Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ike and Tina Turner also. Jokes about Ike's shittiness aside, they made good music together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ike and Tina Turner also. Jokes about Ike's shittiness aside, they made good music together.

They wouldn’t be the first group that came to mind when I thought about pre-Beatles Rock n roll

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Artists, with some song suggestions:

Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou, Garden Party (which came years after his teen idol days)
Dion and the Belmonts - Runaround Sue, The Wanderer, Teenager in Love
Del Shannon - Runaway, Keep Searchin', Hats off to Larry
Jan and Dean - Surf City, Dead Man's Curve, Drag City
The Ventures - for instrumentals. Many are covers, but songs such as the 2000 Pound Bee and Walk Don't Run are solid.

Phil Spector stuff - a horrible person, but extremely innovative and influential.

The early years of the Beach Boys has some really good stuff (and a lot of filler) and I can get really specific on recommendations for them for the pre-Pet Sounds time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Your should also dig into R&B and country music, because those are the roots of rock and roll. I'm not an expert, but here's a very basic list. I hope someone can do a better job than I could ever hope to do.

Robert Johnson
George Jones (the early stuff like White Lightning)
Big Mama Thornton
Elmore James

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how Early R'n'B histography has changed, but this is a pretty good primer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW77zv8jrZI

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 10, 2020

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Thought of a couple of more 1950s groups to explore.

Everly Brothers - some of their hits were country crossovers as well. All I Have to Is Dream and Devoted to You are standouts.

The Platters - They did a ton of good stuff and it's timeless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfBboBz3yoc

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Type O Negative?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

Type O Negative?

Life Is Killing Me, go forward if you like it gothier and backward if you like it punkier

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I like a lot of Type O Negative's songs but I don't think any of their albums are all that great. That said, I'd recommend Bloody Kisses or October Rust as a starting point.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Also check out Carnivore, Pete Steele's previous band.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I listened to Maps and Heads Will Roll, so is the entire Yeah Yeah Yeahs discography worth checking out?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Maps is off their first album which is a good album, but I think it is mostly different from those two songs. I would definitely recommend the first album.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

I listened to Maps and Heads Will Roll, so is the entire Yeah Yeah Yeahs discography worth checking out?

Yeah. Maps is from the first album, Heads Will Roll is from their 3rd album, and they only have 4 albums. Go for it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'd like listen to more Bonnie Prince Billy, but there's so much, and it all seems so indistinguishable until it grows on me. I like I See a Darkness and Superwolf a lot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I have Guns N Rose's Appetite for Destruction, and Chinese Democracy (thanks to it being in the Rock Band game). However, "November Rain" is one of my most hated songs ever, and I hate ballady rock from that time. But I feel like I should have more GnR in my music. Should I bother if I hate the ballad poo poo? Is Use Your Illusion 1 good other than that one track? I also saw a "Lies" EP that apparently was made into a LP, but half of it is acoustic, and the other half is covers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

IUG posted:

But I feel like I should have more GnR in my music.

Why?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Use your Illusion albums have some great songs: Right Next Door to Hell, Get in the Ring, You Could be Mine, Garden of Eden. November Rains a good song but its been played to death. Honestly if you took my favourite songs from both albums I might prefer it over Appetite but you could do worse

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Use Your Illusion albums have enough good tracks between them that I think it's worth listening through each of them once.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't know honestly. The first album is good, and they've been around a while. It's just weird to have only the first and last album they made. (I'm assuming that Chinese Democracy was the last thing they put out, given how long it took to come out.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

"Appetite for Destruction is the only good GnR album" is a perfectly reasonable position to take.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Good enough for me then. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on any classic rock albums because of the awful, awful "November Rain".

Awful.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
...and you will know us by the trail of dead?

A song of theirs came up on my Spotify suggestions, and I listened to the newest album, but it's so, I dunno, schizophrenic? Like every song could be a different band.

Is there a good place to start in their huge catalog?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

A song of theirs came up on my Spotify suggestions, and I listened to the newest album, but it's so, I dunno, schizophrenic? Like every song could be a different band.

