Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What a thing to wake up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/goons_txt/status/1154541858716028928

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I did enjoy the Duke gang tag mysteriously changing to a Serious Sam one just after the release of DNF when everyone realised it was exploitative trash. And Axe disappearing for a couple of months soon afterward.

Good times.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kurnugia posted:

well, the guy did intentionally turn himself into a meme. and sure, maybe his regret for that is genuine and he would like to be forgotten now, but getting permaed for pedophilia advocacy is still a thing that happened and it's still pretty goddamn hilarious. i guess it would be good for seraph to get all those posts scrubbed, but it won't make me forget that it happened, or stop me from posting jokes about it. and further, trying to ban goons from laughing at something is liable to cause the exact opposite result

uhh... actually, am i gonna get banned for mocking seraph (for his pedophilia permaban) from now on?

No, I was saying that if Terrible Opinions had just out of nowhere decided to start rumors of Seraph being on a registry due to something involving a family member, that's a pretty messed up thing to make up about someone for a few different reasons. It sounds, though, like that isn't the case and it's something that had arisen before.

I am pretty much just saying that in general we shouldn't accuse people of pedophilia/being sex offenders without some sort of basis.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 12, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

No, I was saying that if Terrible Opinions had just out of nowhere decided to start rumors of Seraph being on a registry due to something involving a family member, that's a pretty messed up thing to make up about someone for a few different reasons. It sounds, though, like that isn't the case and it's something that had arisen before.

I am pretty much just saying that in general we shouldn't accuse people of pedophilia without some sort of basis.

last I heard accusing someone of pedophilia without basis(at least in private with a mod) was banworthy. is that only in certain subs?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Star Citizen thread will be sorely depopulated if they start banning for that.

oh my god, that'd be terrible

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RFC2324 posted:

last I heard accusing someone of pedophilia without basis(at least in private with a mod) was banworthy. is that only in certain subs?

that's what I'm saying but a few goons confirmed this is something they'd heard before and TO wasn't just making it up wholecloth. I don't remember the other names but I certainly trust Malachite.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Post Your Favorite (or Request): To post is human; to list, divine. › SA's Greatest Sagas thread farrowed a mini-saga

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

that's what I'm saying but a few goons confirmed this is something they'd heard before and TO wasn't just making it up wholecloth. I don't remember the other names but I certainly trust Malachite.
We're both no-avatars who make bad posts but that was originally MisterOblivious. Though I concurred that it was brought to light by fishmech doxxing them.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't remember the other names but I certainly trust Malachite.

Oh wait I know that one, that was FuzzyModem!

Star Citizen backer, I think helped them out with moving into their office or something way back when hopes were still high.

Turned into one of Those SC People, then got arrested for... well, you can infer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, what I was kinda getting at is that if people were accusing seraph of being a registered offender without having backed it up somehow, they likely would have been banned for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Love it when the sagas come from inside the thread.

Seraph coming in does make me wonder... do you think former posters ever stop and are like "wassss.... onmnnnce... a. Goooooooooon"?

Like ElfPr0n opens a browser tab and looks at old bookmarks and just sighs?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm sure they remember it the same way I remember high school, by waking up in a cold sweat after a nightmare.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hate the aatrek obsession but also username because SA is the second best place on the internet to talk about Star Trek

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pick posted:

I hate the aatrek obsession but also username because SA is the second best place on the internet to talk about Star Trek

The first being....

This is joke setup.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

corgski posted:

I'm sure they remember it the same way I remember high school, by waking up in a cold sweat after a nightmare.

I'm sure a few of them, the people who posted for years and years, 10k's of posts, probably have accounts they just manage to have the self control to not post from.

I can't really imagine anyone so furious that after eating a perma having browsed and posted on the forums for 5-10 years they just give up and go to reddit or 4chan. Even the SASS people were constantly browsing anonymously even though a few of them just couldn't help themselves and start flinging poo poo.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Did seraph’s thread get moved out of QCS? I saw it this morning but when I went to read it now, it’s gone.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It was gassed.https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923054

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, what I was kinda getting at is that if people were accusing seraph of being a registered offender without having backed it up somehow, they likely would have been banned for it.

