Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s a stage recording. This move seemed strange to me at first but then I realized the original plan of taking another year and a half to theatrically release a stage recording was probably stranger.

Maybe they wanted to get some distance away from Cats, the harbinger of death for theatrically released Broadway musicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Or they're trying to deter nolan from releasing tenet
Or catering to city folks who will still be in quarantine for the 4th

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Maybe they wanted to get some distance away from Cats, the harbinger of death for theatrically released Broadway musicals.

Cats isn’t gonna be the death of movie musicals. Every year someone proclaims that “the musical is dead!” and then three more come out that year and like fuckin Greatest Showman becomes one of the top ten grossing films ever

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

DC Murderverse posted:

I can't believe that they had this movie scheduled for literally 17 months from now and were literally just gonna sit on a completed film for all that time

it was probably a stipulation by the show's producers to mitigate the impact on live performances. that's now a moot point for a while, of course

meanwhile, Russell Crowe stars in the first* wide release post-COVID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdxDXoODKN8

*if the theaters are actually open at sufficient capacity by July 1st, which is iffy when LA is likely to extend its stay-at-home orders into August which in turn makes the major studios likely to further delay their July releases which in turn delays the viability of theater reopenings

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
Popeye by Genndy Tartakovsky, first announced in 2012, is finally greenlit, again. This one even had a quasi-trailer in 2014, but was canned in favor of The Emoji Movie and more Hotel Transylvania sequels. I'm still pretty skeptical about the cultural relevance of Popeye in 2021/2022 when this comes out, but Nancy has proven that you can reinvent an ancient media property to some degree of success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM

JfishPirate fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 12, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FoneBone posted:

it was probably a stipulation by the show's producers to mitigate the impact on live performances.

That's precisely what it is. Hamilton is still sold-out every drat night both on Broadway and in its touring performances (well ... it was, anyway), and for that and other shows, theaters have strict policies against recording performances. It has to do with an agreement with the Coalition of Broadway Unions and Guilds.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've always thought that Popeye demo reel looked terrific and if they ended up with something like that it'd be a better adaptation than the vast majority of properties get. It's great news that that version of the film is greenlit.

That being said. Seeing Disney do such fun stuff like this with Mickey in 2D makes me wish that Popeye could get the same treatment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W18nAXue7hM

Even the new Looney Tunes is paying terrific homage to their originals with their upcoming show, though with a little less modern 2D animation touches than Mickey. Popeye being one of the OGs should deserve that kind of treatment. However, if we get a great spirit in adaptation it doesn't really matter, but it would be a nice cherry on top.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 13, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

JfishPirate posted:

Popeye by Genndy Tartakovsky, first announced in 2012, is finally greenlit, again. This one even had a quasi-trailer in 2014, but was canned in favor of The Emoji Movie and more Hotel Transylvania sequels. I'm still pretty skeptical about the cultural relevance of Popeye in 2021/2022 when this comes out, but Nancy has proven that you can reinvent an ancient media property to some degree of success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM

I like it’s look and style

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DC Murderverse posted:

I can't believe that they had this movie scheduled for literally 17 months from now and were literally just gonna sit on a completed film for all that time

or at least one that they actually had a hand in producing and was not just thrust on them ala New Mutants

they wanted to milk the theater dorks

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Codependent Poster posted:

Gotta make sure to really give the film time to dwell on the pants making GBS threads.

yes.

A film where Al Capone, instead of being this badass criminal underworld king is a barely sentient pantshitting moron like he was during his last years, is on paper at least, a great idea.+

semi related:
I am a big Bowie fan but I would never watch a Bowie biopic except if it was focused on some specific part on his career like The Berlin Years or on young Bowie's various failed schemes to make it big or maybe even on his last album that he basically made on his deathbed. But to be realistic Hollywood would much rather make a film that would cover his entire career generally from the 60s to at least the 90s and with some sort of redemption arc where he starts to do and then quits drugs and it would suck.

I´m also a big Captain Beefheart fan and Frank (2014) has basically prematurely made any future Captain Beefheart film obsolete despite technically being a Frank Sidebottom film because the general arc of the film is basically about the recording of Trout Mask Replica.

I vaguely recall some Tarantino interview where he said he hated biopics but if he ever made one it would just be about Elvis on the day before recording his first big hit or something along those lines.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh yeah, an "entire life" true-story Bowie biopic would just be the loving worst. He's one of those whose career and life would demand some off-kilter telling like I'm Not There at the least or Lisztomania ideally.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

I vaguely recall some Tarantino interview where he said he hated biopics but if he ever made one it would just be about Elvis on the day before recording his first big hit or something along those lines.

and then he gets attacked by chinese gong fu vampires

cuz tarantino

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

yes.

A film where Al Capone, instead of being this badass criminal underworld king is a barely sentient pantshitting moron like he was during his last years, is on paper at least, a great idea.+

semi related:
I am a big Bowie fan but I would never watch a Bowie biopic except if it was focused on some specific part on his career like The Berlin Years or on young Bowie's various failed schemes to make it big or maybe even on his last album that he basically made on his deathbed. But to be realistic Hollywood would much rather make a film that would cover his entire career generally from the 60s to at least the 90s and with some sort of redemption arc where he starts to do and then quits drugs and it would suck.

I´m also a big Captain Beefheart fan and Frank (2014) has basically prematurely made any future Captain Beefheart film obsolete despite technically being a Frank Sidebottom film because the general arc of the film is basically about the recording of Trout Mask Replica.

Do it about his time in LA around when he made Station To Station and was going insane while doing entirely too much cocaine. It's a horror movie about him locked in his apartment.

