Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its more that stuff like elven reproduction is a whole deep dive into weird 1930s catholic ideas about sex and whooo boy

I believe Legendary Forums User Elise The Great has posted quite enough about Elvish mating habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When did beren and luthien first have sex

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The evening of March 22nd, 1916, I would guess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

euphronius posted:

When did beren and luthien first have sex

Deffo premaritally

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VanSandman posted:

I believe Legendary Forums User Elise The Great has posted quite enough about Elvish mating habits.

Never enough

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My guess is on the hike from Saurons tower to Angband when they were chased by Celegorm

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

My guess is on the hike from Saurons tower to Angband when they were chased by Celegorm

Imo its before that. They were meeting up, alone, in the woods, all summer, at least once spending the night together, before Daeron ratted them out to Thingol. Thingol’s attitude to Beren also clearly assumes they’ve been doing more than just playing tengwar-scrabble all night, tho I guess he could be wrong to assume so

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
How many kids did they have and when? That's when they had sex.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

Nicol Williamson (played Merlin in Excalibur) did a (sadly abridged) reading of The Hobbit back in the day. It owns. He even manages to make “Tra-la-la-lally” sound good

If there's anything that trains you how to speak prose it's being a Shakespearian actor!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

I know it's not the point, but after a few minutes I'm unimpressed with him as a narrator.

agreed

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Another good thing that came from Andy Serkis reading the Hobbit (besides the whole charity thing) is that it made me pull the trigger on a LOTR audiobook. I spend a ton of time in the car and I’m sick of trying to always find new podcasts.

Rob Inglis is a BOMB rear end narrator. Every voice is so distinct. He’s amazing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Rob Inglis is my favorite too. In fact, more often than not I put on one of his Tolkien audiobooks at bedtime to go to sleep. His voice is so soothing and the material is so familiar to me it's like a warm fuzzy blanket.

It's a shame he never did any other audiobooks other than the first Earthsea book. Apparently before he did the audiobooks he had a one man show where he performed The Hobbit, and that's how they picked him for the audiobooks. To me, his is the definitive version.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Imagined posted:

Rob Inglis is my favorite too. In fact, more often than not I put on one of his Tolkien audiobooks at bedtime to go to sleep. His voice is so soothing and the material is so familiar to me it's like a warm fuzzy blanket.

It's a shame he never did any other audiobooks other than the first Earthsea book. Apparently before he did the audiobooks he had a one man show where he performed The Hobbit, and that's how they picked him for the audiobooks. To me, his is the definitive version.

Apparently, his is the only unabridged version of LOTR. Which makes sense, when it’s that good, why even bother with another one? Don’t mess with perfection.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I also read that his versions of the songs are a mixture of Tolkien's melodies, his own inventions, and those of a composer who worked for Recorded Books Incorporated. Regardless, they're what I hear in my head.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Imagined posted:

Wow, thanks for the heads up on these. I went to reactivate my Audible account to buy these but apparently I qualified for a new free trial with 2 credits. Then I went to buy the books and I guess FotR and TTT are on sale 2 for 1 credit. I got them and RotK for the other credit.

So I got all three for free is what I’m saying. Just a heads up for anyone else interested.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

Imo its before that. They were meeting up, alone, in the woods, all summer, at least once spending the night together, before Daeron ratted them out to Thingol. Thingol’s attitude to Beren also clearly assumes they’ve been doing more than just playing tengwar-scrabble all night, tho I guess he could be wrong to assume so

Oh right
After beren sees her the second time

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

...tengwar scrabble would look great, at least

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

...tengwar scrabble would look great, at least

Tengwar, like Devanagari, seems like it would be very difficult to implement in scrabble

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

SHISHKABOB posted:

How many kids did they have and when? That's when they had sex.

