock and it even had old war/marching songs adapted to black metal. Don't see any reviews for it but metal archive user review are very negative on it.

I really haven't gotten into anything he released after 2007 or so. His music and politics have just gotten worse and worse, he even contributes to far right rap which is just horrible. His use of literal black face recently doesn't sit really well with most people either. Honestly, some of the early stuff is quite good but gently caress Famine, what an absolute idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Imperial Triumphant announced a new album. No music to go with it, but they put up the artwork.

Comes out at the end of July.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yes, they were one of my hidden gems of the last few years. But I never thought of them as black metal

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
They're certainly a 'have to see live' band to 'get'. When you see how they play then it all makes sense. The drummer is insane!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I saw them and it was super weird to see them tune everything in normal clothes then change into their masks & robes on stage, like this defeats the purpose of your whole aesthetic

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
A new Paysage d'Hiver album is coming out in June: https://paysagedhiver.bandcamp.com/album/im-wald

Very very excited for this one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
120 minutes, gently caress yeah

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That came out in January. Guessing this is a physical release?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
The only thing from January I see is some weird USB stick with the album on it given out to people who attended a private event in Switzerland so new to people who weren't at that event, I guess.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Must've been leaked from there or something because it's got 577 ratings on RYM.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Varg posted:

I saw them and it was super weird to see them tune everything in normal clothes then change into their masks & robes on stage, like this defeats the purpose of your whole aesthetic

Some venues just don't have a backstage or changing rooms man..

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Seeing bands like that tune and then very obviously go to the green room and change is funnier than just doing it on stage. Looking at you, Thantifaxath.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Seeing bands like that tune and then very obviously go to the green room and change is funnier than just doing it on stage. Looking at you, Thantifaxath.

awwww awkward rich kids playing BM

That new Paysage d'hiver album was supposedly leaked from the listening session he had earlier but I haven't heard it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

abske_fides posted:

That new Paysage d'hiver album was supposedly leaked from the listening session he had earlier but I haven't heard it.

I would think if they were rich they could afford roadies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

abske_fides posted:

Yeah, touring metal bands are known for being rich, especially the ones who do all the stage prep themselves :rolleyes:

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Never said touring makes someone right but either way, I'll just leave it at that. Excuse my indecency.

I've been revisiting a lot of pagan black metal from when it was trendy, and man does a lot of it age absolutely horribly.

abske_fides fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 1, 2020

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

abske_fides posted:

Never said touring makes someone right but either way, I'll just leave it at that. Excuse my indecency.

I've been revisiting a lot of pagan black metal from when it was trendy, and man does a lot of it age absolutely horribly.

What albums do you still like? Send us some stuff!

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
A friend of mine just started a web zine for black metal and dungeon synth. So far they've got some interesting interviews with Lamp of Murmuur and the Night of the Pale Moon guy up: http://www.thecallofthenight.com/index

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bzXMoL4GM8

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
gear on the side of the stage, put it on, play, take it off.

FFS who are these otherwise people.

And no, youre not better people.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, touring metal bands are known for being rich, especially the ones who do all the stage prep themselves :rolleyes:

run that prep down for me

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Blaming the CIA for various trends in art seems to be all the rage these days. Just wondering - has anyone read any entertaining theories about our beloved subgenre lately? I'm bored and would like some light reading material.

edit: I'm guessing that they would really only deal with stuff that's in the mainstream. The idea of them bothering with BM is therefore highly :lol: but whatevs figured I'd ask anyway

olives black fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 9, 2020

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I have literally never heard of any conspiracy theory dealing with any kind of metal ("jet fuel can't melt steel beams" excluded, obviously), let alone black metal

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah you wanna let us in on a little more of that vague rear end post?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Mitski's dad worked for the state department therefore the CIA controls indie rock.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

COOL CORN posted:

It was honestly just a brain fart. Graham Elwood read an anonymous letter claiming to be from an industry insider that alleged that the CIA was responsible for the rise of gangsta rap, and I was wondering if there was anything equally lol for BM.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Burzum were late-Soviet era desinformatsiya designed to make fascists look dumb as hell. Debut in 1991, same year as the dissolution of the Soviet Union. 1993 album called "Det som engang var". "That which once was" - sound like a certain something else to you? (It's communism)