:ocelot: gotcha :) and sorry TO!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Hmm. That was anticlimactic.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

The first being....

This is joke setup.

The NAMBLA forums, i suppose?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Love it when the sagas come from inside the thread.

Seraph coming in does make me wonder... do you think former posters ever stop and are like "wassss.... onmnnnce... a. Goooooooooon"?

Like ElfPr0n opens a browser tab and looks at old bookmarks and just sighs?

Now that is a name I have not heard in quite some time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not a joke setup. I just like tumblr best for trek. Both are good though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Now that is a name I have not heard in quite some time

We should probably keep it that way

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pick posted:

Huh. I thought you were going for r/nambla.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Regardless if it was intended as a setup or not, it's a decent setup and you should feel free to use it and make some laughs

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm just glad that seraph has finally learned to stop posting screen stretching graphs or pictures of his own bare rear end in every single one of his posts. Unless that was a different brain wormed YOSPOS bitcoiner.
he posted a picture of his girlfriend's butt in bike shorts or something and after like half a page of people making fun of her hank hill rear end he revealed himself as supreme puppetmaster by saying he hoped nobody had jerked off to it because it was, in fact, his rear end!!! dun dun dun. that's the only time i can remember.
he did really like graphs though, and linking tepid burns to youtube videos.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pick posted:

I know you didn’t intend it to be a joke set up.

That’s the joke too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So speaking of people who inserted "badass" images into their posts whenever they thought they made a point, did Jim Profit ever end up on SA's trad games? I remember him making the rounds and getting banned from just about every other trad games discussion platform in the late aughts, but I was browsing SA at the time. He had very strong opinions about the correct way to play nerd games and embedded naruto screenshots in every single post.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Terrible Opinions posted:

So speaking of people who inserted "badass" images into their posts whenever they thought they made a point, did Jim Profit ever end up on SA's trad games? I remember him making the rounds and getting banned from just about every other trad games discussion platform in the late aughts, but I was browsing SA at the time. He had very strong opinions about the correct way to play nerd games and embedded naruto screenshots in every single post.

Nothing involving profit has ever appeared on the Something Awful forums

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hey everybody what did I

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Proverbs 26:11 : "Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

tight aspirations posted:

I did enjoy the Duke gang tag mysteriously changing to a Serious Sam one just after the release of DNF when everyone realised it was exploitative trash. And Axe disappearing for a couple of months soon afterward.

Good times.

Remember the ending of Patton where George C. Scott talks about Roman triumphs and how one guy whispered in the dude being honored's ear about hubris? Yeah, looking at the collector's edition of DNF taking up space in my closet is basically my version of that.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Remember the ending of Patton where George C. Scott talks about Roman triumphs and how one guy whispered in the dude being honored's ear about hubris? Yeah, looking at the collector's edition of DNF taking up space in my closet is basically my version of that.

Does the Duke bust cast silent judgement upon you whenever you go grab a shirt or something?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not entirely relevant, but god drat was George C. Scott a great actor. He was so loving intense (apparently on set as well as on film), but also capable of being absolutely hilarious when called for.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Goon Boots posted:

Does the Duke bust cast silent judgement upon you whenever you go grab a shirt or something?

More or less, yeah.

Wait, is this the shameful confession thread?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the most unsung saga is that Microwave turned out to be right that DNF would turn out to be garbage

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I watched the Unorthodox miniseries the other day and it reminded me of one of the best threads of all time, Fascinator's Ask me about growing up in a Hasidic community. It's an amazing story that may or may not have brought creepy Satmar watchdogs to SA.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Have some content

Durf posted:

One of my fave SA stories was where a girl's blind date was going well and she ended up back at the dude's place. He's got a pizza in the oven and they're making out, but when the timer goes off he pulls away and gets this look of terror on his face, and says "This is my least favorite part "

He opens the oven and immediately grabs the pan barehanded, screaming like a maniac.

There was no second date

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Wasn't this a skit on Malcolm in the Middle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

Have some content

That came up as an askreddit thing on an episode of “I don’t even own a television” I was listening to the other day.