Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
store.steampowered.com/app/1019310/VirtuaVerse/

New cyberpunk game. Reviews seems ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xaris posted:

Starbound is really bad but you're technically paying $14 for Hypnospace Outlaw which is extremely good, and just coincidentally also a key for a bad game by pure happenstance
I know, it just makes me feel almost insulted that they'd put that in the highest tier, of all places.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As someone who hasn't really played either, what is so bad about Starbound? And is it something you wouldn't notice if you'd never played Terraria?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cardiovorax posted:

I know, it just makes me feel almost insulted that they'd put that in the highest tier, of all places.
yeah fair enough it is. but if it convinces enough people to buy the $15 bundle because ~terraria in space WOW! i always wanted that, its just like minecraft~ and they end up playing Hypnospace Outlaw + HO devs some more money instead, well, that's enough of a win that'll i'll tolerate it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mordja posted:

As someone who hasn't really played either, what is so bad about Starbound? And is it something you wouldn't notice if you'd never played Terraria?

I'll throw Audish's review out there for you, and imo it's a bit too generous of a review overall (because Audish is too nice of a guy at times and tries to see the best in everything), but it's probably fairer response than people who Kickstarter-ed it and getting burned badly responding with (deserved) vitrol about it would provide you

quote:

There’s so much I could talk about in Starbound that ends up ruined by needless complications and restrictions. It’s maddening because the game is ostensibly about the freedom to do what you want, explore where you want, and build what you want, but the design simply does not support those goals. Terraria understood how to achieve this, how to give players this freedom while placing new items and options just close enough to strive for. Starbound gives you an entire galaxy of possibilities and then slaps your hand away every time you reach for them, pointing you back to laborious quests or high prices to deal with first. I wish I could like Starbound, I really do, because it’s gorgeous and charming and has so much to do, but it refuses to just let you enjoy any of it. Until it learns to ease up I’ll be building castles and soaring through the clouds in you-know-what, because it doesn’t feel so much like work there.

Starbound was a game that I very much expected to like. I’m a huge fan of Minecraft and Terraria, I love science fiction, and some of my favorite games are those that give you a wealth of ways to interact with the world. The formula was perfect for me, and I approached it ready for adventures and creative endeavors spanning the stars. And after a few hours tooling around in it, I dropped it and moved on to something else.

It’s harsh to say that Starbound is a bad game, but my disappointment in it has never really faded. For a moment I saw the full potential in it, for that brief time that the whole universe of possibilities was open to me. But that potential has always been chained by a restrictive economy, poorly-integrated systems, and myriad other aggravations. Despite my best efforts and every advantage I could give it, Starbound still couldn’t get out from under those issues. What enjoyment I’ve derived from it has come far more from those I played with and our shared experiences than from anything the game itself does. That’s been the real takeaway from this saga, and as I turn away from Starbound perhaps for good I look forward to the new adventures I can have with my friends, in games more suited to our goals.

https://goldplatedgames.com/2017/07/25/review-starbound/

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 12, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

got a spare hotline miami if anyone wants

0KY*V-QG*E0-*G540

three seven nine
Thank you! I must be the last person who hasn't played it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mordja posted:

It was half-assed in a lot of ways so some elements of itself don't work (NPC AI, lovely procedural generation, boring loot). Calling it one of the worst Terraria clones is laughable though and in truth the game is perfectly fine for one story mode run. There will be jank, sure, but still way better than actual poo poo like Edge of Space.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1259239566613020675

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

God I hope they have some kind of retroactive points.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Det_no posted:

There will be jank, sure, but still way better than actual poo poo like Edge of Space.
Nah. I "enjoyed" Starbound and Edge of Space about equally much. It's just a mess.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God I hope they have some kind of retroactive points.
It's probably just a temporary sales reward thing like they've done the last couple of sales.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mordja posted:

Unpaid child labor went into Starbound

e: https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/2/20839830/starbound-developers-chucklefish-game-industry-exploitation

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Awesome! posted:

if you somehow dont own hotline or dustforce they are definitely worth a buck.

ive seen very mediocre things about moonlighter

Moonlighter is a cute-looking but otherwise nondescript Zelda game with a terribly tedious shopkeeping game attached to it. All you want to do is go back to the dungeon but no, you have to watch some old dude putter around in your store for fifteen minutes at a time and leave without buying anything. The only way I'd ever go back to it is if there was a way to completely mod out the shop half of the game. It is just no fun at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wow he's a classy guy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I didn't want to go into that can, merely on the merits it's a bad game, but yeah tons of completely unpaid labor and strongarming with ~promises~ went into it.

