Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Body Positivity" and "Healthy at Immense Size" are American grifter inventions. Any people latching onto them outside of America are outliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I haven’t seen a single person criticizing Adele for losing weight, just dozens of posts pushing back against these critics who I haven’t seen exist. I feel like people are running away with an imaginary problem.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I haven’t seen a single person criticizing Adele for losing weight, just dozens of posts pushing back against these critics who I haven’t seen exist. I feel like people are running away with an imaginary problem.

I haven't seen any people criticizing Adele for losing weight. But I've seen a bunch of posts criticizing other people for saying that it's good that Adele lost weight, or that she's hot now that she lost weight

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh no won't someone think of the hotness adjudicators?!?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

People are rightfully upset with how bullshit it is that hotter = better in society, especially for women. It's not really a brain-scratcher nor something to start taking potshots for. Leave that basic bitch poo poo for reddit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I lay sole responsibility for the state of the world on YouTube's decision to remove the length limit on user uploaded videos, it's all been downhill since then. No one needs 30+ minute YouTube videos.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Adele was hotter when she had cushions

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

silence_kit posted:

Historically this was probably true.

Now I’d say that this forum is heavily comprised of posters who are constantly trying to demonstrate to others how virtuous and egalitarian they are, uh oldpainless excepted.

so actual rapists then

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Kevin DuBrow posted:

As usual it was on Twitter and instagram

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Aramek posted:

Those Stones look cool as hell and it reminds me of how disappointed I am that every time I see someone with runic tattoos you should assume they are a white supremacist. :(

you actually don't have to do that at all if you don't want to

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Chicken-Apple is the best of the sausages.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Apple is a sorely underrated cooking ingredient. Especially Granny Smith apples.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

AlternateNu posted:

Apple is a sorely underrated cooking ingredient. Especially Granny Smith apples.

Granny Smith apples are delic but they are the only apple I can stand to eat (unless its like an apple crumble or something)

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Granny Smith apples are delic but they are the only apple I can stand to eat (unless its like an apple crumble or something)

Crab apples are superior.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fuji apples are the poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

I make a bunch of Japanese curry sometimes and grating half an apple in there is a game changer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Most pies/cobblers taste absolutely disgusting and it's only with heavy crust/ice cream that it's even remotely tolerable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I make a bunch of Japanese curry sometimes and grating half an apple in there is a game changer.

:hfive: Curry bro!

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I posted that, too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Simply having a big dick is, in itself, clearly better than just knowing how to use it

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

mind the walrus posted:

Most pies/cobblers taste absolutely disgusting and it's only with heavy crust/ice cream that it's even remotely tolerable.

This is correct.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Pink Lady apples, best apples

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It was really weird that for a long time the go-to way to make fun of a homophobe was to call them gay

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Being completely fair it was also really weird how many virulent homophobes would get caught sucking dudes off

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mind the walrus posted:

Being completely fair it was also really weird how many virulent homophobes would get caught sucking dudes off

right, so everybody started calling other homophobes gay to make fun of them. Which was weird. That was a weird tack to take when trying to attack homophobia.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not really, unless you think LGBTQ+ supporters were using "gay" to mean stupid, which they weren't. It was a classic "methinks she doth protest too much" tactic, and if the Shakespeare reference wasn't a tipoff that's been a social tactic for a really long time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I thought the joke was more supposed to be the idea that they were in denial about it more than anything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

I thought the joke was more supposed to be the idea that they were in denial about it more than anything.

It’s kinda like how Always Sunny didn’t have gay jokes but it had a lot of jokes about how deep in denial Mac was. Being gay isn’t the joke, not being to accept it is.

Tons of the jokes about homophobes weren’t about them being gay, but things like “having a wide stance” after that guy’s excuse when he got caught trolling for dick in an airport. Sure, there were some that were just “lol gay” but I would say the majority went deeper than that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mind the walrus posted:

Not really, unless you think LGBTQ+ supporters were using "gay" to mean stupid, which they weren't. It was a classic "methinks she doth protest too much" tactic, and if the Shakespeare reference wasn't a tipoff that's been a social tactic for a really long time.

Oh of course they didn't mean gay to mean stupid, they meant gay as in gay. Like, oh that guy's gay haha. They burned the homophobes by calling them gay

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s kinda like how Always Sunny didn’t have gay jokes but it had a lot of jokes about how deep in denial Mac was. Being gay isn’t the joke, not being to accept it is.

