Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'd love to see Sony or Nintendo jag something fun as poo poo like Jet Set Radio 3 outta nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's cool that PSO2 finally made it, but it's an eight-year-old game now. are people really hungering for it? is it fun?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's cool that PSO2 finally made it, but it's an eight-year-old game now. are people really hungering for it? is it fun?

Played Japanese version for years, been enjoying it again on Xbox One, and waiting for it on PC. It has a small goon following at least! I've noticed the social media accounts contain a lot of people begging for the PC release already, and to port it to PS4 in America (not gonna happen, Microsoft is the publisher for America).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played PSO an insane number of hours in high school so I'll at least try it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1260212816721711107?s=20

Lmao this is sad. Little Big Planet hasn't had a game in five years, it's been over a decade since a new Jak and Daxter, and The Last of Us is about to spectacularly face plant on the release of it's second game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Last of Us 2 will do pretty well probably idk

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It'll probably sell a ton regardless of how it does critically but there are some choices that I can see even the typical easy-to-please game reviewer not enjoying.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The leaks will not prevent the Last of Us 2 from selling extremely well. Most people will never see or know about the controversy around the game, or they won't care and/or see it as the big issue that it is.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The combined controversies of work crunch, story spoilers and dog murder will affect the purchase decisions of 10 total people, 9 of which are aspiring dog killers. It will get 97 on Metacritic and sell 20 million copies. The HBO show will run 7 seasons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The combined controversies of work crunch, story spoilers and dog murder will affect the purchase decisions of 10 total people, 9 of which are aspiring dog killers. It will get 97 on Metacritic and sell 20 million copies. The HBO show will run 7 seasons.

The AMC show has already run 10 seasons

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Lurdiak posted:

God loving drat it. I've been working on a game with almost this exact premise and mechanic. This is worse than the time crescent moon games sued me out of the rights to my game's title.

well if it's any consolation, a similar thing happened to them with Lenna's Inception and undertale

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't think The Last of Us 2 will flop, but I do genuinely expect it to underperform. And not really because of the spoilers. Because this is the worst possible time to release a game like that. It's like the opposite of Animal Crossing. The generals Public's stomach for that kind of material is going to be at it's lowest ever. And then the lovely story means there won't be much positive word of mouth.

It's not going to flop, because gamers eat the slop, but I don't think it's going to be the massive selling PS4 swan song they are expecting it to be.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My dad was kind of a dumbass who just kneejerk reacted to whatever vague bullshit he heard through the grapevine. So after a childhood of being exposed to Doom, Quake, and getting Goldeneye for Christmas alongside an N64 (eventually followed by Perfect Dark, natch), on top of the usual slurry of Power Rangers zappy gun toys the 90s were lousy with, when I was like "I'm gonna buy GTA3" he suddenly got all serious and said "I don't want you learning how to fire a gun" :confused:

Anyway I eventually did buy the GTA PS2 three pack, proceed to not play any of them, then buy them all again on Steam years later and continue to proceed to not play any of them beyond like 2 hours of GTA3 because by then I realized those games suck lol

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 12, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gripweed posted:

I don't think The Last of Us 2 will flop, but I do genuinely expect it to underperform. And not really because of the spoilers. Because this is the worst possible time to release a game like that. It's like the opposite of Animal Crossing. The generals Public's stomach for that kind of material is going to be at it's lowest ever. And then the lovely story means there won't be much positive word of mouth.

It's not going to flop, because gamers eat the slop, but I don't think it's going to be the massive selling PS4 swan song they are expecting it to be.

I really don't think the pandemic's gonna have any impact on how much people are interested in the game. Even if it's bleak, it's still escapism, and that poo poo never goes out of style. I've seen that get mentioned before, that the public is just too tired of apocolypse fiction, but I haven't seen a shred of evidence indicating it at all.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol that the Sony Studios logo doesn't mention Spider-Man or Bloodborne, two of Sony's biggest exclusives, but puts LBP in there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gripweed posted:

They seem to expect it to be treated like the second coming of christ, which it probably isn't going to be.

Anyway there's a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 remaster coming so who gives a gently caress about sad dad zombie games. Also Tony tweeted it out 5 minutes before Keighley was going to "officially" reveal it.
https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1260236885881794560

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 12, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DLC Inc posted:

lol that the Sony Studios logo doesn't mention Spider-Man or Bloodborne, two of Sony's biggest exclusives, but puts LBP in there

I think at least for Spider-Man, they can't put him in there because he's not actually owned by Sony, and maybe the same is true of Bloodborne with FromSoft?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For Bloodborne I'd figure it's because Sony don't own Fromsoft, so it wouldn't be considered part of "Sony Studios". They do own Insomniac though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mNQxLUHyg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gripweed posted:

Lmao this is sad. Little Big Planet hasn't had a game in five years, it's been over a decade since a new Jak and Daxter, and The Last of Us is about to spectacularly face plant on the release of it's second game.