Source Tags & Codes is a widely considered classic that kind of overshadows their discography.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

Source Tags & Codes is a widely considered classic that kind of overshadows their discography.

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ultrafilter posted:

"Appetite for Destruction is the only good GnR album" is a perfectly reasonable position to take.

Lies is a pretty good album until you realize that One in a Million isn't Axl being ironic, it's how he really feels.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Source Tags and Codes is the place to start for sure, and from there generally if you want more punk and post punk sounding move back in time and if you want more orchestral art rock stuff move forwards.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

regulargonzalez posted:

Lies is a pretty good album until you realize that One in a Million isn't Axl being ironic, it's how he really feels.

I re-listened to Lies recently for the first time since I was a teenager and yeah when I got to One in a Million I was just like. "Oh. Oh no...."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Epi Lepi posted:

I re-listened to Lies recently for the first time since I was a teenager and yeah when I got to One in a Million I was just like. "Oh. Oh no...."

Fun fact - the deluxe remastered version of Appetite for Destruction includes the Lies EP. But they did not include One in a Million. Yeah, even today the band is distancing themselves from it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Axl is a liberal who tweets anti-Trump stuff all the time now so I'm pretty sure he's changed in that regard.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
A completely unironic answer is that Spaghetti Incident is the best GNR album just for the fact that it will hip you to awesome bands who influenced GNR like The Damned or New York Dolls. Also it was curated mainly by Duff McKagan who's the best dude and he played in various punk bands. Ain't It Fun is one of the best songs ever written and I don't think I'd ever hear about Peter Laughner if not for GNR.

It also has a Charles Manson song on it, which is kinda interesting but unimportant.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Grails?

Most of my experience with listening to them was my tattoo artist playing their albums a lot towards the end of long sessions, but saw someone with their shirt at the grocery store today and figured no time like the present to check them out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kiss?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Best place to start would be asking for consent. You can start with just holding hands and looking in each others' eyes, and then slowly move in.

Oh the band? Start with Kiss Alive as a good overview of their biggest stuff, it has a lot of energy and is considered one of the best live albums of all time. If you want a studio album, Detroit Rock City is a great place to start, but I'm partial to Love Gun just because the title track is one of the banginest songs that exists.

Voodoofly posted:

Grails?

Most of my experience with listening to them was my tattoo artist playing their albums a lot towards the end of long sessions, but saw someone with their shirt at the grocery store today and figured no time like the present to check them out.

Doomsdayer's Holiday is the best thing I've heard from them. It stands out as a very memorable album, whereas a lot of their other stuff sounds very samey. If you listen to it and want more, check out the rest of their catalogue, but I think DH is their high water mark.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Best place to start would be asking for consent. You can start with just holding hands and looking in each others' eyes, and then slowly move in.

may i kiss you please

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

may i kiss you please

See now you get it

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Oh the band? Start with Kiss Alive as a good overview of their biggest stuff, it has a lot of energy and is considered one of the best live albums of all time.

Way I heard it, Alive is apparently both a stellar live album and a testament to studio recording as well ...

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

meefistopheles posted:

Source Tags and Codes is the place to start for sure, and from there generally if you want more punk and post punk sounding move back in time and if you want more orchestral art rock stuff move forwards.

This.

If you were to pick on additional album in either direction, I'd say listen to Madonna for their earlier stuff and World's Apart for their later stuff. Source Tags and Codes is deffo the place to start though.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Where do I start with Devo? I know how influential they were outside the context of "Whip It", but that's it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alvarez IV posted:

Where do I start with Devo? I know how influential they were outside the context of "Whip It", but that's it.

The "Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!" album for sure. And it's the first one, so you can go chronologically.

Also, their last album "Something For Everybody" is also great. I'm personally filling in the center of their discography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Alvarez IV posted:

Freedom of Choice should be the first stop, followed by New Traditionalists and Are We Not Men....

After that, it’s all “Advanced Spudboy” from there up.

Personally, New Trads is my favorite, but Freedom at least has a song it two you already know.

The other “hardcore Devotee” stuff is to taste, and not really for general consumption. However, Oh No, It’s Devo is still pretty approachable. Beyond that it gets more experimental.