Also toxic culture of sexual harassment, including one goonnete dev

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Was Pillars of Eternity II really good or underwhelming?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Now that is incredible timing. Totally preordering that.

E:

GreatGreen posted:

It’s really good if you liked POE I. It’s that, but more polished and complex with a lot of flaws fixed. If you’re not into combat heavy RPGs though, it’s likely not your cup of tea.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

GreatGreen posted:

Really good. Miles better than PoE 1.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreatGreen posted:

I bought it a few weeks ago and binged through the whole thing. I really liked it a lot. I had only managed to get through maybe 1/3 of the first game.

My only problem was that I wish that I had never seen any Critical Role because basically everyone does voices for the game and I can't stop thinking of that. Its obviously not an actual problem

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 12, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

It's a good game with an expansive and interesting world, but with a really weak and short main quest that has a very divisive ending. If you go into it treating it as basically a sandbox to explore at your leisure, you will probably like it. It's definitely the better game between POE1 and POE2 and the dual class mechanics makes character building far more diverse and interesting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OzFactor posted:

Moonlighter is a cute-looking but otherwise nondescript Zelda game with a terribly tedious shopkeeping game attached to it. All you want to do is go back to the dungeon but no, you have to watch some old dude putter around in your store for fifteen minutes at a time and leave without buying anything. The only way I'd ever go back to it is if there was a way to completely mod out the shop half of the game. It is just no fun at all.

I never played it but after watching an hour or so of a let's play I arrived at that same conclusion, yeah. Like, the shop is the central gimmick of the game, and at first being a fantasy shopkeeper sounds kind of neat, but at the end of the day all it's doing is taking the same old dungeon crawling gameplay loop (go to dungeon, get loot, sell loot) and adding a bunch of extra steps that waste your time and aren't fun.

Also there's some weird Pipe Dream puzzle bullshit going on with the inventory system, where not only do you have to fit all your items onto a space-limited grid, but you have to be careful not to put certain items next to each other or you'll suffer penalties, if I recall correctly. Basically it seems like it just takes the standard dungeon crawler formula and added gimmicks that don't work and aren't fun

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a good game with an expansive and interesting world, but with a really weak and short main quest that has a very divisive ending. If you go into it treating it as basically a sandbox to explore at your leisure, you will probably like it. It's definitely the better game between POE1 and POE2 and the dual class mechanics makes character building far more diverse and interesting.

I didn't like the ending of the main quest, but I enjoyed it well enough up until then. But aside from the main quest, a lot of the side content is pretty solid and well-written. The factional drama in the setting was the best part of the plot, I thought.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Really good if you like that kind of game. It doesn't break any new ground but as far as the Infinity Engine-likes go, it's one of the best.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pillars of Eternity 3 deserves to exist, dammit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I didn't like the ending of the main quest, but I enjoyed it well enough up until then. But aside from the main quest, a lot of the side content is pretty solid and well-written. The factional drama in the setting was the best part of the plot, I thought.
Yeah, the game world is very large and fully realized and definitely the best part of the game. Since you can put off progressing in the main quest basically as long as you want after a point and there is some good DLC, treating that as the meat of the game is a perfectly serviceable approach to take.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Pillars of Eternity 3 deserves to exist, dammit.

Agreed, I looked for something similar to play after finishing 2 but I've already played the ones I'd be interested in

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GreatGreen posted:

Extremely good. It's so good that despite being a direct sequel to PoE 1, it's still fantastic even if it you hated PoE 1.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks for all the Pillars replies, guys.

I think I'll pick it up!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never played it but after watching an hour or so of a let's play I arrived at that same conclusion, yeah. Like, the shop is the central gimmick of the game, and at first being a fantasy shopkeeper sounds kind of neat, but at the end of the day all it's doing is taking the same old dungeon crawling gameplay loop (go to dungeon, get loot, sell loot) and adding a bunch of extra steps that waste your time and aren't fun.

The entire shopkeeping side of the game boils down to "what if, when selling your vendor trash to NPCs, you had to guess what the right price is and it takes a while to see how good your guess was?"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its weird because people like recettear. i guess the shop gameplay is deeper in that one or something

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Triarii posted:

The entire shopkeeping side of the game boils down to "what if, when selling your vendor trash to NPCs, you had to guess what the right price is and it takes a while to see how good your guess was?"

Do they at least give you like an "average market price" hint per item or anything?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The weirdest thing about PoE2 is that it is unquestionably a better game than the first. Absolutely everything is better executed.

And yet it still lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. I still really like it, but I've never finished it. I obsessively played the first, griped about its flaws, saw the flaws get rectified in the sequel, but the sequel left me less…whelmed? How does that even work? It's completely asinine.

Still a good game though. I'm a bit sad that they didn't put a character as repulsive as Durance into the sequel.

Also, everyone should play Tyranny. Like, right now.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Do they at least give you like an "average market price" hint per item or anything?

Not that I recall, but you can pretty quickly zero in on the highest price people are willing to pay as you sell a few of each item. And it's not worth spending a ton of effort to perfectly maximize the price because, again, this is all just vendor trash and you're going to get a better tier of vendor trash that sells for much more when you progress to the next dungeon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I never finished Tyranny, but it starts out really strong and I prefer its character system a lot over POE2's. It's very freeform and it makes being a wizard really, really fun and rewarding.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

The weirdest thing about PoE2 is that it is unquestionably a better game than the first. Absolutely everything is better executed.

And yet it still lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. I still really like it, but I've never finished it. I obsessively played the first, griped about its flaws, saw the flaws get rectified in the sequel, but the sequel left me less…whelmed? How does that even work? It's completely asinine.

Still a good game though. I'm a bit sad that they didn't put a character as repulsive as Durance into the sequel.

FWIW i had the opposite reactions to the two PoEs; it took me forever to finish PoE 1 because I just couldn't get into the setting (until the big reveal at the end, which retroactively makes it all extremely good) but I couldn't put PoE 2 down. It also took me forever to beat, but only because I kept rolling new characters before even reaching Neketaka. But that's a me thing

Agreed about Tyranny though

Awesome! posted:

its weird because people like recettear. i guess the shop gameplay is deeper in that one or something

I'm not too familiar with recettear but from what I've watched of moonlighter, the issue is that the shopkeeping mechanic is so aggresively time-wasting and tedious that it just makes you pine for the "sell" button from more traditional games. It seems to just be a guessing game about whether customers are happy or sad about your price, and also they move too slow so it just takes a long time to do anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Awesome! posted:

Recettear has to be understood in the context of when it was released (2007). It was novel for independent games to exist at all back when it came out, its main competition was flash games and warcraft 3 custom maps. (what I mean is, there is absolutely nothing to the shop mechanics in recettear and they'd get panned today)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I guess Obsidian is making some silly Honey I Shrunk the Kids type Co op survival game next instead of another rpg :(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

No Wave posted:

Recettear has to be understood in the context of when it was released (2007). It was novel for independent games to exist at all back when it came out, its main competition was flash games and warcraft 3 custom maps. (what I mean is, there is absolutely nothing to the shop mechanics in recettear and they'd get panned today)

I don't know about moonlighter but I found the shop stuff in recettear a lot of fun. The localization adds a lot of charm, at least for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's super repetitive and not, like, well-designed gameplay. You do better ignoring every mechanic in the game and just selling everything cheaply for combo bonuses. I don't actually think poorly of the game given its context but the shop mechanics aren't something new games should copy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I have to say, for me the most offputting thing, not having played it yet, is the swashbuckling seas setting. It's kind of my least-favorite high fantasy setting. I've always found that the elements I like most about "swords and spells over medieval Europe technology" settings are magic and mystery/intrigue, and I think those are much better suited to more... temperate zones, with maybe tangents in snowy mountains, sandy deserts, and then the balls out crazy otherworldly places. Sorry if anybody thinks that's too cliche or unimaginative, but what can I say? I like what I like, and they wouldn't be cliches if they weren't so popular because they worked so well.

Either way, I'm still confident the game will be good. I'm downloading it now. All I'm saying is that I can see why the game might not scratch the "platonic ideal CRPG" itch.

Then again I think Morrowind is one of the best and most interesting fantasy games of all time and its setting is anything but cliche so who knows.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Antigravitas posted:

I mean, there's Maia.