Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Carcer posted:

I'm frankly surprised they haven't come up with a system were the more patchwork an item is the less effective it is, like a survivor duster made out of a real duster is as good as advertised, but a survivor duster made out of pieces of scrap is 50% as sturdy and defensive.

There's actually a recent issue on github somewhat along these lines (though it's more "you shouldn't be able to keep fixing stuff with just thread")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Doesn't it also sometimes use up a patch?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Oh good, now Mi-go can start spawning with a loving gun and fantastic night vision. At least the damage is pretty bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mi-Gos can use guns?!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You hear “Now I have a machine gun. Ho, ho, ho.”

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Mi-Gos can use guns?!

Like not real guns but Mi-Go scouts keep winging me with... something. it only lands for 10 to 30 damage but still pretty rude.

And it can shoot through glass without breaking it.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

It's a stun ray of some sort in lore. In terms of game mechanics, it's the only stock use of the magic spell system that Cataclysm has (that I am aware of)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tin Tim posted:

The V look is a handy system in general. I've gotten into the habbit of hitting it regularly while traveling through the country side to spot corpses or interesting items.

I've been doing my best to enforce using V instead of x all the time and it's definitely making things a bit easier for me. Mostly because it saves me a bit of scrolling, but still.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You hear “Now I have a machine gun. Ho, ho, ho.”

:golfclap:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Carcer posted:

Doesn't it also sometimes use up a patch?
Yes but it seems to only be required for certain items while others can be fixed by only using thread

Night raid on the garage has been completed! I only met a feral runner and a basic zombie on the approach. Luckily nothing heard me killing them and I got in&out

It was the smaller garage variant so it didn't have crates with extra tools/parts so no wrench for me. But the huge amount of welding supplies should allow me to make one myself. Also got some clothes to butcher for leather and the woodsaw was a nice extra

Ngl the moment when you have to strap on your duffel for the loot is scary

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, my chopper crashed in the middle of nowhere. And now my car broke down. I am just leaving behind a trail of arsenals and stockpiles of stuff I can't carry.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If I'm reading the survivor map I found right I've probably got like a hundred map tiles or so to go before anything approaching civilization.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

There's an autotravel feature that doesn't work perfectly but can save you some time. Move the cursor in the overmap to the destination, press 'W' to generate a path, and if the path it picks isn't crazy press 'W' again to travel. Safe mode remains active so you'll be stopped if anything dangerous comes into view.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

poo poo, that sounds incredibly useful. But I might save that when I get more established. For now it's just me and two NPCs wandering the countryside, which is alternatively cool and terrifying, like handy cabins and supply drops between massive craters or hives or just mass graves everywhere.
Might try it if I have more woods to hike through. It's kind of inconvenient to wiggle through the trees.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
After some initial frustration, this game is very satisfying once you start getting the mechanics down. After a heart-wrenching run into town, it’s a very comfy feeling to find a cabin, close the blinds, and read books for a few days while snacking on junk food. This is my Animal Crossing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rockopolis posted:

If I'm reading the survivor map I found right I've probably got like a hundred map tiles or so to go before anything approaching civilization.

what kind of world settings did you use?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

poo poo, that sounds incredibly useful. But I might save that when I get more established. For now it's just me and two NPCs wandering the countryside, which is alternatively cool and terrifying, like handy cabins and supply drops between massive craters or hives or just mass graves everywhere.
Might try it if I have more woods to hike through. It's kind of inconvenient to wiggle through the trees.

There’s also the other, completely unrelated feature that is confusingly also called “auto-travel.” Find it in the keybinds and assign a key to it. It makes your character automatically juke around obstacles and slow terrain as you move, so you can just hold a key to move through forests (usually).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is there an alternative for casters when you want to make a mobile basket? Haven't found a hacksaw to make the casters :(

Also I just had the most annoying fight ever. Two krecks followed me and could not damage me due to dodge and armor while I also couldn't hit them due to my low skills. I eventually got them but it sure was real lovely to dance around and recover my full stamina multiple times

Kevin DuBrow posted:

After some initial frustration, this game is very satisfying once you start getting the mechanics down. After a heart-wrenching run into town, it’s a very comfy feeling to find a cabin, close the blinds, and read books for a few days while snacking on junk food. This is my Animal Crossing.
Don't want to ruin your fun but be careful with food that has the "junkfood" tag in the description. Eating too much of it will wreck your health stat(hidden stat) and make you more prone to illness and some other stuff. Try to think about the food in irl terms. If something is unhealthy/healthy irl it probably also is in the game

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

megane posted:

There’s also the other, completely unrelated feature that is confusingly also called “auto-travel.” Find it in the keybinds and assign a key to it. It makes your character automatically juke around obstacles and slow terrain as you move, so you can just hold a key to move through forests (usually).

