Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

six hours and we suffer again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

does linux even work reliably with hidpi monitors yet? last time i tried it was mostly ok but some things were still tiny ... and those included the login screen

linux has always worked with hidpi, because there has never been a standard dpi on x11

75, 80, 96, and 100 dpi were all common choices back in the day, not to mention all the bananas CAD poo poo that used wild rear end DPIs on secondary monitors

software had to be written to be dpi-independent to work at all in an x11 environment

(of course, this does not mean gnome will work, because gnome 3 is a giant bucket of poo poo. if there is a way to gently caress it up, they found it)

larper posted:

In ~/.Xresources, Add "Xft.dpi: <dpi-you-want>", then log out and back in. I think that's all thats required for X. In i3 I also have to set the font size.

you have to manually set this because while x11 autodetects dpi based on the edid provided by your monitors, that data was historically very bad, so every software package in existence ignores the (physical) dpi that x11 reports :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux has always worked with hidpi, because there has never been a standard dpi on x11

75, 80, 96, and 100 dpi were all common choices back in the day, not to mention all the bananas CAD poo poo that used wild rear end DPIs on secondary monitors

software had to be written to be dpi-independent to work at all in an x11 environment

(of course, this does not mean gnome will work, because gnome 3 is a giant bucket of poo poo. if there is a way to gently caress it up, they found it)
So basically linux has always worked with hidpi except real linux that people actually used.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

quote:

you have to manually set this because while x11 autodetects dpi based on the edid provided by your monitors, that data was historically very bad, so every software package in existence ignores the (physical) dpi that x11 reports :(

nBSD is correct here and only technically correct in the previous couple paragraphs

X11 has had the ability to support multiple DPI all along, well before EDID was ever a thing

practically though, the only thing it was ever used for in real world code was picking fonts to use, and for that the choice was almost universally between 75 and 100 DPI fonts

approximately nobody ever wrote resolution-independent X11 applications, virtually everyone just worked in terms of device pixels and didn’t bother figuring out scaling factors or translating real-world units, and the APIs don’t work in terms of scaled coordinate systems either so it’s not one of those systems where you can change an underlying scale factor and everything just works

it is, as with all things X11, a lovely house of cards that only really kind of works well enough most of the time through cargo-culted code and adherence to unspoken conventions

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Wasn't really practical to write with proportional scaling pre FHD since you'd be fumbling around with aliasing. at least i never felt comfortable doing it

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Interesting stuff. I would expect ignoring the automatic dpi to be the default since that data is unreliable and people generally expect higher resolution screens (like my t470 1920x1080) to display things smaller until you choose the dpi you want. It took windows until just a few years ago to even get halfway working scaling but its been mostly seamless in linux so far. the only app that ignores my dpi setting is chromium.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
irix 4dwm had vector icons so it was 8k monitor ready :grin:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

irix 4dwm had vector icons so it was 8k monitor ready :grin:

you could actually buy 8k monitors and graphics heads for irix

i guess it was useful for medical imaging or something ? idk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

approximately nobody ever wrote resolution-independent X11 applications, virtually everyone just worked in terms of device pixels and didn’t bother figuring out scaling factors or translating real-world units, and the APIs don’t work in terms of scaled coordinate systems either so it’s not one of those systems where you can change an underlying scale factor and everything just works

real world code written using motif, qt, or gtk will do approximately the right thing when you change the dpi, and they always have done

i know this because i was an early adopter when high-dpi laptops came out. everything using off-the-shelf toolkits worked properly on day one without any fuckery

it was really as easy as changing an underlying scale factor (xft.dpi)

eschaton posted:

it is, as with all things X11, a lovely house of cards that only really kind of works well enough most of the time through cargo-culted code and adherence to unspoken conventions

yeah this part is true because the class of applications that don't use a toolkit is not as small as you would hope

• web browsers invariably paint all their own fonts and widgets, completely ignoring the toolkit