For real though, he cultured such an image of otherness and celebrity and otherworldliness that even focusing on him as a human would be a huge misstep. I think if you were to have Bowie show up in a movie at all it would need to be just as a cameo, and his presence would have to be entirely magical and impossible and not at all in line with the logic of the rest of the movie. I can't even imagine an actor playing him beyond the obvious Tilda and frankly I'd kind of hate that too.

edit: the best Bowie biopic we're ever going to get is Lazarus, and that's a jukebox musical where almost all the songs are radically different from the recorded versions and it's actually just an abstract adaptation of The Man Who Fell To Earth

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 13, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've had a script idea kicking around for an X Japan biopic for a minute. Their story gets absolutely wild in parts, they were (are?) a loving incredible band, and most Americans have no idea any part of it exists unless they're giant weeaboos.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i didnt even know capone DIDNT die in prison

the places you learn poo poo

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

For real though, he cultured such an image of otherness and celebrity and otherworldliness that even focusing on him as a human would be a huge misstep.

I still remember the odd disconnect seeing the Man Who Fell To Earth for the first time and being presented with the fact that David Bowie had normal human gentials.

Like, I don't know what I was expecting. But not that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a hollywood biopic would be about as subtle as a loving jackhammer

*bowie watches nasa liftoff while taking a walk near Cape Canaveral*

*pulls out guitar*

"ground control...hmm yes yes"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It would would involve lots of consensual sex with adult women.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe a Subway Jared biopic? Get Roman Polanski to direct.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Iman and his kids would never allow a straight-up biopic, but Angie definitely would and if she had the rights to do it she absolutely would have already. It would be entirely scenes of her walking up to him as he dyed his hair red and saying "hey babe, your hair's alright" while he stares agape and poo poo instead of what she actually did which was tell him to scream that he's gay despite being married to her and making him wear this thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Do it about his time in LA around when he made Station To Station and was going insane while doing entirely too much cocaine. It's a horror movie about him locked in his apartment.

A slasher movie with Bowie as the killer and everybody's cocaine as the victims.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ziggy Nosedust

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just make The Invisible Man 2020 again but she's running from a completely visible David Bowie

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/theatermania/status/1259845730522542082?s=20

I know what you're doing this weekend

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
David Bowie was a child molestor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Biopic of David Bowie and his shapeshifting supervillain friend.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Biopic of David Bowie and his shapeshifting supervillain friend.

idgi

I must not own that LP

or any really

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

idgi

I must not own that LP

or any really

It’s a reference to the Venture Bros. In an early season, David Bowie is revealed to be the Sovereign, the leader of the supervillain organization The Guild of Calamitous Intent, and has shapeshifting powers. However, in a later season they retconned it into not being the real Bowie but rather an anonymous shapeshifter who befriended Bowie in the 80s (he was the model for the cover of Diamond Dogs) and assumed his identity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also a couple of other supervillains are implied to be Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper, having faked their deaths to join the Guild, and end up with two heads on one body.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also a couple of other supervillains are implied to be Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper, having faked their deaths to join the Guild, and end up with two heads on one body.

And they were recruited by Fantômas who at the time just wanted to start a band where he could (badly) play the sousaphone and somehow that became a supervillain guild.

Venture Bros. is pretty weird.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Would the Bowie biopic win the Best Editing Oscar despite being the worst edited major release besides maybe Suicide Squad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

porfiria posted:

That doesn't mean Hollywood isn't desperately going to try and make a loving biopic about him.

AceOfFlames posted:

However, in a later season they retconned it into not being the real Bowie

On the commentaries they imply that they were pushed into that retcon by the network for legal purposes. The quote was something along the lines of "Apparently you can't just make a real person into an ongoing character in your show if it goes beyond a one-off parody." The network also forced their hang to retcon Johnny Quest into a legally-distinct Action Johnny even though they had clearance to use the character and Race Bannon early on.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 13, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

That doesn't mean Hollywood isn't desperately going to try and make a loving biopic about him.

On the commentaries they imply that they were pushed into that retcon by the network for legal purposes. The quote was something along the lines of "Apparently you can't just make a real person into an ongoing character in your show if it goes beyond a one-off parody." The network also forced their hang to retcon Johnny Quest into a legally-distinct Action Johnny even though they had clearance to use the character and Race Bannon early on.

I think a part of that might be that they didn't expect VB to blow up like it did and so it'd be the only place most viewers would know Johnny Quest from, also that they were developing a new Johnny Quest show at the time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My assumption is that Adult Swim was still super fresh off its naive "let's just take what we own and gently caress around with it" Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Sealab 2021 days when Venture Bros. premiered, and they hadn't fully recognized or understood the value of the IPs that they had in their back pocket. When Hollywood came calling for the rights to a JQ movie and they saw the 0s, they realized it wasn't a good look to have allowed the character to become a strung-out heroin addict on a late-night cartoon.

I'm not convinced VB ever "blew up" at any point in its run. Are there viewership numbers out there?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 13, 2020

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Is this the butthole cut of legend and song?

feedmyleg posted:

I'm not convinced VB ever "blew up" at any point in its fun. Are there viewership numbers out there?

It seems to get consistent buzz whenever they release a new season every 5 years or so

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Would the Bowie biopic win the Best Editing Oscar despite being the worst edited major release besides maybe Suicide Squad.

If you did the most by the numbers linear traditional biopic of Bowie it could be a terrible mess in so many ways and still win every single Oscar that year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This guy came up in another thread, and made me think of a different possible take on the Bowie biopic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This guy came up in another thread, and made me think of a different possible take on the Bowie biopic.

That guy's worth like $50 because nerds wants the heterochromatic cat in their animal crossing village

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

So he should be the dem nominee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

That guy's worth like $50 because nerds wants the heterochromatic cat in their animal crossing village

This is the only cat you need: