Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I watched that Mortal Kombat animated movie and despite it clearly being an attempt to show off how cool and badass Scorpion is, Johnny Cage still steals the show.

Johnny Cage is the kind of character who just will steal the show if he's even remotely well written/acted. The smartest thing the reboot did was realize "hey, Johnny Cage is a lot more compelling than Liu Kang."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Home on the Range isn't a bad movie at all, but it's not great and if the movie had come out in between some better movies I think it'd have been fine. It being the last of the hand drawn stuff until Princess and the Frog I think left a bad taste in people's mouths.

The movie isn't great but it has real good songs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is a test animation for A Fox In Space's new animation styling using Blender.

looks pretty good to me

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

this is a test animation for A Fox In Space's new animation styling using Blender.

looks pretty good to me

I forgot this was even a thing.

Didn't they quit a while ago?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
They're succeeded in making Blender look exactly like Flash.

EDIT: To be clear I'm impressed by that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nah they're still going, they post updates on Youtube every once in a while.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wdarkk posted:

They're succeeded in making Blender look exactly like Flash.

EDIT: To be clear I'm impressed by that.

I think it's also to show off the lighting too. He's apparently finishing the second episode the current way but partially using blender for animating and then switching entirely over to blender after that because it's apparently infinitely easier compared to his current method.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's a one-man project I believe, and when doing anything very involved by yourself, it can take what feels like an eternity especially if you're a perfectionist. The short clips they've been posting have been pretty fantastic.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Watched Promare today. Beautiful colour design, but the framing and cutting was a bit too frenetic for me to really dig it. I enjoyed it but not something I would want to watch again. The script especially was not particularly praise worthy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

starkebn posted:

Watched Promare today. Beautiful colour design, but the framing and cutting was a bit too frenetic for me to really dig it. I enjoyed it but not something I would want to watch again. The script especially was not particularly praise worthy.

I love Promare but even i’ll admit the opening 10 minutes are slightly too full on. It does settle down though (or you just get used to it).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I watched that Mortal Kombat animated movie and despite it clearly being an attempt to show off how cool and badass Scorpion is, Johnny Cage still steals the show.

You think Mr. Cage is gonna show up to a movie at this stage in his career and not have some script input for his scenes?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Chicken Little is the worst piece of poo poo i've ever seen

...and look, i enjoy the Barenaked Ladies more than most people but they couldn't even get a BNL hit for a theme song, they use a forgettable b-side at best... an Ed b-side, not even a Steve one lmao

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah as far as studio first films go it was poor from just about every angle of things. They hadn’t really found their animation style so many of the character models were awkward, the script and general plot was rough, there’s a lot of really poorly chosen physical comedy and inappropriate body humor. I looked it up and it made decent money but I’m assuming because everyone wanted to see what Disney could produce.

Meet the Robinsons was somewhat better but still had a few awkward bits. I managed to miss the first two until years later so my brain doesn’t even recognize them as from the same studio. DAS didn’t really hit their stride in CG animation until Bolt.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

DAS didn’t really hit their stride in CG animation until Bolt.
Isn’t Bolt also the first movie Lasseter started helping out at the Disney studio?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah as far as studio first films go it was poor from just about every angle of things. They hadn’t really found their animation style so many of the character models were awkward, the script and general plot was rough, there’s a lot of really poorly chosen physical comedy and inappropriate body humor. I looked it up and it made decent money but I’m assuming because everyone wanted to see what Disney could produce.

Meet the Robinsons was somewhat better but still had a few awkward bits. I managed to miss the first two until years later so my brain doesn’t even recognize them as from the same studio. DAS didn’t really hit their stride in CG animation until Bolt.

It's been a little while since I've seen it, but I think Meet the Robinsons is actually pretty great!

But yeah, Chicken Little was a stinker. I remember being super excited to go see it because I heard it was from the same director as The Emperor's New Groove, and even as a kid I knew it sucked.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
There are plenty of things to hate about Chicken Little. It is a jumbled mess of a movie to say the least.

Despite all that, It is still irredeemable just because of how mean spirited it is as a movie. It is just ugly in how it treats its main character and his resolution that I just cannot give the movie the time of day.

It is also incredible ugly to look at so there is that too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Crazy Ferret posted:

Despite all that, It is still irredeemable just because of how mean spirited it is as a movie. It is just ugly in how it treats its main character and his resolution that I just cannot give the movie the time of day.

Yeah that’s what really got me. It uses a lot of mean or bullying humor and sends a lot of bad messages. This person is mean? They shouldn’t learn and lesson and grow as a person, they should have their mind stripped from them and forced to have a new personality! Look, that guy’s fat! I bet he eats a lot! Haha!

It is very un-Disney-like and a lot of the “humor” would be spotted as inappropriate in the 90s, let alone the 2000s.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, the way the bully goes from a tomboy to a super-girly girl and they just "Don't change her back! She's perfect like this" is extremely unsettling.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Chicken Little felt like Disneys attempt at a dreamworks movie.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I don't know, not enough stuntcasting to have been a dreamworks joint

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Popeye’ Movie Afloat with King Features

"Animation icon Genndy Tartakovsky is teaming up with King Features to go back to the drawing board on his long-awaited Popeye animated feature, close sources have revealed to Animation Magazine. "

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My two-year-old son has discovered Zootopia and it absolutely holds up. The biggest problem is the inner logic of the movie is consistent, but because a handful of lines and jokes were set up as parallels to human society there’s a slight disconnect as your brain tries to push it as a one-to-one with human prejudice and it just isn’t at all.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The film definitely has issues if you try to read everything as related to one real-world human prejudice or another. Like, a valid reading along those lines is that it implies victims of racism deserved it at some point because they held significant power over those being racist, to the point of it being an existential threat - and I'm pretty sure that isn't true. (Granted, it also notes how untrue the in-universe prejudice is in the context of its modern era - something detractors tend to gloss over.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Shadow Hog posted:

The film definitely has issues if you try to read everything as related to one real-world human prejudice or another. Like, a valid reading along those lines is that it implies victims of racism deserved it at some point because they held significant power over those being racist, to the point of it being an existential threat - and I'm pretty sure that isn't true. (Granted, it also notes how untrue the in-universe prejudice is in the context of its modern era - something detractors tend to gloss over.)

There are some bits that are weird in hindsight though - where would those kids have even got a muzzle? It doesn't seem like they'd be sold in department stores given they'd probably be reserved for law enforcement or psychotic patients.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BioEnchanted posted:

There are some bits that are weird in hindsight though - where would those kids have even got a muzzle? It doesn't seem like they'd be sold in department stores given they'd probably be reserved for law enforcement or psychotic patients.

They'd probably be sold in certain stores at strip malls though.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They'd probably be sold in certain stores at strip malls though.

Hot Topic in Zootopia.... Hot Tropic?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hot Trophic

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if one of the kids had a cop dad and took it, It's not unheard of kids to lift handcuffs, batons etc. to show off.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://gonintendo.com/stories/360826-work-on-the-super-mario-bros-animated-movie-continues-with-illum

Illumination is still working on the Super Mario Bros. movie as some of the team already worked from home and those who had to start working from home had a decent transition.

https://www.slashfilm.com/avatar-2-delays-coronavirus-james-cameron/

Avatar 2 is still coming in 2021, according to James Cameron.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-understands-importance-big-theatrical-releases-at-t-cfo-says-1294289

WB will continue to work with theaters, despite Scoob! being an online-only movie. AT&T's CFO (AT&T owns WarnerMedia which owns WB) said that they "understand the important of big theatrical releases".

Basically, WB doesn't want theaters to die while Universal (aka NBC aka Comcast) couldn't give a poo poo about them...which makes 100% sense coming from Comcast.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hedrigall posted:

Hot Trophic

This was a good joke if you’re an ecologist I promise :unsmith:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love this loving show so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auDkQChXmTE

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hedrigall posted:

Hot Trophic

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Anybody have any verdict on Scoob?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Anybody have any verdict on Scoob?

I'm watching as I post this. It's really good, honestly! There's pop culture references that aren't actually super forced and I'm pretty sure it's set in like April 2020 because Velma looks up Dick Dastardly's police record (his real name is Richard Dastardly, hah) and the last thing he did was steal a historical artifact back on March 27, 2020).

I'm really liking it so far.

Currently halfway through.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Yeah no Scoob is awful.

The plot literally happens because Simon Cowell (in TYOOL 2020) judges Shaggy out of the group and Scooby Doo is the ancestor of the ancient key to hell. Velma casually reveals this information in one google search. This is all somehow generic and boring and has no right to exist in the same world as Scooby Doo on Zombie Island.

Whoever greenlit this movie totally thought the baby robot scorpions would be the next minions and I hope this merchandise is rotting in a warehouse somewhere during this quarantine.

Also the direct quote "stop putting filters on your selfies" is said.

Shneak fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 17, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Didn't one of the first 3d scooby movies use scrappy as a villain before? Why do they still do this

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shneak posted:

Scooby Doo on Zombie Island.

Coincidentally I watched this earlier today, and it’s still the absolute zenith of the Doo-niverse.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Scoob looks bad and the mouth animations look especially bad, so I haven't seen it yet. But I do know Twitter is super horny for the cop

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember the newspaper guy who got really horny for the mom in Incredibles 2

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

But I do know Twitter is super horny for the cop

From this I assumed the cop in question would be some dadbodded chonky male cop character, which says a lot about the kind of twitter accounts I follow

So i searched and was very whelmed to find out it’s some busty blonde female cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember the newspaper guy who got really horny for the mom in Incredibles 2

I can't blame him