I really wish my mind palace would have taken me to a place that isn't #resist-y as all hell, but all I could come up with otherwise was "Death SS were part of Operation Gladio"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Smirr posted:

Burzum were late-Soviet era desinformatsiya designed to make fascists look dumb as hell. Debut in 1991, same year as the dissolution of the Soviet Union. 1993 album called "Det som engang var". "That which once was" - sound like a certain something else to you? (It's communism)

makes sense :tinfoil:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol no dude Varg's been a CIA asset since the beginning, Euronymous had to go for flying too close to the sun when he discovered that eating Dead's brains juiced the adrenochrome way up

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

olives black posted:

Blaming the CIA for various trends in art seems to be all the rage these days. Just wondering - has anyone read any entertaining theories about our beloved subgenre lately? I'm bored and would like some light reading material.

edit: I'm guessing that they would really only deal with stuff that's in the mainstream. The idea of them bothering with BM is therefore highly :lol: but whatevs figured I'd ask anyway

Many european nsbm bands are directly tied to or involved in far right political organisations so there's bound to be intelligence agency connections there somewhere. The most obvious would probably be Ukrainian bands like nokturnal mortum who are supportive of the neonazi elements in the US backed Ukrainian government. I'm not sure why this is funny though, seems pretty serious!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

A human heart posted:

Many european nsbm bands are directly tied to or involved in far right political organisations so there's bound to be intelligence agency connections there somewhere. The most obvious would probably be Ukrainian bands like nokturnal mortum who are supportive of the neonazi elements in the US backed Ukrainian government. I'm not sure why this is funny though, seems pretty serious!

In retrospect I should have excluded NSBM because it's too obvious. As I said, this was a complete brain fart of a post and deep down I mostly just wanted to see some jokes at Varg/Euronymous' expense because that poo poo will never not be funny to me

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Abbath is a CIA plant to make black metal seem goofy but also cool as all hell.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

If you've seen Abbaths guitar lesson you know that he has no idea what he's doing, so it must be the chip the CIA implanted...

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Does 'Satanic black metal music' being played for hours at Guantanamo bay count? How about if the officer then dressed as a Catholic priest and baptised a Muslim prisoner?

Edit: link to article - https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/02/AR2007010201219.html

crazyvanman fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 12, 2020

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

crazyvanman posted:

Does 'Satanic black metal music' being played for hours at Guantanamo bay count? How about if the officer then dressed as a Catholic priest and baptised a Muslim prisoner?

Edit: link to article - https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/02/AR2007010201219.html

They did the same thing with Skinny Puppy and iirc Ministry. Skinny Puppy sued them for 666K

olives black fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 12, 2020

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

olives black posted:

They did the same thing with Skinny Puppy and iirc Ministry. Skinny Puppy sued them for 666K

That's cool as poo poo. Unlike Drowning Pool whose music was played to prisoners, and who then performed at 'Freedom Fest' at Guantanamo Bay...

Also just about to play new Afsky and mega excited. Found them through this thread and were one of my favourite bm finds from last year.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
The new Afsky is fantastic. Some other albums I've really been enjoying lately: Vengeful Spectre (Chinese black metal with folk instruments), Oranssi Pazuzu, Izthmi, Aara, Mare Cognitum/Spectral Lore, Sojurner, Obsidian Tongue, and Marrasmieli.

In personally disappointing news, Gaerea is now selling a Blood and Soil shirt on their website. :( I didn't think they were fashy before this, but I don't see how that wasn't a conscious choice.

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 15, 2020

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A Game of Chess posted:

In personally disappointing news, Gaerea is now selling a Blood and Soil shirt on their website. :( I didn't think they were fashy before this, but I don't see how that wasn't a conscious choice.

FWIW that shirt is now called Lone Wanderer and there's no mention of blood and soil anymore. Dunno if this is them hiding it or realising a fuckup.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Yeah I just noticed the link redirects to a renamed shirt. I’d really like it to be a gently caress up since I loved their last album (I have a shirt and everything!) but it’s such a commonly known phrase that I’m not entirely sure it can be. Idk. I guess I’ll keep an eye on them. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Oranssi Pazuzu playing their newest album live from hometown on stream starting in twenty minutes or so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfANRKPnC8M