• java applications

• rdp / vnc sessions

java on linux had busted dpi support for a long time, making jetbrains suite almost unusable

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome works with hidpi now although it was fairly iffy for 2-3 years. It never supported whole-window upscaling for legacy applications but it would probably have caused some terrible rainbowing crap because there was no universal way to control subpixel rendering either. these days I don't even know if subpixel font rendering even exists any more because it's such a non-concern with 200+ DPI displays.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i still don't have a high-dpi display for my home desktop because wow big high-dpi displays are spendy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some people are still using non hi-dpi displays, OP.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe my plan will be to simultaneously upgrade to a new computer with USB4, get a hi-dpi display, and try switching to wayland again in two or so more years when I can muster the energy to give a poo poo.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i still don't have a high-dpi display for my home desktop because wow big high-dpi displays are spendy

i think you can get a 30" 4k monitor for about 300 now

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we're at the point where you can get a 50-ish inch 4k tv with hdmi 2.1, 120hz and variable refresh for well under $1000, but for some reason a 27" 4k monitor that can go above 60hz costs almost twice as much

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

all the peripherals to support 4k are also much more expensive; i got a 4 port hdmi switch with two outputs for like, $30 but an equivalent for 4k would be well over a hundred

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

we're at the point where you can get a 50-ish inch 4k tv with hdmi 2.1, 120hz and variable refresh for well under $1000, but for some reason a 27" 4k monitor that can go above 60hz costs almost twice as much

tvs are mostly loving terrible, that's why

larper posted:

4k @ 30" is 140 dpi. not much of a win.

i have been looking at 5k 27" monitors but the pricing is brutal

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'd get a 4k monitor but it would be a pain with my current setup.

I have a linux computer and a windows computer next to each other, one monitor is connected to the linux computer, and one monitor is connected to a hdmi switch which is connected to both computers (because the monitor only has one port I guess).

I think the linux computer doesn't have a video card that can handle 4k over dvi or hdmi, so I'd probably have to replace both monitors, replace the video card, and probably buy a new power supply.

If I replace the linux computer in a couple years I'll probably just switch to using virtualization with gpu passthrough for windows, and use one 4k monitor rather than multiple non-hidpi monitors, but I have a better graphics card in the windows computer and the power supply in the linux computer definitely can't handle that right now.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

larper posted:

i don't think i even paid $300 for mine several years ago

monitors seem to be split into two catagories now: "work" displays that are 4k, but typically don't do high refresh rates, and "gamer" displays that are 1080/1440p but can do 40-144hz freesync and such. as soon as you want a hybrid of the two the price goes through the roof

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually as of a week ago I also have a third lovely monitor which is also plugged into the windows machine because this is helpful for my w4h situation.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

I'd get a 4k monitor but it would be a pain with my current setup.

I have a linux computer and a windows computer next to each other, one monitor is connected to the linux computer, and one monitor is connected to a hdmi switch which is connected to both computers (because the monitor only has one port I guess).

I think the linux computer doesn't have a video card that can handle 4k over dvi or hdmi, so I'd probably have to replace both monitors, replace the video card, and probably buy a new power supply.

If I replace the linux computer in a couple years I'll probably just switch to using virtualization with gpu passthrough for windows, and use one 4k monitor rather than multiple non-hidpi monitors, but I have a better graphics card in the windows computer and the power supply in the linux computer definitely can't handle that right now.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

when you get around to replacing your video card what you really want is displayport

hdmi development is driven by what TVs require and ultra-high-resolution TVs are not remotely a mass market concern right now

displayport is what you use for a pc monitor and it usually moves faster than hdmi

sports
Sep 1, 2012
1400x1200

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

The_Franz posted:

monitors seem to be split into two catagories now: "work" displays that are 4k, but typically don't do high refresh rates, and "gamer" displays that are 1080/1440p but can do 40-144hz freesync and such. as soon as you want a hybrid of the two the price goes through the roof

seriously. i'm having real trouble trying to find something modern that hits 'high pixel count and dpi' and 'high refresh rate', seems really challenging.

