Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Panzeh posted:

Probably late on this but I watched OJ: Made in America and was blown away by how good it is after watching the dreck that was The Last Dance.

I’ve only watched 5 episodes of the last dance so far but I think it’s been fantastic. What’s dreck about it to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

GutBomb posted:

I’ve only watched 5 episodes of the last dance so far but I think it’s been fantastic. What’s dreck about it to you?

Every interesting storyline ending up back at Jordan. I know, it's Jordan's authorized documentary, but it works against the quality of the work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We need an unauthorized extra episode laying down all the poo poo people say about Jordan too, for balance. I'm still looking forward to it, but I know the OJ docu wouldn't have been as good if Juice signed off on it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Panzeh posted:

Probably late on this but I watched OJ: Made in America and was blown away by how good it is after watching the dreck that was The Last Dance.

I've been enjoying TLD for what it is but OJ: MIA is on another level with its incisive and nuanced rumination on how sports, race, politics, law, and popular culture uniquely intersected in OJ's life and career. Honestly one of the best documentaries ever made.

TLD on the other hand is a fluffy, nostalgic hagiography dressed up as an insightful, prying biopic. For those of you not reading the SAS thread, David Roth has written great recaps of each episode and in his discussions of the last two eps he's done a good job of teasing out how the documentary when viewed with a skeptical eye actually does a good job of revealing the true character of Jordan:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/05/the-last-dance-part-7-recap.html
https://www.vulture.com/2020/05/the-last-dance-part-8-recap.html

The man just has, in his own words, a "competition problem."

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Watched American Factory, would definitely recommend it. I cannot believe some of the poo poo people were willing to say on camera. The most primo capitalism moment was when they fire the entire US management team, who had been anti union, and replace them with Chinese managers. Some real crab bucket poo poo.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Lemony posted:

Watched American Factory, would definitely recommend it. I cannot believe some of the poo poo people were willing to say on camera. The most primo capitalism moment was when they fire the entire US management team, who had been anti union, and replace them with Chinese managers. Some real crab bucket poo poo.

I loved the American manager telling the Chinese how the American work ethic sucks. Some real pearls there.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I loved the American manager telling the Chinese how the American work ethic sucks. Some real pearls there.

Followed up by him trying to implement the pseudo military style stuff with his team in the American plant while the team members all give him side eye looks that say "This is dumb as poo poo." Then he gives the lamest half assed attempt at a morning brief.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lemony posted:

I have family that lives in a town like that and yeah it's so good. Hit very close to home.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Wrinkles the Clown on Hulu, uh, sure is something

I love that the premise is that that's some of the best work clowns can get. It makes sense. Like the saying goes, kids are scared of clowns and adults think they're stupid so what's the point?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does HotDocs have an app?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Lemony posted:

Followed up by him trying to implement the pseudo military style stuff with his team in the American plant while the team members all give him side eye looks that say "This is dumb as poo poo." Then he gives the lamest half assed attempt at a morning brief.

I just stopped watching it, I thought it was really depressing seeing people being sold out like that. Especially the workers who just want a job but all the wages are cut and all the other horrible stuff happening.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Been watching the Epstein thing. :barf:

This is absolutely horrific.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
One of my recent faves The Challenge is on Hulu. If you like weird poo poo with amazing photography, this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_hts5A_fWc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kull the Conqueror posted:

One of my recent faves The Challenge is on Hulu. If you like weird poo poo with amazing photography, this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_hts5A_fWc

Yo this is really really fuckin good y'all

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I just stopped watching it, I thought it was really depressing seeing people being sold out like that. Especially the workers who just want a job but all the wages are cut and all the other horrible stuff happening.

Oh agreed, super depressing. I pretty much spent my entire viewing angry, especially because while I wasn't familiar with this particular case I knew exactly how it would go from the start. I especially wanted to reach through my screen and smack the "labour consultant" the factory brought in to tell lies about unionization.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Lemony posted:

Oh agreed, super depressing. I pretty much spent my entire viewing angry, especially because while I wasn't familiar with this particular case I knew exactly how it would go from the start. I especially wanted to reach through my screen and smack the "labour consultant" the factory brought in to tell lies about unionization.

