Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

D34THROW posted:

I hate to admit that we've sort of neglected loving on our remaining pre-mass-rescue buns since we picked the 25 rescues up. However, Zuba (the Original Bun) has been getting out every night (no free-roam because insane loving children) for snuggles, and she will happily let me plop her right onto my wife's chest, where she will happily sit for an hour before hopping off to visit with me and grandma. Last night, she snuggled my head for a while and little whisker tickles on my ears were superb. :neckbeard:

I think you need to start mass-bonding your rabbits. You need to get to the point where you can have a herd of them running around making a giant cuddlepuddle for everybody’s benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think you need to start mass-bonding your rabbits. You need to get to the point where you can have a herd of them running around making a giant cuddlepuddle for everybody’s benefit.

If we weren't trying to adopt out 8 of them (fat chance right now), we would. We don't want to bond unless we're sure; Jobie hasn't been the same since Sil died, and Perdita hasn't been right since Penny died. A stuffie does not replace their partner.

In this time of crisis, let us turn to Pongo, Henry, and Naenae for a reminder of what is important: humping the poo poo out of your stuffed animals around the clock. I don't want to know how much bunny :gizz: is in my washing machine. :barf:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Harriet has spring fever and is digging up her enclosure again. Time to build a dig box while in isolation. I can't use our precious toilet paper. Thoughts?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet has spring fever and is digging up her enclosure again. Time to build a dig box while in isolation. I can't use our precious toilet paper. Thoughts?

Phone books? Printer paper? The bones of her enemies?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Phone books? Printer paper? The bones of her enemies?
Don't have phone books cause it's 2020. Don't have a printer. Since social isolation she cannot get to them right now so she has to rely on her squirrel army

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Don't have phone books cause it's 2020. Don't have a printer. Since social isolation she cannot get to them right now so she has to rely on her squirrel army

A litter that’s very different from what she’s used to is best, ideally so she doesn’t recognize it as “I can toilet in here”—so maybe paper pellet or wood pellet if she’s used to shredded litter or vice versa. Both are easy enough to find at like Petco or even target.

Actual soil (without additives) if you’re feeling generous and froggy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

D34THROW posted:

Those are some pissed-off-looking lops. What'd you do, steal their poops?
Whatever it was, I have plenty of time to make it up to them :3:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Here's how Harriet is helping me with isolation.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Whatever it was, I have plenty of time to make it up to them :3:

You should not not not have that wire mesh under their feet at any point. Very bad for them especially as it looks like they would need to jump on and off of it. Better for them just to go right on the paper, and you replace it daily.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Walrus posted:

You should not not not have that wire mesh under their feet at any point. Very bad for them especially as it looks like they would need to jump on and off of it. Better for them just to go right on the paper, and you replace it daily.
It's not an emergency situation but yeah, lose the mesh. Over time you're just going to irritate their feet. Some breeds have more sensitive feet than others but there's no reason for it. They aren't going to soak their feet in pee or anything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not an emergency situation but yeah, lose the mesh. Over time you're just going to irritate their feet. Some breeds have more sensitive feet than others but there's no reason for it. They aren't going to soak their feet in pee or anything.

If it’s free floating like that it can also easily become a crush/break hazard for their digits and hands/feet. With the way rabbits hop they can easily snap their toes under the mesh jumping out of the litter tray

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

If it’s free floating like that it can also easily become a crush/break hazard for their digits and hands/feet. With the way rabbits hop they can easily snap their toes under the mesh jumping out of the litter tray
Huh, I would never have considered this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The thing is, while I know a lot of people advise against it, I've seen dozens of rabbits all using this system and never found a single one with sore hocks, and I'm checking their feet every time I move them or clean their pen. (In practice, Bert and Ernie's boxes are covered with a thin layer of hay over the mesh anyway. I'm not sure what Ok means by "free floating," but the mesh rack has feet and sits into the base of the tray so that there's not more than a centimeter for the rack to move in any direction.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just don't understand why it's necessary in the first place. Fill that poo poo with hay and I guarantee they'll still mainly eat the hay from the feeder.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm fairly sure that hay that's already been urinated/stomped on is considered a delicacy for rabbits, right up there with cables, votive candles and the rubber buttons on TV remotes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

The thing is, while I know a lot of people advise against it, I've seen dozens of rabbits all using this system and never found a single one with sore hocks, and I'm checking their feet every time I move them or clean their pen. (In practice, Bert and Ernie's boxes are covered with a thin layer of hay over the mesh anyway. I'm not sure what Ok means by "free floating," but the mesh rack has feet and sits into the base of the tray so that there's not more than a centimeter for the rack to move in any direction.

it's the fact the mesh is raised above the 'floor', their toes can slip through and break very easily. please reconsider as it seems like you want what is best for your rabs and finding a different situation is best.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Walrus posted:

it's the fact the mesh is raised above the 'floor', their toes can slip through and break very easily. please reconsider as it seems like you want what is best for your rabs and finding a different situation is best.

