Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Season 1 is a high-quality production that feels like it was produced without the idea it would get a 2nd season. The 2nd season is a regular season of anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

As amazing as this fight is (and it is amazing, like others said easily a contender for one of the best I’ll ever see) it still bums me out a little that they left out Boros’ smile at the end from the manga. On the other hand, the OK gag is even more hilarious now.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

The heartbeat of excitement Boros got that Saitama's been chasing since the first episode. Techniques that cut your life in order to stand up to the impossible foe. It's all the best things of a shonen in a neat twist.

Yeah, I love how the music, heartbeat, and even the shot of Boros running are all a callback to Saitama's dream in episode 1.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I said it when it came out and I'll say it again.

Season 2 has descended, and the poo poo just blew

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I think it's fair to say that the "content" of season 2 is just no where close to season 1, regardless of who was animating it.

In my personal opinion, the manga chapters that comprise season 2 are probably the low point of the series (before getting really good again with the assault on the Monster Association.

So I'm not sure season 2 could have ever lived up to the legacy of S1.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The people who like season 2 are just glad there's more one punch man

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bucswabe posted:

I think it's fair to say that the "content" of season 2 is just no where close to season 1, regardless of who was animating it.

In my personal opinion, the manga chapters that comprise season 2 are probably the low point of the series (before getting really good again with the assault on the Monster Association.

yeah. the animations not as good but its still the canon story. unfortunately its the most boring part of the canon story

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah. the animations not as good but its still the canon story. unfortunately its the most boring part of the canon story

It's really not the most boring part since it's the initial rampage of Garou, a bunch of dragon level monsters showing up getting into these massive fights with people. And even the Maxim tournament was fun because we got stuff like Suiryu, choze, Genos cleaning house on the sidelines, and the monster invasion there. But the god awful pacing, terrible animation and visuals, bizarre sound design choices, and missed opportunities will do nothing to make it appealing to people just watching the anime.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Bucswabe posted:

The biggest reason season 2 didn't work for me was because of the awful animation and pacing of the scenes. A lot of the fights in the manga were really drat cool but in the anime they were really drat bad. Basically every fight the anime decided to animate was awesome in the manga, especially Bat-guy vs Garou, but it was just plain bad in the show.

If they have the same quality for season 3 it's also going to suck because who wants to see all the S-heroes go up against monsters and fight them when it looks like poo poo?

The manga conveyed more movement and better action than the actual animated show

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 11, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Imagine the Boros fight animated with the same quality as season 2? It wouldn't have been remembered at all.

There is so much flair, creativity and personality to the animation in S1 which elevates the already good art and framing from the original mangas.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only positives about Season 2's animation is that it's badness made some things funnier. Like Saitama's ARENA SLIDE.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Season 2 was bland and it's hard to watch Season 1 again after hearing all the poo poo that went down at Madhouse.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Don't make me tap this .jpg again!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

graham cracker posted:

Goddamn, I know Season 1 was a dream team passion project but that’s just bad on its own merits.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yes, season 2 looks bad, no denying it, and I may be making a strawman here, but let’s not poo poo on the animators.

These are people obviously talented enough to get jobs in the industry being asked to churn out drawings on a horrendous schedule for pennies in many cases.

S1 was good in spite of that, yes, but I’m not sure if it was on as nearly as tight of a schedule as season 2.

Basically, I feel bad for the animators who obviously got into the game out of a love for anime and have to hear their work torn to shreds for reasons largely out of their control.

Blame the anime industry and Japanese workaholic society as a whole, not the artists.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

graham cracker posted:

lol drat

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
that fight is definitely the low point of the season

TTM v Garou is legitimately good, though.

the contrast hurts. i was really looking forward to the metal bat fight being animated. otherwise i am in the "super glad i got more one punch animated" camp. garou was pretty much perfect

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nanigans posted:

Blame the anime industry and Japanese workaholic society as a whole, not the artists.

But they are horribly poorly drawn, though.