at this point i'm just sticking with my 30" dell from 2005 until something else exists

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

i don't think i even paid $300 for mine several years ago

even just a high framerate 1440p display with good color accuracy is extremely spendy

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

nBSD is correct here and only technically correct in the previous couple paragraphs

X11 has had the ability to support multiple DPI all along, well before EDID was ever a thing

practically though, the only thing it was ever used for in real world code was picking fonts to use, and for that the choice was almost universally between 75 and 100 DPI fonts

yeah this is true. nbsd is in that weird talking about deprecated-but-technically-correct-old-linux-minutiae mood again. only apps not written in any modern toolkit bothers with xft.dpi.

it's gtk and qt which makes hidpi work in linux (and it works great)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

for prospective buyers: 144hz is better than 4k

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
just don’t be me and accidentally buy a ~gamer monitor~ that makes it easier to toggle a crosshair overlay than to switch inputs

love the refresh rate tho

mystes
May 31, 2006

hifi posted:

for prospective buyers: 144hz is better than 4k
How does 144hz possibly matter for stuff other than games? How is text and 30fps video going to look better on a 144hz display?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mystes posted:

How does 144hz possibly matter for stuff other than games? How is text and 30fps video going to look better on a 144hz display?

scrolling... dragging... dropping... use your imagination. and technically, 24 fps video looks better on a 144hz monitor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

yeah this is true. nbsd is in that weird talking about deprecated-but-technically-correct-old-linux-minutiae mood again. only apps not written in any modern toolkit bothers with xft.dpi.

it's gtk and qt which makes hidpi work in linux (and it works great)

gtk and qt will both heed the value of xft.dpi, but apps that don't use gnome or kde frameworks will not read the setting from elsewhere

the path of least resistance is to set the property

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

it might actually make your video look worse since only one of the important framerates (24, 25, 30, 50, 60) divides evenly into 144

mystes
May 31, 2006

hifi posted:

scrolling... dragging... dropping... use your imagination. and technically, 24 fps video looks better on a 144hz monitor
I use a window manager that doesn't have overlapping windows and looks like it escaped from the 80s. You think I'm going to buy a 144hz monitor so drag and drop is minutely smoother?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

I use a window manager that doesn't have overlapping windows and looks like it escaped from the 80s. You think I'm going to buy a 144hz monitor so drag and drop is minutely smoother?

oh hey its the obnoxious tiling wm poster, good to know some things never change

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

so whats your fave? i3, xmonad, dwm, ratpoison, something else? we need to know

sports
Sep 1, 2012
rio

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

oh hey its the obnoxious tiling wm poster, good to know some things never change

different strokes for different folks

some people like that poo poo, let them have it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

You can't have a Linux thread without at least 1 tiling wm user and 1 bsd fan per union rules. For important decisions you also need a Shaggar.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
X11 has had a DPI property that it read from edid, but it was global to the server and didn't work with multi monitor. In practice the value got hardcoded to something like 96 in the mid-2000s. XRandR could also parse edid and export them as output properties but they were never used in any toolkits afaik.

None of this has any bearing on "hi-DPI" because nobody ever scaled their windows based on it. It wouldn't make sense to.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

different strokes for different folks

some people like that poo poo, let them have it

i'm totally fine with tiling wms and tiling wm posting. but not obnoxious posting like "hey nice discussion about monitors you're having, but did you all know that the monitors you're praising would not benefit me, a tiling wm user?" what purpose is being served there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i'm totally fine with tiling wms and tiling wm posting. but not obnoxious posting like "hey nice discussion about monitors you're having, but did you all know that the monitors you're praising would not benefit me, a tiling wm user?" what purpose is being served there
Perhaps some use cases benefit from high refresh rates more than others.