Because it’s floating (as in not fastened to any anchor points) the rabbits can kick it, slide it around, bounce it when they hop, etc.

when a rabbit winds up to jump they can get their digits under the mesh and then come down on them. I’ve seen a break happen like that with my own eyes, which is why I bring it up.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Fellow rescuer friend of my wife's had someone from her church donate a shitton of greens, so she passed some on to us. Most of it was in lovely shape but out of 4 giant (think foodservice) bags of spring mix and 5 of arugula, I managed to get 8 days' worth of arugula. These are some happy drat buns and we thank her :unsmith:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Fellow rescuer friend of my wife's had someone from her church donate a shitton of greens, so she passed some on to us. Most of it was in lovely shape but out of 4 giant (think foodservice) bags of spring mix and 5 of arugula, I managed to get 8 days' worth of arugula. These are some happy drat buns and we thank her :unsmith:

You should be posting more pictures of rabs. During trying times, why not capitalize on your situation and also share the gift of bun times? Why do you not do this? :( :( :(

Make a bunblog or instagram or some poo poo and post pics here. JESUS christ.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Harlequin has started squeaking when he cleans himself, and I think I caught him snoring the other day. I'm trying to get video but haven't managed it yet.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The latest Nature on PBS is on rabbits, including the elusive swamp rabbit

https://www.pbs.org/video/remarkable-rabbits-a2lqwt/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deadite posted:

The latest Nature on PBS is on rabbits, including the elusive swamp rabbit

https://www.pbs.org/video/remarkable-rabbits-a2lqwt/

Definitely gonna use rabbit showing to better involve myself in the local chubby dude queer scene when I reach my dotage years.

My favorite part is when they interview like four dudes back-to-back who all look “Ok Comboomer, age 55.”

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

It’s Easter and he hates when we do this but he dutifully let us take a picture.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have absolutely no idea why he keeps trying to dig in my kitchen. We’ve tried everything but he won’t stop. I don’t want to fence my kitchen off, but I will

He has a dig box but he’s been using it less and less and has turned his attention to the kitchen floor. It’s linoleum so he won’t get through it but it’s still loud and annoying and we’re stuck inside with him.

I've tried spraying it with bitter apple and it works for a bit but he's not licking it he's just digging so it's a problem still. I have a big tile sample that I covered the spot with but now he's digging onto that instead, but I don't want him to hurt himself on it. Now when he digs into it he licks his paws so I'm wondering if he's hurting his claws or something. Then again I guess if he hurts himself with it enough he'll just stop.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I only ever have luck with redirecting behaviour. If you have a digging box put it where he's scrabbling at. If he moves, move the box. It will be a battle of who is more stubborn.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

I have absolutely no idea why he keeps trying to dig in my kitchen. We’ve tried everything but he won’t stop. I don’t want to fence my kitchen off, but I will

He has a dig box but he’s been using it less and less and has turned his attention to the kitchen floor. It’s linoleum so he won’t get through it but it’s still loud and annoying and we’re stuck inside with him.

I've tried spraying it with bitter apple and it works for a bit but he's not licking it he's just digging so it's a problem still. I have a big tile sample that I covered the spot with but now he's digging onto that instead, but I don't want him to hurt himself on it. Now when he digs into it he licks his paws so I'm wondering if he's hurting his claws or something. Then again I guess if he hurts himself with it enough he'll just stop.
For whatever reason, digging has been the hardest thing I've found to get rabbits to stop doing. Even worse than chewing. One of ours is insistently digging into the side of the other rabbit's cage lately. We've tried putting the two of them together, putting him into the cage, he doesn't seem to want that. He just wants to dig.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

For whatever reason, digging has been the hardest thing I've found to get rabbits to stop doing. Even worse than chewing. One of ours is insistently digging into the side of the other rabbit's cage lately. We've tried putting the two of them together, putting him into the cage, he doesn't seem to want that. He just wants to dig.

https://youtu.be/GBFwXoyjU2E

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The boys were spending most of their time under their playhouse, digging in the corner. So I moved it a few inches away from the corner and put a dig box behind it, full of torn scraps of the rug they already tore up.

Bert dragged it out of the corner so he could dig at the floor.

I put a rock in it.

Bert is strong enough to drag like half his body weight in rocks.

I put two boxes in the corner with a rock in each box. That seems to work?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I actually have been occasionally concerned by Lillian's steadfast refusal to ever dig. We've offered her digboxes several times and she just stares at them or walks around in them. It sounds like I should be counting my blessing that she doesn't dig, but I have to trim her nails constantly which every time leads to a full 48 hours of her turning her back on my every time I come into the room which hurts my feelings I'm delicate

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What's everyone using for litter? I've been having good results with Über after finding CritterCare too dusty, plus Bunny Sanders loves digging in it.

Also the thin shreds mean I can just dump the whole box straight onto the compost pile

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just use carefresh with hay on top

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I use the cheap bulk stuff from Tractor Supply with newspaper on top.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

...paper towels and puppy training pads. Anything else gets caught in her fur.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

...paper towels and puppy training pads. Anything else gets caught in her fur.

That’s called “enrichment” dummy

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7AQGHC9dvI

He found out that he can jump off the couch onto his cage where we keep his food so this has been my life recently.

I have blankets up there so he won't get his feet caught and I know at this point the only way to stop him is to let him just get bored with it so I'm not really going to do anything about it, he's only really at risk if he jumps off onto the cage door but every time I've seen him do it he jumps off to the left or back onto the couch so it's probably fine.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
update: he fell off and he's hiding under the bed now. he's probably fine but i can't check until he emerges. didn't see anything immediately bad though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

update: he fell off and he's hiding under the bed now. he's probably fine but i can't check until he emerges. didn't see anything immediately bad though

Oh no! Poor little idiot. Hopefully he’s ok but I’d look for breaks in the limbs, digits, and possibly face or elsewhere depending on how he fell.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i checked, he's fine. probably shaken up, but he's fine. he's currently trying to dig through the linoleum in my kitchen and ten minutes ago he was doing laps around my table so he seems okay. i'll keep an eye on him and see if anything's fishy.

i'll have to block off the cage i guess, but that's doable.

here's another picture

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Replace the basket with a large stock pot, see if he still jumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
long shot but would any us folks be able to buy a few of these and ship to Canada for Cleo? Finding it impossible to find an equivalent product that I can buy here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00416I40M

edit: I can of course throw you some cash to make it worth your time

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 23, 2020