I just hate to see well meaning people get hosed over through no fault of their own, I mean just making ends meet and providing for your family seems like not to much to ask, but even that it too much.... work more for less. You are your job, and you will smile while we gently caress you over. Goddamn.

Waltzing Along posted:

Been watching the Epstein thing. :barf:

This is absolutely horrific.

The whole thing is so out there and implicates so many people it is mind blowing.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I'm three quarters of the way through the Epstein doc and it's amazing how much they don't even touch on. Like the fact that the person who hired Epstein at Dalton even though he didn't have a degree was Attorney General Bill Barr's father. Or that Epstein's hedge fund, which exclusively works with billionaire investors and which was the primary source of his wealth, has no real operational staff to speak of. Or that he wanted to use his NM ranch as a base from which to impregnate huge numbers of women and seed the human race with his DNA. Or that he wanted his head and weird egg-dick to be frozen for posterity, so that he could rape girls from beyond the grave.

Probably for the best that they kept it focused though. The one detail from this doc I'd never heard of but which makes a lot of sense was that he had a sexual relationship with Les Wexner, and probably blackmailed him or something. That goes a long way towards explaining the bizarre stranglehold he had on that guy.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 30, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just wanna reiterate so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle: you want to watch The Challenge.

It's surreal, beautiful, sad, infuriating, alien, even kinda funny. It's really interesting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve wanted to see that one for time, it’s never had the best distribution. Maybe I’ll just buy it on Amazon’s digital service.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm three quarters of the way through the Epstein doc and it's amazing how much they don't even touch on. Like the fact that the person who hired Epstein at Dalton even though he didn't have a degree was Attorney General Bill Barr's father. Or that Epstein's hedge fund, which exclusively works with billionaire investors and which was the primary source of his wealth, has no real operational staff to speak of. Or that he wanted to use his NM ranch as a base from which to impregnate huge numbers of women and seed the human race with his DNA. Or that he wanted his head and weird egg-dick to be frozen for posterity, so that he could rape girls from beyond the grave.

Probably for the best that they kept it focused though. The one detail from this doc I'd never heard of but which makes a lot of sense was that he had a sexual relationship with Les Wexner, and probably blackmailed him or something. That goes a long way towards explaining the bizarre stranglehold he had on that guy.

they didn't go into how he got his money, mainly being an embezzler for other billionaires?

they go into ghislaine maxwell and her being in Chelsea Clinton's wedding lol?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Can anyone recommend a good documentary on the history of the Soviet Union? Thanks!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Werner Herzog did a movie a couple years ago that was an extended interview with Mikhail Gorbechev--it's a fantastic inside look at the rise and fall of the soviet union.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

mod sassinator posted:

Werner Herzog did a movie a couple years ago that was an extended interview with Mikhail Gorbechev--it's a fantastic inside look at the rise and fall of the soviet union.

Really enjoyed that one!

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I posted this series in the thread 9 years ago, but here's a cool series I used to like watching on the Discovery Channel when I was a kid:

Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious Universe - 1994

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpf-o-gGms2AzvlUFaIulsrTZeuyL-6KD

Arthur C Clarke presents 30 minute episodes about paranormal mysteries. It takes a surprisingly neutral, open-minded yet skeptical look at things like crop circles, crypto-zoology, ghosts & hauntings, etc.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I got to see that at the local film festival, Cleveland international film fest. When I saw "Werner Herzog" as director I was like "no loving way" and called off work

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Ages ago, someone recommended the IDFA website (which has loads of documentaries) and in particular Ukrainian Sheriffs. Caught up with it last week and it's fabulous.

The pitch is that somewhere in rural Ukraine, in the absence of any proper police two guys have been appointed as ad hoc town sheriffs. SO they rattle about in a decrepit Lada, settling domestic abuses, clearing up rubbish, talking the town drunk into cleaning up his act. Meanwhile, Russia is invading the Crimea ... bleak, but oddly heartwarming too, with some deadpan humour.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Here's a documentary about Dax Flame that idubbbz just put out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYk4ymtQ1WM

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Nostalgia for the Light is a fantastic documentary exploring the intersections between history, science, and memory. I only read part of the description, thinking it was just going to be about the telescopes in Chile and was happy to find out that it spent a lot of time talking about the aftermath of the dictatorship under Pinochet

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just watched this awesome doc that has interviews with a ton of comic book artists and writers, both indie and pro, many of whom are still working in the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SgkTEjH1k

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Fleetwood posted:

Nostalgia for the Light is a fantastic documentary exploring the intersections between history, science, and memory. I only read part of the description, thinking it was just going to be about the telescopes in Chile and was happy to find out that it spent a lot of time talking about the aftermath of the dictatorship under Pinochet

I've found that from talking to docmakers and attending lots of screenings, Nostalgia for the Light is one of the major recent touchstones for nonfiction artists looking to push the medium forward. As much as it has this sort-of heady premise on paper, where we're comparing and contrasting astronomy with dictatorship, it remains eminently watchable and accessible. It's an essential watch.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't know if it's proper for me to do this so give me a hard time if it isn't.

I recently wrapped up production on my longest mini-doc to date, this time following the Clonaid story of the early 2000s where a French cult got financial backing to begin research into human cloning. As you can pretty well imagine...things don't quite shake out how they wanted them to. Aside from some staunch opposition from both the US government and Catholic Church, members of the public took it upon themselves to challenge both the ethics and the legitimacy of their claims. Enter Dr. Brigitte Boisselier, a charismatic French figure who claims to hold two Ph. D's who acted as spokesman for Clonaid. She was happy to give interviews to whoever would have her on where she espoused how great cloning was and how it'll give humanity a shot at immortality.

Now you're probably thinking this cult business is just your average doomsday prophecy or something of the sort. Oh goodness no. Rael, the leader of this cult, is very much into aliens. In fact, he thinks life on Earth came about in a manner similar to the Star Trek episode 'The Chase' where we find out our DNA was manipulated, along with that of many other species, to go along a path similar to an advanced race of extraterrestrials with a stake in earth.

Honestly this is just scratching the surface of it; there's a lot of insane small details like Michael Jackson's supposed involvement and what troubles they got into overseas. If you like it, please let me know, if you don't like it, also let me know because I'm still an amateur but don't want to be stuck in the "YouTuber" quality of content forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jawKOcvLDJA

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I will definitely watch this

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I haven’t heard anything about the Raelians since Tom Green messed around with them. A blast from the past for sure.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! Are there any other documentaries in the same vein as this? The Act of Killing comes to mind atleast.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I just watched Happy Happy Joy Joy: The Ren & Stimpy Story and it was really good. It does go into the horrible things John K. has done and the documentary makers do confront him about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

We Know Catheters posted:

I just watched Happy Happy Joy Joy: The Ren & Stimpy Story and it was really good. It does go into the horrible things John K. has done and the documentary makers do confront him about it.

Where did you watch this? I don't see it on streaming anywhere. Maybe i'm just missing it or something?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s new, so it’s rent/purchase on Amazon and iTunes Store (and probably others) rather than Netflix or Prime streaming.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

battlepigeon posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! Are there any other documentaries in the same vein as this? The Act of Killing comes to mind atleast.

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Just watched Spaceship Earth on Hulu. It's about Biosphere 2, a self-contained replica of Earth's ecosystem built in 1991 by a group of genius dreamers/ counterculture weirdos/ dangerous cult members (depending on who you believe), with the plan to live in it for two years. My wife and I loved it, but it's only got a 65% audience score on RT, so check it out if it sounds interesting, I guess. V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I agree it was a very interesting documentary. It's pretty traditional in its setup but it works.