I had no idea about this and it completely changes the game for me

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

what kind of world settings did you use?
Max city size, max separation. 16/8.
Kind of dumb, but I wanted to try, and in prior attempts I landed relatively close to a city. It's certainly different. A lot of walking, occasionally using cars until they fall apart. I'm back to hiking, at the moment, though I'm hoping there's going to be another traffic jam on the bridge ahead.

megane posted:

What the poo poo, I've got to try that.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

esquilax posted:

I had no idea about this and it completely changes the game for me
Same. I am so tired of being asked if I really want to step in the blueberry bush. The answer was "no" the last 100x you asked me this, game. What makes you think it's going to be different now?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

megane posted:

Holy poo poo

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Here's a story about an unlikely friendship during the cataclysm

I met this scary shadow man on my first approach of getting back into the town I started in. He didn't seem to care about me so I came closer and started to loot some of the bodies around. He didn't care about that either and I'm sure the bodies were just coincidentally and had nothing to do with him at all. Since he seemed so chill, you see. Then I started to lure some zombies from the outskirts to kill for xp and loot. But one of them went and attacked the shadow man! He ran and also didn't fight back so I knew what I had to do. I rushed in and killed the zombie, which made the shadow man follow me in very close proximity after that. I guess he was very grateful, recognized my power and wanted to be friends, but couldn't show or say it since he's from another world and all that. While having a weird shadow man as your friend sounds tempting, I actually didn't want him to come back to base with me. Don't think my dog would play nice with him and I think the nights would get kinda creepy with him around tbh. But he wouldn't stop following me even after I accidentally took a swing at him. I missed and it was an honest misstep on my part which I assume he understood.

So there I was, with a clingy shadow man on my heels that wouldn't leave. I had to devise a plan to solve this situation....

It almost worked but eventually the shadow man was smart enough to step away and I had to put the zombie down. After that he started to follow me again but then suddenly stopped and went his own way and left me. I guess he started to feel that we just weren't working out.

Good bye, scary shadow man. I'm sorry that I tried to get you killed

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Tin Tim posted:

Is there an alternative for casters when you want to make a mobile basket? Haven't found a hacksaw to make the casters :(

Make a travois . You only need a couple of light wooden frames and a few bits of short rope.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tin Tim posted:

I guess he was very grateful, recognized my power and wanted to be friends, but couldn't show or say it since he's from another world and all that.

It's actually because he's very tsundere

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've never seen a gracken attack anything at all, ever. The description box is simply a panicky racist and I've happily shared a cabin with a Gracken for a over a week while I worked on mastering the OPTICAL SNEEZE BEAM!

I had to wear ear plugs at night though, they just won't stop pacing the anxious dears.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tin Tim posted:

Bicycle wheels can be installed as 'unicycle wheels' or you can take a wheelbarrow wheel if you are lucky enough to find one and want better offroading

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Anyone know their way around github well enough to find a link for 10614? It isnt an option in the launcher and it isnt listed on the releases page that I could find. Another goon was curious about trying the game but I cant imagine trying to figure it out with what sounds like a busted as hell inventory system. I guess worse case scenario I could rar my directory.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
TBH i'd consider just telling them to use the latest stable.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Anyone know their way around github well enough to find a link for 10614? It isnt an option in the launcher and it isnt listed on the releases page that I could find. Another goon was curious about trying the game but I cant imagine trying to figure it out with what sounds like a busted as hell inventory system. I guess worse case scenario I could rar my directory.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/releases/tag/cdda-jenkins-b10614 should be it. You can find other releases by build number at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/releases .

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Ya'll rock, thanks.

I'm currently on my first game without classic zombies, and it's scary as hell. I'm using these mods:

I used freeform to make a slightly overpowered character but nothing too crazy. I ended up with my luckiest start yet, in a non-looted shelter with a bunch of military crates outside. Score a kevlar vest, helmet, MREs, incendiary grenades, and a few other useful tidbits. I scrounged through most of the nearby town but left the collapsed tower alone after hearing all kinds of crazy sounds from underground. I managed to kill the gangrenous crawler that was chasing me around thanks to a basement uzi, and I'm slowly working my way through books and crafts to get my skills up a bit.

Blasted him straight through the window and had to sleep off the poison damage. Overall I'm terrified of all the non classic zombie stuff. Trying to decide on some priorities and a path forward; I'm thinking after another level of fabrication and tailoring I should start being able to make some legit armor. I found a car that works for now but it has an engine fault; I used it to scout the roads a little and luckily was going slow, because the nearby bridge is mined. I know I'm going to have to migrate soon.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

Make a travois . You only need a couple of light wooden frames and a few bits of short rope.

Xand_Man posted:

Bicycle wheels can be installed as 'unicycle wheels' or you can take a wheelbarrow wheel if you are lucky enough to find one and want better offroading
Thanks!