Eh it's fine. It's a mix of old and new stuff - whatever.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I thought Activision was losing the rights to THPS and that’s why THPS5 was poo poo out unfinished?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's not impossible to sign new contracts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They technically still retained the rights to the series, their contract with Tony Hawk to use his name was just running out. Seems like all parties involved have renewed all agreements.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
It felt like I was the only person in my area who had not played a Tony Hawk game on a home console, so I'll happy pay for a remaster just to see what I was missing out on.

I did have a Tony Hawk game on the GBA, which IIRC was not awful. Also it had Spiderman in it, which was cool.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I can’t believe Sony deliberately spoiled TLoU2 just to throw people off the ending that reveals it’s the beginning of a gritty Ape Escape reboot

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

It's not impossible to sign new contracts

I know, thanks. You generally don’t poison the well like that if you plan on renewing it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dunno how to feel about that announcement. It's well known that Tony Hawk and skateboard games in general have been constant disappointments for decades and none of them live up to the simple fun of the original 2 Pro Skater games, largely due to some pretty shoddy physics and a misguided focus on realistic animations instead of crazy bullshit. Them remaking the original 2 games obviously means they know nobody liked any of the other titles, but it makes me wonder if it's going to be a situation where they just ruin the gameplay while updating the graphics.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Er...where’s Jak and Daxter in there exactly?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Even if they nail the remakes I don't relish the idea of getting remakes for the next ~10 years while publishers continue to be too gun-shy to make a new entry in the genre.

Give me back my extreme sports games.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Peacoffee posted:

Er...where’s Jak and Daxter in there exactly?

After the Horizon lady and before the God of War guy. The little monster and robot

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

:goonsay: but but but

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

After the Horizon lady and before the God of War guy. The little monster and robot

that's ratchet and clank

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno how to feel about that announcement. It's well known that Tony Hawk and skateboard games in general have been constant disappointments for decades and none of them live up to the simple fun of the original 2 Pro Skater games, largely due to some pretty shoddy physics and a misguided focus on realistic animations instead of crazy bullshit. Them remaking the original 2 games obviously means they know nobody liked any of the other titles, but it makes me wonder if it's going to be a situation where they just ruin the gameplay while updating the graphics.

Yeah nobody liked THPS3...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

i think it will be good. vicarious visions is not the same developer that was responsible for the series' decline into motion control bullshit, they did the excellent gba & ds ports of pro skater 2 and up. also tony hawk was good for a lot longer than the first couple of games. it was really good through underground 2 then started to slip with american wasteland, then it got really bad when activision switched neversoft to guitar hero and farmed tony hawk out to a new external studio that had no idea what they were doing and were forced to build their games around barely-functional motion peripherals

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/silenttakedown/status/1258538600347516930/photo/1

I know the big take away from this old interview should be how it's seemingly the thesis for what Naughty Dog has been since it was done in 2003, but I can't stop thinking about how Jason Rubin says he's 33 during it.

Like drat what are we doing with our lives if we're all already in our thirties and haven't created at least two big platforming franchises by now?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man THUG was great. The novelty of a proper story in those games was so cool.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The trailer makes it look like it's the original level layouts just with updated graphics and the revert and ground-based tricks from THPS3, which is exactly what I want out of this... but it's all going to come down to how it feels, and how it feels is what they've been loving up for over a decade now. So far this looks exactly like what I want, but its drat hard to trust them to get this right.

(Also I do not appreciate this erasure of THPS3, the high water mark for the series.)

e:

Weedle posted:

i think it will be good. vicarious visions is not the same developer that was responsible for the series' decline into motion control bullshit, they did the excellent gba & ds ports of pro skater 2 and up. also tony hawk was good for a lot longer than the first couple of games. it was really good through underground 2 then started to slip with american wasteland, then it got really bad when activision switched neversoft to guitar hero and farmed tony hawk out to a new external studio that had no idea what they were doing and were forced to build their games around barely-functional motion peripherals
Didn't realize this is Vicarious Visions, that's good news - those GBA games were far better than they had any right to be. Please stop getting my hopes up.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 12, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

stev posted:

Man THUG was great. The novelty of a proper story in those games was so cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/silenttakedown/status/1258538600347516930/photo/1

I know the big take away from this old interview should be how it's seemingly the thesis for what Naughty Dog has been since it was done in 2003, but I can't stop thinking about how Jason Rubin says he's 33 during it.

Like drat what are we doing with our lives if we're all already in our thirties and haven't created at least two big platforming franchises by now?

Lol “jaks been to prison” in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You haven't?? I did Ristar and Shantae