Tons of the jokes about homophobes weren’t about them being gay, but things like “having a wide stance” after that guy’s excuse when he got caught trolling for dick in an airport. Sure, there were some that were just “lol gay” but I would say the majority went deeper than that.

Jokes about someone being in denial work if the person is actually in denial. Like, Mac from Always Sunny si a fictional character who is a closeted gay or bi man. That character having been established they make jokes about the fact that he is so deeply closeted. For an IRL example, jokes about Michelle Bachman's husband were jokes about him being in denial because he was obviously gay.

But there was a trend for awhile where people, nominally pro LGBT people even, would just call any homophobe gay. Like, that guy is opposed to gay marriage, he must be gay, haha got'em. And it was weird and I'm glad they don't do that anymore.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They said it because it worked at riling homophobes up, and in helping weed out who was in denial versus who was actually just a poo poo human being top to bottom.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mind the walrus posted:

They said it because it worked at riling homophobes up

Yeah, like when a kid calls another kid gay to rile them up, it's like, "You're gay lol". We're on the same page there. It was weird that supposedly pro-LGBT people did that and I'm glad they stopped.

mind the walrus posted:

and in helping weed out who was in denial versus who was actually just a poo poo human being top to bottom.

That's not a thing at all. People weren't going around calling people gay in the hopes that one might be like, "poo poo, you're right!", it was to own them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Jokes about someone being in denial work if the person is actually in denial. Like, Mac from Always Sunny si a fictional character who is a closeted gay or bi man. That character having been established they make jokes about the fact that he is so deeply closeted. For an IRL example, jokes about Michelle Bachman's husband were jokes about him being in denial because he was obviously gay.

But there was a trend for awhile where people, nominally pro LGBT people even, would just call any homophobe gay. Like, that guy is opposed to gay marriage, he must be gay, haha got'em. And it was weird and I'm glad they don't do that anymore.

Now people just talk about Putin and Trump having gay sex where they do gay things together, gayly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, like when a kid calls another kid gay to rile them up, it's like, "You're gay lol". We're on the same page there. It was weird that supposedly pro-LGBT people did that and I'm glad they stopped.
It isn't weird though. That's the thing. It was an effective tactic that kept the label and mechanism of power firmly in the hands of people who supported it. Can you elaborate on what was so egregious about it? Because other than protecting the sanctity of homophobes I'm drawing a blank, and willing to have the benefit of the doubt.

quote:

That's not a thing at all. People weren't going around calling people gay in the hopes that one might be like, "poo poo, you're right!", it was to own them.
You've really never played Poker and said something inflammatory to produce a tell?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mind the walrus posted:

It isn't weird though. That's the thing. It was an effective tactic that kept the label and mechanism of power firmly in the hands of people who supported it. Can you elaborate on what was so egregious about it? Because other than protecting the sanctity of homophobes I'm drawing a blank, and willing to have the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't say it was egregious, just weird, It was weird that people fought homophobia by calling their opponents gay. That was a weird choice, to stand up for gay rights by using gay as an insult to delegitimize people.

mind the walrus posted:

You've really never played Poker and said something inflammatory to produce a tell?

How does a homosexual give himself away? What is a gay tell?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Is there any example of that being an effective tactic? Was DOMA overturned because homophobes were being called gay?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gripweed posted:

They’d rather play pokim than poker

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I didn't say it was egregious, just weird, It was weird that people fought homophobia by calling their opponents gay. That was a weird choice, to stand up for gay rights by using gay as an insult to delegitimize people.
But it really isn't weird either. It's a playground tactic. It's only "weird" if you've never been around human groups before.

quote:

Don't be willfully dense. Tells are any human behavior that betray deception, denial, or mistruth.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is there any example of that being an effective tactic? Was DOMA overturned because homophobes were being called gay?
Is there any evidence it wasn't? Homophobes hated it and many of the ones that were closeted gays helped vindicate the idea of projection, further undercutting their legitimacy in arguing against gay culture in wider perception.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mind the walrus posted:

But it really isn't weird either. It's a playground tactic. It's only "weird" if you've never been around human groups before.

Yeah, insulting people by calling them gay is a playground tactic. It's weird that adults in favor of gay rights would use the playground tactic of insulting people by calling them gay. If you support gay rights you shouldn't use gay as an insult. You shouldn't try to delegitimize people by suggesting they're gay.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
fella's is it gay to hate gays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I guess the unpopular opinion thread is the right place to argue that using gay as insult is a powerful sword of truth and justice.