Ms Adequate posted:

It's actually because he's very tsundere

Caidin posted:

I've never seen a gracken attack anything at all, ever. The description box is simply a panicky racist and I've happily shared a cabin with a Gracken for a over a week while I worked on mastering the OPTICAL SNEEZE BEAM!

I had to wear ear plugs at night though, they just won't stop pacing the anxious dears.
Desire to befriend the gracken again rises

Also I confess that I just save-scummed for the first time. I was looting a few houses at the outskirts. Had cleared the streets and immediate area and was wearing full turnout gear so I felt fairly safe. Went into a boarded-up house where a basic zombie came out from earlier. Once I was in I heard some noise and went towards it. Turned out to be another basic zombie that I smashed. Then all hell broke loose in the building and some poo poo smashed through the walls around me. Ran asap, got followed by a pregnant roach and a loving survivor zombie. The roach was no biggie but the survivor zombie hosed me up something fierce. I hobbled away, almost out of stamina and saw a tough zombie and a boomer catching up to me....yeah that went from zero to hundred real quick. Not sure which of them smashed through the walls but I'm not going back to find out

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

3x healing? Dang, do you just knit back together like Wolverine or something? I'm someone who usually takes slow/poor healer. And even then it feels like I'm good as new after a couple days of resting in base with cattail jelly and boiled makeshift bandages and lowish (2-3) First Aid.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Galaga Galaxian posted:

3x healing? Dang, do you just knit back together like Wolverine or something? I'm someone who usually takes slow/poor healer. And even then it feels like I'm good as new after a couple days of resting in base with cattail jelly and boiled makeshift bandages and lowish (2-3) First Aid.

I've only taken like half a bar of damage at a time so far and it's better in a few hours after bandaging. I'll probably ditch that one next time. I'm allowing myself a slow ramp-up to this insanity.

That skill training guide suggests making small plastic bottles to get to Fab 5; is the plastic mold that requires something I can check specific spots for, or just completely random luck?

EDIT: Oh poo poo I can just make it!

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 13, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I haven't played in ages, despite keeping up with the thread. For the stuff like the helicopter, higher visibility from upper floors, and the ability to get onto building roofs/climb drainspouts/etc, do I need to enable experimental z-levels, or are those still best left off?

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
They're no longer described as experimental and are on by default, I believe.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think you need Z-levels yes but... I think it's not experimental anymore. It's just baked in now.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

New game, first night and I've got two arc welders, two acetylene torches, and five welding tanks. I hate the playthroughs were you're limited by needing to find books instead of actual equipment but I'll take it I guess.

Bad news is I can hear a voice coming from a nearby building

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Just lost three of my four gang members and smashed our prison bus up badly in a complete shitshow of a raid on a railway station :negative: My PC is definitely now going to be an alcoholic because they just got three of their friends killed.

e; Aw gently caress the bus won't start now because I destroyed the battery in that crash lmao. And I don't have ANY mechanics or books for it somehow, so hopefully one of those intact-looking vehicles in town will run because I wanna bug right out of here.

At least the cat is okay, Buddy was just chilling back at base :unsmith:

e2; Welp, went out trying to track down a vehicle only for like eight shocker zombies to come piling out of a building like it's a clown car, stunlocking the pair of us and ending our lives. RIP to Star and Kelvin. Buddy's fate unknown, but hopefully the fact he was living in a relatively safe evac shelter with a decent amount of food kicking around means he's got a good chance.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 13, 2020

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Are rail stations not weird and half-implemented anymore? I drove around one a few games ago and it wasn't connected to a rail-line and looked to just be full of snacks, periodicals and a crapton of zombies. I threw on the "Remove rail station" mod and haven't looked back. Hopefully they fixed them or there are different kinds of rail-station and you didn't just lose a run over the chance to loot chips, soda and comic books.

In my game everything is going swimmingly, after a training/reading marathon while my broken legs healed up I'm now in the process of making survivor suits for my party of four. While looking around for clothes/leather to craft with I found a working Humvee, it just needed fuel which I toted from a nearby gas station via jerrycan. With my expanded range I bumbled onto two NPC ?factions?

The Hub guys seem like smug science guys but trading with them lets me turn random garbage into sweet, sweet books so they can be as condescending as they want over the intercom. Then there's the guys in the Bio-lab who, for the small cost of bravely getting a name-tag from the middle of a warzone (I led the bio hulks away in my humvee while they yelled at me and then zoomed back to pick it up off a corpse) let me recruit my very own bio-operator to help find or kill an ?Apohis?. She's fives and threes in every melee/ranged combat skill so once I kit everyone out we should stand a chance.

All of that'll have to wait tho, because first I've gotta do the scariest thing I've attempted yet and save my friends dog. The thing is in a house two blocks deep in a town so we'll have to kill off a bunch of zombies to even reach the pooch. I'll also have to work out how to get the dog in the humvee, which I think I can do if I just build another seat, since if everyone goes out we fill up the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I haven’t really tried having npc buddies maybe I should give that a go.