One son. And who says JR couldn't write Protestants lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably there yeah

(It’s a really good poem)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh I got the wrong part it was a couple liens further as Skaison says

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

euphronius posted:

Oh I got the wrong part it was a couple liens further as Skaison says

dairedditor

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Wow, thanks for the heads up on these. I went to reactivate my Audible account to buy these but apparently I qualified for a new free trial with 2 credits. Then I went to buy the books and I guess FotR and TTT are on sale 2 for 1 credit. I got them and RotK for the other credit.

So I got all three for free is what I’m saying. Just a heads up for anyone else interested.

Can you download them or do you have to listen to them in Audible? I hate Amazon so I don't want to give them any money, but that's really, really tempting...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Can you download them or do you have to listen to them in Audible? I hate Amazon so I don't want to give them any money, but that's really, really tempting...

I believe you can download the file via a desktop/laptop in .aax format.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

On the recommendation of this thread I got the Lord of the Rings audio book. This Inglis guy is really good. It isn't what I expected, but that kind of makes it better. It gives me a new voice to hear the books from, which is refreshing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you're into this sort of thing, you probably also want to check out the 1981 BBC Radio dramatisation.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Trin Tragula posted:

If you're into this sort of thing, you probably also want to check out the 1981 BBC Radio dramatisation.

How does it differ from the audiobooks?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

How does it differ from the audiobooks?

Radio dramas have a full cast, with actors playing individual parts.

In that BBC version, Ian Holm plays Frodo.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mahoning posted:

Radio dramas have a full cast, with actors playing individual parts.

In that BBC version, Ian Holm plays Frodo.

Is it unabridged?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

Is it unabridged?

No, it’s rearranged a bit as well. e.g. they show Gollum getting captured and tortured directly rather than just letting you know after the fact

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

skasion posted:

No, it’s rearranged a bit as well. e.g. they show Gollum getting captured and tortured directly rather than just letting you know after the fact

Pity.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I believe they also omitted Ho Tom Merry Tom Bombadillo!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mahoning posted:

I believe they also omitted Ho Tom Merry Tom Bombadillo!

That's a crime. The stuff was made for radio.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hope that they find a secret codicil to Tolkien's will stating that no adaptation of LOTR in any form can exist if any of the Tom Bombadil section is excluded or abridged in any way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the bit from the beginning up to bree is a good story in and of itself

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

the bit from the beginning up to bree is a good story in and of itself

It’s a microcosmic decent into faerie with a miraculous / brave / heroic rescue in the barrow. Plus Tom foreshadows a bunch of poo poo that the (new) reader would have no idea about but is still cool. And Frodo has an important god dream iirc

It owns

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I hope that they find a secret codicil to Tolkien's will stating that no adaptation of LOTR in any form can exist if any of the Tom Bombadil section is excluded or abridged in any way.

Grim faced but resolute, I begin snapping my extended edition dvds in half

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Bombadil aside. The first movie is also always my favorite because it sticks closest to the book and nails the tone shift from Hobbit 2: Electric Boogaloo to holy poo poo immortal ghosts are gonna eat our souls.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Reading The Hobbit each night to my kids has been great. We've just done the bit after the riddles where Gollum runs past Bilbo- at which point my kid yelled "Bilbo's got the ring!" and it made me so happy...

On another note, what's the chronology of Fellowship being written? I've got a crackpot theory brewing. You may have heard of the ancient Lachish Letters. They were found by a British team back in 1938, in the ruins of a fortress guard-house, dating back to Babylon's invasion of Judah. One includes the line "we are looking for the signal-fires of Lachish, for we can no longer see Azekah." Poor buggers were watching their other fortresses get snuffed out one by one, by the advancing army. I was wondering if this little discovery could have had any influence on the description of Balin's tomb in Moria- that image of a ruined fortification, and the desperate scrawls of a doomed scribe as they recount their etc etc......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

JRRT says in the preface that he got to Balin’s tomb and stopped writing for a while in late 1940; Christopher spends some time arguing in Return of the Shadow (iirc) that he misremembered and it was 1939 instead. But either way, the Book of Mazarbul stuff that follows that would have been written in or after 1940. So definitely possible.