Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Milo and POTUS posted:

This guy shocked by Whitesville has never heard of a lynchburg I guess

The super weird thing about this is that Lynchburg's founder is the brother of the guy that lynching was probably named for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's a "Whitehaven" in Memphis. It has very few white people now, but it was honky city back before the civil rights era.

Graceland is there.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Godholio posted:

The super weird thing about this is that Lynchburg's founder is the brother of the guy that lynching was probably named for.

if your family has a thing named after you, you already have a leg up in name recognition
:goonsay:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's a "Whitehaven" in Memphis. It has very few white people now, but it was honky city back before the civil rights era.

Graceland is there.

Crackerville, FL.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So Air Force 2 just became SAM672 mid-flight. Kinda weird.

Currently 35k over western Massachusetts, heading NNE.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Does is stop being Air Force 2 when the VP steps off it or leaves this mortal coil?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

VP finishing his jump qual.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:rip: pence

or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdaeVone5qA

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ManMythLegend posted:

So an armed mob of white men that came to do violence on a minority for crimes real or imagined can't be called a "lynch mob" because they didn't succeed for whatever reason?

Like, I'm as pedantic as the next guy but this seems like a hella bad take my man.

I scanned a few different articles and didn't read anything that the people in the mob were planning to kill the guy. Changing the definition to turn a mob into a lynching if someone is armed debases the word and minimizes the magnitude of what lynching is.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

lol, Schrodinger's lynch mob.

"How can we know their intent?", he says as the armed white mob tries to drag away a black teenager for imagined offenses with a girl.
Short answer: when it becomes a lynching, then you can call it a lynching.
Still too short answer:
And here we get to another part of the problem. We have to make decisions about people's intent with imperfect information every day. In criminal law, the people in the system have to make those same decisions, except the consequences of getting it wrong are usually much higher. Intent is usually 'proved' by inferences based on facts built up to reach a reasonable conclusion. What I have seen with Trumpy Thought (what you're advocating) is that people start with their prejudices, reach a feeling about what must have happened, and decide that that is their conclusion. It scares the crap out of me, because how do you teach jurors how to think to a conclusion rather than lazily check their gut (which the prosecutor has told them is just 'common sense') in 45 minutes?
Jailer Jim-Bob having a gun absent, other evidence, like a yell of kill the _, or string him up, or someone with a rope or can of gasoline, or reminding a mob member that they're meeting up again at [the dead end of some dirt road somewhere] doesn't get you to a lynch mob or a lynching.
Trumpy Thought hurts minorities more than it does elites (auto correct put in whiteys). Trumpy Thought in criminal law absolutely fucks minorities and the poor.

I whine and moan about Trumpy Thought and Cersei Lannister narrative crafting a lot here because when I see it among people I respect and agree with on most things, it galls me, because we're supposed to be the good guys and not pull that stupid poo poo.

No, that's a murder, but this thread has a powerful feeling for yes.

LingcodKilla posted:

Pffft lynch mobs these days. Back in the good ol days If we had a wrong address we’d just have a two-fer-one.

These loving disgusting people need to be smashed hard by the rule of law so they stop these “I’m not touching you” actions. The minute they think they will get away with it their bravery will spark up and a strong black mama won’t be enough to push them back.

Eh, if we're turning the brain off and going with feelings, punish ersatz/debased 'lynching' with the full weight of the rule of law (ignore the irony, please) and just extrajudicially execute those who do lynchings.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ManMythLegend posted:

VP finishing his jump qual.

Pence pulling a db cooper

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The mob formerly known as lynch

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

iwentdoodie posted:

Pence pulling a db cooper

I hope he jumped with a briefcase full of trumpbux checks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

That Works posted:

The mob formerly known as lynch

It's only a lynching if it originates from the Lynchburg region, otherwise it's technically a sparkling murder mob.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's only a lynching if it originates from the Lynchburg region, otherwise it's technically a sparkling murder mob.

:discourse:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joat mon posted:

Eh, if we're turning the brain off and going with feelings, punish ersatz/debased 'lynching' with the full weight of the rule of law (ignore the irony, please) and just extrajudicially execute those who do lynchings.

Oh I'm sorry I forget attempt and intent only applies to other crimes. How about terrorism? Can we use that? Do we have to show intent for that these days?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

:golfclap:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This makes the whole conversation almost worth it.

Almost.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
gently caress I'm tired.

First thing I thought of was the 80's hair metal band.

Hit me w a sixer

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

McNally posted:

This makes the whole conversation almost worth it.

Almost.

:same:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1260256034976907264?s=20

I'll post more specifics when I see them, this is what the article has:

quote:

The legislation, which the House is expected to vote on Friday, would devote nearly $1 trillion to state, local, territorial and tribal governments and establish a $200 billion “Heroes Fund” to extend hazard pay to essential workers. It would also send a second - and larger - round of direct payments to individual Americans, up to $6,000 per household. Other parts of the bill would increase nutrition assistance benefits by 15 percent and provide $175 billion in housing assistance, among other things.

e:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1260254988368072707?s=20

And for anyone who wants to read it themselves:

https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/status/1260248656692875267?s=20

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 12, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
IS in Afghanistan (probably) dialing up the evil to 11 with a gunman attack on a maternity ward. “What if school shooting but somehow worse,” seems like where that kind of brainstorming starts.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
McConnell is gonna let it rot on his desk.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mlmp08 posted:

IS in Afghanistan (probably) dialing up the evil to 11 with a gunman attack on a maternity ward. “What if school shooting but somehow worse,” seems like where that kind of brainstorming starts.

I mean, a chud in (I think) Missouri tried to blow up a hospital cause covid is fake, so we're right there with them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's a short recap on the Trump Tax cases at the Supreme Court today:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1260260299720065027?s=19

The general highlights are that the House Democrats' attorney is not very good, Donnie had Sekulol throw some president-as-king chum that Thomas loved, the Solicitor General was a third wheel, and NY's attorney was very good. Sure seems like the supreme court was looking to punt the whole thing.

It's also hilariously stupid that the conservative side of the supreme court is all BUT THE PRESIDENT HAS NO TIME FOR THIS when it has been obvious that Donnie hasn't done poo poo except for watch TV and tweet about the TV for years.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Definitely the high note to end on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

:wow:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

brains posted:

maybe, since in the last 100 years society has moved from describing lynchings as commonplace to a reviled, heinous act, we should recognize there is a lower baseline of unacceptable conduct now? like armed mobs with not-subtle LEO endorsement hunting down black people? to me, that sure seems like the absolute worst thing happening nowadays. yes, lynching is horrific, but (thank loving god) it doesn't happen on the scale it did. a single lynching today would be national news; a 100 years ago, it was a nightly occurrence all over america.

we should be condemning and prosecuting this poo poo in the strongest terms, because the reasoning "oh it's not lynching, that was even worse" ignores the progress already made. there was a huge effort to stop racist fucks from lynching blacks all the loving time, and really the pressure needs to keep going up. racist armed vigilante mobs aren't lynching, but it sure as gently caress is the gateway drug to that poo poo coming back, so it needs to be absolutely crushed.

Up thread there was a video of a jogger who got shot by a crew of whities in a couple truck. It was recorded two months ago, but the footage just got released last week through court order. It is one of the few forms of protected speech in America, sick lynchin vids.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I thought it was their defense lawyer who released the video, thinking it would clear them somehow.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I thought it was their defense lawyer who released the video, thinking it would clear them somehow.

:lol: Wait... is this true? Do you have a source on this?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

:lol: Wait... is this true? Do you have a source on this?

A lawyer who was a friend of theirs leaked it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/us/ahmaud-arbery-video-lawyer.html

He thought it would stop a riot. The lawyer was concerned about rumors the truck had Confederate flags and thought the video would exonerate the racists. Upon reflection, he may not be a lawyer you want to use.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

He thought it would stop a riot. The lawyer was concerned about rumors the truck had Confederate flags and thought the video would exonerate the racists. Upon reflection, he may not be a lawyer you want to use.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

quote:

At times during the interview, a woman could be heard in the background whispering suggested answers to Mr. Tucker.
By Friday afternoon, Mr. Tucker said that it had been decided that he would not be retained as the lawyer for either of the McMichaels, and it was unclear who was representing them.

Holy poo poo this guy makes Lionel Hutz look like Perry Mason. Usually one gets a lawyer to stay out of jail, not end up there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just how low was his bar to pass.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Remember, we're dealing with people that think good public policy is telling black people to go back to Mexico.

It's a very Trumpian thing - everyone must think like I do, so *of course* this video is going to exonerate my friends!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

Just how low was his bar to pass.

Well, Georgia, so I assume writing your name on your bar test is a passing grade.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What's the character limit on titles again?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slim Pickens posted:

What's the character limit on titles again?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alright after some investigation, it appears that the limit is 75, or 85, or 100, depending on how and where you're doing it. Because radium.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
May 2020 CE: If it didn't come from the Lynchburg region, it's technically a sparkling murder mob

97 characters

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Slim Pickens posted:

May 2020 CE: If it didn't come from Lynchburg, it's a sparkling murder mob

Still kinda works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I dont get it