You can trust me, I'm an expert at drawing poorly.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

It's still a bit unfair to blame the artists. they likely could be pretty talented, but if you gotta churn out poo poo at a breakneck speed, you can't really put all those nice lovely details in there. They were likely being run ragged and not really given the proper time or direction to pull off season 1 tier quality

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Slightly Absurd posted:

It's still a bit unfair to blame the artists. they likely could be pretty talented, but if you gotta churn out poo poo at a breakneck speed, you can't really put all those nice lovely details in there. They were likely being run ragged and not really given the proper time or direction to pull off season 1 tier quality

Did the 2nd season really have less time for development than the first season? I know the first season had a lot of talent coming together, but I don't think they had vastly more time to work on episodes compared to the 2nd season. I'm not blaming any team, just trying to get context here.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Brought To You By posted:

Did the 2nd season really have less time for development than the first season? I know the first season had a lot of talent coming together, but I don't think they had vastly more time to work on episodes compared to the 2nd season. I'm not blaming any team, just trying to get context here.

My understanding is they wanted to do the same thing as Season 1 (dream team of ppl who will work themselves to death to make OPM) but all the kickass ppl were busy so they gave it to JC Staff who had roughly... 10 other animes they were making at the time. It didn't get the love it deserved, and that team is capable of not loving poo poo up. They made DanMachi!

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

yeah, and i imagine all those artists were pretty painfully aware that it wasn't up to the same quality as the first season. sure, there are many delusional artists out there, but i'd imagine the vast majority of artists in animation have a pretty good eye for what's good quality or not. sometimes those deadlines are bastards, and you've got to turn in something, anything, it doesn't fuckin' matter as long as they're able to get that poo poo on the air on time.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I wish it got the same treatment as Mob Psycho, where they waited until they got the exact same team who made the first season so amazing no matter how long it took and also took time to properly manage time.

The difference in change in quality between seasons is rather stark. Mob Psycho got better. OPM, well, we know what happened.

Also watch Mob Psycho.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 12, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Speaking of Mob Psycho, Dark Horse has only just released the fourth Mob Psycho volume. It’s absurd how slow their release schedule is. I freaking hate Dark Horse, I wish Viz had bought the rights instead

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

skaianDestiny posted:

I wish it got the same treatment as Mob Psycho, where they waited until they got the exact same team who made the first season so amazing no matter how long it took and also took time to properly manage time.

The difference in change in quality between seasons is rather stark. Mob Psycho got better. OPM, well, we know what happened.

Also watch Mob Psycho.

Yea I think the fact that OPM Season 1 was hitting big in the US meant they wanted to capitalize on the excitement as quickly as possible. The other thing they maybe could have done is greenlit S2 immediately but I think they waited more than a year to greenlight it??

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I haven't actually seen Mob Psycho yet, just picked up scenes from youtube here and there. But scenes like these assure me that the anime is completely awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuL1x8qu1B8

Just so good. I love good animation and very few anime shows have it these days

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I haven't actually seen Mob Psycho yet, just picked up scenes from youtube here and there. But scenes like these assure me that the anime is completely awesome:

I do not say this lightly, especially because of how skeptical I was when people said it to me, but...

Mob Psycho 100 is better than One Punch Man.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

chiasaur11 posted:

I do not say this lightly, especially because of how skeptical I was when people said it to me, but...

Absolutely. Both from a story and animation standpoint.

I still like OPM better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I was gonna write a whole thing but basically ONE is kind of the Terry Pratchett of anime

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

not only is this fight beautify drawn, but the sight gag at the end (not shown in the clip) is one of the funniest jokes ive seen in a long time

chiasaur11 posted:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

One of the best parts of Mob Psycho is watching the show and then slowly recognizing parts of the intros, such as the graphic of mob's heart exploding into a mushroom cloud/broccoli bloom in the season 1 OP

holy poo poo watch MP100 immediately if you haven't

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kuvo posted:

not only is this fight beautify drawn, but the sight gag at the end (not shown in the clip) is one of the funniest jokes ive seen in a long time

It's amazing, the fight goes on long and normally enough that you sort of forget it's a comedy so it hits you even better

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zzulu posted:

Holy poo poo i have to watch this

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Okay I'm sold. Is Mob Psycho on Netflix or Hulu?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Okay I'm sold. Is Mob Psycho on Netflix or Hulu?

Prime or Crunchyroll

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
If you're still not sold just on that fight I'll let you know the video cuts off before literally the best part.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chiasaur11 posted:

:emptyquote:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Speaking of Mob Psycho, Dark Horse has only just released the fourth Mob Psycho volume. It’s absurd how slow their release schedule is. I freaking hate Dark Horse, I wish Viz had bought the rights instead

It was released at the end of March. At least that's when I got mine.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I was gonna write a whole thing but basically ONE is kind of the Terry Pratchett of anime

this tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kild posted:

Prime or Crunchyroll

I learned it is unavailable on prime so RIP me